• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight- *The Official Thread*

T-major

Smash Champion
I am too. I want to see what it is so badly.
me too. I've read two different articles, and both gave different Final smashes for Meta Knight; one was making the screen go black then slashing wildly, attack people near by. another was him grabbing someone, then slashing them, resulting in an instant kill (most of the time anyways). I'd like to see what it is first hand.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
Meta knight rocks by far... Also I think there were four knights, Trident ect... Anyways calls them up and they take everyone on in unison, although his FS may just be calling the halburd to blast everyone to two smithereens

smashbot226

Smash Master
That costume is similar to an alternate costume color in the Brawl demo. Except he has red eyes.

Well, I guess I need to make an assessment on this fellow.

He seems fast, combo friendly, and with the ability to glide, impossibly good recovery. However, he seems light, making it easy to toss him around like a basketball. You never know, tho. His armor may make him heavier. My main problem with him is his apparent lack of a projectile move, which everyone, save Ike, who has an update with a moveset, has. This could make Meta Knight a Marth, or to a lesser extent, Roy. However, Marth WAS top tier. IT still doesn't help MK.

B Move: Depending on whether or no it is movable and how fast it can move, if it has a fixed duration or a pliable one, and if it lifts off, this could be an extremely potent move. May be an uber edgeguard.

BV Move: A good old reflection move, which Fox has, and now that there is an item for it, not to mention an abundance of projectile B moves, this helps MK tremendously with his apparent lack of a sold projectile defense.

B> Move: This attack gives me many questions. Will it be fast? Is there ALWAYS three spins, or is it cancelable in bewteen? Can it be a substitute for his B^, as was Luigi's? This is only a few questions that could make or breal the usage of this move.

B^: This, his multijumps, and gliding make this move an unfair addition in recovery compartments. Luckily, it looks like it has little height coverage and makes more of a launcher.

Overall: 7/10

Lack of projectiles hurt him, but more than make up for his recovery and special moves.

ProNoob

Smash Cadet
Metaknight seems top tier, just from that video. Kirby jumps of puff, with 3 Nair attacks in one jump? and if he gets that deflecting cape he used against Pit, that can only add to his brokenness. Unless the game that comes out isnt exactly like the trailer, which it very well may not be.
I was reading this on the first page, and it seems that Meta Knight is god tier just by looking at the trailer. Do you think he'll be broken, or should is this just a trailer and he'll be a lot more balanced?:confused:

PS: PM if you think this should be a new thread!!!

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
If Sakurai Liked it, then you have to accept it.

besides, MK is supposed to be an older (adult) Kirby. His voice FIT him perfectly.

oh and MK first appeard in Kirby's Adventure (NES) in 1993.
Does that meen we can expect Kirby to have a badass Darh Vadar - Iron Lung voice when he grows up?

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I was reading this on the first page, and it seems that Meta Knight is god tier just by looking at the trailer. Do you think he'll be broken, or should is this just a trailer and he'll be a lot more balanced?:confused:

PS: PM if you think this should be a new thread!!!
I really don't see anything broken about Metaknight to be perfectly honest. I mean you can barely analyze him with a few minutes of gameplay he has; let alone the majority of players at that confrence were newbs at the game.

The only thing I can gather from the trailer is that Metaknight is very easy to pick up.

-Knight

T-major

Smash Champion
I want it to have to do with Sword Knight and Blade Knight, all 3 in unison.
Meta knight rocks by far... Also I think there were four knights, Trident ect... Anyways calls them up and they take everyone on in unison, although his FS may just be calling the halburd to blast everyone to two smithereens
guy's, his Final smash has already been revealed to involve his sword, we just don't know the exact details. neither of these are his Final Smash...

also, Calling the Halberd to attack wouldn't work, because Halberd is a stage; which would be redundant if you used Meta Knights Final smash on the Halberd stage.

