• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Featured In EVO 2015 Trailer

What game do you want in EVO 2015?

• Melee!

Votes: 247 34.0%
  • Smash 4!

Votes: 103 14.2%
  • Both!

Votes: 377 51.9%

• Total voters

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
I honestly think that any new game should be given a year to develop before they're featured at the biggest tournament of their respective genre. Is that normal?
That's bold and understandable. but you think it is realistic?
I mean Dota got into it's the biggest tournament even on it's beta phase.

New games have hype. New games have interest.
Thing is almost every multiplayer game gets high numbers on release year and then declines year by year.
Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, Destiny, etc.

Waiting a year for Tekken 7 to develop?

Also, it can become a chicken and egg. By being into Evo, it will hasten the development compared to not being in Evo.

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
So a completely personal and subjective opinion is BS? Not everyone likes a broken mess, you know.

Highlighted these for you, you might not find Smash4 exciting because all you want is combos, but some people do find the game very exciting and fun, not to mention accessible.
The entirety of your post should not be directed at me but to yourself. The only reason I even replied to you was because of your unwarranted bashing of Melee and praise for Sm4sh.

@bold is another example of what I'm talking about.

Also this...

Obviously the desire for Melee and the desire for Smash 4 are based solely on personal opinion, as you have outlined. You and others prefer Smash 4 and myself + others prefer Melee.

However, why do you feel the need to come here and start bashing Melee and its supporters? That's what I'd like to know. You're sitting here praising Smash 4 to high heavens and wanting it at Evo, but yet when people want Melee at Evo, they're suddenly bad people with a wrong opinion and are monsters who have no taste. Seriously?

People can have their differing opinions, but I know for sure that I'd like to see a lot less bashing other people's opinions thank you very much.
Give this man a cookie.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I'm still confused as to why you didn't choose "both".

This comment is directed at anyone who didn't choose "both".

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings

This please...why not make everyone happy?

I think Melee is stale and boring but if Smash 4 is there then I can be happy, I'm not forced to watch Melee...so I'm happy if those that want to can.

Batousai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davis1228
3DS FC
0533-5267-7408
This is a pointless debate. Opinions differ.

I find competitive Melee a little too repetitive and dull to watch, aside from the occasional unique play, and Sm4sh is still very new and has a lot of untapped potential, along with a yet-to-be-developed metagame.

But despite opinion, the real answer is that Super Smash Bros should be in EVO. Whether it's Melee or Sm4sh or both, is entirely up to the organizers to decide. That's all there is to it.

To insist that the opposite choice of your own preference should be left out, is childish.

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I voted both. Would love to see Smash WiiU and Melee there. There's a huge community for every Smash game, so I believe that warrants this unlike other fighting games. Nonetheless, I am excited for EVO 2015!

Berble

Smash Apprentice
Brawl was given a chance at EVO before so I think that Smash 4 should have a chance as well
Did you see how poorly Brawl turned out at Evo 2008 when they gave it a chance just because it was a new game? Why would they make the same mistake with Smash 4? I agree Smash 4 should get a chance to prove itself but Evo is the world's biggest fighting game tournament, not a place for us to test the new smash game.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
Did you see how poorly Brawl turned out at Evo 2008 when they gave it a chance just because it was a new game? Why would they make the same mistake with Smash 4? I agree Smash 4 should get a chance to prove itself but Evo is the world's biggest fighting game tournament, not a place for us to test the new smash game.
it wasn't brawl's fault that Evo gave out their own ruleset.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454

It'll be extremely unlikely for 2 Smash games to be on the main stage. Especially with GGXrd and MKX around the corner, along with Blazblue having a big impact last year. So I voted for the game I enjoy more (Melee). I think Project M was a side-event last year, so which ever game doesn't make the main stage will most likely have that to look forward to.

The FGC is already kinda iffy on Melee. Imagine the response if 2 Smash games got the spotlight.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
I love Melee, I'll always be glad to see it head to EVO, but I'm also really interested in seeing a major tournament like this host Smash 4 as well. Watching the metagame grow from infancy just sounds really entertaining. It'd be such an interesting clash, SSBM (very high level players/veterans with a solid established metagame) and SSB4 (mildly- to semi-experienced players in a very new environment).

