• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Light-The-Archangel

Smash Cadet
I'd love for Mewtwo to be in that gives Lucario more of a chance. ^____^

Mewtwo will be the villian and then Lucario comes in to astop him. ^______^

Boofer

Smash Ace
I had a dream that mewtwo was a high tier character. Lets hope Mewtwo is more like he was in the first pokemon movie; straight up badass.

Mewtwo can fly. HE does it at the end of the first pokemon movie i think.
That's not true flight. That's using his psychic powers on himself to make himself levitate.

But he can already come back from almost any part of the stage as long as he isn't knocked out. He doesn't need gliding or multiple jumps or floating to make himself better.

Irow

Smash Ace

But he can already come back from almost any part of the stage as long as he isn't knocked out.
See that was that's the problem, it was just so easy to get Mewtwo knocked out. Recovery
ability is pointless if your already dead.

Mewtwo will make it back into Brawl, or die tryin'. Man, that Boondock's episode was too good.

Phazon_Dude

Smash Apprentice
Ok this is what I think should be done to Mewtwo

Physical alters:

- First off his height and weight!! They both have to increase!! Mewtwo should be more tall, it would make him look cooler, scarier and more like a Mewtwo. I've so far seen animals/beast being bigger in Brawl than Humans in size a lot, this is why I have a feeling that Mewtwo will be bigger... I mean he is 6 feet!!! Also his weight should increase mostly for the gameplay, and also because Mewtwo IS heavy. Might as well make him less crappy and give him some weight, but not lower his speed.

- His voice needs to change in some levels!! Instead of an evil man laugh, they should use Mewtwo's cry and remix that with a bit of evil. His dark grunts can stay, I suppose as long as they make them less humanly.

A/smash Move changes:

-They should take out some of those purple shadow smashes and add in Psychical waves. He doesn't really revolve around darkness, he is just apparently the most cold hearted among pokemon.

-I'm not sure if they should make his smash moves stronger or more faster because I never used him much, so I don't know if that is why he sucks...

B/speacial Moves

B > Psychic/Confusion/a psychic move: I know confusion was the down B move before(right?), but I think it was an overall useless move. Instead of making anyone beside you float up into the air for a while and come back down, this move could blast a blueish psychic stream that goes flying forward and carries anyone it catches. During this move if you hold be you can tap the control stick and make the opponents fly either up, forward, or backwards. Also maybe damaging them?? Maybe a little.. You know this could be anything with the basic concept of a psychic attack.

BV Recover or Disable: It could be like ness' attack but slightly changed or something. I think actually healing hp may be cheap... but maybe limit it somehow.(This idea is only here because Mewtwo started with it in that game, and it seems like one of his main moves in some pokemon games. If this doesn't work they could stick with disable..

B Shadow Ball: Hmmmmmm... maybe it can stay do to popular demand.. popular demand.. wtf??? Ok, I don't know... but you know I suppose it may have a chance to be kept because it was a already made and even though it is a move almost certainly put in this game for Mewtwo based on the movie and I am against it. It probably won't change.

B^ Teleport: This one can basically stay the same but possibly make it better.

Final Smash/ Smash Attack(or whatever this is called now... I seem to have forgotten)

This one could vary.. I don't see how they could mess this up... Unless they do some weird thing where Mewtwo makes a Huge shadow ball and fires it and then half way Ash jumps in the middle..........

Basically this should be some huge psychic move... hopefully they keep it PSYCHIC instead of some shadow/ dark based move.

Alternative moves can be:

-Safeguard for BV.

-Reflect/Light Screen for BV.

-Psycho Cutter for B>.

-Elemental blast as B> (Not a real pokemon move) ... this move could show off Mewtwo's ability to have a lot of the elemental moves in game. This could be an attack where Mewtwo blast either Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, or Flamethrower. If this move is put it they would probably have to replace shadow ball with psychic though.

And maybe they could somehow put future sight as one of his moves... Not sure how though. Maybe it can be one of his throws. He could throw the opponent in the air, and you can see him concentrating his power and a psychic blast appears in mid air.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
-They should take out some of those purple shadow smashes and add in Psychical waves. He doesn't really revolve around darkness, he is just apparently the most cold hearted among pokemon.
Agreed.

-I'm not sure if they should make his smash moves stronger or more faster because I never used him much, so I don't know if that is why he sucks...
Here's a M2 Guide

B > Psychic/Confusion/a psychic move: I know confusion was the down B move before(right?), but I think it was an overall useless move. Instead of making anyone beside you float up into the air for a while and come back down, this move could blast a blueish psychic stream that goes flying forward and carries anyone it catches. During this move if you hold be you can tap the control stick and make the opponents fly either up, forward, or backwards. Also maybe damaging them?? Maybe a little.. You know this could be anything with the basic concept of a psychic attack.
So it's a "grab" move? Sounds pretty cool.