T-major

Smash Champion

Shark X

Smash Lord
Btw, Is Meta-Knight's voice actor the guy that voices him in the Anime?
So, we won't have a Spanish Zorro wanna be Meta Knight? Thank god. Now the question is, what DOES he sound like? Is he Japanese? English? Does he have a good voice? All the video's I've seen, I can't hear him saying anything. Any youtube videos where you can clearly hear his voice?

Shark X

Smash Lord
I'm like all for em havin a Japanese voice over person. Man, that'd put the final icing on the cake for good ol Meta Nite.
Not me. I'd prefer to be able to understand what the hell the character is saying. To this day, I still can't understand Roy, Marth, and either Fox or Falco (forgot which it was, or both).

A Japanese voice option would be great, but I would still like to see English voices too. We were screwed in Melee (though the voices they used for Adventure modes Fox characters made me a little happy we got screwed), and we have David Hayter and Jason/Ryan doing Sonic in the US version of the game, we just need an English Marth, Mewtwo (if he has speaking lines this time around), Fox, possibly Falco, and Brawl characters.

Thank god the US anime's voice actor isn't foing him, but all I'm asking is, what does he sound like?

0rion

Smash Journeyman
Not me. I'd prefer to be able to understand what the hell the character is saying. To this day, I still can't understand Roy, Marth, and either Fox or Falco (forgot which it was, or both).

A Japanese voice option would be great, but I would still like to see English voices too. We were screwed in Melee (though the voices they used for Adventure modes Fox characters made me a little happy we got screwed), and we have David Hayter and Jason/Ryan doing Sonic in the US version of the game, we just need an English Marth, Mewtwo (if he has speaking lines this time around), Fox, possibly Falco, and Brawl characters.

Thank god the US anime's voice actor isn't foing him, but all I'm asking is, what does he sound like?
His stuff can be translated. And stuff in Japanese just sounds more cooler. And Snake and Sonic are Americanized characters. Course they gotta have American voice actors. But not Meta, he's sooooo either just the strong silent type or Japanese. But yea, anything but English. Just wouldn't sound right.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162

Shark X

Smash Lord
The first one is new to me, and I couldn't hear him say anything. The second I've seen plenty of times before, and I only hear the words Victory, and Destiny in those. Neither were very clear. That time I heard all of his words clearly, so now I know what to expect from Meta Knights voice. Take that **** in Boots and Zorro!

EDIT:
Heh, Shrek characters name gets censored. Funny.

Akiak

Smash Ace
Oh yeah I remember when I beat metaknight in kirby squeak squad and couldn't get the sword! (You don't get it in that game)
I was super mad. Instead of the metaknight sword the special ability of the game was the triple star rod: A stick that shoots stars.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

*Move this to MetaKnight topic if needed*

MetaKnight

Speed estimate: Very quick and lethal, noob and combo friendly
Power estimate: Attacks are usually multi-hitting, but lack the initiative to deliver a solid kill at a low percentage
Animation speed estimate: All aerials have very little lag, allowing little room for error.
Tier Prediction: Possibly high-Top

MetaKnight's Gameplay Objective

-Inflict heavy damage quickly
-Get the opponent of the edge
-Keep the opponent infront or above you to have the most priority

Character Design Positives

Ok, i'm gonna get to the meat. MetaKnight, is fast, too fast. All of his attacks have no initial start up lag and can inflict massive damage upon repeated attacks of the opponent. His mobility is probably shown at its strongest when MetaKnight is in mid air, as his physical ground mobility is only as fast as the average character.

Character Design Negatives

MetaKnights most obvious flaw was predicted before anyone even played Brawl; He doesn't have enough kill potential. This puts MetaKnight to a fair level of balance considering that he can inflict massive damage. Perhaps the best way to kill the opponent is to do very far out edge gaurds or just F-Smash at a high percentage. These limitations reduce MetaKnight's options to the old fassion Get-High-Damage-Then-Kill option. This weakness can become a problem, but MetaKnigh's positive traits have the potential to make up for it. Another thing: He can live for a good amount of time as well. I was amazed that he wouldn't die as quickly as we assumed.