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
It'll be extremely unlikely for 2 Smash games to be on the main stage. Especially with GGXrd and MKX around the corner, along with Blazblue having a big impact last year. So I voted for the game I enjoy more (Melee). I think Project M was a side-event last year, so which ever game doesn't make the main stage will most likely have that to look forward to.

The FGC is already kinda iffy on Melee. Imagine the response if 2 Smash games got the spotlight.
Instead of rallying for Melee AND 4 to be in. You rally for Melee and GGxrd, MKx and BB instead?

I wouldn't say it is extremely unlikely that the 2 smash will be in. But I say Melee and Smash4 is projected to get a LOT MORE entrants than GGxrd, MKX, and BB combined. I say Smash4 alone, can beat those 3 combined in # of entrants.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Instead of rallying for Melee AND 4 to be in. You rally for Melee and GGxrd, MKx and BB instead?

I wouldn't say it is extremely unlikely that the 2 smash will be in. But I say Melee and Smash4 is projected to get a LOT MORE entrants than GGxrd, MKX, and BB combined. I say Smash4 alone, can beat those 3 combined in # of entrants.
I'm not rallying for anything.
I'm just saying having 2 Smash games on the main stage is gonna have a negative response from the FGC. Even if there's 2000 entrants from both games combined, there WILL be backlash. I would love having both, but EVO is a place for the entire FGC. Not just the Smash fandom. That's why it's futile to expect 2 games from ANY series, especially Smash.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
A few facts to look at:
I am a Melee player exclusively.
I like ALL of the Smash series.
EVO would be a great chance to showcase Smash 4 as a game.

I really like Smash 4 so far. I am not really interested in playing in the competitive scene for Smash 4, but I support it.

Fun fact: Injustice: Gods Among Us was released in April of 2013. It was added to EVO 2013. It also made it back in 2014.

I see no problem in having Smash 4 in EVO given there are no items and (as cool as it would be) no equipment or character customization. I also see no problem in bringing back Melee that drew over 1000 players to EVO last year. Both games will have the ability to do well at EVO. Smash 4 will potentially bring in many new players due to the accessibility. Melee can gain even MORE entrants due to the recent accessibility of new Gamecube controllers (made by Nintendo, with unknown quality to my knowledge).

Both games would be awesome to have on the big stage. I think we should just continue with the perspective of #oneunit, because we are pretty separate from the FGC still (somehow).

NiderQueen

Smash Cadet
NNID
YakiStrider2409
3DS FC
2681-0178-5926
OMG yes we should have sm4sh and melee at EVO 2015. i think it'd be more engaging to have two varieties of smash at EVO. also man it'd be awesome for people to be smashing in the audience during melee matches

Batousai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davis1228
3DS FC
0533-5267-7408
Those with the #oneunit mentality are a step above the rest in logic and maturity. The fgc doesn't consider Smash as a real fighting game. ALL OF SMASH, not just Melee. The only reliable way to grow, despite being the outcast, so to speak, is to be ONE community. No other fgc franchise is divided like Smash is.

Take Street Fighter, for example. The 4th game is slower than the 3rd and even removed some mechanics. Sound familiar? *cough*MeleeandBrawl*cough* But seriously, the SF community didn't complain as much as the Melee community has, nor do they divide their community into SF3 and SF4 camps.

If they can be mature about it, so can we, unless the Smash community (mostly Melee from what I've observed) is full of people with the emotional control and mental state of toddlers. This divisive, defensive, argumentative behavior is part of the reason why Smash isn't taken seriously by outsiders.

Also, history has provided that new games have made it into EVO, due to the hype being the highest during the 1st year. This it would be smart for the organizers to put new iterations of each franchise in and main events, because they'd benefit from the "new game hype". I.e. Ultra SF, GGXrd, BB Crono Phantasma, Tekken Tag 2 or 7, maybe DoA 5 Last Round, and Sm4sh.

That's not to say Melee shouldn't be there, it deserves some airtime. But we don't know if there will be another find raiser event like last year, that can get Melee in again.

