• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Michigan Project M Power Rankings

fZk

Smash Lord
For this season only 3.5 tournaments will be considered, this means that all the tourneys that happened between the end of the last season and the release of 3.5 either won't be counted or considered very lightly. This is due to the big differences between the two games and the fact that 3.5 represents the current meta. Since 3.5's release many players have been exposed as the frauds that they are and that they were nothing more than carried by broken characters. For example, me.

The 3.5 tourneys that have happened are:

GVSU Grand Prix 2
KZOO Smash Fall Circuit Championship
Rootfest 15
Manor VI
Beaching Biweekly 5
Beaching Biweekly 6
Ish Now
Gamer's Gasuntlet #1 (No bracket)
Kissfest
Big Beach House
Gamer's Gasuntlet #2
Manor VII

Last edited:

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
can someone tldr for me the difference between 3.5 and previous
Major differences, not an easy tl;dr but I'll attempt. Worse recoveries all across the board, change in direction aka getting rid of the jank, most high tiers got nerfed, some mid and even low mid tiers too. Basically a redesign

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Gauntlet (sets):
Lordy 2 Lain 0
fZk 0 Lain 1
Daniella 0 Lain 1
Daniella 0 Lordy 1
Daniella 1 NoJ 0

Kissfest (sets):
Lordy 2 Tetra 0
Lordy 1 Lain 0
Lordy 1 fZk 0
Blake 0 Tetra 2
Blake 1 Lain 0
Super 1 fZk 0
Lain 1 Super 0
Blake 1 Super 0

Brackets really aren't necessary, but I'll see if I can get them.

Last edited:

CosmoKunIsSoKawaii

Smash Cadet
For this season only 3.5 tournaments will be considered, this means that all the tourneys that happened between the end of the last season and the release of 3.5 either won't be counted or considered very lightly. This is due to the big differences between the two games and the fact that 3.5 represents the current meta. Since 3.5's release many players have been exposed as the frauds that they are and that they were nothing more than carried by broken characters. For example, me.

The 3.5 tourneys that have happened are:

GVSU Grand Prix 2
KZOO Smash Fall Circuit Championship
Rootfest 15
Manor VI
Beaching Biweekly 5
Beaching Biweekly 6
Ish Now
Gamer's Gasuntlet #1 (No bracket)
Kissfest (No bracket)

There are probably more that i missed.
Here are the brackets for Kissfest 1 http://ZTD.challonge.com/Kissfest1PMSingles and BigBeachHouse beachsmash.challonge.com/bbhpmsingles

Last edited:

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
For this season only 3.5 tournaments will be considered, this means that all the tourneys that happened between the end of the last season and the release of 3.5 either won't be counted or considered very lightly.
...Oh. So my wins against Gahtzu and VGBC | Redd are... alright then. Yeah, that makes... okay.

So for significant sets, I've lost to Lordy, Lain, Dirtboy, Blake, Aeros, Beach and Ginger so far in 3.5.
I've beaten Dirtboy, Ginger, and Beach in return for my loss, and am up 2-1 on Dirtboy. I've not taken sets off Blake or Lain since the change, and only fought Aeros once. I've also beaten JZ(OK PR) and Freze(4th at BBH), as well as Benji. I am down sets against Lordy, but took a set against him last weekend.

I'm in a major deficit this season without BH3 being taken into consideration.

inb4kickedoffPR

#DirtboyforPR

fZk

Smash Lord
...Oh. So my wins against Gahtzu and VGBC | Redd are... alright then. Yeah, that makes... okay.

So for significant sets, I've lost to Lordy, Lain, Dirtboy, Blake, Aeros, Beach and Ginger so far in 3.5.
I've beaten Dirtboy, Ginger, and Beach in return for my loss, and am up 2-1 on Dirtboy. I've not taken sets off Blake or Lain since the change, and only fought Aeros once. I've also beaten JZ(OK PR) and Freze(4th at BBH), as well as Benji. I am down sets against Lordy, but took a set against him last weekend.

