• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight: Video Compilation & Critique Thread

D

Deleted member

For those that missed it, Leo's Meta Knight against Mr. R's Sheik, grand finals set at Smash Factor 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I haven't posted videos in a minute and I have improved quite a bit. I think I'll do some recordings tonight since I'm having a Smashfest. Need to check in with the community every once in a while anyway.

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
i also notice you always immediately double jump whenever youstart uair chains, and it gives you a lot of consistency but its cutting into some early upair string kills you could be getting because the jumps get smaller faster.
AHA! When I'm practicing my u-air strings I FH U-air then double+u-air immediately after. It does give me consistency but I notice that when I'm one u-air away from killing I whiff it. So what are the exact controls for u-airs into Up-B from dash attack? I know the u-airs vary from character to character but I practice this on Sheik and I think she requires 5 U-airs. Also, is their anytime that you would need to turnaround jump into u-air because of DI? I notice that if I do this perfectly all I would have to do is follow their DI and reverse up-b. I'm not sure though. One last thing, can they DI up the u-airs and avoid it? Thanks in advance Ito!

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Grounded upb has more damage and knockback, that's why it happened.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Katakiri should have camped the big transformation, no reason to die there on the run off :ohwell:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
There's no money on the line he gave no ****s, he went for drill rush ffs. Despite being super aggro he still won, dat Katakiri.

He camped out a Ness player on that stage lol, so he can when he wants the crash.

That video inspired me to lame slow characters out.

Last edited:

V23

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yvesdev
A fun FFA to release some of training stress Vs my training partner @adom4 which is ranked like top 10-15 smash 4 :4ganondorf: worldwide and you should check-out if you are looking to further your ganon MU knowledge (and another unknown falcon name @SilentGodot which is my 2nd training partner)

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Larry seemed to know what he is on about relative to other commentators when it comes to MK. He pointed out the lack of up-B OOS and I agree that Mr R's MK looks pretty good and he's got the fundamentals and reads down, baiting airdodges very well, it's just lacking execution and optimisation (going for standing Fthrow near the edge instead of Uthrow for example). Also literally zero use of tornado which is disappointing. When he's more practised though, he'll be a monster.

Should he have tried using DCape against Pacman? I feel like it might be a good tool against him.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Well he's played Tyrant and lost, so its not surprising that he isn't talking out his ass like other commentators.

Misinformation such as you can air dodge inbetween uair combos or you can always sdi out of shuttle loop spreads like wildfire. The damage is already done sadly.

I like the roll get up reads.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Larry seemed to know what he is on about relative to other commentators when it comes to MK. He pointed out the lack of up-B OOS and I agree that Mr R's MK looks pretty good and he's got the fundamentals and reads down, baiting airdodges very well, it's just lacking execution and optimisation (going for standing Fthrow near the edge instead of Uthrow for example). Also literally zero use of tornado which is disappointing. When he's more practised though, he'll be a monster.

Should he have tried using DCape against Pacman? I feel like it might be a good tool against him.
Is Dimensional Cape effected by hydrant's pushboxes?
If not, it might be a great way to deal with the hydrant.

V23

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yvesdev
A crazy match i had with friend

This is example of playing against the player instead of playing against the character
Also, Doing Bair "spike" is just rewarding!

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
****** tried to be the king but the ace is back!:4metaknight:

This is the first footage of my post-FCR & EVO MK. Previously, I was only good at MK. Now, after playing and learning from top players, I'm good at Smash. Very big difference there. Shutouts to KERO tho. We each took 5 games off each other throughout the day and he got me in GF set 1. I had to pull-out the back-up play-style to clutch it from him and it was still close! What a beast. What a slippery, purple, water-bending beast.

Rowan:4peach::4pacman: v. Katakiri
Starts at 1:50
Switcheroo:4pikachu: v. Katakiri

Winner's Semis: KERO:4greninja: v. Katakiri (Cuts out due to video problems)

Grand Finals Set 1: Katakiri (winner's side) v. KERO:4greninja:
The commentary's pretty bad for these GFs.
Grand Finals Set 2: Katakiri v. KERO :4greninja:
After game 1 skip to 11:40 for game two or if you don't care to watch my Charizard get destroyed by Super-Effective moves, skip to 17:50 for game 3: the beginning of the MK run-back.:4metaknight:

After watching those matches back, my execution still needs work, and I think that's what's holding me back the most right now but I found at least part of what I should do about it, but my movement is really tight and my frame-traps are solid. If I get my execution down, soon it's gonna be "Tyrant? pfft~ He ain't no Katakiri. ┐(‘~`;)┌ " Smug Knight comin' through.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Only watched the first vid, love how you condition people with cape. Even me the viewer was guessing what you were gonna do and got it wrong twice in a row. :[

Edit: When you get hit horizontally i see you use Uair, it actually doesn't allow you to live longer jumping lets MK live 2% longer. So when you get hit by say Greninjas Down smash do the usual but mash the X button, we can spare 1 jump.

