• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Sino

Smash Journeyman
I like to use Dthrow>Tornado at low %. I also like Dthrow>(SH)Shuttle loop(SH for a screen-spike or offstage). I also like to use Shuttle loop much and to edgeguard :D.

Nice guide btw

Dojo

Smash Champion
Lolz after a midair jump hold down your jump button.
Forward and down will make you directionalize down.
Backward and up will make you diectionalize up.
You have more momentum coming up after you've glided down.
Tada!

AT's...
hmmm
There's nothing i would really call an AT that really really affects MK's gameplay.
Just little nitpick stuff wavegliding, glide cancelling. Nothing big. Unless I'm missing something? IDK maybe someone else will help me out.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Yeah I mean he's got all the same AT's (ie. hyphen smashing) as everyone else but it doesn't affect him to much because of the speed he has. Mk's game is alot about follow ups and edgeguarding.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
DC edgehog is an important one.
Not really. I don't recommend using it unless you're confident you won't SD or land short, and if you need to get to the ledge like half a second faster.

Overall, its not at all important; hugging is a little slower, but works well and you won't SD if done incorrectly.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Yeah the risk over reward ratio isn't tempting enough to call that an "Important AT."
Most MK's wont use this ever unless trying to be overly flashy in more than likely a friendly match.
More than likely you'll never see an MK do this in tourney match.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
dojo ur one of my idol metaknight players. i play ur exact gimping playstyle =D!

anyway my question is :\

what is the real purpose behind the going under stages trick :\? to me seems like to show off our gliding/flyin ability? but does it prove to be more useful than just for show?

Dojo

Smash Champion
Haha well thank you.

I've found one usefulness for it that I can think of right now.

If your opponent ever reads you or manages to get back to the ledge before you while performing the shuttle loop, on smaller stages you can still go under and get back to the other ledge without getting boned outta your stock.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
Haha well thank you.

If your opponent ever reads you or manages to get back to the ledge before you while performing the shuttle loop, on smaller stages you can still go under and get back to the other ledge without getting boned outta your stock.
Holy ****! O_O thats true! how come i didnt think of it, i died alot from that hoping i can manage a stage spike like that but never get the sweet spot xD T_T guess an expert had to tell me TY man i appreciate it =D i wanna face ya sometime for practice and to have some fun ill pm my brawl code to u soon ^^ ty again.

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
Haha well thank you.

yeah that is real usefull but u have to mess arround with it a bit to get it right everytime.

Protathlitis

Smash Cadet
I've been told that it's an easy match-up, but how do you effectively play against a good Olimar. You can't really approach him with a dash, since he will forward smash you. You can't roll behind him, since he'll down smash you. If you approach from the air with d air, he has a huge hitbox with his up smash. Also, he'll shield-grab you with crazy range if you try to approach him with the running shield or a falling f air. I know MK's tilts help, but sometimes it's really hard to get close enough to use them. How do you guys fight good Olimars?

P.S. Dojo, I watched some of your videos and you've got a cool MK. Keep it up!

Dojo

Smash Champion
Tornado ***** it....

Hard.

Keep some distance between the two of you but apply enough pressure so that he doesnt have the time to continue pulling out pikmen without getting punished. Get rid of them with tilts, fairs, etc. and when he's defenseless **** him. If you get him off the edge, and you play it smart you should almost always have the kill.

EDIT: Thanks for the compliment.

Amide

Smash Lord
Is is a good idea to use DSmash a lot when opponent is close or keep it fresh for it to KO easier?

Protathlitis

Smash Cadet
Tornado ***** it....

Hard.

Keep some distance between the two of you but apply enough pressure so that he doesnt have the time to continue pulling out pikmen without getting punished. Get rid of them with tilts, fairs, etc. and when he's defenseless **** him. If you get him off the edge, and you play it smart you should almost always have the kill.

EDIT: Thanks for the compliment.
Hey Dojo, thanks for your reply. I see what you're saying with the distance game, and I'll definitely try to emphasize it more in my game; thanks a lot. However, when I use the tornado, it doesn't really seem to work...

It does penetrate the pikmin, but Olimar is so small and light that it does little damage and he usually smash DI's out of it, air dodges, and then grabs me when I'm landing out of it. I can tornado huge and medium characters fine, but I usually get punished when I try the tornado against the smaller opponents. Do you think I'm just not moving the tornado the right way, or what?

P.S. You're welcome. Thanks again for your help.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
You missed me beating Hylian in Austin today Dojo.

