• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mewtwo Q&A Thread (Check Here)

Spirst

I don't believe you can. Wanted to do jump>teleport ledge cancel>B reverse Disable but couldn't pull the last part off.

TheAxeWarrior

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheAxeWarrior
Good afternoon everyone! I've been training hard to main as Mewtwo and, call me dumb, but I'm having a tough time figuring out what his approach options are besides short-hopped Fairs and dash-grabbing after tossing an uncharged Shadow Ball.

Any advice is welcome, thanks!

iMoLaTe

Smash Cadet
Very casual player, new to mewtwo.. are there any moves that stand above the rest? and any that are just not worth using all together.. I'm really struggling with across + B and down + B.

Also, his extended A attack (sorry i don't know the terms) is it A + A + hold A? or just spam A? sometimes I can get it to keep going sometimes not

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Very casual player, new to mewtwo.. are there any moves that stand above the rest? and any that are just not worth using all together.. I'm really struggling with across + B and down + B.

Also, his extended A attack (sorry i don't know the terms) is it A + A + hold A? or just spam A? sometimes I can get it to keep going sometimes not
I hardly use his jab at all, so I haven't figured out if it's mash or hold, but...

His side special is slow as an attack, so be careful with it. You should basically just use it when you expect your opponent to shield but don't think your grab will hit. However, it's also a great projectile reflector and recovery move. If you use it in the air, you move a small distance and don't go into special fall. This alone makes them move great simply for re-positioning to avoid juggles and mix up your recovery.

Down B is mostly something you use at higher percents. The more damage your opponent takes, the longer the effect last. But it's range is so short, it's very difficult to land. It's something you'll throw out in occasion if you think it can hit(which you can then follow up by charging a Smash Attack), but you can live without it.

I'd say Mewtwo's best moves are Shadow Ball and Fair. Forward air is fast and powerful, at its short range is compromised by his great air speed. Shadow Ball is powerful and is vital to Mewtwo's play style. It gives you a powerful projectile to use to pressure from a distance. This is great because Mewtwo is a lightweight, and many of his attacks are exceptionally fast, so rushing into the fray can be pretty risky, regardless of if you're in a competitive 1vs1 or casual free-for-all.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I don't know if this is answered somewhere but I was just messing with customs and Mewtwo got a shiny aura for a bit. What's up?

Edit: I was just told it may have been from random equipment.

Last edited:

Spirst

Yep, had to have been equipment. Nothing else could possibly do that.
I hardly use his jab at all, so I haven't figured out if it's mash or hold, but...

His side special is slow as an attack, so be careful with it. You should basically just use it when you expect your opponent to shield but don't think your grab will hit. However, it's also a great projectile reflector and recovery move. If you use it in the air, you move a small distance and don't go into special fall. This alone makes them move great simply for re-positioning to avoid juggles and mix up your recovery.

Down B is mostly something you use at higher percents. The more damage your opponent takes, the longer the effect last. But it's range is so short, it's very difficult to land. It's something you'll throw out in occasion if you think it can hit(which you can then follow up by charging a Smash Attack), but you can live without it.
Confusion isn't that slow. Active on frame 12 which is faster than dsmash/fsmash/Disable/Bair and 2 frames slower than ftilt/dash attack. It's no dtilt but it's alright, I'd say. What really saves it is everything it sets up for. Stalling offstage, recovery option, potential KO setup, etc etc.

As for Disable, I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that it's range is so short from. Disable has the most range out of any of Mewtwo's attacks (aerials/smashes/tilts) other than Shadow Ball. It's a good move that we should learn to make the most use of as the ultimate punish. I think it'll be a valuable part of Mewtwo's game in the future when combined with options like retreating DJC.

Press A twice then hold it the third time and you'll activate the multijab.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Confusion isn't that slow. Active on frame 12 which is faster than dsmash/fsmash/Disable/Bair and 2 frames slower than ftilt/dash attack. It's no dtilt but it's alright, I'd say. What really saves it is everything it sets up for. Stalling offstage, recovery option, potential KO setup, etc etc.
Eh...still too slow to be entirely reliable offensively. Just an occasional thing.
But I still agree it's an awesome move for recovery and such.
As for Disable, I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that it's range is so short from. Disable has the most range out of any of Mewtwo's attacks (aerials/smashes/tilts) other than Shadow Ball. It's a good move that we should learn to make the most use of as the ultimate punish. I think it'll be a valuable part of Mewtwo's game in the future when combined with options like retreating DJC.
Must be in my head, then, because it's so hard to hit.
I guess the comination of it having little vertical ragne and not being able to hit opponents from behind just gave me the false impression of it being short ranged.

kbludoh

Smash Rookie
Hello people!

