• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Featured In EVO 2015 Trailer

What game do you want in EVO 2015?

• Melee!

Votes: 247 34.0%
  • Smash 4!

Votes: 103 14.2%
  • Both!

Votes: 377 51.9%

• Total voters

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Warning Received
Even though Smash4's tons of fun to watch and play, looks like the Melee community can't let go of their pride, some people even saying that 4 needs to 'earn' the spot.

It's sad to think that we'll go another bunch of years looking at a rusty, unbalanced mess of a game being played on fat, tiny, underwhelming TV rather than the amazingness that is Smash 4.

I just really hope Nintendo pushes for Smash 4 and no Melee, I don't want it cannibalizing the appeal of the better game because some people surprisingly still find it exciting.

Greninja'd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Asianbanana
3DS FC
0645-5951-1667
I prefer if we have both. I'm excited to see what Smash 4 can do.

Votega

Smash Rookie
NNID
Votega
Nice to see we didn't learn anything after the Melee vs. Brawl civil war that tore the community in two. We should support both/whichever makes the cut into EVO, rather than once again ruining the scene's chances of becoming something big. Let's not let everyone's hard work go to waste. Stop insulting each other, we're supposed to be a family :'l

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
I think they should not Have smash 4 at Evo 2015, and just Have melee. Smash 4 has an underdeveloped metagame as of now. Have you seen those "Day One" Wii U tournaments? they sound awful

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Even though Smash4's tons of fun to watch and play, looks like the Melee community can't let go of their pride, some people even saying that 4 needs to 'earn' the spot.

It's sad to think that we'll go another bunch of years looking at a rusty, unbalanced mess of a game being played on fat, tiny, underwhelming TV rather than the amazingness that is Smash 4.

I just really hope Nintendo pushes for Smash 4 and no Melee, I don't want it cannibalizing the appeal of the better game because some people surprisingly still find it exciting.
1. You're enforcing your opinion.
2. Every smash game can't be balanced, even smash 4, because Nintendo doesn't know **** on how to play competitively

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
Melee would probably be more fun to watch because, well, it's Melee. Still, Smash 4 is new and I'd like to see it be played competitively. I'd hate to see it rejected just because "it isn't Melee."

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
I personally find melee boring, but eh a lot of others like it, i'm liking smash 4 and hope it will get a chance. It's my opinion that the majority of the community will/has already given up on it for not being the broken game melee is but i didnt expect anything different

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
I personally find melee boring, but eh a lot of others like it, i'm liking smash 4 and hope it will get a chance. It's my opinion that the majority of the community will/has already given up on it for not being the broken game melee is but i didnt expect anything different
How is melee broken? lemme guess, "fox and falco"

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I predict both. Melee because EVO will want it because of it's success last year and Sm4sh because Nintendo will want it (and if Nintendo is a sponsor again, they will get their way).

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399

Yes, we're totally these prideful monsters for having an opinion. So sorry that our opinion doesn't cater to yours.

But really, the hostility is unnecessary just because Melee has more votes. There's no need to throw a fit and start insulting people who prefer Melee.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, although I am FAR better at Smash 4 than I am at Melee, I would much rather Melee get in if one is to get in over the other.

I would like both to be in, and I think that would be pretty hype.
And honestly it is because Melee is just faster paced, and the competition is really high calibur in Melee. It is really exciting to watch, and it is the reason I had decided to start playing competitively in the first place. (Although, I am not very good at Melee). xD

As for Smash 4, I hope it gets in, but as much as Smash as a whole is a community, Melee earned its spot at EVO. The players of Melee weren't trying to earn a spot for Smash, they went to earn a spot for Melee, and I feel like it is unfair to put the entirety of the Smash community on their shoulders and take away what they earned.
I still want both in, but I just really think the argument that the community made it in, not just Melee is kind of a bad argument, and I don't think it should divide the community.

I love Smash 4 so far, and I think it is a great game, but I think the people who have dedicated themselves to playing and growing the Melee scene for years have really earned their place at EVO, and to deny them that spot would be unfair.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Yes, we're totally these prideful monsters for having an opinion. So sorry that our opinion doesn't cater to yours.

But really, the hostility is unnecessary just because Melee has more votes. There's no need to throw a fit and start insulting people who prefer Melee.
Yeah, we really don't need a repeat of "Melee vs" debates again. It's like people forcing what happen previously to occur once more. Have people learned nothing of the past or their single-minded behavior is just too diffcult to remember nor consider?

Anyways, both would work if it comes out well. Melee brings in the older crowd while helping out Smash Bros 4's growth with both newer and older crowd.

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
Brawl for EVO!!!:troll:

But seriously Sm4sh shouldn't be in this year. I'm not saying it shouldn't be in in later years, but the metagame is so undeveloped to the point that there isn't even a good ruleset yet. People are finding new stuff out every day, and while EVO would be huge for publicity, I feel like it would really be more of a publicity stunt rather than a game that's in for, well, the game itself. Melee has been established. It has a developed metagame. If Melee is in again I feel like the entire franchise will be cemented in EVO, and when Sm4sh's metagame starts to develop, we can start to zone out Melee at EVO if the community so chooses. Sm4sh just isn't ready yet.

