• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metal Gear

thekhan7

Smash Rookie
Yep. Discuss one of the greatest games ever with some of the coolest characters ever. Talk about everything from Outer Heaven to Guns of the Patriots!

*Guard sees thekhan7 typing*

!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
My favorite MGS game would have to be MGS 3. It was slow in the Virtuous Mission, but everything beyond that was awesome (except for the part where Eva's wounded).

I'm wondering if and when they'll announce a Director's Cut version of MGS 4. They could just announce extras as DLC.

marthmaster59

Smash Journeyman
I never played it, but i heard of an NES game called "Snake's revenge". What is Snake Avenging? Who does he need revenge on? Does he have some sort of a criminal record (other than PWNING THEM)?

I was just wondering if anybody knew

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Never played a Metal Gear game before- I actually thought it was about real snakes when I was younger :laugh:.

If there's one game from the series I'd like to play it would be MGS 3.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I never played it, but i heard of an NES game called "Snake's revenge". What is Snake Avenging? Who does he need revenge on? Does he have some sort of a criminal record (other than PWNING THEM)?

I was just wondering if anybody knew
It doesn't matter too much since Snake's Revenge is not canon. Kojima didn't make it.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
The voice for Liquid gotta be one of the best voice's I've ever heard on a video game. It just fits SO well.
Yup, I have to agree. ^_^

As for my favorite MG title, it definetly has to be the Original Metal Gear Solid,and no, I'm not talking about MGS: Twin Snakes, don't get me wrong it was good and all, but I'm talking about the PSX version of it, some of you must think this is weird, but in reality, I like it due to the music shown in this version, I found it much more appealing than Twin Snakes.

Sons of Liberty was also a good good, especailly Snake's battle against Olga which was one of the best of all time.
Though one game i've always wanted to play is MGS Portable Ops for PSP, though I don't have a PSP so..

Minato

穏やかじゃない

As for my favorite MG title, it definetly has to be the Original Metal Gear Solid,and no, I'm not talking about MGS: Twin Snakes, don't get me wrong it was good and all, but I'm talking about the PSX version of it, some of you must think this is weird, but in reality, I like it due to the music shown in this version, I found it much more appealing than Twin Snakes.
Totally agree. The PSX version of MGS is much better than The Twin Snakes.

I find it hard rating the MGS games. Each game was good in their own way.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Used to be a big fan of the series, but the older I got the more the poor controls and unecesarily long dialogue (complete with heavy handed philisophical talk) bothered me. I still enjoy MGS for the PSX and Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2 for the PSP, but it doesn't rank in my top games any more.

Blackadder

Smash Master
I LIKE MGS2's ending and I also like pre-cyborg-Raiden as a character.

There, I said it.

Blackadder

Smash Master
It's sad that the second I read that I heard Mark Hamil screaming at the top of his lungs.
I am a lost cause.

Also, MGS3 was the most fun for me. I didn't actually dig MGS4's gameplay much. I liked the cutscenes, but the gameplay was too action-y.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I've never played them, but I've seen MGS 2, 3, and the beginning of 1 played. While they're not my type of game, they are fun to watch. They're like movies, though filling a game with hours of cut-scenes to the extent that I've heard are in MGS 4 seems a bit excessive. That's just me, though.

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
I'm playing through them right now. I've beaten MGS 1 and 2 and they were AWESOME. I just started MGS3 and I'm not liking it much so far. I'm thinking of going to MGS4 then coming back to 3. I don't know though.

Blackadder

Smash Master
I'm playing through them right now. I've beaten MGS 1 and 2 and they were AWESOME. I just started MGS3 and I'm not liking it much so far. I'm thinking of going to MGS4 then coming back to 3. I don't know though.
MGS3 is easily the best in the series. The mechanics work on a whole different level though, and hiding becomes much, much harder. ... Until you get the hang of it.

Going to 4 then to 3 will only leave you confused. You must've noticed by now that the series is heavily story based, yeah?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
MGS3 is a prequel, while 4 is a sequel to 2, so it's actually not THAT big of a deal.

Blackadder

Smash Master
It DOES spoil a lot of plot points from 3 though, as well as making a billion nudges to it. Plus the revelation of who
the Patriots
are being tied directly to 3.

I just think you'd get a lot more from 4 if you've played... well, all the other games.

OmegaXXII

I just think you'd get a lot more from 4 if you've played... well, all the other games.