I'm relatively new to Smash, as I just got into the game with my 3DS, but I've been trying to improve a lot my gameplay to try to be as competitive as possible in the scene. I bought Mewtwo like 3 days ago and I've been trying to find as many videos to figure out strategies to improve my gameplay with him, but I do not seem to find many to have a good sample. All I could find was a few games played by Logic and Nature in the VGCBootcamp youtube channel, but that's it. If you guys could point out directions of other places to watch high level games with Mewtwo, I'd be very happy!

Also, I've been having trouble following up Confusion. People just mash jump or a getaway attack, being generally unable to follow up with anything. Idk if it's internet play or if people DI away then jump, but in the training everything seems to string correctly into a true combo (Fair, Ftilt and Jump Cancelled Up Smash all combos during training, but before I can react during matches, they already got away).

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
Hello people!

I'm relatively new to Smash, as I just got into the game with my 3DS, but I've been trying to improve a lot my gameplay to try to be as competitive as possible in the scene. I bought Mewtwo like 3 days ago and I've been trying to find as many videos to figure out strategies to improve my gameplay with him, but I do not seem to find many to have a good sample. All I could find was a few games played by Logic and Nature in the VGCBootcamp youtube channel, but that's it. If you guys could point out directions of other places to watch high level games with Mewtwo, I'd be very happy!

Also, I've been having trouble following up Confusion. People just mash jump or a getaway attack, being generally unable to follow up with anything. Idk if it's internet play or if people DI away then jump, but in the training everything seems to string correctly into a true combo (Fair, Ftilt and Jump Cancelled Up Smash all combos during training, but before I can react during matches, they already got away).
Training mode is just flat out wrong about Confusion. It never leads to a true combo follow-up. Ever.

There are no good high level Mewtwo players AFAIK. The best was Trela, but he only played Mewtwo to win a bet.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
So I'm facing an extremely tough Mewtwo named Cynos on For Glory. He knows all of Mewtwo's combos, his hitbox shifts and when to use him, and all of his auto-cancels. He even does jab into USmash for a kill combo.

Is there a list around of all his confirmed combos and how to DI his kill moves?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
So I'm facing an extremely tough Mewtwo named Cynos on For Glory. He knows all of Mewtwo's combos, his hitbox shifts and when to use him, and all of his auto-cancels. He even does jab into USmash for a kill combo.

Is there a list around of all his confirmed combos and how to DI his kill moves?
I am pretty sure Jab->U-Smash isn't a true combo on anyone though. Heavy/Fast Fallers can definitely DI downwards and shield it. I am assuming Light/Floaty Chars can aerial you out of it (and trade with the setup hit which is only 1% damage). I don't know if there is any char with an specific weight/fall speed combination and a lack of a quick aerial option that allows us to true combo into it.

Normally the real true combo is Jab->U-Tilt->U-Smash. This is due to the reason that U-Tilt comes out 3 frames earlier than U-Smash, does not require you to dash in (so you save 2-3 more frames on it). These 5-6 frames actually allows you to hit any char before he falls to the floor and before he can aerial, and it knocks the opponent perfectly into U-Smash range (plus the hitstun is enough to make it a true combo).

What combos specifically are you worried about? Mewtwo basically always uses Jab and D-Tilt to start all of his combos, so be wary about those 2 moves specifically. If you do not count Jab or D-Tilt (or both in combination, D-Tilt is a good follow up to Jab against Non-Fast Fallers), which both do mediocre damage (4%) then Mewtwo doesn't have any true combos that go beyond 3 hits to be honest and even those that are 3 hits are very weight/% specific.

Normally it's all about:

Jab->Grab/D-Tilt/U-Tilt
D-Tilt->Aerial/U-Tilt
U-Tilt->Aerial/Jab/U-Smash
DJ Aerial->Aerial

Those are our cookie cutter combos. Also D-Throw and Confusion never combo into anything but Mewtwo might do it a couple of times to check how you react to it and then he might read your reaction and punish you for it on future occasions.