Key Attacks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Damage Inflicting Moves
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fair
Move Description: 3 quick aerial slashes that inflict monor damage
Percentage: 3-4% per slash
DI: Forward/Up
Knockback: Low
Start up Lag: Minimal
Ending Lag: Minimal

This move is just awsome, high speed, high priority, and you can pull a good 12% quickly. This is also a great edge gaurding tool considering how man jumps MetaKnight has. When you SH fair with this you can actually start a combo due to the minimal damage and knockback (Low Percentages).One thing that I can say about the Slash is the directions of th slash feel as if you may miss the attack because of the crazy speed, but it's your mind playing games with you. I can't say many negatives about this move, it's just great!!

Bair
Move Description: 3 QuickSlashes that come out slightly faster than the Fair. Inflict monor damage.
Percentage: 2-3% per slash

(See Fair). Only thing that changes this move is its speed.

Neutral A (Hold)
Move Description: Very rapid sword slashes that cover both the front and back)
Percentage: 1-2% per slash
DI: None
KnockBack: None
Start up Lag: None
Ending Lag: Medium

Beyond his aerials, this is possibly the best damage inflincting weapon for MetaKnight when he is grounded. it's basicly a mad flurry of fast slashes that cover you from the front and back that can trap your opponent (It's fairly easy to DI out of though). It's relatively easy to initiate: just hold the attack button and let MetaKnight do what he does best. I'm very happy that the damage inflicted only serves as a temporary method of attacking because of the minimal damage it can inflict.

F-tilt
Move Description: Three Quick slashes that launch the opponent up
Percentage: 3-5% per slash
DI:3rd hit goes up
Knock Back: Medium-Low

This move is pretty fun to use, and gives you options at mid percentage. This move keeps the opponent in the air, thus giving you more priority over the opponent. MetaKnigh can keep his opponent in the air for a while, so using this or Fair at mid percentages can keep your opponent on lock down.

Neutral Air
Move Description: MetaKnight spins forward with his sword in the air
Percentage: 12-14%
knockback: Low-Medium
Ending Lag: medium

This move isn't anything special, but it has a decent amount of knockback. That's all I can really say about it. Lol

Forward B
Move Description: MetaKnight launches forward in a spiral inflicing heavy damage
Percentage: Up tp 30-26% (WTF?)
DI: None?
Knockback: Little-None
Start up Lag: Medium
Ending lag: High (End in Free fall/ 3rd jump)

Of all the moves that MetaKnight has, this is the most impressive one to me. You can control the curviture of the attack by tilting the control stick up and down. When this move connects, it WILL hurt your opponent, as you have complete control of the drill attack on the opponent. The only thing that is bad about this move is the fact that it leaves you in free fall, but the ending animation can allow you to DI back on the stage with ease even if you go away fromii the stage. Not to mention it leaves you in a safe position if you knock them high up insted of in a horizontal fasion. This move also just looks d*mn cool, try it in a free for all and see how much damage you will inflict!!

Neutral B
Move Description: MetaKnight spins quickly in a tornado like manuever
Percentage: Up to 25-30%
DI; None?
Knockback: little-None
Ending Lag: High (End in free fall/ 3rd jump)

This is a highly understimated move. It can inflict damage, has invincibility frames when starting up, cancel some projectiles and fully controlable. You can hover by tapping B as well. This move can inflict a good amount of damage, and it works as a safety move just in case you don't feel safe at a gigh percentage. I advise that people use this move more often, it's pretty good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Killing Moves
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F-smash
Move Description: MetaKnight charges up and launches a fast Horizontal Slash
Percentage: 17-25%
DI: Forward/Slight up
Knockback: Medium
Ending Lag Medium

This is pretty much MetaKnight's best killing move unfortunatly. it's fairly fast, but it can only kill a character at round 100% at the lowest. This move also has medium start up lag. Well, that's balance for ya. =/

U-smash
Move Description: MetaKnight does three consecutive quick upward slashes
Percentage: 6% per slash
DI: Up
Knockback: Low-Medium

This move is also fairly weak, and can only kill at around 140%!!! the only postive trait is the moves ability to inflict quick damage, that's it.

