• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miami Brawl Tournament!!!

Am4Jorge

Smash Apprentice
Miami Smash Bros Brawl Tournament! Hosted by B.A.M.F

Where: Play N Trade in Hammocks ( 10201 Hammocks BLVD #136)
When: Friday March 13th
Time: 9:00 P.M. (be there at least 15 min early)
Cost to enter: $5 per person

Rules of tournament

1. No foulplay or cursing
2. No controller modification
3. No items
4. Stage Neutrals: Final Destination, Battlefield. Counterpicks: Corneria, Yoshi's Island, Smashville.
5. 3 stock match
6. Single Elimination Tournament!

TOURNAMENT WINNER RECIEVES $50 CASH MONEY!

2nd and 3rd place winners get free entry for next tournament!

*Controllers will be provided but you may bring your own

If you have any questions or concerns call Jorge at 786-246-3143

There arent many of these in miami so hope everyone can make it out, please reply if you are coming. Lets smash it up!

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
what more rules do you want?
Taken from Gigs:

Both tournaments are Double Elimination as well as best two out of three with the semifinals and finals best 3 out of 5.

Neutrals:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpicks:

Pokemon Stadium 1
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Pirate Ship
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Brinstar
Luigi's Mansion
Pokemon Stadium 2
Norfair

Banned:

Rainbow Cruise
Pipes (Yoshi's Island - Melee)
Distant Planet
Pictochat
Onett
Green Greens
Corneria
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Bridge of Eldin
Big Blue
Mario Circuit
Shadow Moses Island
Port Town
Skyworld
Mushroomy Kingdom
Rumble Falls
New Pork City
Summit
75M
Mario Bros. Old
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
WarioWare
Spear Pillar

now, the rules you gave are so short and limited it does not even offer a fair tournament to most players. but hey, your tournament your rules. no one's going to change that.

errr, you know how most tournaments run as....right?

Also, maybe there should be a pot instead of a simple 50$ cash prize.
It'd attract more players to come andd attend.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
agreed with soda here. but personally i would love to goto a final destination only tourney (lol such an unfair advantage in my favor =P)

anyway yea change your rules to current tournament rules and u will see results. hopefully this can be some good practice since theires a tourney on the 14th =3

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
i forgot to paste a certain part but w/e
i'm sure it'll change soon

i mean it better

also, i'll try to go to this.

edit:

wtf this isn't even in MIAMI MIAMI, this is so far southwest lol.
only going if i have a ride ~

Am4Jorge

Smash Apprentice
Hey Soda, Im actually almost basing this tournament on the ones 8 bit used to have. I went to one of those and it was really hot and unorganized so I'm trying to fix that. The reason i made it a set prize with limited rules is because it's our first big tournament in a nice place so i don't want to over complicate things. If this one goes well and we're able to draw people we'll up the stakes next tournament. I can assure you this is going to run smoothly and everyone will have a fair shot at winning. If anyone has a problem with final destination we'll try to work something out the day of, but obviously i choose it because its the most evened out stage with no obstacles so its fair game. Oh and Darktemplio its not 2/3 this time but if you play with falco or fox im sure you have a good chance in final destination. Thanks for all the feedback! Btw our clan name stands for Bad A$$ Mother F**kers lol

Master Raven

Smash Master
If it's not 2/3 then what is it then?

These rules are very wild for a Smash tourney. You should just stick with the common ruleset that FlatSoda posted if you want a lot of the good players to attend, as most of them including myself are pretty turned off by it.

Just for the record I also happen to live in Miami. :p

Am4Jorge

Smash Apprentice
Well obviously theres going to be a Semifinals and Finals that goes without saying. The tourney starts at 9 so i cant do a best 3 out of 5 cause that would take too long. But i willl consider 2/3 for next time. Like I said I'm keeping this one simple. If you feel you're good enough to win then you shouldn't have a problem. Not every tournament HAS to have the same rules.

Am4Jorge

Smash Apprentice
I edited the rules a bit for those who think its too vague or unfair. Thats the best i can do for this tournament.