I'd say if you're a Fast Faller or a Heavy Weight always DI downwards and away until you see the Mewtwo try and go for DJ aerials, then start DIng upwards. For Light/Floaty chars just always DI upwards and away, maybe mix it up when he goes for DJ aerials so you're not easily read.

None of our aerials combo into each other (unless they're DJ Aerials, then all of them combo) so if you see Mewtwo SH or Full Hop into an aerial then you KNOW you have frame advantage, if he follows your DI just mash your quickest aerials and you will punish him.

Kill moves, try not to get Grabbed or Jabbed (which leads into U-Tilt->U-Smash or a regular Grab) and be wary of falling into an U-Smash, that's about it.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I'm having trouble reading the knockback trajectory after confirming the final Nair hit in the air. Is there a rule of thumb of sorts to follow to know which direction to head to to keep the chase up after Nair?

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
I'm having trouble reading the knockback trajectory after confirming the final Nair hit in the air. Is there a rule of thumb of sorts to follow to know which direction to head to to keep the chase up after Nair?
They go in the direction they are relative to Mewtwo on the last hit. It is kind of random, but if you move in one direction, sometimes you can control it.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
They go in the direction they are relative to Mewtwo on the last hit. It is kind of random, but if you move in one direction, sometimes you can control it.
I've been practicing 2 days straight trying to control it and I still can't figure it out.

Sometimes it sends them forward, sometimes backwards, sometimes it sends them plumetting downwards, sometimes it just releases them. But the worse part is that sometimes it sends them farther in front and sometimes just a little bit in front to the point where if you aren't standing still the opponent will land behind you.

I can now consistently Fast Fall at the exact hit that I want (any of the 8 hits) just by listening to the sound of the move and it still seems random to me. Granted doing it in certain ways makes it more likely to get one behaviour but never "100% assured" which is what I am trying to get.

Last edited:

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
I've been practicing 2 days straight trying to control it and I still can't figure it out.

Sometimes it sends them forward, sometimes backwards, sometimes it sends them plumetting downwards, sometimes it just releases them. But the worse part is that sometimes it sends them farther in front and sometimes just a little bit in front to the point where if you aren't standing still the opponent will land behind you.

I can now consistently Fast Fall at the exact hit that I want (any of the 8 hits) just by listening to the sound of the move and it still seems random to me. Granted doing it in certain ways makes it more likely to get one behaviour but never "100% assured" which is what I am trying to get.
This is exactly my experience. Also, I think that if you full hop Nair and fast fall it perfectly, sometimes you can true combo at lower percents.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So I like using Mewtwo enough in this game to make him a secondary. I realize he's tough to use and he gets rocked by his weight + rage in this game...but anyways, I'm using him alongside Luigi. What matchups would he cover well that Luigi can't? Since Luigi is a slow, damage racking KO character and Mewtwo is a good poker and zoner with a reflector and fantastic recovery, I wanted to know what Matchups Mewtwo does well in. From my experience so far, I like him against Ryu quite a bit regarding better characters in the game, I'm not sure who else though. I'm thinking he could fare better against swords like Roy and Link than Luigi? I know Mewtwo has some close to unwinnable matchups against Fox so Luigi will cover that one. Also any tricks/general tips with Mewtwo? I feel like I should be using teleport more than just recovering. Thanks in advance!

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
Im curious on knowing the general opinion on how good is mewtwo in this current meta, is he viable? is he more than viable? where is his place in the tier list?
Bottom mid IMHO.

So I like using Mewtwo enough in this game to make him a secondary. I realize he's tough to use and he gets rocked by his weight + rage in this game...but anyways, I'm using him alongside Luigi. What matchups would he cover well that Luigi can't? Since Luigi is a slow, damage racking KO character and Mewtwo is a good poker and zoner with a reflector and fantastic recovery, I wanted to know what Matchups Mewtwo does well in. From my experience so far, I like him against Ryu quite a bit regarding better characters in the game, I'm not sure who else though. I'm thinking he could fare better against swords like Roy and Link than Luigi? I know Mewtwo has some close to unwinnable matchups against Fox so Luigi will cover that one. Also any tricks/general tips with Mewtwo? I feel like I should be using teleport more than just recovering. Thanks in advance!
I think Mewtwo has three good moves in the neutral:
Dtilt
Shadow Ball
Nair

He does best against characters that don't reflect/absorb projectiles, and that are tall enough for Nair to hit a lot against. Ryu is definitely a good matchup for him. IMO, he also does well against floaty aerial characters because his Bair has so much range.

