• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight has a 0 to Death Combo...

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I believe SDI makes this not work against good players, but it's pretty good anyways.
Good luck getting a lock in the first place anyways.
It smells like an attempt to cause negativity and lead to a ban.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I believe SDI makes this not work against good players, but it's pretty good anyways.
Good luck getting a lock in the first place anyways.
It smells like an attempt to cause negativity and lead to a ban.
you're silly. I have never been for the metaknight ban. It's just that now that I've decided to use him I'm releasing my bag of tricks :)

Also, like I said in the video you can buffer a roll to buffered turn around d-tilt if they start getting too far away

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Have you tested this against superhuman SDI?

Anyways it's a gimmick, a damn powerful one. I have only been able to land a dtilt lock once so gl.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Wait, -LzR- how is releasing legitimately useful information about an MK tactic currently unknown to the metagame on the Metaknight boards "an attempt to cause negativity and lead to a ban"

Are you implying that we discover helpful tools to further MKs metagame, we should HIDE THEM instead so he doesn't get banned?????

Did you forget GIMR is the same player who showed that you could powershield and instantly act out of it, giving all characters increased options against Tornado? Please get that biased trash outta here?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
No Pierce, don't look at it as an offense.
I was simply meaning if this was an attempt to prove his brokeness.
Excuse me for my poor wording on my part.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
well if MK is broken I don't have to prove it. He just is. Like I said though. I'm against the ban. You're a MK player, you should be happy about this lol

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
This is really old I've known about this for almost 2 years (ally will back me up on this; I showed him). You have to be like pretty much frame perfect for it to work, it's harder to do consistently than Fox's infinite drillshine in melee imo. I only do it to show off when I don't happen to mess it up. It's better to do it across the stage and then back again. What I usually do if it was tournament though is just down tilt lock to the edge, then JAB them because they DI in, then down tilt again to a double hit Nair off the stage, then try to uair or reverse shuttle loop gimp them off stage as they are panicing and being predictible from nervousness

Tesh

Smash Hero
Lol @ MK players being worried that he might get banned if he gets a LITTLE better. I never see MK players land regular Dtilt locks in tourney, but this might make people try harder to set things up. Its definitely the best punish you could hope for at low percents.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
This is really old I've known about this for almost 2 years (ally will back me up on this; I showed him). You have to be like pretty much frame perfect for it to work, it's harder to do consistently than Fox's infinite drillshine in melee imo. I only do it to show off when I don't happen to mess it up. It's better to do it across the stage and then back again. What I usually do if it was tournament though is just down tilt lock to the edge, then JAB them because they DI in, then down tilt again to a double hit Nair off the stage, then try to uair or reverse shuttle loop gimp them off stage as they are panicing and being predictible from nervousness

i wish we could just suck out everything in your brain and see all these hidden AT's and strats that no one knows about and could completely change the game but you don't to save our little brains from exploding.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
lmao

M2K found ways to start this situationally on certain walkoffs and told Orion about a year and a half ago, but never knew you could do it back and forth across a stage.

Goddamn this is hilarious.

Exdeath

Smash Master
IIRC there is an old thread talking about doing this and M2K even posted about the Froll working. This is nowhere as useful as it looks. Thanks for trying to support the community though, GiMR.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
i wish we could just suck out everything in your brain and see all these hidden AT's and strats that no one knows about and could completely change the game but you don't to save our little brains from exploding.
Lmaooooo the hardest meat ride

Player-4

See you in 25 years
GiMR, is there a reason you posted this in 2 threads and made a thread for it all in the MK boards?

Slow your roll >_>

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
just trying to get the information out there, ya know?

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Trust me, we do almost nothing here, so when there's something to be read, it gets read. A thread is plenty. Just sayin'

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
kk, from now on I'll just post a thread and link it in the social thread

Edit: also, to everyone saying that it'd be impossible to start, did you not notice that the snake option starts with a d-tilt trip?, which happens at least once a match.

BlueZebra

Smash Journeyman
This looks pretty useful, not ban-worthy considering Pika also has his own 0-death.

Definitely worth noting and having as an option in a match. Thanks for posting this here.

What I usually do if it was tournament though is just down tilt lock to the edge, then JAB them because they DI in, then down tilt again to a double hit Nair off the stage, then try to uair or reverse shuttle loop gimp them off stage as they are panicing and being predictible from nervousness
I'd like to see a video of that being pulled off.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
Sure it may not be a super awesome option in a match but...
IT LOOKS COOL!!!