Once again, it's the organizers' decision, and from a logical standpoint it's a little inconvenient to get an outdated set up hooked up to the event stage for one game when the newer version can use the exact same set up as ever other main event game.

I'm not strongly biased, i just recently played a bunch of PM with friends and enjoyed myself ALMOST as much as I enjoy Sm4sh. I just live by logic, and logistics is what makes the business world go 'round. But who knows for sure? We could get a pleasant surprise, and both games could be featured.

Last edited:

Snowfin

Smash Cadet
Oh god you guys are hilarious.

I'm on the CT stream daily, and all I see are exciting matches, and without a single ounce of sliding around awkwardly and cheaply edgehogging at 15%.
cheaply edgehogging at 15%, and gimps are what make Melee so amazing and so much different than every other fighting game. With Smash 4´s bull**** "everyone can recover and gimping is almost impossible" ledge mechanics, the game becomes a "party game a bit like street fighter".

Smash 4, and Brawl before it, make Smash the "party game" we all keep saying that Smash ISNT.

The thing that makes Melee so absolutely amazing is the ability to kill at low %s... the fact that 1 STOCK IS NOT A LEAD. But you people just dont seem to get it... so sad

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042

Because it's unlikely and other communities we're hardly affiliated with will (might) dislike us for it, we should definitely never try, ever ever, ever in the world, ever. This is logic, this is life.

cheaply edgehogging at 15%, and gimps are what make Melee so amazing and so much different than every other fighting game. With Smash 4´s bull**** "everyone can recover and gimping is almost impossible" ledge mechanics, the game becomes a "party game a bit like street fighter".

Smash 4, and Brawl before it, make Smash the "party game" we all keep saying that Smash ISNT.

The thing that makes Melee so absolutely amazing is the ability to kill at low %s... the fact that 1 STOCK IS NOT A LEAD. But you people just dont seem to get it... so sad
This made me lol. Not because I disagree, but because it's a pretty dumb response.

Last edited:

Snowfin

Smash Cadet
Because it's unlikely and other communities we're hardly affiliated with will (might) dislike us for it, we should definitely never try, ever ever, ever in the world, ever. This is logic, this is life.

This made me lol. Not because I disagree, but because it's a pretty lame response.
I agree... its pretty dumb to even try to explain to someone why gimping is such an important part of Smash and how stupid it was to make it almost impossible in the latest 2 iterations of the series. Like it should be a given right...?

Then again... i guess its pretty dumb to respond to you as well since your post was obviously flame bait.

Dumb me :/

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I agree... its pretty dumb to even try to explain to someone why gimping is such an important part of Smash and how stupid it was to make it almost impossible in the latest 2 iterations of the series. Like it should be a given right...?

Then again... i guess its pretty dumb to respond to you as well since your post was obviously flame bait.

Dumb me :/
Dumb you :/

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454

This made me lol. Not because I disagree, but because it's a pretty lame response.
Well, how would you feel if instead of getting Smash 4 OR Melee, we got Ultra Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter 3rd Strike, and Street Fighter II Turbo Remix? Pretty lame, I'd imagine. Maybe a little angry. It's the same for those other fandoms we're "hardly affiliated with". Sometimes I like to consider what other people want, rather than just what I want.

Batousai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davis1228
3DS FC
0533-5267-7408
And this is what I was talking about. Non-Melee players speak their opinion and Melee players get defensive.

Both sides have decent points, but both are guilty of being wrong about the other game.

There's nothing wrong with a skillfully executed gimp, but at the same time, forcing the opponent to fall by simply grabbing onto the edge doesn't make for impressive play or a good watch. Sm4sh fixes ledge-hogging, but I still gimp people all the time, Marth style.

Melee isn't always repetitive or lacking variety in plays, and Sm4sh isn't as simplistic as some say.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Well, how would you feel if instead of getting Smash 4 OR Melee, we got Ultra Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter 3rd Strike, and Street Fighter II Turbo Remix? Pretty lame, I'd imagine. Maybe a little angry. It's the same for those other fandoms we're "hardly affiliated with". Sometimes I like to consider what other people want, rather than just what I want.
If EVO was all Street Fighter titles, that would be a bad move by the EVO staff. Real talk, I would probably laugh at the Melee community. I don't watch EVO until months after it actually happens, so I would still be salting in the long run, but not as hard as the Melee community in general. The rage would be hilarious. But you're right. It's either we get one smash game in EVO, or EVO only features Street Fighter.
And this is what I was talking about. Non-Melee players speak their opinion and Melee players get defensive.