I'm in a major deficit this season without BH3 being taken into consideration.

inb4kickedoffPR

#DirtboyforPR
Everybody's wins and losses are getting getting scrapped so you can't complain. This is not targeting any player, we want the PR to represent an accurate picture of MI's current talent and that can't be done with a game that's no longer played. It would have been better to extend the previous season until the release of 3.5 but nobody knew when that was releasing, and it I wasn't in charge of the dates then.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
The more I think about it, the more I disagree with the decision, though. The game has received many changes, and I agree they're nearly separate entities, but there is more to the game than characters. There's a lot to be said about player skill itself, which is why LOE1 continues to perform well despite not really playing the game – his player skill transcends versions. Furthermore, there is a level of adaptation to the new version that is a steeper climb than others. Yes, I am talking selfishly here, but the changes performed to both mine and your characters were significant changes in the way we had to play our characters. However if Kissfest was any indication, that isn't going to stop either of us from relearning and reclaiming our top spots.

If anything, only counting 3.5 is a disservice to the players, rather than an accurate representation. There are so many factors at play right now that are jumbling up what we expect from this list, from the fact that, for many Smashers, we just got over Finals, so they haven't been appearing to many tournaments over the course of 3.5, or being able to play period. Then there is the obvious character adaptation, things that have obviously taken time to do. Obviously we weight more recent victories over earlier ones, which pushes 3.0 significance even further, but it shouldn't ever be considered 'scrapped.' That's still player skill and character familiarity vs. player skill and character familiarity - it was all of the players at the top of their ability at the time, same as with any other patch.

Seriously, even though you think top players are going to be 'exposed' after the update, their characters had nothing to do with their top status.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Ivy is still very good. Get at JZ. Most of the "Brawl" characters are still very good. I wouldn't be surprised if they get nerfed again in a year or two when the metagame surpasses the Melee characters.

Edit: It is more likely that they will remove some of the nerfs placed on the Melee chars. I don't like what they did to spacies in 3.5.

Edit2: I agree with fzk.

Last edited:

Nominate10

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-3932-8404
Ivy is okay... she's not awful, but not even a contender for top tier status anymore IMO. That's not my issue with her though. My issue is that she feels completely different. If I want to continue with PM, I have to relearn her once again (see: 2.6 - > 3.0). It's very annoying and I don't have the same interest in PM anymore now that smash 4 is out and is my primary focus.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Ivy is still a good character. You just can't get a free kill of *insert a throw* + upb. She has other tools that make her annoying. I say she's mid/high tier.

Nominate10

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-3932-8404
Not saying she's bad. Just different. Again.

Last edited:

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Putting in my 2¢

Going from the last season's PR and off the recent tournaments. I'm excluding inactive & OOS players such as Loe1, Anther, Ally, JZ, Freze, etc, but I am still taking notice of how MI players hold up against those not mentioned.

In a slightly ordered list:

Lordy- dominating wins over everybody in MI unless Ally is in town. Has been taking most of the west side tourneys. Only placing lower at BBH taking 5th

Tetra- consistent top player performance. Recently taking wins / the tourney over Lordy at GG 2, but still counting losses from Kissfest and GG 1 as well as losing to Freze & Lain at BBH

Sol- haven't seen too much other than taking 2nd to Lordy in a few West MI tourneys & placing top 8 at most tourneys. Beat Lordy at BBH in Loser's.

Lain- fairly inconsistent top player, can play extremely well getting top 3 one day, then place top 8 the next. Overall does well against most of MI. Credible win at BBH taking 1st. Staggered performance at Kissfest (possibly due to late start on all events inb4johns)

Blake- strong player from West MI & can be a brutal force. Did well at Kissfest going 1-2 / 2-3 against Tetra and beating Sol & Lain.

Benji- great player from West MI, but I know little about him other than his consistent performance in West MI

Toast- hidden boss from East MI. His strong showing in brackets with training from both East & West MI should earn him a spot on PR. He beat PR recently and has close games against Lain & Blake. Does decently against Lordy and Tetra.