And the SUPER ULTRA OMEGA close match with Sethlon. Losing game 5 of the losers finals is the definition of suck. But it's cool, it's on camera and everything so I'll have more videos soon.

Relevant question: why weren't you there dude?

Dojo

Smash Champion
klgfjadjsl;fjadsl;kfadjs

I WANTED TO GOO :(
Santi's on vacation.
Cake had to work.
And honestly I had to work, but if I coulda had a way there I woulda just called in sick. Haha **** it man i wanted to be there. Nice beating hylian. Sethlon... is just too good haha. Nice getting that far man. Hopefully I'll see you at a tourney soon.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Is is a good idea to use DSmash a lot when opponent is close or keep it fresh for it to KO easier?
I'd personally like to know this too. It usually works for me except when I need the ko >.< Are there any attacks that could take dsmashes place even when its good to use it?

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Keep it fresh for a KO. Train yourself to use tilts in places that you would normally use D-smash against low damaged opponents.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Well I do it sometimes. It's probably not the best choice if you rely on it to get KO's. It can be replaced with tilts. It's dependant on your playstyle. Like for myself, I try to keep it fresh in case i can get the KO with it, but I try to rely more on edgeguarding to get my kills for me, so I use the dsmash if I have the shot.

Just think about how you get alot of your kills and if you find yourself dsmashing alot for the kill, then it would be a very good idea to find a replacement for it in those situations.

Hey Dojo, thanks for your reply. I see what you're saying with the distance game, and I'll definitely try to emphasize it more in my game; thanks a lot. However, when I use the tornado, it doesn't really seem to work...

It does penetrate the pikmin, but Olimar is so small and light that it does little damage and he usually smash DI's out of it, air dodges, and then grabs me when I'm landing out of it. I can tornado huge and medium characters fine, but I usually get punished when I try the tornado against the smaller opponents. Do you think I'm just not moving the tornado the right way, or what?

P.S. You're welcome. Thanks again for your help.
Tornado just takes some practice I guess. Idk.

Protathlitis

Smash Cadet
Okay, I'll try to practice the tornado more. I think I'm pressing the B button too many times. Against small characters, it seems it's better to use as a short dash move that leaves them vulnerable in the air, rather than a damage racker in and of itself. Thanks again Dojo.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
is it more useful to use Dsmash or Upsmash when your doing a tilt combo? i tend to to use up smash then right then use a shuttle loop for knock back and continue with either upair for another shuttle loop or a dair for gimpin purposes :\ which is better and more easier as i cant really tell from either one.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Its actually kind of a bad habit I cant seem to break....
Use uair when knocked like that. It gets you out of the animation faster and it DI's you up towards the edges which is where you need to DI towards.

Sino

Smash Journeyman
But if you get knocked back upwards you must do Dair, right? Because if you use Uair you just go higher, right? So if I understand it you use Uair when you get knocked back to the side and if you get knocked back under the stage and Dair when you get knocked back upwards, right?

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
But if you get knocked back upwards you must do Dair, right? Because if you use Uair you just go higher, right? So if I understand it you use Uair when you get knocked back to the side and if you get knocked back under the stage and Dair when you get knocked back upwards, right?
Every level in smash has a big box around where you'll die if you touch the outside of it, so to have a better chance of survival you'll want to DI towards a corner. DI'ing the opposite direction you're hit does not work.

If you're hit to the side of the level you'll want to DI your trajectory up by U-airing because it gives you a better chance at survival (flying towards a corner). Same goes for when you are hit straight up except you'll want to DI your trajectory to the left of right corner.

Visual

Direction and how far hit
Correct DI Usage

The trajectory on here isn't exactly accurate or anything; its just for visual understanding.

Hope I helped

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
i dunno if anyone has posted this already but i am bored =( so no one get mad at me ! :O

if anyone didn't know, you can do a nice combo of doing several up airs then using the mach tornado to bring your opponent up in the air.. reppeatedly press b (to bring them higer, obviously -_-) and they will die if you get them high enough :D. lol

this works amazingly on stages with very low ceilings like corneria.
also works well on brinstar if you start the combo from on the highest platform.

also, has anyuone else got this combo off? i tend to do it A LOT if my opponent lets me get it off lol.
f throw nair dair d tilt.. the dtilt will hopefully trip them and i'll immediately grab them while they trip :D lol. at a low percent, of course.

Krayn

Smash Apprentice
Whats it mean to play Meta Knight technically?

I was at a tournament once and Cort was saying how "M2K's MetaKnight is soo good, hes soo technical."

Just wondering what that meant.

Top Bottom