Edit harder: Did this guy...time out Greninja...? Thats what i like to see.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
LoS2W14 | WS | Sylveon(:4lucario:/:4ganondorf:) vs [UA]Jbandrew(:4metaknight:)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C8UoqIQ4TY
LoS2W14 | WF | [UA]Jbandrew(:4falcon:/:4metaknight:) vs Megafox(:4falcon:/:4greninja:)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk0HT4zmyzQ
LoS2W14 | GF | Megafox(Random) vs [UA]Jbandrew(:4metaknight:)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADve0NS19cA
-------------------------------------------------------------

LoS2W15 | WS | Shade(:4falcon:) vs [UA]Jbandrew(:4metaknight:)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=792jsem9tJs
LoS2W15 | WF | FunCrazyFish(:4lucina:) vs [UA]Jbandrew(:4metaknight:)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd1giVYSELE
LoS2W15 | GF | KJ(:4sonic:) vs [UA]Jbandrew(:4metaknight:)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW2MCIER9wE

Last edited:

Urameshi_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ban00dle
this isn't really a match but i had a question about this combo. if i fast fall the bair so only the first hit connects and makes them drop to the stage immediately, does it still technically put them in the tumble animation but a lot more briefly, or?

http://youtu.be/cttM1JkzXCU

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
this isn't really a match but i had a question about this combo. if i fast fall the bair so only the first hit connects and makes them drop to the stage immediately, does it still technically put them in the tumble animation but a lot more briefly, or?

http://youtu.be/cttM1JkzXCU
Iirc, only the second hit is an autolink. Is that what you mean?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
He's a prime example of a top level MK, he knows the percent where Villager dies(16% is where Villager dies) and he got it in both games. But he didn't uair combo correctly in game 1 so he was all over the place and got it in game 2 but missed the second hit.

He knew the MU, he knew to DA Villager if he used Lyod, his off stage pressure is insane he went to depths of hell to kill Ranai using drill rush under omega lylat.

Ranai is just the better player overall, he is the best in Japan afterall. Salena also had a crushing defeat against Nietono https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3MVdjc9nbo

He lost to 2 of the best players in Japan, did really well against Ranai but that's more to do with MK having a positive MU against him/her, also got 9th anyway yet another high placement(above abadango again).

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Ito's back, he's no longer ****ting on Norcal he's at San Diego and no he's not going Paragon.

http://www.twitch.tv/landiego/v/14341183

He got sent to losers, he was trying to go all Lucina but Ito can't win a tourney with a weaker swordsman. Commentators aren't cringe worthy actually a joy to listen to.
Losers Quarters: Ito(:4metaknight:) vs Tearbear(:4falcon:) - 1:13:50

Losers Semis: Ito(:4metaknight:) vs Luke(:4villager:) - 1:30:24

Losers Finals: Ito(:4metaknight:) vs SCB Markus(:4kirby::4sheik:) - 1:35:45

Grand Finals: Ito(:4metaknight::4lucina:) vs IC(:4diddy::4myfriends:) - 1:43:33

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
****** tried to be the king but the ace is back!:4metaknight:

This is the first footage of my post-FCR & EVO MK. Previously, I was only good at MK. Now, after playing and learning from top players, I'm good at Smash. Very big difference there. Shutouts to KERO tho. We each took 5 games off each other throughout the day and he got me in GF set 1. I had to pull-out the back-up play-style to clutch it from him and it was still close! What a beast. What a slippery, purple, water-bending beast.

Rowan:4peach::4pacman: v. Katakiri
Starts at 1:50
Switcheroo:4pikachu: v. Katakiri

Winner's Semis: KERO:4greninja: v. Katakiri (Cuts out due to video problems)

Grand Finals Set 1: Katakiri (winner's side) v. KERO:4greninja:
The commentary's pretty bad for these GFs.
Grand Finals Set 2: Katakiri v. KERO :4greninja:
After game 1 skip to 11:40 for game two or if you don't care to watch my Charizard get destroyed by Super-Effective moves, skip to 17:50 for game 3: the beginning of the MK run-back.:4metaknight:

After watching those matches back, my execution still needs work, and I think that's what's holding me back the most right now but I found at least part of what I should do about it, but my movement is really tight and my frame-traps are solid. If I get my execution down, soon it's gonna be "Tyrant? pfft~ He ain't no Katakiri. ┐(‘~`;)┌ " Smug Knight comin' through.
You gotta pay attention to them ledge getups. You could've took a stock or two with Meta Knight's forward smash.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Not sure if videos of online play are allowed in this thread, but...

Can someone criticize my rather lame Meta Knight and maybe give me insight on what I should focus on improving?

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings
Against characters like marth you want to bait his attacks with dashing and shielding, short hop fast falling, walking and a few forward smashes in between. Never use fair or side b in neutral. Also after some of your dash attacks you tried to follow up with fullhop up air. DONT DO THAT!!! Opt out for a tornado or an upsmash after dash attack. You need to shield more too. Marth has a bad grab game and you could've punished him a lot more if you used your shield.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Against characters like marth you want to bait his attacks with dashing and shielding, short hop fast falling, walking and a few forward smashes in between. Never use fair or side b in neutral. Also after some of your dash attacks you tried to follow up with fullhop up air. DONT DO THAT!!! Opt out for a tornado or an upsmash after dash attack. You need to shield more too. Marth has a bad grab game and you could've punished him a lot more if you used your shield.
I was hoping for general tips, but this is even better. Thanks! I guess I should take some time to study the match ups.

I also need to get better at short hoping, most of the time the character full hop even if I am only slightly pressing the button D:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Highlights from Katakiri's Big Adventure in Michigan:

vs Regralht (MI's best :4yoshi:)
vs Smasher1001
(MI's best :4mario:that isn't Ally)
vs Ksev
(MI's best :4fox:)