• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Featured In EVO 2015 Trailer

What game do you want in EVO 2015?

• Melee!

Votes: 247 34.0%
  • Smash 4!

Votes: 103 14.2%
  • Both!

Votes: 377 51.9%

• Total voters

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
This evening during UltraChen TV, the EVO 2015 initial trailer was revealed. It notably included clips from Smash Bros. Melee. This could indicate that Melee will be back this year, or it could mean absolutely nothing and is just a recap of last year's competition. Either way, it is sure to light some controversy until EVO's official lineup is announced. Mr. Wizard, the host of the Evolution series, has asked the community what game they'd like to see in next year's tournament, and debate has been fierce. Perhaps the reaction to this trailer will be taken into account as well?

EVO 2015 Trailer
Do you want to see Melee at EVO? Smash 4? Both? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

This is an interesting development... or nothing. But it's something! Follow The Derrit on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
First! Also, smash 4 for EVO!

EDIT: Dangit! Didn't get first again! Anyway, I don't know why people were so happy to see one teny tiny clip of Melee (like 2-3 seconds). That big of a deal?

Last edited:

Dust the Baptist

Weeaboos aren't people.
NNID
Mank210
3DS FC
2809-9541-0380
Smash 4 will be at EVO, we just need the Smash 4 community to support it enough to get there but I think It's possible.

juddy96

Smash Lord
Yeah, this doesn't mean anything. It was just a highlight video of EVO 2014. Not worth an article.

SonicXD81/LPer Unown

Smash Rookie
Having Melee at EVO 2015 would be hype, but having Smash 4 at EVO will help it's metagame develop. Having BOTH Melee and Smash 4 will be amazing and brilliant, as we will see Pros preforming stellar matches for Melee but will turn tables when we see those players in Smash 4. All that I ask for is no items for Smash 4's Competitive Scene, and probably no Equipment attached to characters (Remember Brawl EVO 2008?).

D

Deleted member

With custom moveset and a lot of character diversity I really hope smash 4 gets in evo.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
I think Smash4 is a shoo in a Evo. so we need to support Melee so that Melee could be in too.

1.) Smash 4 is new
2.) Nintendo will back Smash4
3.) MrEvilWizard himself tweeted that it's a logistics nightmare for a big tourney like Evo to host Melee

Voted for Both!

For those who voted for just either Melee or Smash4 only. Can you share your stand why?

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Yeah, this doesn't mean anything. It was just a highlight video of EVO 2014. Not worth an article.
well it features a smash game at a major tournament and doesn't go out of its way to take melee out of the trailer so people will want to see it i.e. it is worth an article

but thanks for your input #kappa

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
I think Smash4 is a shoo in a Evo. so we need to support Melee so that Melee could be in too.

1.) Smash 4 is new
2.) Nintendo will back Smash4
3.) MrEvilWizard himself tweeted that it's a logistics nightmare for a big tourney like Evo to host Melee

Voted for Both!

For those who voted for just either Melee or Smash4 only. Can you share your stand why?
I voted for just Smash 4. In my opinion with Smash 4 being brand new it'll be much easier to get Nintendo on board for sponsorship for the new title. Especially since the Wii U version will be out with all its GCN additions. Not to mention we can use modern means for the tournament vs CRTs and the like. Plus Smash 4 is still very new so it could get a lot of people out of the woods and on board with hype for the new title.

Melee is popular and well loved in the community but I think the new game is the way to go. that or being able to work both in.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Brawl was given a chance at EVO before so I think that Smash 4 should have a chance as well
There are plenty of other ways to test smash 4's competitive value that don't entail risking the progress we've made the past couple years. They'll be plenty of other tournaments for smash 4. There's a lot at risk so we should absolutely be putting our best foot forward.
10 more years~
hail satan

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
I wanna see both but if I had to choose it would be Smash 4.

I wanna see Smash 4 at its full potential (well at this time), ill be pretty sad if they dont even get that chance.