Both sides have decent points, but both are guilty of being wrong about the other game.

There's nothing wrong with a skillfully executed gimp, but at the same time, forcing the opponent to fall by simply grabbing onto the edge doesn't make for impressive play or a good watch. Sm4sh fixes ledge-hogging, but I still gimp people all the time, Marth style.

Melee isn't always repetitive or lacking variety in plays, and Sm4sh isn't as simplistic as some say.
Smash players in general get really defensive. The smash community is the worst community I've ever seen. Actually, since apparently Melee isn't a Super Smash Bros. game, I'll say the Melee community is the worst I've seen, and the smash community comes really close.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
You're not forced in watching Melee if BOTH got in...
While that's true, I still think Melee should just take a break from EVO, so people can see Smash 4 has competitive potiential. I mean, people should at least give Smash 4 a chance...

Last edited:

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
While that's true, I still think Melee should just take a break from EVO, so people can see Smash 4 has competitive potiential. I mean, people should at least give Smash 4 a chance...
Melee probably shouldn't "just take a break" from EVO. We should figure out why one should get the MAIN STAGE over the other, if it comes down to choosing. As far as I can tell, though, it will be (almost) impossible for both games to make it onto the main stage simply because the nature of Smash in general. It is time consuming (you know...comparatively), and it would be really difficult to schedule with the powerhouse fighting games like Marvel and Street Fighter which took less time than Melee and had more entrants than Melee if we ADD a Smash game to the main stage.

Possibly the best use of our time is not to determine which we think should be on the main stage (because I would choose Melee; yes I'm biased; no, I'm not sorry), but why each game deserves to be on the main stage. Some of my reasons (for and against) each are:

Pros for Melee:
Already been to EVO with known success
The controller will be more accessible due to Smash 4's release
It is a Smash game

Cons for Melee:
The game itself is a bit inaccessible due to its age
It is unrealistic to have it and Smash 4 on the main stage
CRT

Pros for Smash 4:
Having Melee come before it makes it almost a guarantee if we want it over Melee
Everything about it is more accessible
Probably will be better supported by Nintendo than Melee (speculation)
More new players will be able to sign up without being up to 14 years behind (again, speculation)

Cons for Smash 4:
The game will be very young, making for less crisp play than Melee in the Top 8
There is no guarantee it will get the entrants that Melee has shown to get
Non-standardized rules for things like character equipment (and other really cool customizable things that Smash 4 brought to the table)

Most of the Smash 4 pros and cons are speculation (even though it looks to be the "better" choice on paper, in my opinion). I would LOVE to see Melee at EVO, don't get me wrong, but regardless of which games make it, there are many many side tournaments that could happen, along with friendlies.

Other thoughts on this entire debate: When Melee returned to EVO in 2014 after 2013 success, where was the outburst from Brawl players wanting to get back (maybe I just wasn't frequent at that time because school). What really needs to happen is, rather than a poll striking these sort of debates, it needs to be the community showing interest and rising to try to make it happen, as Melee did with making it back to MLG. I may be a Melee player, but I love Smash. The more of it I see at EVO, the better I think it will be, because no offense FGC, Smash is the better series (as much as I love watching the rest of EVO).

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
I want to see both games at EVO, Melee and Smash 4 are both great games and great spectator sports.

Batousai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davis1228
3DS FC
0533-5267-7408
Melee probably shouldn't "just take a break" from EVO. We should figure out why one should get the MAIN STAGE over the other, if it comes down to choosing. As far as I can tell, though, it will be (almost) impossible for both games to make it onto the main stage simply because the nature of Smash in general. It is time consuming (you know...comparatively), and it would be really difficult to schedule with the powerhouse fighting games like Marvel and Street Fighter which took less time than Melee and had more entrants than Melee if we ADD a Smash game to the main stage.