He struggles against small characters, fast characters, and characters with sword normals. Sometimes the struggle is minimal; I think he just has a slight disadvantage against Shulk, for example.

Most Mewtwo mains agree that Sheik, Fox, Pikachu, and Sonic are awful matchups for him. I think Yoshi and Ness are also bad for him; Raykz thinks Captain Falcon and Mario are really bad for him.

Mewtwo does surprisingly well against Rosalina, especially without customs. He can punish almost everything she does with Nair, he KOs her extremely early, and she can't absorb Shadow Ball without getting punished.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
hypothetical: suppose :4mewtwo: was finished (hitboxes match animations, has standard invincible frames on evasive moves, teleport doesnt bounce off ledges, grab doesnt whiff vs short characters), and he got some qol changes(jab has 2-3 more frames of hitstun, nair comes out frame 4, teleport animation changed to match airdodge, better traction, and slightly less cooldown on dthrow). how much better is he?

Browny

Smash Hater
Im curious on knowing the general opinion on how good is mewtwo in this current meta, is he viable? is he more than viable? where is his place in the tier list?
I think he is better than
:4bowser::4dedede::4dk::4drmario::4falco::4ganondorf::4gaw::4jigglypuff::4lucina::4marth::4miigun::4miisword::4palutena::4robinm::4ryu::4samus::4wiifit::4zelda:

And on an equal tier with
:4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4greninja::4myfriends::4littlemac::4link::4megaman::4metaknight::4peach::4shulk::4charizard::4lucas:

Yes I said Ryu is low tier, get @ me

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
there's no really specific combos vs :4fox:. just dtilt->nair->fair at low-mid% and dtilt->fair a little bit higher. jab->grab at kill %. dont expect to get him to kill %, though. you'll be gone way before then since he bodies :4mewtwo:.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
So I've been using Mewtwo since his release and I've tried to incorporate every move he has into my game plan. I've been doing pretty well with him, but there are a few moves I'd like to learn more about and incorporate more into my game.

Down Throw: How should I use this? I know it doesn't combo into anything and it usually puts the opponent in a bad position, but usually I find it more beneficial to just go for the safer and more damaging forward throw. Are there any applications for this throw that I should know about? Are there ever advantages to using this over another throw?

Confusion: This is similar to down throw to me where you can put your opponent in a bad position. However, I'm struggling to find reasons to use it offensively since it doesn't come out too quickly and the reward isn't great/not always there. Aside from using this move as a reflector or a recovery tool which I always do, are there any offensive applications of the move I should know about? Or should I not bother with it?

Back Aerial: I know this aerial is pretty powerful offstage, but are there other applications for it? The hitboxes are wonky as hell (like most of his tail attacks), and I have trouble aiming this move due to the misleading hitbox trails and the slow startup. Is it worth using on stage ever, or is it just meant for edgeguarding/high aerial assault?

Disable: I know how awesome it can be to land a disable and then let off a fully charged smash attack. The problem for me, however, is that I can't usually land one since it's tough to aim and everyone's always running and jumping around so it's tough to get this when I want to. Are there any good setups into disable? Is jab 1 or fast fall n-air to disable a good option? How can I incorporate it more into my game as a KO setup or possible combo?

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
So I've been using Mewtwo since his release and I've tried to incorporate every move he has into my game plan. I've been doing pretty well with him, but there are a few moves I'd like to learn more about and incorporate more into my game.

Down Throw: How should I use this? I know it doesn't combo into anything and it usually puts the opponent in a bad position, but usually I find it more beneficial to just go for the safer and more damaging forward throw. Are there any applications for this throw that I should know about? Are there ever advantages to using this over another throw?

Confusion: This is similar to down throw to me where you can put your opponent in a bad position. However, I'm struggling to find reasons to use it offensively since it doesn't come out too quickly and the reward isn't great/not always there. Aside from using this move as a reflector or a recovery tool which I always do, are there any offensive applications of the move I should know about? Or should I not bother with it?

Back Aerial: I know this aerial is pretty powerful offstage, but are there other applications for it? The hitboxes are wonky as hell (like most of his tail attacks), and I have trouble aiming this move due to the misleading hitbox trails and the slow startup. Is it worth using on stage ever, or is it just meant for edgeguarding/high aerial assault?

