• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Melee Social Thread and stuff

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I think they dismissed it as a problem with either the console or the disc in the setup because it happeneded again off-camera with the same setup and didn't when they switched the setup.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Is anyone else seeing lots of Shaq on the boards today, or it just me?

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Okay, so Wednesday I found a melee weekly in town. The thing is, I'm horrid at Melee and have never even learned the ATs. I finished 5th out of 22nd because I am just playing Zelda and cheesing with Lightning Kicks, but I want to actually learn how to play.

Who would you guys say is the easiest to pick up and play? It's a little overwhelming just how many input commands I've gotta hit at once... but these guys are pretty cool, and I want to actually compete with them. I just don't really know how to get started.

Last edited:

Jmook11

Smash Apprentice
DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THIS APEX 2015 MOMENT?

I cannot find the match, but it was during Apex 2015, the players were on Final Destination, and there was non-Smash music playing in the background. A space (fox/falco) was knocked off the stage, and as soon as they side-b'd, the other player edge hogged at the same time as the music stopped. It was really cool and If anyone could give me a link to it I would appreciate it!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Thats like complaining about puff having an amazing edgeguard even though she herself is nearly impossible to edgeguard

yuuray

Smash Rookie
I know that Fox is a hard character to use, but **** I hate his Up Smash so much. He can easily Star KO characters while he himself is hard to Star KO thanks to his fast falling speed. If it were up to me I wouldn't even make that a reliable K.O. option.

/rant
Fox's usmash is a great move but smashes in general aren't the safest, I believe. It's been pointed out that Hax barely uses his Up Smash (or any smashes at all, really). So yea, you have to be wary but it's definitely punishable.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Fox's usmash is a great move but smashes in general aren't the safest, I believe. It's been pointed out that Hax barely uses his Up Smash (or any smashes at all, really). So yea, you have to be wary but it's definitely punishable.

That's because his airiels are his best moves. F-Air, B-air and Dair can lead to some incredible moves. Fox's Up Smash just had crazy priority, can kill pretty quickly and that hitbox m8.

Plus even then, I prefer Falco's and Samus' smash attacks because they are quick

Cool

Smash Journeyman
I know that Fox is a hard character to use, but **** I hate his Up Smash so much. He can easily Star KO characters while he himself is hard to Star KO thanks to his fast falling speed. If it were up to me I wouldn't even make that a reliable K.O. option.

/rant
He is the best character in the game, after all. :b:

kingPiano

Smash Ace
When did roy get banned from tournaments?
A new Roy tech was discovered recently; way too OP, so he's now banned from most of the large tournaments. That's why AmSa tweeted about t3h phir3.

Last edited:

Your Face

Smash Apprentice
I main Roy, but all my friends make me play Marth for handicapped matches. I'm not allowed into the doors of any tournament unless I take out my "I'm not a Roy player" card and they check to see if it's legit.

Lucasmaster90

Smash Rookie
NNID
LucasmasterBR
i start playing melee likealitle time ago, and i want to now what is more important: now the game (MUs, ATs, frames, situations) or training in the game with basick nowing of the game?

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
i start playing melee likealitle time ago, and i want to now what is more important: now the game (MUs, ATs, frames, situations) or training in the game with basick nowing of the game?
Kinda hard to say because I'm not sure what you're saying exactly, but I'd say have a basic knowledge of how to actually play the game and then everything will improve with experience. Read the boards, watch videos, but above all play. Also check out the FAQ thread for questions.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Working on improving my neutral in Melee, but I'm relatively new to the game overall. Any tips you guys could throw my way?

dj_red_lantern

Smash Rookie
The most important thing in neutral , in my opinion, is knowing the spacing for every character well. That will allow you to space around and bait certain options with wavedashing and dash dancing. The spacing knowledge has to be completely burned into your mind and that really can only happen from playing the game a lot, and against different characters. You will learn your own spacing rather quickly for your main if you consciously think about it, but learning it for every other character can definitely take a while.

dj_red_lantern

Smash Rookie
anyone know if the new black smash 4 controllers fit the original gamecube controller parts 1:1?

I have a good controller now but I want to get that nice matte finish and mix & match parts within the shell
I'm 90% sure that should work. My friends always swap around the parts to their gamecube controllers and never have any problems.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Reposting from Mario boards:
I'd just like to throw out that I've had a few conversations with a really knowledgeable player on incorporating dominant elements of certain characters, into other characters gameplay.

I was reminded of it by reading a snippet on smashboards from DR.PP, talking about his working dashdancing into Falco's game. To grossly paraphrase, he says that a lot of players will just cut sub optimal parts of characters game, out, which is to say, Falcos wouldn't DD because Falco's DD is relatively poor.

DR.PP used DD with Falco by acknowledging that on its own, it wasn't that good, and looking for a way to augment it with another part of Falco's game. So now he incorporates DD, at very specific distances, while also keeping laser relevant. Bam. Falco meta has DD now.

What I'm trying to say with all of this, is players need to do this more. Look to other characters fortes, hell, look to other players fortes, and incorporate. Samus as a character spaces with lots of micropositioned Ftilts and Jabs, but HugS specifically does so out of shield, as well as to bait spacing based reactions.

So from watching lots of Samus matches I've started micropositioning more with Mario's Ftilt's and Jabs. From watching lots of HugS matches, I've started using WD OoS > Ftilt to zone, as a way to move out of high pressure situations and establish a toe hold with which I can push advantage in the neutral.

I'm doing all this with Mario. In this case his tools are similar enough for it to translate mostly intact, but that won't always be the case, but players have to try this stuff. See if you can fit this part of this characters game, or that part of that players game, into your character, and your thought processes, and your style. It'll let you build upon your character and your mentality and play, while watching a match between two characters you don't play, and two players you don't play like.

Last edited:
Top Bottom