Up B
Move Desciption: MetaKnight launches up quickly with a slash, then goes into a glide animation
Percentage: 12-20% (At start up)
DI: Up/slighty right
Knockback: Medium
Start Up lag: Minimal
Ending Lag: Minimal/ varies

This move remings me of Marth's Up B, when you start the move up it inflicts nice damage and has some good knock back. This move is kinda hard to control and is slightly awkward. The move goes into a glide, but you can also attack during the glide, which can cancel the free fall? I really don't know that much about this move, more details will come soon.

Poke at moves

U-tilt
Move Description: MetaKnight thrust his sword strait up
percentage: 5-6%

This move is only good at knocking the opponent up and inlicting minor damage. Nothing special at all

D-tilt
Move Description: *Poke*
Percentage: 2-3%
DI: Forward/Down
Start up lag: Very Minimal
Ending Lag: Very Minimal

This is just like Marth's D-tilt, but it's faster and more annoying. you can use it consecutively, and it's funny. *Poke*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aerial Priority Moves
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uair
Move Description: MetaKnight swings up at the enemy and can do an additional slash(?)
Percentage: 5-7% per slash

This move doesn't have many uses beyond having aerial control over your opponent. Even though it can't do much, it's an important part of your air game.

Dair
Move Description: MetaKnight does a half crescent aerial down swipe
Percentage: 5-8%

This move is the least useful aerial MetaKnight has. It doesn't help keep your opponent in check when you are above him. It would only be useful with strict timing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other Attacks
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dash A
Move description: MetaKnight dashes with a fast kick at the opponent
Percentage: 7-8%
DI; Forward
Start up lag : Minimal

This attack really drags you after it ends. It's an ok attack, but don't use it that often, or at all.

*D-smash details soon to come*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retreat Moves
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Down B
Move Description: MetaKnight retreats within his cape and warps
Percentage: None
Knockback:None

This attack doesn't reflect, it just allows you to warp a short distance in one direction. It's useful considering that MetaKnight's aerial game is weak when he is below the opponent. It can inflict damage if you warp within the same area as the opponent. Use sparingly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grabs
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Coming Soon, all I know is his Up and Down grabs are like Kirby's*

MetaKnight's Control

MetaKnight may be button mash-o-refic, but having strict control over all of his movements is actually very tedious (Especialy his up B >_>). His Air game is complicated. A mjority of MetaKnight players typically stick to his air game, as it isn't as complicated as his average ground game. most of his moves feel very fluid and not tacked on, and he can maintain consistency attacks in the middle of any fight. If you like to stay steadfast in battle, go with MetaKnight.

My personal take of MetaKnight

MetaKnight is made of awsome. A majority of the wins I recieved came from the use of MetaKnight's fluid combo attacks and edge game. Even though he takes some getting use to, it's worth it in the long run. I would reccomend this character to anyone who plays this game, period. All and all, have fun!!

-EPF

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Nice guide, Eternal. Now start looking for those 0-death combos. ;)

Hmm, so Meta Knight does lack a true killing move for low percentage kills, but can dish out insane amounts of damage. Any insight as to his falling speed or weight compared to Melee characters?

katanagash

Smash Apprentice
He's definately going to be a speed attacker, that's for sure. Probably has alot of ways to build up combos as well. The only weakness I see in Meta Knight is his weight. He's about the same size as Kirby so he's probably very light.

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight seems cool to me but not that great

I read some where he's good for noobs

i'll give him a go

RedKnight

Smash Ace
Im really looking forward to playing him for a few reasons:

-Awesome moves

-Fast, but not crazy uncontrollable fast (Sonic)

-Mysterious, I'm dying to know how he fits in the SE

-Cool color variations

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
Sense the Halberd is his ship

Maybe he like the General of the sub space army

and then he will probably help you out

like in kirby's story

Top Bottom