Disable: I know how awesome it can be to land a disable and then let off a fully charged smash attack. The problem for me, however, is that I can't usually land one since it's tough to aim and everyone's always running and jumping around so it's tough to get this when I want to. Are there any good setups into disable? Is jab 1 or fast fall n-air to disable a good option? How can I incorporate it more into my game as a KO setup or possible combo?

So I'll start with the easiest one I think:

Disable - Disable should be viewed as your fastest kill option (unless the opponent is inside you at 100%+ which point just grab or U-Smash). It's faster than F-Smash or D-Smash and it has more range than either of them. It's also safer than both if spaced correctly.

Basically, try to get a feel for your opponent. How he likes to land, how he likes to approach, how he likes to avoid setups, how he likes to do ledge getups or what direction he likes to tech. If you find some really, really predictable habit your opponent has that can lead into a Disable just don't punish it, let him get away with it, in fact let him punish you with it and act like you don't learn from being punished.

Once your opponent is at 80%+ then use that knowledge you've been gathering that whole stock. Any bad habit he had try to force it. Try to read his techs or getups or just try to bait him into landing in a certain way and then just Disable. If your opponent goes for a Dash Attack or misses a grab then Disable OoS. If your opponent misses a smash, Disable him. Try to bait your opponent into shield grabbing and Disable his ass by dashing at him full speed and then jumping just outside his grab range then DJC Disabling him in the face if he drops shield (if he doesn't then just back off or land into a grab).

You don't always land Disable in a set, normally the ratio at which I land Disable depends on how different my skill level is compared to my opponents (but not how good they are). As in, before I did my EVO training I could land Disable consistently on FG players and the randoms at my 2 weekly tourneys. After my 3 week training for EVO, when I came back to my weekly tourneys I was landing Disable on a lot, I MEAN A LOT of players I was never able to land it before. I believe that when you get more skilled you start to understand more the fundamentals of the games and you can spot mistakes you would not notice otherwise and thus punish those mistakes.

Back-Aerial has a TON of range. That's it's #1 attribute. It's also disjointed (meaning they can't hit you back). It's slow and has wonky hitboxes so it isn't a move you want to be using 100% of the time. Regularly on stage my use for it is to deal with opponents who *think* they can outrange Mewtwo. Marth's/Yoshi's that are F-Airing/N-Airing in place without approaching. Dedede's who just jump infinitely and don't want to approach. Those pesky chars who are quick enough to just throw out a lot of hitboxes and not even care like Mario throwing out B-Airs or Luigi throwing out F-Airs, just RAR B-Air them in the face. It's all about the range and the disjoint.

Confusion: Again, it's all about the range. When you are dashing, which moves can you use? Dash Attack, Grab, Shadow Ball, Disable, Teleport and Jumping.... oh and Confusion. What if your opponent shields, what do you have? Grab and Confusion. Mewtwo's grab range is ass, so if the opponent spot dodges you're left in a really, really bad spot (where he can punish you with a lot of stuff). What if your opponent sees you approaching and just drops shield and goes for a jab, it will beat your grab. Same with Dash Attack.

But if you space Confusion just right you can beat out Shield, Jab and Dash Attack and, while you will probably still get punished if your opponent spot dodges, it's still much harder for him to punish you and also he has much less options to punish you with (not all characters have an attack fast enough that reaches that far that's not a dash attack or dash grab).

If you use Confusion once in the air it won't jump a second time so you can land with Confusion and beat your opponent's shield, basically creating a safe landing for yourself.

D-Throw: This is the most complicated to explain. I think it's rather a matter of preference. D-Throw does not true combo. It also does not "set up" either. All it does is put the opponent in an uncomfortable position. Here's the thing. There's a set limited amount of options your opponent has after being D-Throwed.

1-) He can air dodge, which will make him land on the ground with lag from the air dodge.

2-) He can do nothing and try and tech the landing

3-) He can DI away and do an aerial before landing just to land "safely"

4-) He can DI towards you and try to hit you with an aerial

5-) He can Double jump

Your opponent only has these 5 options.

Option number 1 means your opponent will land in air dodge lag and you will have PLENTY of time to punish, so don't worry about this option. If you see him do it then punish him! You can even get a Disable out of this.