Exactly, I've always liked to play all my games in order and MGS is no exception, though I would like to play and own MGS4 sometime soon I first have to finish the 3rd one.
(yes, I've haven't beaten it yet) :ohwell:

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'm just tired of getting caught too many times. I'll continue on. Shouldn't be THAT hard right? Are the early MSX games any good? I'll probably try those eventually.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Don't skip 3. You'll appreciate 3 once you get further. MGS 3 isn't too difficult once you get the hang of how it should be played.

Plus, 3 won't seem as interesting if you play 4 first.

randomselect

Smash Cadet
Like these people said, if you skip 3 you'll get confused. Some people get confused from a lone games story in this series but it's not hard to understand.

NEVER SKIP A CODEC CONVO OR CUTSCENE unless you saw it already.

Who here has played the original MSX versions? Y'know Metal Gear 1 and 2. I have.

My favorite is MGS3 also. I played the Subsistence online which was great.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
MGS3 had more sneaking around, but MGS4 is more action-y, so i'm going to have to say MGS4 is my fav.

Is Twin Snakes worth playing? Because I heard from Gamecube owning friends loved it, but now seeing the fans here hate it, I'm wondering if they liked it just cuz it was on the cube.

DNFanatic

Smash Cadet
I like Metal Gear but I'm not a fanatic about it. I played through MGS on the PS1 in 10:07. Yes I still remember. From I think 2 or 3 years ago. Psycho Mantis scared me. :(

Blackadder

Smash Master
MGS3 had more sneaking around, but MGS4 is more action-y, so i'm going to have to say MGS4 is my fav.

Is Twin Snakes worth playing? Because I heard from Gamecube owning friends loved it, but now seeing the fans here hate it, I'm wondering if they liked it just cuz it was on the cube.
It's playable.

Cube fans love it because it IS a good game. Gamep-lay on par with the original, though slighty easier.

Your average fan hates it because it butchered the original characters and acting and presentation somewhat. Snake has some random bouts of serious anger for some reason, has developed a taste for SUPE CRAZY AWEZUM M@TRIX ****TT!!, and the voice acting is oddly slower and feels less... moving.

But I enjoy it. I get a laugh from the Matrix crap, and the acting is still solid (GEDDIT) and the gameplay is fine.

Buy it or play it. You get the gist of the original story if you just mind-erase the Hollywood bits.

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing MGS3 and I think I'm about half done but idk. I'm at The End...

I like it but I like the first 2 more but, things can change.

Blackadder

Smash Master
If The End battle doesn't cement the game as epic and all powerful in your eyes, then nothing will.

Save Naked Snake. The things I'd do to him...

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
Screw The End. Sniper battles were never really my thing.
Versus Liquid/Liquid Ocelot/Ocelot on top of Outer Haven is where it's at...8D

MGS4 was the best for me since I managed to play the first three and complete them before it, so the nostalgia moments really hit home. Nothing quite like Act 4 to bring the childhood memories flooding back.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Alright started Metal Gear one so far I have just passed the Baker incident.

I am a idiot I keep falling into traps, how do I avoid those lazes that detect me?

finalark

SNORLAX
I am a idiot I keep falling into traps, how do I avoid those lazes that detect me?
Are you in the part where you have to get through a small room with invisible lasers? If you fail the room shuts and you're gassed?

Cigs, light one up and blow the smoke to see where the lasers are.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Damn this thread is old, but whatever, MGS is awesome.

So MGS3 is probably my favorite. I guess I just like exotic environments more in games than the usual drab grey military bases. The level design of MGS1 and 2 was good, but sneaking through air ducts and stuff didn't strike me as being as much fun as sneaking around in the jungle. Once I got to the secret base, I kinda started to lose interest in the game. It's that way for me with a lot of games - I put off beating RE4 for the longest time because when I got to the island it was just the same caves I saw throughout most of chapter 3 and 4 and the same military base over and over again. But I digress, MGS3 is amazing. It starts out kinda slow, but the story is great and everything builds beautifully to an amazing ending. There is very little about MGS3 that I don't like. The 45 minute boss fight with The End, the dubious effectiveness of CQC, changing camo every time your camo index goes down - all of these are things that I should hate, but I just enjoy the game as a whole so much and I think all these add to it.

I love MGS3 so much that I've been known to sing "Snake Eater" while drunk.

I also like MGS4 but I think it had a lot of wasted potential. When I helped out the militia in chapter 1, I enjoyed getting familiar with the soldiers and seeing them give me gifts as I helped defend them and stuff. This was probably my favorite aspect of the whole game, even more so than the automatic camo, but it's never used again after chapter 2. Why? This seems like such a cool feature and I'd love to see it implemented in other games. I also don't like how the last 2 chapters are basically cutscenes leading to boss fights, but it's MGS so what do you expect? MGS4 is still a great game, and I guess my only other gripe with it is that the controls take some getting used to since they're so different from the previous two games.