BV Recover or Disable: It could be like ness' attack but slightly changed or something. I think actually healing hp may be cheap... but maybe limit it somehow.(This idea is only here because Mewtwo started with it in that game, and it seems like one of his main moves in some pokemon games. If this doesn't work they could stick with disable..
I made a post about changes that could be made to Disable (and the other B-moves) earlier, but I can't be bothered to find it now.

-Elemental blast as B> (Not a real pokemon move) ... this move could show off Mewtwo's ability to have a lot of the elemental moves in game. This could be an attack where Mewtwo blast either Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, or Flamethrower. If this move is put it they would probably have to replace shadow ball with psychic though.
Just call it Tri-Attack.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Nice, I dont like being taller or taking out "those purple shadow smashes." I like the Ash joke from the Mewtwo Movie, B > Psychic/Confusion/a psychic move. Overall good ideas. :bigthumbu

Meh, a lot of the TMs Mewtwo can learn just don't fit him. Actually this is true with most any Pokémon. And Psychic is a much better Final Smash in my opinion.

Phazon_Dude

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I'm in the club Ridley!! A lot of the villains in Nintendo games are usually the coolest.... Not that I'm saying that Mewtwo is the "villain" in the pokemon series... But Melee sure made it look like that....

Oh and yes the Psychic idea was sort of a grab attack... I kind of got the idea from Mario's Flood as a pure knock back and..... I hate to say this but the anime, where the psychic attacks allows the user to control the opponent. I am pretty sure that Mewtwo's final smash will be a Psychic attack of some sort. Hopefully not a huge shadow ball..... I mean how does 2 shadow balls make someone into stone... Shadow ball wasn't even a real attack back when the movie came out (atleast not in America). Maybe Pokemon Gold/silver was going to introduce a Petrified status but never made it? But... probably not!!

Yes, elemental blast was just a crazy idea I wanted to mention... I guess it can be called Triattack but I'm not sure Mewtwo can learn that attack. I suppose that wouldn't stop Sakurai though!! :)

Mikel 2

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, today's update:
But, there are also some moves that continue charging even after you release the button... Huh???

DK’s Standard Special Move: Giant Punch

Samus’s Standard Special Move: Charge Shot

...among others.
Who could the OTHERS be?? :lick:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
How about a controlled float that he can move while performing?

Think similar to peach, cept nor maximum airtime, though I would suggest limiting the horizontal distance he can travel, oh, and being required to hit the ground to regain jumps.

Make him able to choose between ground and air moves as well while do this, just to make things interesting.

I do not envy the job required to balance such a character though.

Mikel 2

Smash Journeyman
How about a controlled float that he can move while performing?

Think similar to peach, cept nor maximum airtime, though I would suggest limiting the horizontal distance he can travel, oh, and being required to hit the ground to regain jumps.

Make him able to choose between ground and air moves as well while do this, just to make things interesting.

I do not envy the job required to balance such a character though.
How about him just being able to glide??

Mikel 2

Smash Journeyman
i don't see mewtwo being a glider. he should keep his floatyness
It could work, technically he can achieve flight.
Think about it, look at how he runs, just basically that in the air.
An yes, he should keep his floatyness..

Tingle_Stole_My_Pants

Smash Apprentice
I once made a 10 page post on this very subject. Fortunately for you all, I lost it. Improv time!

Mewtwo is the single most powerful pokemon in the anime series, but he's the very, very bottom of the tier list in Melee. What's up with that?

And yet for some reason, he didn't work out so well in SSBM. Wait... I take that back. Mewtwo was very powerful under certain conditions, but when tourney rules are applied, the majority of Mewtwo's advantages are stripped away. Mewtwo is one of the best at using, catching, and throwing items, including crates, barrels, and party balls. Believe it or not, that large frame makes it pretty easy to catch items and sets him at the perfect height to chuck a bomb right into somebody's face. Mewtwo's grabs/throws can hit several players at once, and his high recovery range and confounding evasive techniques help him to last a long time in a heated match. As you can probably imagine, all of that doesn't help when it's a one-on-one, no items, non-biased terrain match against somebody using characters who excel under tourney conditions (i.e. Fox, Falco... etc.). Heck, even Pichu one-ups him in those situations!

