• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Michigan Melee Social Thread and Power Rankings

iTz Coburn

Smash Cadet
I was redirected here from a member for a post I had about looking for Smash players so I hope this is the place. I've never done a Smash tournement but I would love too. I live in Port Huron, Michigan. I don't have anyone to play/practice agaisnt because none of my friends will play this or even take the time to get better. If anyone is close to me I would love for you to come over and play Smash for a few hours so I can also better myself. And, if possible I would like to go to smash tournements and would be willing to pay gas for picking me up and droping me back off. Feel free to contact me, as I will be checking my messages on here regularly because I am desperate to play other people.

Scythe

Smash Master
I should be ranked first since i beat velynn at smym

it was his fox : /

Dart!

Smash Master
1. Mikey has attended the five tournaments that we required between April 2010 and now, plus he's attended three tournaments since March. He's also 3-0 vs Duck during that stretch, 2-0 vs myself, and 2-0 vs SCOTU. He's also beaten top OoS opponents like Axe, Overtriforce, Trail x4, Mogwai, and Aniolas.

2. I actually voted for SCOTU above me, but the other panelists didn't. It's a close call for sure. He's 4-3 vs me lifetime, but is 1-2 in our last three sets. He has a better record vs Lain and Kalamazhu, but he has very few recent OoS matches (not saying that can hurt his ranking, but it certainly can't help him).

3. It's true Shady has beaten Velynn six of the last nine times they've met in tourney, but the head-to-head record is only one factor we considered. Velynn is 7-0 vs Moose, 7-0 vs Duck (Shady is 3-6 vs Duck), and has a VERY strong OoS record including wins vs Teczero, Dart x2, Little England, Pakman, Taki x2, BigD x3, Vro x3, Eggm, Kels, BigR, Rat, and Watty. Shady's career OoS record can't compare at all. Like I said earlier, Shady's lack of traveling can't hurt his ranking, but it definitely can't help his ranking either. On the other hand, Velynn's career OoS performance helps him a lot.

4. Yeah, we didn't consider tournament placings. If you lose to Mango and M2K in winners and losers to end up getting last place, you aren't judged any lower than someone who lost to Mango and M2K to end up getting a higher placing just because of how the bracket worked out. We only looked at who you've beaten and who you've lost to, as well as career out-of-state performance.

5. 1der doesn't live in Michigan.

In the first reply post, I've put up the career head-to-head records and career OoS performance that we looked at for everyone considered for the power ranking. Josh, the main thing you're forgetting about is OoS performance. Traveling to another region and taking out their players is always very impressive and can earn someone a lot of credit for this ranking.

@ Dan: Shaeden requested not to be ranked because he's "never coming to another tourney again" =(
technically his wins vs me weren't out of state. we were in michigan...

Dart!

Smash Master
should be worded differently. It's not "OoS record" it's record vs "OoS players"
def a long *** drive for me :(

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Yeah it's supposed to indicate overall performance vs OoS players, or players who aren't MI regulars right now. Like, even though Rat and Trail were in MI previously, since they're not currently part of the regular MI scene they're considered an OoS player for our purposes.

Scythe

Smash Master
then you should have a massive embarrassing loss to me rob, since i beat you in MI

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Dre put in some work last tourney... he beat Stratford (would be ranked or HM if he lived in MI more), Abu (HM), and HIV+ (beat SCOTU earlier in the tourney).

Definitely a solid performance but we gotta see more of that at another tourney!

Moooose

Smash Champion
**** u i wanna update it =p
i cant remember rob said he beasted.
unofficial update from MOOSE: slayer at 10, dre is HM

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I think that there needs to be at least several months to update the power rankings. Even if you pick a shorter interval, then you'd need to at least consider all the results from the last several months as well.

Stratford

Smash Champion
I agree that it shouldn't be updated after like every tourney... that would create pointless work. Plus there's two more tourneys coming up August 13th and the 27th. Might as well wait until you guys have more to take into account.

Good **** indeed to Dre yesterday though.

For the record, I'm in Bloomfield Hills, not West Bloomfield.

Hopefully this PR will be a good motivator for new guys and vets alike... and hopefully it won't cause too many salt levels to rise lol. Though salt can be a good motivator too.

It warms my heart to see Michigan melee thriving like it is. Good **** everyone!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
velynn is 2-1 vs me!

also when did duck play me in tourney
Corrected the set count vs Velynn, lol

Rob's House 1 for when you played Duck? No results thread, so I kinda went by vague memory... correct me if I'm wrong and you guys didn't play

Scythe

Smash Master
juggleguy is making stuff up lol

he also forgot that he lost to Sago at the last Chicago tourney :yeahboi:

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
nah duck beat me in some friendlies but i remember he specifically asked me afterwards who i would have used if i played him in tourney because he feared the ganon

Top Bottom