Actually that's not true, I do have one more complaint against it - it's really sad.
The last half of the game is basically just Snake slowly dying. You see him as an old man, trying as hard as he can to fight off the last of the Patriots while struggling desperately to stay alive. The microwave hallway scene was incredibly sad, and when his suit is getting frayed and torn, you really start to see its effect on him. To a lot of people this was an manly sacrifice, a final farewell to a true hero, and other such things like that. But to me, it was just really depressing. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it and I'm not naive enough to expect every story to have a happy ending, but idk something really made me feel badly about the ending to MGS4. Maybe I was sad that I wouldn't see him again, maybe Snake reminded me of my own grandparents (which wouldn't make sense because they look nothing alike), maybe I just expected him not to die.
Regardless though, it's sad as hell. I still liked it though.

I like MGS2 and MGS2 a lot too. I can't say which one I really like more though. The plot of both of them is basically the same
(explained in the story as being a way to see if Raiden could become the next Solid Snake or whatever idk these games are weird)
but they're both extremely good games in their own right. I honestly don't think Raiden is as much of a ***** as everyone says, and sometimes he brings up legitimate points (Why DIDN'T he go in with the Navy Seals? Why DOES he have to fight a damn vampire? Is his girlfriend and possible baby mama really a figment of his imagination or did Kojima not like Blade Runner enough to rip it off?). He was definitely a lot whinier and less enjoyable to play as than Snake though. And he's a eunuch. MGS4 completely redeemed Raiden though. It kind of redeemed everyone, but Raiden especially.
Almost nobody can watch his death scene and not feel sad.

I haven't played any of the portable games (PSP or GBC), but I'm not eager to. I AM eager to play MGS: Rising though It seems like so long since I last heard news about it, I almost forgot it was being made.

Alright started Metal Gear one so far I have just passed the Baker incident.

You need to use your CIGARETTES that you hid in your STOMACH!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwrPuCnNbv8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXX5drqRD9s
AWESOME!

You can basically use Metal Gear Awesome as a substitute for GameFAQs for the first disc of MGS1. Same thing with Hiimdaisy's MGS comics.
http://hiimdaisy.livejournal.com/tag/metal gear

Interestingly enough, I'm replaying MGS1 on my PS3 and haven't gotten to the Psycho Mantis fight. I have data for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on my internal virtual PS1 memory card thing, but it's not quite the same as having a real memory card. I wonder what will happen...

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Thanks for the help, just Defeated Grey Fox, I feel kind of sorry for him, I have troubles imaging myself as him going though that.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I LIKE MGS2's ending and I also like pre-cyborg-Raiden as a character.

There, I said it.
That's not true! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!
It's sad that the second I read that I heard Mark Hamil screaming at the top of his lungs.
I am a lost cause.
Heh, that was the idea.
That's how I read it, and you have won my internet heart.

With that, my favorite MGS is MGS(either version) and MGS3. Big Boss is my favorite character.

I am now prepared for discussion and debate.

:grabs chair and cigar:

Please, proceed.

EDIT:
I love MGS3 so much that I've been known to sing "Snake Eater" while drunk.
I frakkin' love you. Also, if no one has seen these;

http://www.youtube.com/user/BroadSpectrumStudios#p/c/DA117AAE69F96EFB/0/stis8mv67eA

Minato

穏やかじゃない
With that, my favorite MGS is MGS(either version) and MGS3. Big Boss is my favorite character.
1 and 3 are my favorite as well. That's probably what the majority feel too.
2 and 4 were great, but they had a lot of faults.

OmegaXXII

Man now that Konami will rerelease the Metal Gear Solid franchise in HD, it mindblowing! I am definetly looking forward to acquiring all it's trophies, even so play Peace Walker which I owned in for PSP

For those of you that don't know it will come out and it expected to be due in November of this year during the holiday season which IMO will add alot of hype to this remarkable series.

:phone:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm looking forward on seeing if MGS2 and 3 will be getting new/modern control schemes.
I'm guessing they should since the 360 doesn't have pressure sensitive face buttons.

OmegaXXII

I'm guessing that each version of the game will have it's set of implemented controls, nonetheless I think they'll be just fine.

Konami should have included MGS 1 instead of Peace Walker, but then again I can't complain since Peace Walker is also a great title, well just have to see how the controls will handle for the console versions.

:phone:

Top Bottom