• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee It On Me podcast! Join the MIOM Facebook Group!

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Yeah I have trouble catching it because I work until midnight EST. This could use some updating though.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Eh, why not? The long awaited return of Melee It On Me. This Wednesday. 9:30 PM EST, 6:30 PM PST.

Tune in. Lots of stuff to talk about.

Upcoming Events, EVO and the road to it, Dr. Z's favorite shampoo, and much more.

prog

Guess who is back?

MIOM Next Episode is TOMORROW!

Something we'd LOVE to talk about is cultivating SSBM's sense of community. When do you feel most embedded in the community? At what moments is it most important to you, and least important?

As a competitive game whose community is made up mostly of players, I feel that we identify with different roles. What are they, and when are they at their best/worst?
-As players
-As fans
-As organizers (TOs, streamers)
We'll also go through the recent tournaments like NCR. Agenda subject to change - please comment with your experiences here and I hope you tune in / call in!

Also, BONUS STAGE!

UltrachenTV (arguably, the premier podcast in the FGC) weill eventually have a segment on SSBM after the performance at NCR and leading up to EVO. They'll go over a couple of matches selected by who?

Well, Mr. I Killed Mufasa himself, Scar. Two matches have already been selected:
1. Revival of Melee - Shiz vs M2K, Game 4
2. Genesis 1 - Mango vs Armada, Game 2.4

There is a final spot remaining that's in your hands. Have a twitter? Tweet @bobbyscar your vote and a small explanation why. The one that gets the most votes will be selected as the third game to be reviewed by my favorite commentary duo in the FGC. Don't have a twitter? Well, uh...better hurry up and get one.

-----
9 PM EST/6 PST. 8 Central, 7 Mountain.

twitch.tv/bobby_scar

Upke

Smash Journeyman
Yo, I'm pretty hype for this. I think the third video should be of a mid/low tier wrecking face with the appropriate screaming commentary. Axe tends to do this pretty well, but I don't have a specific video in mind. I'll look for one when I get out of class and attempt Twitter.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
To answer that question:
I feel most embedded in this community when I'm watching a really hype match live, and I feel synchronized with everyone experiencing it whether by stream or in person. Whether you're new to the community or are a seasoned veteran, everyone will scream in unison at the amazing feats performed by the players, and it's completely visceral, so you can't fake it.

That's as embedded as I can get without having the means to travel to tournaments.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
I'll drop an answer to the community question from a player/TO perspective:
1. As a player, I feel most embedded when doing local smashfests. I'm guilty of not going to the PGH scene's fests because of no car (no longer the case wooo), but I started a smash club at my university that brought together a bunch of guys I'd have never met otherwise. Everyone likes having more friends, and Melee helps in that regard.

2. As a one-time TO (hopefully monthly), I really got that community feeling about two-thirds of the way into the tournament. Everything was running super smoothly. No shortage of friendlies, and everyone was happy. I only knew like 10 out of the 35ish people who showed up, but by the end of the day I was at least acquainted with everyone there. It felt pretty good to be able to put together something that worked out for all parties.

Although I was a bit scared that I wasn't actually part of the community in the days before the tournament since I wasn't getting a lot of confirmation from players outside of university bounds. I was fearing that the tournament would be like 10 people and be so little payoff for all the work. Probably would be a lot closer to quitting if that was the case, but Pittsburgh (with some help from Ohio and WV) showed how awesome they were.

Also looking forward to tuning in. Glad I can actually catch one of these live.

EDIT: Maybe I'm being dumb, but where's the URL for MIOM? I went on Scar's twitch and nothing.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Actually that's a good point. It says Wednesday April 30th. April 30th is a Tuesday... so yeah...not sure what it's supposed to be.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
I think the picks for the first two videos are great, but the game has sped up considerably since then, so it'd be nice if the third video was something from 2012-2013.

Revven

FrankerZ
To keep everyone on the same page, here's what James Chen is looking for for us to find:

https://twitter.com/jchensor/status/329404202189205506
https://twitter.com/jchensor/status/329404252357283841
https://twitter.com/jchensor/status/329404309122985985

So yeah, what matches best fit that criteria? I really feel we should try to stick to 2012-2013 matches, but if something older is needed then reaching to something in 2010-2011 wouldn't be bad. Anything older? Ehhhhh... *shrugs*

We'll figure it out though tonight, hopefully.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
I think watching V3ctorman gives the audience a lot of tangible advanced techniques to keep track of as opposed to hype or meta. He uses both DJCs and parries really well not only by themselves, but he can implement them into important combos nicely.

The Business

Smash Journeyman
I think watching V3ctorman gives the audience a lot of tangible advanced techniques to keep track of as opposed to hype or meta. He uses both DJCs and parries really well not only by themselves, but he can implement them into important combos nicely.
(virtually) nobody else uses yoshi. how will showing them a character they'll never see again in tournament help?

Pengie

Smash Lord
Just gonna throw this out there; I don't think Shiz vs M2K is the kind of match you'd want to show. I mean, sure, it's really hype and exciting, but it's also ridiculously sloppy on both sides and doesn't paint a good picture of what high-level smash entails. Also it's super dated which isn't doing it any favors.

I think more suitable sets would be recent matches from any of the players in, like, the top 16 or so of APEX. Off the top of my head I think that any of the Leffen vs Javi matches would do a good job of showing the fast paced footsies that go on in Melee. I think that it'd also be a good contrast to Mango vs Armada in showing how dynamic of a game Melee is while also showing that, while things can get super fast and hectic, strong fundamentals stand out as one of the hallmarks of high-level play.

Pengie

Smash Lord
It showcases the ledge game. Something unique to smash
Yeah I guess, I just think that there's probably better matches that show how the edge gets incorporated into a player's decision making process. I just don't see there being much to bring up regarding the ledge in that match beyond "Shiz ran at M2K on the ledge for no real reason and died, oh and then he does it two more times..." I just kinda wanted to bring that up because it seems that people were jumping on really hype matches rather than matches that had multiple points of discussion that may not necessarily be obvious to those with a limited melee background.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Hax vs Darkrain at FC is a match that's both hype and shows a lot of Melee fundamentals in a fairly straightforward way

Jayk

Smash Apprentice
Leffen vs Javi (Apex 2013 L6)
M2K vs Mango (Apex 2013 LSF)
Wobbles vs Shroomed (KOC 2 LF)

Imo these are all recent, high level videos that showcase a lot of the different playstyles available, from the stereotypical Fox dittos on FD to ICs verse Doc.

MVP

Smash Ace
missed it cause of homework:(

anyone wanna help a brotha out and sum up what happened?

prog

Lots of discussion, special guests:

Samox (The gentleman working on the Smash Bros. Documentary)
James Chen (FGC Stalwart and Commentator)

Also, I did curls and ate pasta.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Prog was looking good for the stream.

Having James Chen talk was an amazingly awesome idea and it was cool seeing the excited outsider's perspective of our lil' competitive community.

Top Bottom