Am4Jorge

Smash Apprentice
I edited the ruled a bit for those who thought it was too vague or unfair, thats the best i can do for this tournament.

nevershootme

Smash Master
Hey Soda, Im actually almost basing this tournament on the ones 8 bit used to have. I went to one of those and it was really hot and unorganized so I'm trying to fix that. The reason i made it a set prize with limited rules is because it's our first big tournament in a nice place so i don't want to over complicate things. If this one goes well and we're able to draw people we'll up the stakes next tournament. I can assure you this is going to run smoothly and everyone will have a fair shot at winning. If anyone has a problem with final destination we'll try to work something out the day of, but obviously i choose it because its the most evened out stage with no obstacles so its fair game. Oh and Darktemplio its not 2/3 this time but if you play with falco or fox im sure you have a good chance in final destination. Thanks for all the feedback! Btw our clan name stands for Bad A$$ Mother F**kers lol
first off, hot and unorganized? Dude I was working on brackets if random people would shut up on when singles interrupting me. not to mention the program i use regularly crashes often and had to double check the brackets often to see fit. ALSO, the AC was busted so that's why the room was hot for no reason, that was something i can't do at all. plus there was 62 players.... keep in mind for a big tournament like that it ended on time for a double elimination bracket.

Am4Jorge

Smash Apprentice
When i said 8bit I meant 8bit the venue not you, sorry bout the confusion, ive never been to any of your tournaments. And Soda we get it were aware you dont have to go, i already know personally 15 people going. Thanks anyway.

GrunJ-MonkE

Smash Cadet
I'm assuming this is not a regular PnT tournament....the tourny is just being "housed" there, right?

anyways, PnT hammocks must be doin something right cuz they got 30+ ppl at all there tournies thus far, and that is with credit as a prize....

I'm a little surprised at the rules, cuz not even PnT has the rules that limited, but w/e....improvement comes with trial and error....I'm down to go, and hopefully it is worthwhile :)....if those 15 people include "the regulars" then it'll be great...

Am4Jorge

Smash Apprentice
Hey Grunj-monke, thanks for the optimism. I'm pretty positive the tourney is going to be successful. And yeah you're right It's just being housed at the play n trade in hammocks. Hope to see you there.

Fooga

Smash Cadet
If it's not 2/3 then what is it then?

These rules are very wild for a Smash tourney. You should just stick with the common ruleset that FlatSoda posted if you want a lot of the good players to attend, as most of them including myself are pretty turned off by it.

Just for the record I also happen to live in Miami. :p

Well I dont think I'd listen to someone thats so bent on hijacking a thread. And if these rules are so 'wild' then I guess when you and your 'good players' are outside your comfort zone, you just complain? So then what you go to like..2 tournaments? I've been to all sorts of tournaments including ones like these, and these actually work out well because there's less confusion. If you dont like it, dont show up. Unfortunately I live far so I dont think I'm going to make it, but good luck to you.

GrunJ-MonkE

Smash Cadet
any typical single elimination tournament. i've been through tons of those... it ain't pretty
indeed....they're quite ugly, but w.e, ppl learn (PnT Kendall learned their lesson....I think?)

>.> ... <.< .... >.> where's the love?.....lol madddd hate in this thread, son!

Fooga

Smash Cadet
You obviously haven't been to the ones in the hammocks, the last one was like this and it had 40+ ppl. I just dont get that if you guys dont like this tournament, you bash it. Alot of ppl are going already. And nevershootme, for someone who's trying so desperately to make a tournament at fiu...I mean do you even go there? Every thursday we have a tournament there that goes from around 9 to midnight.

nevershootme

Smash Master
You obviously haven't been to the ones in the hammocks, the last one was like this and it had 40+ ppl. I just dont get that if you guys dont like this tournament, you bash it. Alot of ppl are going already. And nevershootme, for someone who's trying so desperately to make a tournament at fiu...I mean do you even go there? Every thursday we have a tournament there that goes from around 9 to midnight.

dude. im at student at FIU and working with the staff there isn't easy... it seems that you love to bash at people without even proving yourself at tournaments

Darktemplio

Smash Journeyman
Gainesville, Florida, USA, North America, Mars.
fixed

10char
QFT
10truths.