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
Melee is more entertaining to watch than smash4, and since this is a big show I vote for melee only until I'm shown some hype smash4 matches

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Yeah, we really don't need a repeat of "Melee vs" debates again. It's like people forcing what happen previously to occur once more. Have people learned nothing of the past or their single-minded behavior is just too diffcult to remember nor consider?

Anyways, both would work if it comes out well. Melee brings in the older crowd while helping out Smash Bros 4's growth with both newer and older crowd.
It's ridiculous. I don't see why people here just can't understand that there are differing opinions and just move on. There is no need to bring so much hostility over it.

I mean, I play Smash 4 too and it's pretty fun but I prefer Melee, which is just personal preference. Sometimes I question why I joined SmashBoards when all I see is people insulting and degrading others for preferring a certain installment of the series. Like come on, grow up.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
If it's smash4 over melee then I no longer care about EVO. Both would be weird... and would kind of point out why melee deserves the spot more... but it could be cool assuming the meta hasn't devolved into rolling around and sitting in shield. Also, whoever thinks custom movesets are in, that aint gonna happen as I'm pretty sure the TO's would blow their brains out having to deal with that, if they actually do pull off custom movesets though (miracle) then shut me up I'm grabbing popcorn and seeing how this goes down.

Last edited:

Regi_King

Smash Rookie
NNID
RegiShikimi
Smash 4 meta will evolve enough in the next months with the release of the Wii U version, so it will have enough reasons to be at EVO 2015. Of course, Melee should be in it too, both are really good games to be at EVO. That and Nintendo with Smash 4 at EVO will for sure be a sponsor too.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
I think 6 months is plenty of time for the Smash 4 metagame to develop and build hype.

QWA

Smash Apprentice

Well, this is the largest annual fighting game tournament, which is supposed to show exciting, competitive fighting games. The Smash series is weird, because while it is a fighting game series, it's not directed towards a competitive audience like the rest of the series featured at EVO are. Melee has thus far proven to be the most worthy of the Smash series to have the privilege of being featured at this event. Remember, this isn't a stage to showcase the latest Smash game, it's a stage to showcase competitive fighting games.

It's also worth noting the diversity of characters in the top 8 of both EVO 2013 and EVO 2014 (Doctor Mario and Pikachu, anyone?). So while Melee isn't perfectly balanced, it at least has good representation in the top 8.

I would write more, but I've got more important things to do than argue on the internet. Have a nice day.

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
Both? Wha? ..I feel like we should wait a few months after the Wii U version is released before jumping the gun and putting it in EVO... Maybe even give it a year to let it get a few patches/re-balances..

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Honestly, although I am FAR better at Smash 4 than I am at Melee, I would much rather Melee get in if one is to get in over the other.

I would like both to be in, and I think that would be pretty hype.
And honestly it is because Melee is just faster paced, and the competition is really high calibur in Melee. It is really exciting to watch, and it is the reason I had decided to start playing competitively in the first place. (Although, I am not very good at Melee). xD

As for Smash 4, I hope it gets in, but as much as Smash as a whole is a community, Melee earned its spot at EVO. The players of Melee weren't trying to earn a spot for Smash, they went to earn a spot for Melee, and I feel like it is unfair to put the entirety of the Smash community on their shoulders and take away what they earned.
I still want both in, but I just really think the argument that the community made it in, not just Melee is kind of a bad argument, and I don't think it should divide the community.

I love Smash 4 so far, and I think it is a great game, but I think the people who have dedicated themselves to playing and growing the Melee scene for years have really earned their place at EVO, and to deny them that spot would be unfair.
Supporting Melee over Smash Brothers as a whole is exactly the problem with the Melee community.
Well, this is the largest annual fighting game tournament, which is supposed to show exciting, competitive fighting games. The Smash series is weird, because while it is a fighting game series, it's not directed towards a competitive audience like the rest of the series featured at EVO are. Melee has thus far proven to be the most worthy of the Smash series to have the privilege of being featured at this event. Remember, this isn't a stage to showcase the latest Smash game, it's a stage to showcase competitive fighting games.

It's also worth noting the diversity of characters in the top 8 of both EVO 2013 and EVO 2014 (Doctor Mario and Pikachu, anyone?). So while Melee isn't perfectly balanced, it at least has good representation in the top 8.

I would write more, but I've got more important things to do than argue on the internet. Have a nice day.
What kind of divine eye allows you to say that Smash4 isn't a competitive fighting game? Especially being the first of the series to actually be developed with the competitive side in mind...

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Melee. Melee is objectively the better competitive game and has worked hard to earn it's spot. Smash 4 is young and we don't want another Brawl disaster at EVO. So yeah Melee only.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
Well, this is the largest annual fighting game tournament, which is supposed to show exciting, competitive fighting games.
Exciting to you maybe, not everyone likes watching Melee. I'd rather watch a long fought match than see someone get gimped at 40% a few times and it's over.