Possibly the best use of our time is not to determine which we think should be on the main stage (because I would choose Melee; yes I'm biased; no, I'm not sorry), but why each game deserves to be on the main stage. Some of my reasons (for and against) each are:

Pros for Melee:
Already been to EVO with known success
The controller will be more accessible due to Smash 4's release
It is a Smash game

Cons for Melee:
The game itself is a bit inaccessible due to its age
It is unrealistic to have it and Smash 4 on the main stage
CRT

Pros for Smash 4:
Having Melee come before it makes it almost a guarantee if we want it over Melee
Everything about it is more accessible
Probably will be better supported by Nintendo than Melee (speculation)
More new players will be able to sign up without being up to 14 years behind (again, speculation)

Cons for Smash 4:
The game will be very young, making for less crisp play than Melee in the Top 8
There is no guarantee it will get the entrants that Melee has shown to get
Non-standardized rules for things like character equipment (and other really cool customizable things that Smash 4 brought to the table)

Most of the Smash 4 pros and cons are speculation (even though it looks to be the "better" choice on paper, in my opinion). I would LOVE to see Melee at EVO, don't get me wrong, but regardless of which games make it, there are many many side tournaments that could happen, along with friendlies.

Other thoughts on this entire debate: When Melee returned to EVO in 2014 after 2013 success, where was the outburst from Brawl players wanting to get back (maybe I just wasn't frequent at that time because school). What really needs to happen is, rather than a poll striking these sort of debates, it needs to be the community showing interest and rising to try to make it happen, as Melee did with making it back to MLG. I may be a Melee player, but I love Smash. The more of it I see at EVO, the better I think it will be, because no offense FGC, Smash is the better series (as much as I love watching the rest of EVO).
This guy gets it. A nice, logical approach, despite self-admitted bias. (At least he owns it.)

Judgment shouldn't be passed on a young game, after all Melee was a young game too, 14 years ago. Melee, although a great game, is limited by its age. This outdatedness just becomes more evident as time goes on, and more of a potential issue/deal breaker as technology advances while Melee remains on CRTs..

In any case, we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
This guy gets it. A nice, logical approach, despite self-admitted bias. (At least he owns it.)

Judgment shouldn't be passed on a young game, after all Melee was a young game too, 14 years ago. Melee, although a great game, is limited by its age. This outdatedness just becomes more evident as time goes on, and more of a potential issue/deal breaker as technology advances while Melee remains on CRTs..

In any case, we'll just have to wait and see.
I'm not sure it's necessarily limited by its age. After all, they still have Street Fighter 2 side-tournaments at EVO. Not to mention many Melee players are not opposed to bringing setups (as far as I know), and have CRTs would allow for more side tournaments at EVO that could draw in more people.

The game is also still getting more technical discoveries, though they are less game-breaking than before. Either way, I am not adverse to having Smash 4. Maybe it will have its own wavedashing or glide tossing. Maybe it will highlight the ground game more than aerials, which has seemed to be the dominant choice for all characters in previous games.

Either way, I have no idea which game would be better for the main stage. I just voted for both. This year's attendance and Mr. Wizard will decide which game(s) make it to the main stage in the future if our choice, as a community, happens to be Smash 4. If our choice is Melee, that is fine. Make a Smash 4 side tournament that rivals attendance for some of the main stage games and come in next year after the metagame evolves and more advanced techs are discovered.

Let's just have a fun EVO guys. That's why I play Smash in the first place. Who knows? I might enter in Smash 4 if it makes it, just for the support. I have no problem losing (it's what I'd probably do in Melee anyways). And if Melee is in, I'll definitely play!

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Even though Smash4's tons of fun to watch and play, looks like the Melee community can't let go of their pride, some people even saying that 4 needs to 'earn' the spot.

It's sad to think that we'll go another bunch of years looking at a rusty, unbalanced mess of a game being played on fat, tiny, underwhelming TV rather than the amazingness that is Smash 4.

I just really hope Nintendo pushes for Smash 4 and no Melee, I don't want it cannibalizing the appeal of the better game because some people surprisingly still find it exciting.
Stop trying to start flame wars. Posts like this aren't constructive and create useless arguments.

Melee vs. Smash 4 posts are not welcome here, by you or by anyone.

Top Bottom