Honorable mentions:
Tbird, Dirtboi, fZk

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
It's amusing that your ordered list has me at three and your reasonings play me out as the weakest player on there. I don't agree with the placements (Anther and LOE1 have been to at least two tournaments, I believe), if I had to rank people right now:

1. LOE1
2. Lordy
3. Lain
4. Blake
5. Tetra/Sol
6. Sol/Tetra
7. Anther
8. Benji

Reasoning for placing Anther so low comes from his lackluster placings following 3.5, and his unfortunate finish at BH4, but he's definitely the wildcard of the bunch. Lordy, honestly, should be #1, but a couple of very costly losses against LOE1 treats him to #2. I've probably had the worst losses following 3.5, but after BBH I certainly clawed a lot of good victories in. I got a good feel for Tetra while I was there, and I'd put myself above her, but by loss power, I might be lower. Blake loses to Tetra so far, but he's got set wins on Lordy and Lain, and Lain's BBH win and consistent top placings earn him a Top 3 spot in that stacked tournament.

Toast is an Honorable Mention, and I'm curious how he would play against players such as DIRTBOOOOOOOOI or fZk. I really like his style of play and wanna see him do really well in the future.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
fZk for sure as 9th. 10th could go to a lot of different people, and it would be disingenious to discount talent I'm not too sure about, but...

10th is either TBird, Toast, Dirtboy, Aeros, or Heinz.

Samn

Smash Cadet
Dirtboy, i'm gonna have to MM you again some time. I'm not convinced your a better Squirtle than I, and I don't mean to john but I wasn't playing well in our set. I was in a melee mindset at the time. GGs though.

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
Dirtboy, i'm gonna have to MM you again some time. I'm not convinced your a better Squirtle than I, and I don't mean to john but I wasn't playing well in our set. I was in a melee mindset at the time. GGs though.
Haha that's fine, I mean I definitely was more in a Melee mindset also, it's all my local scene plays and I seem to be paying the price a little but with my pm skill also... I'm down to mm anytime though.

D e l t a

Stating in advance, I don't mean to down on any player. It's all my observation based on tourney results both firsthand and in person. Sol, you're a great player, with notable wins/losses. I apologize if I seemed to only list your losses. As I stated, I only gave a slightly ordered list because I copy/pasted the reasons I sent my friend on how I felt about the current PR. I tried to give approximate reasons for the given spots and I understand it isn't 100% in order.

With that being said, if Loe1 is on PR then I'll agree he should be #1 with a solid winning record over most of the PR candidates. It sucks he can't drive himself & has school like a big part of the scene does.
Agreed Anther is solid at 7th.
Not saying BBH doesn't count nor am I dis-crediting any Wins / Losses, I simply feel it's not an accurate representation of our PR. Though it was an exciting tourney to watch, the placings seemed fairly skewed compared to the other tourneys for this season.
I don't believe Toast has played fZk before in tourney. I thought he played Dirboiiiii before? I see your point with the HM for him and others.

The toss up between Lain/Tetra is that Lain & Tetra have approximately the same W/L record against the other PR members. Lain can beat Lordy on given days, recently Tetra has accumulated dominate wins over Lordy (still a losing record overall). Lain has a better record against Loe1 iirc as Tetra has not beaten Loe1 in tourney last I checked. Blake beats Lain, Lain / Tetra go back and forth, and Tetra beats Blake. However, Tetra has a better W/L record on Lain & Blake.

The point brought up about Blake's set wins on Lordy/Lain is intriguing. I do not know much of Blake's tourney history. Do you know of his record against Lain/Lordy?

Last edited:

D e l t a

Imo I would say:

1. Loe1 (if PR'd)
2. Lordy
3. Lain/Tetra
4. Tetra/Lain
5. Blake/Sol
6. Sol/Blake
7. Anther
8. Benji
9/10 in order of consideration: fZk / Toast / Dirtboy / Tbird / other HMs

Top Bottom