I'm torn between wanting both featured, so everyone wins or skipping Smash4 for now to let it develop more. At the same time I'd be interested to see what people can do with the game at this time at a huge tournament.

Based on my posts in general it may seem that I'm against Melee and it's supporters when in fact I respect their love for the game, but I just cannot stand the people that refuse to give this game a chance because it's not Melee v2 or because it seems to be more like Brawl than Melee.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I was going to make a remark about how there's a lack of stupidness in this thread and I got lost on my way to Smashboards.

Then I got to page 2.
This is clearly Smashboards.

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
I think 6 months is plenty of time for the Smash 4 metagame to develop and build hype.
Because Melee's meta game took 6 months to develop.
Because Brawl's meta game took 6 months to develop.
Because PM's meta game took 6 months to develop.

What basis are you saying 6 months is enough? I could be horribly wrong but looking at history, 6 months is nowhere near enough time.

What kind of divine eye allows you to say that Smash4 isn't a competitive fighting game? Especially being the first of the series to actually be developed with the competitive side in mind...
Being built with competitive mind =/= Being good for competitive play

Not saying Sm4sh isn't a competitively viable game but from what I've seen so far, I'm not impressed. And trust me, I'm on CT's stream almost daily. I think giving the game more time will be better and then we can have both games at EVO, but to kick Melee off just because Sm4sh is the newest game is unfair to the melee community who worked so hard to get melee at EVO. Like someone said in this thread, they worked hard to get melee at EVO, not Smash in general. Say what you want, but they were the ones who put the effort to get the game they believed in on the big stage. We're (talking about myself here too because I don't play Melee, I play PM) basically just leeching off them. And don't give me the BS argument of “one community" when you're fine with kicking one game off for another. That's hypocrisy at its finest.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Melee. Melee is objectively the better competitive game and has worked hard to earn it's spot. Smash 4 is young and we don't want another Brawl disaster at EVO. So yeah Melee only.
Oh god you guys are hilarious.
Because Melee's meta game took 6 months to develop.
Because Brawl's meta game took 6 months to develop.
Because PM's meta game took 6 months to develop.

What basis are you saying 6 months is enough? I could be horribly wrong but looking at history, 6 months is nowhere near enough time.

Being built with competitive mind =/= Being good for competitive play

Not saying Sm4sh isn't a competitively viable game but from what I've seen so far, I'm not impressed. And trust me, I'm on CT's stream almost daily. I think giving the game more time will be better and then we can have both games at EVO, but to kick Melee off just because Sm4sh is the newest game is unfair to the melee community who worked so hard to get melee at EVO. Like someone said in this thread, they worked hard to get melee at EVO, not Smash in general. Say what you want, but they were the ones who put the effort to get the game they believed in on the big stage. We're (talking about myself here too because I don't play Melee, I play PM) basically just leeching off them. And don't give me the BS argument of “one community" when you're fine with kicking one game off for another. That's hypocrisy at its finest.
I'm on the CT stream daily, and all I see are exciting matches, and without a single ounce of sliding around awkwardly and cheaply edgehogging at 15%.

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
I'm on the CT stream daily, and all I see are exciting matches, and without a single ounce of sliding around awkwardly and cheaply edgehogging at 15%.
I'm sure you are buddy.

You know the bolded statement is complete BS.

The game has very few combos in its current state for me to enjoy watching.... Not saying I don't enjoy watching it, I just don't enjoy it as much as PM and Melee. And why are you so bashful of Melee lol? Sound super defensive for no reason whatsoever.

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
I have an amazing idea. How about both games come to EVO. To decide which one is on the main stage and which one is a side event, we should toss a coin 10 times at random since we will never come to an agreement.

Having both games at EVO (whether Melee is a side tourney and Smash 4 is the main game or vice versa) would be a smart option. Melee brings in the old generation of Smashers and some of the new generation of Smashers and Smash 4 brings in some old generation smashers (Mostly Brawl players) and many new gen. Smashers. It also is smart from a business point if we can get 1,400+ enterants for both games combine. If we get around that ballpark, that means more $$$ which is important from a TO director's standpoint.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'm sure you are buddy.

You know the bolded statement is complete BS.

The game has very few combos in its current state for me to enjoy watching.... Not saying I don't enjoy watching it, I just don't enjoy it as much as PM and Melee. And why are you so bashful of Melee lol? Sound super defensive for no reason whatsoever.
So a completely personal and subjective opinion is BS? Not everyone likes a broken mess, you know.

Highlighted these for you, you might not find Smash4 exciting because all you want is combos, but some people do find the game very exciting and fun, not to mention accessible.

Last edited:

SuperSalamence

Smash Cadet
NNID
T-Flex
3DS FC
5455-9990-9310
I dont think so. Some of the good PM players were at the invitational, invited by nintendo specifically. Heck at the invitational they knew of PM and said they didn't care about it one or the other.
Source for that last part?

Top Bottom