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Having both would be cool, but if only one was possible, I'd prefer Melee to be at Evo because it is so fast-paced and very fun to watch. Just my personal preference.

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I think having both would be great, but I'd be fine with just Smash 4. Im enjoying the game to the fullest on 3DS and i find it enjoyable to watch on streams and on youtube.

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
This is from Reddit awhile back and I think it should be posted here. It has a bunch of good pointers worth noting. Rather you are for Melee or Smash 4 or both read this. Let's not split the community and just enjoy the game(s) we love.

phoenixwang:
I feel like honestly a lot of people were afraid of saying it because they felt they "owed" melee's resurgence to evo. It's pretty obvious based on Mr. Wizard's responses he has a clear bias for smash4, such as when people gave cogent responses and sources for data on attendance overlap, and why melee deserved a spot over smash four with responses like "oh but the logistics", and "that's not really an unbiased view" without even addressing the points that people made.

I personally want to melee to return, but it makes sense that with the pressure from nintendo and the money/new players from the new game would be an insane incentive for evo to take smash 4 instead of melee. I'm not going to deny straightforward logic, but I do think its pretty ****ing stupid to make people vote on melee vs smash 4 when clearly:

1.) smash 4 hasn't even come out yet

2.) Mr. wizard has shown a strong bias towards smash 4

3.) the choice for both games isn't given

So it's pretty ****ing obvious that Mr. Wizard wants to "justify" pushing melee out of the roster without taking on responsibility for it. Its fine to choose smash 4, evo isn't run by us, but to put all this bull**** on our community and ACTIVELY encourage ****-talking between smash 4 and melee players is ABSOLUTELY bull**** and he deserves to be called out on his bull****.

THE WORST PART WAS I ALMOST DIDN'T REALIZE IT. I was already starting to hate on smash 4 when there's absolutely no reason to hate on it, it's mr. wizard setting up this situation thats causing all the tension. If he was going to choose smash 4 that's fine, but to make the community turn on itself is truly vile.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Decided to check out the front page for once. Looks like it continues to be bad. Someone needs to get fired.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
It's not that I'm anti-Smash 4, I just want Melee in more
The best case scenario would be both but if it came down to one or the other I'd personally push for Melee

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
This is from Reddit awhile back and I think it should be posted here. It has a bunch of good pointers worth noting. Rather you are for Melee or Smash 4 or both read this. Let's not split the community and just enjoy the game(s) we love.

phoenixwang:
I agree with you.
But I can't straight up agree with phoenixwang.

On the other side of the coin. Wizard asked for a vote, really to "justify" kicking Smash4 out of Evo.

Because Evo, almost always include the new game in the line up.

With Melee winning the vote, he can then "justify" breaking that pattern of getting the new game in, and cutting out the old one.

Two different points of view there.

Even if he is biased towards Smash4, he doesn't even have to ask for a vote. He can just kick Melee out straight up, on the grounds that Smash4 is the new game,and Melee is old. But he didn't.

D

Deleted member 245254

Probably for the same reason you would have been happy to see one teeny tiny clip of Smash 4 in the trailer?
This is a pretty inaccurate comparison, reason being is that Smash 4 has never *been* at EVO hence there are no clips that they could have in a video meant to highlight the fun of being at EVO, from EVO.

This is also the exact reason that I believe the existence of the clip in and of itself (opinions on Smash 4s involvement aside) mean basically nothing, since it's likely highlighting EVO itself rather than the games that will be there. Obviously Melee has a good shot of being there, but this video is not whats cementing it.

Swampy948

Smash Cadet
I dont think so. Some of the good PM players were at the invitational, invited by nintendo specifically. Heck at the invitational they knew of PM and said they didn't care about it one or the other.
I'm sure they do care. Every time I even hint PM in Nintendo's forums or Miiverse, they instantly remove it for 'criminal activity'

Top Bottom