Also, MY smashville has a lot of zelda music :D

...and btw, no one is bashing the tournament. ppl are just stating the ACTUAL rules. Theres no "comfort zone" which good players NEED in order to do well. Good players will do well regardless of the stage. Its the fact that some neutrals favor certain characters. Thus only having BF and FD isnt as fair as some ppl might think.

Fooga

Smash Cadet
@nevershootme, Umm dude we have tourneys there every thursday and the worst thing that happens is we have to stop playing for 5 minutes because of the cleaning ladies. You can easily host one around 9 without having to speak to anyone...not hard. Truth is I was actually looking forward to going to your spring brawl, and when i asked around there if anyone knew about it, they didnt. And who says i havent proven myself? You dont even know me XD

@Darktemplio, Actual rules? Its at play n trade...ppl can do as they please. And i dont think these rules arent as bad as ppl are taking it. But i cant think how these stages are unfair unless theres a character that finds it hard to get back to the stage in FD, but i find that unlikely since its kind of evened out. The last tourney i went to was only FD, no one seemed to have a problem with it.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Fooga, for the sake of 3 posts, and a sign up date of March 09. Let's just all hope you've lurked quite a bit.

But the reason why maybe, JUST MAYBE quite a FEW people on the boards MAY find these rules/stages UNFAIR is because in fact it is making the game very very limited. One stage? Two?

I understand it's at X location and Y is running it and Z are the rules.

Though with very defined rules, like I don't know....Maybe the SBR Rec'd ruleset?

Find them here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187735
That goes for you to, am4jorge.

No one's really trying to bash, but with the very limited ruleset it's very unappealing to most players.
Although posted earlier that there may have been 40 people at the last play n trade?

I'm pretty sure a more defined ruleset would appeal to a lot of players and perhaps...I don't know...get them to attend as well?

Just my thoughts and all.
Not really bashing, Just trying to open some eyes.

Fooga

Smash Cadet
Wow...me having 4 total posts means I dont know how tourneys work? I used to have an old account on here but its been so long I forgot it and had to make a new one =\ Your telling '8-bit' to take over and saying no ones going to come to this and yet you state you'd come if you have a ride. Im merely stating that you shouldnt judge his tournaments because its not stuff your used to, thats all. Cut him some slack.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Wow...me having 4 total posts means I dont know how tourneys work? I used to have an old account on here but its been so long I forgot it and had to make a new one =\ Your telling '8-bit' to take over and saying no ones going to come to this and yet you state you'd come if you have a ride. Im merely stating that you shouldnt judge his tournaments because its not stuff your used to, thats all. Cut him some slack.
Not at all!

I'm saying with your sign up, and post count let's HOPE that you've been around.
That's all, I've signed up not to long ago either, but that doesn't correlate with how tourneys work. That aside, it's not dreadfully important.

Telling 8-bit to take over was just a light joke. I'm sure he could organize a tournament well. but push that all aside. Being that no one's coming to this?

Yeah, I guess it was a harsh statement. Sorry if anyone's truly offended. I probably did state that earlier about a ride, but thinking upon the tournament and discussing it over with a few people...I decided that I probably won't be going to this. Did it really need a post? yes/no. Doesn't matter.

Not judging his tournaments whether it'll be bad/good. But it IS very limited.

It's cool though, I'm done posting.
Have fun at the tournament, post results.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
I've been to one of these tournies, the first one they held. I hear the other times they held one it turned out better, ADHD told me underground went to the last one, atthat specific play N trade.\

Wait....... Final and battle field only! -_- that should be changes, gives Falco and D3 a really bad advantage, oh well I'm still going, and ADHD is too.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Rules of tournament

1. No foulplay or cursing
2. No controller modification
3. No items
4. Stage must be final destination or battlefield
5. Falco only
6. 3 stock match
7. Single Elimination Tournament!
Fixed.

Really though, looking at the rules it's obvious that they aren't target "pros" but just players in general. I do think that making some small changes could maximize their profit.

Top Bottom