And after performing this on someone, they'll be freaked out most likely and then its gg from there. :)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
How do you setup a dtilt lock anyways? They can easily just mash L and airdodge before even touching the ground just to be safe. And there is rarely enough time to catch them if they have good DI.
I guess it's worth learning, but it won't win you matches.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Last thing MK and this game needed as a roster-wide 0-death. Especially MK. Of all characters.

That work on a variety of stages.

With multiple set ups.

One of them being the move of the hour itself.

:urg:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
The trip allows him to use another move to set up the lock which might not be possible in other circumstances without the trip opening the gate?

Exdeath

Smash Master
GiMR, did you have a CPU/someone use the character that you did this to? Turn around takes 1 frame (IIRC), so if it requires you to be frame perfect, it shouldn't work. Also, I don't think that the Froll past the opponent works with SDI after approximately 33%.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
I think you can Dtilt even without turnaround in some cases if your opponent SDI too much and your roll land on them still. Turnaround is only usefull if you're really far away, so it's not the safest option?

theunabletable

Smash Lord
This has been known for a reaaaaally long time. Read a thread on it back in like... 09 lol

The trip allows him to use another move to set up the lock which might not be possible in other circumstances without the trip opening the gate?
lol what?

trip>using a move that sets up Dtilt lock? what sets up a missed tech from a trip?

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
GiMR, did you have a CPU/someone use the character that you did this to? Turn around takes 1 frame (IIRC), so if it requires you to be frame perfect, it shouldn't work. Also, I don't think that the Froll past the opponent works with SDI after approximately 33%.
it doesn't matter if you do it on a human or not, after the d-tilt the opponent automatically stands up and retains invincibility from the standing animation.

Also, if you buffer the turn around d-tilt the pivot is completely canceled.

This has been known for a reaaaaally long time. Read a thread on it back in like... 09 lol

lol what?

trip>using a move that sets up Dtilt lock? what sets up a missed tech from a trip?
did you even watch the video? It shows to setups from a trip

Exdeath

Smash Master
it doesn't matter if you do it on a human or not, after the d-tilt the opponent automatically stands up and retains invincibility from the standing animation.

Also, if you buffer the turn around d-tilt the pivot is completely canceled.

did you even watch the video? It shows to setups from a trip
It does matter if you do it on a human/high level CPU set to walk because they will get up faster. There's a difference between getting up faster and getting up. I'm not exactly certain, but it seems like there are different stages in a jab lock. I'm not saying that the set-up itself is invalid, but I saw a couple of times when it seems that they should have been able to get up.

Table is saying that you can tech the Nair off of the trip.The only practical set-ups are knocking someone off of a platform>(FFLand>Dair or MNair) Uair>foot stool>MNair. The others only work if someone is surprised or bad. That doesn't make it useless though; this is very helpful against players who don't know to tech.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
@gimr: Oh I got a minute into the video and then stopped because it looked like stuff I'd seen before lol.

The nair thing looks like someone getting Dtilt>nair'd and not doing anything at all until they hit the ground and forget to tech... I mean I suppose it could happen to a player, but it's hardly more of a 0-death combo than d-throw at the ledge at 0 if the opponent forgets to recover or gets edge guarded lol.

And you can SDI the Dtilt so that you go out of range of Froll, and it happens and is practical, too.

the footstool setups look kinda legit (atleast above a platform so that they aren't falling down soooo far), but it looks like on normal ground (where you'd need to be to actually do the dtilt lock back and forth across the stage) the footstool hitstun would end waaay early lol.

@Xdeath: not just tech, air dodge before landing is way more common, and really easy to do, and less laggy. same angle as after a Dthrow, so I'd imagine people would usually just air dodge before landing. or do an aerial.

Although it could work, but the only scenario where I ever see locks setup nowadays is when you hit someone's shield on a BF platform or something and they fall off.

OverLade

Smash Hero
M2K posted this in the MK back room in 08 rofl.

There's no way you'll be able to roll behind them if they SDI away. And not many people have a good enough reaction time to turn around and Dtilt after trying to roll (you have to distinguish whether or not they're in front of you or behind you before you can think about inputing Dtilt).

Nothing new gained imo. Show a video of someone pulling it off against an SDIing opponent and I'll believe it. Better to just Dtilt lock once and charge a Fsmash.

Top Bottom