If I had the option of re-tooling Mewtwo for Brawl, I'd beef up his smash attack damage, change his standard attack into something less "oh look, I'm completely helpless", and of course fool around with his >B and VB (Not many people seem to like those moves...)

I personally have difficulty imagining Mewtwo without some godly psychokinesis. In the anime/movies, Mewtwo seemed to make a habit of flinging stuff around just by pointing at them. And yet Mewtwo doesn't even have a long-range grab. That's a bit depressing.

Mewtwo's shadowballs are great and difficult to predict. Am I the only person who chucks a fully charged shadow ball in the air just so I can slide off the stage? I just can't get enough of that. It's like an attack AND a super wave dash in one!

Mewtwo's down B is cool, But I swear, if I get KO'd one more time just because it didn't connect, I'm going to do backflips down the street! It's a tad unpredictable in midair, though. If you hit somebody's face with it, they'll immediately start spinning out, but if you hit any other part, they're sent flying. Why does a move called 'disable' send stuff flying? Now that I think about it, Mewtwo's VB looks more like Confusion than anything else.

I don't personally like Mewtwo's >B very much. Any reflect-style attack that goes that slow and doesn't hurt the opponent with the reflected item isn't a very good reflecter at all. And any attack that sets the target up in the perfect position to strike back isn't something I'd ever want to use on somebody. Fortunately, Confusion is great fun for yanking players off ledges and messing with people's DI. Believe me, once you figure out how to land that bugger, it is HARD to dodge O_o.

I think the only attack of Mewtwo's I really don't like is his standard A attack. I have never felt more defenseless using a single move than with that one. Even Link's ADA didn't leave me thinking "you know, I didn't HAVE to press it the second time." Of course, I wouldn't mind his smash attacks doing a bit more damage, and maybe a couple of solid KO moves would be nice... And as long as we're going there, it'd be wonderful if something could be done with all that lag on his smashes. You know, like that newfangled superarmor, or maybe shaving it down a tad...

I think the reason I like playing Mewtwo the most is for how fluid he feels. None of the other characters have that. His total awesomeness also helps.

Is it just me, or would it be completely cool and in-character if Mewtwo could fly? It's not like he really needs a longer recovery, but a flying Mewtwo just makes SENSE. Then again, they did beef up everyone else's recoveries. Even Yoshi got a tiny boost on his up-B. Maybe giving Mewtwo a levitating ability wouldn't be too far out of the question, especially since he had arguably the best recovery in Melee without being overpowered. Would it be too much to boost his recovery to fit the larger stages?

Well, there's my thoughts. It's not like I'm qualified for this kind of task, but it's fun to wonder what I would do if I could.

Mikel 2

Smash Journeyman
I once made a 10 page post on this very subject. Fortunately for you all, I lost it. Improv time!

Mewtwo is the single most powerful pokemon in the anime series, and he's tied for the strongest with rayquayza (stat-wise, at least) in the games. Though I should point out that Mewtwo could probably look rayquayza to death in the anime...

And yet for some reason, he didn't work out so well in SSBM. Wait... I take that back. Mewtwo was very powerful under certain conditions, but when tourney rules are applied, the majority of Mewtwo's advantages are stripped away. Mewtwo is one of the best at using, catching, and throwing items, including crates, barrels, and party balls. Believe it or not, that large frame makes it pretty easy to catch items and sets him at the perfect height to chuck a bomb right into somebody's face. Mewtwo's grabs/throws can hit several players at once, and his high recovery range and confounding evasive techniques help him to last a long time in a heated match. As you can probably imagine, all of that doesn't help when it's a one-on-one, no items, non-biased terrain match against somebody using characters who excel under tourney conditions (i.e. Fox, Falco... etc.). Heck, even Pichu one-ups him in those situations!

If I had the option of re-tooling Mewtwo for Brawl, I'd beef up his smash attack damage, change his standard attack into something less "oh look, I'm completely helpless", and of course fool around with his >B and VB (Not many people seem to like those moves...)

I personally have difficulty imagining Mewtwo without some godly psychokinesis. In the anime/movies, Mewtwo seemed to make a habit of flinging stuff around just by pointing at them. And yet Mewtwo doesn't even have a long-range grab. That's a bit depressing.

Mewtwo's shadowballs are great and difficult to predict. Am I the only person who chucks a fully charged shadow ball in the air just so I can slide off the stage? I just can't get enough of that. It's like an attack AND a super wave dash in one!

