• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee/PM: GameClucks (Washington): August 3rd!

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
sage ruined me a lot with his Marth at sakuracon, lol

mikeHAZE, Combo Status and the UW crew all favor melee for sure haha. I'm not going to be around in the summer but I can safely say that at least.

BladeWise

Smash Lord
I'll always be down to **** at Melee, no matter where or when.

Switching back and forth between Brawl and Melee... It's so wonderful to see how stuff in Melee actually...... works.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
hey sage whats up do u play melee at all or just a beastly pit with double looping arrows?
unfourtunately my switch to brawl makes it so hard for me to play melee. I try to airdodge a lot and it just doesnt work... plus i miss l cancels more often. So I play melee still, but my skill has gone downhill, I prefer brawl.

Jem.

Smash Master
Anyone who was decent at melee still loves melee, mike, but its hard to generate decent turnouts for melee tournaments, since everyone loves brawl a lot more for some reason.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Hey Nate, are you plannin' on coming to gameclucks this week? 'Cuz me going isn't very fun unless there's someone else there who's actually serious about liking melee lol.

DJ Combo

Smash Lord
Lol are shane and otto not going?

I'm of course going to Gameclucks... and everyone remember, It's Melee only, so don't bring brawl.

Oh and this time I'll remember 10 bucks to enter lol.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
We like Melee lol.
yeah i know you're just not very fun when you're sleeping the whole time lol. (yes i realize that you don't do that every time lol) and shane plays brawl for most of the tourney soo...yeah haha

XD @ melee onry comment

EDIT: mike when are you coming up here again?? im too lazy to look at any previous posts

DJ Combo

Smash Lord
Because I want to convert all the brawl players to Melee by showing them its actually worthy of a tournament entry fee through the much greater competetive edge and skill capacity levels beyond belief.

Edit: I'd also be down to find someway of making weeklies/biweeklies/triweeklies happen... Just something more often than once a month.

BladeWise

Smash Lord
lol you two are funny.

Brawl wont be overtaken by Melee. ever. even despite Melee's superiority and more devoted fanbase.

However, splitting the Brawl and Melee tournaments is not a good idea either, because driving to Lynnwood is a pain, and we have plenty of time and TVs to run both, and having more of the smash community together is always more fun.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
I think Teddy's partially correct. Melee will probably never be able to completely overtake brawl, but as long as there are still some people who try to play it and get better at it, meaning having actual tournaments and things for it, and assuming brawl continues to have no real significant discovories regaurding its depth and competitive nature, the skill gap between the two games will start to become more and more obvious, and as a result, I believe the portion of the brawl community that is actually looking for real depth, (who only really became partial to brawl because they either thought it too late to try Melee, or just because brawl was the first smash bros they were introduced to) will start to break off from the rest of the community, and be strongly drawn to Melee.

Like nate said, it's pretty unavoidable. though it's a given that it may take awhile.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
and assuming brawl continues to have no real significant discovories regaurding its depth and competitive nature,
Brawl has already had significant discoveries regarding depth. Some are not well known because I've kept it to aim conversations with WA ppl only. I'll show you all at the next tournament (works w/ all characters)

DJ Combo

Smash Lord
Lol the depth he is talking about is not simply tricks you are hiding from people.

I'd say its more when you don't lose a match all tourney with plenty of them being 3 stocks and incorporated in there were a vast majority of efficient and stock depleting combos.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
brawl's "significant discoveries" regarding depth have all been minor situational 'advanced techniques' and are nothing even close to adding depth worth mentioning.

i think i said i was potentially coming to THIS gameclucks on the 14th. i meant the next one, next month. whenever it is.

i wont be at this one

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i was starting to hate it before that because of how ridiculously stupid the game was becoming and i pretty much just got fed up with the game during that tournament. i didn't even bother playing dieslow i just quit out of both matches and was just frustrated the entire tourney

i had a lot of hope in that game being good and the more you play it the more you realize that it just isn't going to grow over the years

also please note that i never claimed to be good at brawl before, i never came saying "i'm going to win" nor did i even tell people i would for sure place. all i said was "nobody is good at this game yet" and at that point... nobody was good at that game yet.

i was pro brawl for a long time because i was so desperate for the game to be good. i've given brawl wayyyyy more chances than it deserves. It's not really abnormal that you'd start to feel wear and tear over time on a game you devote so much time to when it really doesn't have that much to offer. back then i played constantly just trying to figure out what COULD be done. When i noticed there wasn't a lot of potential for growth i stayed at it but knowing that and playing was just becoming a burden and eventually it was just like hitting a light switch - except it was more of a "realize that brawl is ********" switch.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I believe the portion of the brawl community that is actually looking for real depth, (who only really became partial to brawl because they either thought it too late to try Melee, or just because brawl was the first smash bros they were introduced to) will start to break off from the rest of the community, and be strongly drawn to Melee.
As someone who started taking Melee seriously literally a week before Brawl came out, I'm really glad I didn't fall into the "it's too late to try Melee" mentality that I almost had. It was kind of funny, I had friends telling me "Don't bother with Melee, Brawl's coming out in a week, just play that if you want to play Smash competitively," but somehow I knew that I'd be making the wrong choice to do that.

ANYWAY, to change the subject very briefly

Thank you MikeHAZE for your good grace and wisdom. May we never fall from your guidance, and may we not be done in by the Japes of the River, but rather be uplifted by its glory.

Eggz

Smash Hero
I'm really tired of these small melee turnouts. I'm not gonna lie, everyone in Washington but ammon sucks **** at melee. We thought we were good, but after watching M2K's style, we arent anywhere close to him. We need to start having regular melee tournaments, even if its just like ammon, nate, otto, teddy, and myself or something, just so we can have practice for any big melee tournaments this summer. I really ****ed up at Georgia, and I wanna **** the next melee tournament I go to OOS, so lets get good.

Jack Pack

Smash Apprentice
seriously though, we need to step it up. and when we say were actually gonna try to get good at a mtach up like jpuff for example, we need to actually do it. not just do it once, know the chance is there, then go to an oos tourney confident until it happens again and again and we dont realize. we do, but we dont do enough. theres more to the game than us just ****** top tiers. jigglypuff is ****ing gay. etc. shanes right. next weekend shane come over to nates and lets go thru the footage too, i cant do it alone lol, its really not possible. hours of sitting there, i also dont want to choose for myself. mewoth. /rant

EDIT: I mean I'm not silent wolf...mm me at PAX and stuff.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
as soon as i'm back i'll be playing some melee again... maybe i'll even re-learn the game to the point where i want to go oos also.

maybe i'll even pick up a top tier or something.

probably not though @ the top tier thing LOL

Like we did until we all got better. There's no easy way out, just gotta get beat over and over. Yellow Batman, ASSEMBLE. That means join the Melee tourney John....and Dugg.

Top Bottom