So you only have to worry about 4 options now.

Option number 2 is 100% beaten by Dash Attack. No matter how your opponent is thinking of teching, your Dash Attack will hit him right as he hits the ground. This is punisheable on reaction when you see your opponent go low enough in tumble where he cannot finish an attack just Dash + A forward. At higher %s you can even get an U-Smash out of this! Since this is punisheable on reaction there's 0 need to worry about it.

So now you only have 3 options to "worry" about

Option 3 and 4 are both DI dependent so he can't go for both, he can only go for one depending on how he DIed. D-Throw has huge amounts of hitstun (and end lag) so you will have A LOT of time to see how he DIs. If you see him DIng away from him then you can most likely chase him, bait his aerial and then Disable him as he lands in lag from the aerial. If he DIs torwards you then shield into Disable.

Obviously this is very character dependent as chars like Marth can still hit you if you chase them when they DI away and chars like Mario will probably not be able to hit you at all even if they DI towards you.

Either way you shouldn't be worried about both of these options at the same time, it's always either 1 option or none (depending on your opponents char). In fact some chars don't have aerials with low landing lag or auto cancel windows (like Mewtwo) which means that they can't even opt for option 3 even if they wanted to.

Option 5 is an 100% safe option for most chars (about half the cast). There are certain chars (like Luigi) who you can chase with a Double Jump and punish for jumping, but you have to read their double jump and react before they even input it. The thing about option 5 is that it's 100% safe for Mewtwo. No matter what you do (except for like U-Smash) they won't be able to punish you, so you should never be worried about this option.

Basically Mewtwo only has to worry about ONE of his opponents options (depending on how he DIs) when D-Throwing, his opponent is completely unable to do the other option (between 3 and 4) and Mewtwo can REACT to the 2 of the remaining 3. So normally on my first throw I just wait and see if I can get one of the 2 reaction punishes (while keeping an eye for the only option I have to worry about). This means that I am ready to punish 2 out of the 4 options my opponent has (half of them). And that I am ready to not get punished myself.

Any punish (even just jab) will result in at least 4% which means it did more damage than F-Throw would have done.

If my opponent takes one of the 2 options I can't punish on my first try then on my second try I try to cover the other option (the one he didn't take) while also waiting to punish the 2 reaction ones. Basically this allows me to cover 3 of my opponents options while also "conditioning" him to believe that the first option is safe.

Once he's comfortable using that last option then I wait for the right % to do another D-Throw and follow with a deadly punish to that one option he will choose.

If my opponent is one of those 20-30 chars that can 100% safely double jump away or he's just good at mixing up the 3 options that are "safe". Then I will just F-Throw for the damage instead of trying to go for Shenanigans that will never work.

However I always test the waters with D-Throw first because even if I know my opponent is playing a char that can Double Jump 100% safe all of the time it doesn't mean he knows that. He might opt for an aerial, or even worse he might spot dodge because he believes we can combo out of D-Throw.

Note: I also like to empty hop after D-Throw to make my opponent believe I can get a follow up from it.

Last edited:

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Thanks a ton for your advice, there's a lot of good stuff here and this post made me see a lot of new applications for these moves. Much appreciated. Mewtwo's such an interesting character with a lot of mind games.

Last edited:

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
Back-Aerial has a TON of range. That's it's #1 attribute. It's also disjointed (meaning they can't hit you back). It's slow and has wonky hitboxes so it isn't a move you want to be using 100% of the time. Regularly on stage my use for it is to deal with opponents who *think* they can outrange Mewtwo. Marth's/Yoshi's that are F-Airing/N-Airing in place without approaching. Dedede's who just jump infinitely and don't want to approach. Those pesky chars who are quick enough to just throw out a lot of hitboxes and not even care like Mario throwing out B-Airs or Luigi throwing out F-Airs, just RAR B-Air them in the face. It's all about the range and the disjoint.
I feel this move is not disjointed at all, when i use it my opponent seems to be able to hit the tail, its almost like the tail is part of his hurtbox, it does have a really nice range to it, but little priority and not disjointed for what i have experienced. It really sucks for mewtwo, he dosent seem to have any priority in his aerials.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I feel this move is not disjointed at all, when i use it my opponent seems to be able to hit the tail, its almost like the tail is part of his hurtbox, it does have a really nice range to it, but little priority and not disjointed for what i have experienced. It really sucks for mewtwo, he dosent seem to have any priority in his aerials.
Mewtwo's disjoint is only the tip of his tail. You can sort of tell what the disjoint is just by looking at his tail.

Browny

Smash Hater
http://i.imgur.com/JMdumps.png

Roughly 40-45% of the tail is disjointed, this is consistent with his dtilt. It's extremely difficult to time and space perfectly an attack to just nick the start of mewtwos tail hurtbox with bair, thats the best I could do and I'm confident that is accurate within 2 pixels.

testing uair would be a damn nightmare so I'm just going to assume the disjoint is the same there as it is on dtilt and bair.

Last edited:

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
http://i.imgur.com/JMdumps.png

Roughly 40-45% of the tail is disjointed, this is consistent with his dtilt. It's extremely difficult to time and space perfectly an attack to just nick the start of mewtwos tail hurtbox with bair, thats the best I could do and I'm confident that is accurate within 2 pixels.

testing uair would be a damn nightmare so I'm just going to assume the disjoint is the same there as it is on dtilt and bair.
dam, kinda sucks that it has to be so difficult to space it correctly, he already has a lot of stuff you need to work around to actually play good with him : /

Browny

Smash Hater
dam, kinda sucks that it has to be so difficult to space it correctly, he already has a lot of stuff you need to work around to actually play good with him : /
My wording may not have been clear, what I described it actually a good thing.

I was describing the scenario from the point of view of the opponent in that attempting to hit Mewtwos hurtbox during his bair is very difficult if Mewtwo spaces it right. Only a handful of moves in the entire game can do it like marth and ikes forward-facing attacks. Thats honestly pretty much it.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
So what's the most effective method to land with Mewtwo, especially against faster ground characters such as Fox and Sonic? I tend to usually maneuver to the ledge or try to land with fast fall n-air (which sometimes works but not usually on good players).

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
So what's the most effective method to land with Mewtwo, especially against faster ground characters such as Fox and Sonic? I tend to usually maneuver to the ledge or try to land with fast fall n-air (which sometimes works but not usually on good players).
When i have a hard time landing on stage i usually go for up b down to the stage, mewtwo dosent have to many good landing options besides nair, and that's easily interrupted by other aerials.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
This is the bane of Mewtwo. It's the very question every Mewtwo asks: "How are we supposed to land?"

Unfortunately, the best answer I can give you is: trick your opponent. Which is very dependent on how good your opponent is. Basically try to fast fall at random times (with N-Air to make it "safer", but it's still not safe at all). Use wavebounced Confusions to throw off your opponent. Use MC/FC SBs to make Mewtwo too fast to be caught (against combo/juggle-heavy chars, otherwise I would say save the SB).

The best technique I can give you is that as soon as you see your opponent start a dash or a jump (and I mean like the very frame you notice them do it) then Teleport downwards and towards his back. If your opponent is smart and only walks (follows you while walking) then you're going to have a really bad time.

Try not to overdo any of these techniques though. The biggest thing is to always keep in mind to not be predictable. You need to trick your opponent.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
What AT's are their with mewtwo? I know about Ledge cancelling the up b and even was able to replicate the monkey flip to b reverse popgun stuff ZeRo was doing at EVO GF, except with Mewtwo, but are their any others?
(I used fully charged shadow ball to get the momentum and then b-reversed with another shadow ball, thus changing my momentum, mix-up, and half charging another shadow ball.)
Also, should we set up an organized combo thread? I've notice a couple of people asking about Mewtwos combos and thought it would be a good idea to keep it all in one place.

Last edited:

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
What AT's are their with mewtwo? I know about Ledge cancelling the up b and even was able to replicate the monkey flip to b reverse popgun stuff ZeRo was doing at EVO GF, except with Mewtwo, but are their any others?
(I used fully charged shadow ball to get the momentum and then b-reversed with another shadow ball, thus changing my momentum, mix-up, and half charging another shadow ball.)
Also, should we set up an organized combo thread? I've notice a couple of people asking about Mewtwos combos and thought it would be a good idea to keep it all in one place.
I don't know how advanced we're talking here, but DJC Disable, SHAD Fair/Uair, and ledge trump WJ Fair come to mind as the most useful.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Has someone made a competitive/metagame discussion thread yet? and if not do we need one?

Top Bottom