Mewtwo's down B is cool, But I swear, if I get KO'd one more time just because it didn't connect, I'm going to do backflips down the street! It's a tad unpredictable in midair, though. If you hit somebody's face with it, they'll immediately start spinning out, but if you hit any other part, they're sent flying. Why does a move called 'disable' send stuff flying? Now that I think about it, Mewtwo's VB looks more like Confusion than anything else.

I don't personally like Mewtwo's >B very much. Any reflect-style attack that goes that slow and doesn't hurt the opponent with the reflected item isn't a very good reflecter at all. And any attack that sets the target up in the perfect position to strike back isn't something I'd ever want to use on somebody. Fortunately, Confusion is great fun for yanking players off ledges and messing with people's DI. Believe me, once you figure out how to land that bugger, it is HARD to dodge O_o.

I think the only attack of Mewtwo's I really don't like is his standard A attack. I have never felt more defenseless using a single move than with that one. Even Link's ADA didn't leave me thinking "you know, I didn't HAVE to press it the second time." Of course, I wouldn't mind his smash attacks doing a bit more damage, and maybe a couple of solid KO moves would be nice... And as long as we're going there, it'd be wonderful if something could be done with all that lag on his smashes. You know, like that newfangled superarmor, or maybe shaving it down a tad...

I think the reason I like playing Mewtwo the most is for how fluid he feels. None of the other characters have that. His total awesomeness also helps.

Is it just me, or would it be completely cool and in-character if Mewtwo could fly? It's not like he really needs a longer recovery, but a flying Mewtwo just makes SENSE. Then again, they did beef up everyone else's recoveries. Even Yoshi got a tiny boost on his up-B. Maybe giving Mewtwo a levitating ability wouldn't be too far out of the question, especially since he had arguably the best recovery in Melee without being overpowered. Would it be too much to boost his recovery to fit the larger stages?

Well, there's my thoughts. It's not like I'm qualified for this kind of task, but it's fun to wonder what I would do if I could.
Hmm, based on those suggestions, here's how I'd envision his changes....

*Faster running speed, less lag when starting up if nothing else.

*Longer range on grabs, where does it say that mewtwo has to touch it to grab something?

*Gliding ability, see my post above this one i quoted.

*Stronger attacks, mewtwo is known for its TREMENDOUS attack.

*Faster attack speed, Mewtwo is also known for its blindingly fast speed.

*Improved or changed B>, B^ and BV, self explanatory:

My variations:
B> Tri-attack: Mewtwo crossses its arms, and shoots off a 3 colored beam, with the effect
of fire, electricity, or ice. Shorter range than Shadow ball, but much faster.
BV Barrier: Similar to Zelda's B, but repels players inside of its distance as well, with moderate damage. If players run into it, they will be knocked back with minor damage.
B^ Teleport: Same as previous one, but like Meta Knights Bv, attacks once it reappears. If it connects to something in the air, Mewtwo can perform it again.

*Larger size, Mewtwo is only like TWICE Pikachu's size in melee, WTF?? 6'7" vs 1'4"??

*More weight, 269lbs ain't that big, but certainly ain't small.

*More knockback in attacks, so he can send a Rhyhorn flying in the movie, but can't do it to Pichu and Jigglypuff in Melee?

*Different A,A,A attacks, were these ever useful in Melee??

*Keep everything else, floatyness was what made him KING of recovery.

Well, what do ya guys think? MEWTWO FOR BRAWL!! :chuckle:

Tingle_Stole_My_Pants

Smash Apprentice
^^^^^
I like how almost everyone agrees on what and how to fix with Mewtwo :chuckle:

Oy, I was thinking of something very similar to that psychic grab >B, but I was worried it would make him a little too strong. Now that I see it in someone else's words, it doesn't seem that overpowered.

In case you're wondering, the only differences between my idea and that one were: mine had those sparkle things instead of a blue glow (blue glow sounds cooler, IMO), and mine could be guided a little bit, similar to Zelda's >B in Melee.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
^^^^^
I like how almost everyone agrees on what and how to fix with Mewtwo :chuckle
That's because most of the things that are wrong with Mewtwo are obvious.

Mewtwo's a good height. He's just slightly shorter than Ganon, who's ~7ft or so.

I agree with all else, though.

Teleport should also have less lag when teleporting to the ground.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
And also: Size doesn't matter in smash. Look at Kirby, Pikachu and Bowser. Mewtwo's height is alright for me.

Phazon_Dude

Smash Apprentice
Yeah a lot of people say his height is alright but.... I personally think he looks small. Maybe I should look at him again, could I have made a mistake? Although I still think he would look more scary and powerful if he was more tall like he is suppose to be in pokemon games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom