• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Michigan Melee Social Thread and Power Rankings

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Alright, so I know March is going to be pretty Melee-heavy with some of you going to Chicago on the 3rd, followed by SWEET VII two weeks after.

But during the last weekend in March (Friday and Saturday to be exact) I'll have my house to myself. Would anyone be interested in a Melee super fest of epic proportions? It could be an overnight ordeal, and those driving would not have to feel obligated to leave late Friday.

On a side note: I want a redo of reverse mains! :)
I'm hosting an AA tourney on the 31st in case you hadn't heard! It'll be a separate event from SWEET... I'll have a thread up soon.

tournaments make me wanna play way more they make me realize how terrible at this game i am
Tourneys are just the most effective way to improve, they really teach you what works, what doesn't, and especially how to handle higher stakes (pressuring your opponents into poor choices, making the most out of punishing opponents bad habits, etc.)

Yesterday was a mad stacked tourney though. I can't believe how many OoS people turned up, and the huge numbers of local players too. That's a good thing, cause it gets boring playing the same people and styles over and over again (I know I definitely don't enjoy locals as much as tourneys when OoS comes). The Melee community is still going strong for sure.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Who is still in Ann Arbor over spring break? Gio and I will be playing at my apartment around 8pm tonight. Anyone else in town is welcome to join in.

kd-

Smash Lord
There's a Gamestop on State street just south of Ann Arbor, in Saline, that I was gonna go to on lunch break at 12 (30 min from now). I dunno if you recall, but my controller's y button was either kinda sticky or super sticky, so I don't really trust the Gamestop. Plus they don't even let you try them out beforehand, so it's a gamble. I just bought it within the last 7 days so I can return it, or exchange it in the last 30.

If we didn't have 50 million smash events in the upcoming month or so I'd buy off the Nintendo site like you were planning to do, but I needed a controller for Sweet and now the Chicago tourney

kd-

Smash Lord
yo GG the Gamestop didn't have another controller, so I just got a refund. I may have to sink to the level of Get Your Game Off Stupid On Game On, I hate that place but if it has a controller...

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I remember at least 3 other AA people saying they needed a new controller... who were these people? I'm gonna go ahead and buy a few official Nintendo controllers from their website this week, since I also want a new controller myself. Speak up, I want to know how many I should buy.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I've gotten controllers from thrift stores and such but something always ends up slightly wrong with them. Dead zones on the analog stick, shoulder buttons that stop clicking after awhile, etc. so I'm kinda resigned to just shelling out $$ and breaking in a fresh controller from Nintendo.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
It is definitely worth investing in and breaking in a new controller. I think I'm just gonna buy five controllers and hope that the 2-3 others I remember still actually need one.

kd-

Smash Lord
@Rainier I get off at 5. If you want to play, text me your addy 586-747-6192

@Roki yo I gave my broken Gamecube and controllers to a friend a LONG time ago (I got a cube when it first came out WITH melee :]), which he ended up fixing ( 8th grade-ish). I would rage and slam my controller onto the top of the Gamecube, which chipped the paint off the bottom of the controller, malfunctioned the c-stick and made the Gamecube not recognize that the cover was closed - apparently my friend fixed the cube to always think the cover was closed, and could then run while the top was open.

Around Junior year (edit: of college) I decided to actually get a cube again and play melee instead of just watch youtube videos, so then I bought a Cube/controller from Get Your Game On, but the controller soon malfunctioned - Only up-left on the D-Pad registered, controller would move on it's own, c-stick was broken. A friend of mine gave me his silver controller in good condition, but I broke it after Zinoto scraped me at a recent smashfest. I don't remember if I just had my other black controller lying around my parents' house or if I bought 2 from Get Your Game On, but it worked when I went to BLiu's pre-break smashfest, and then we came back from getting Wendy's and it moved on it's own.

TL;DR None of it is my fault! Okay, maybe the one was...

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
EDIT: James, I forgot, me and ORLY already talked about teaming awhile ago for this. We'll team at another tourney sometime, but I gotta rep the double Falcon at this one :cool:

Right now we got 4 people goin to Chicago. If any others want to join in, then we'll take the minivan, otherwise I'm hoping to just drive my Civic.

Top Bottom