• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Featured In EVO 2015 Trailer

What game do you want in EVO 2015?

• Melee!

Votes: 247 34.0%
  • Smash 4!

Votes: 103 14.2%
  • Both!

Votes: 377 51.9%

• Total voters

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Would Nintendo only take action if MLG streamed PM or did they just not know that PM was there.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I dont think so. Some of the good PM players were at the invitational, invited by nintendo specifically. Heck at the invitational they knew of PM and said they didn't care about it one or the other.
How do you know they knew about PM and said anything about it at all?

Ike Tyson

Smash Rookie
Just read all 5 pages and see why I left smashboards 5years ago. I mean can we just have both? Why do we have to be a Melee Community, Brawl Community, or Smash 4 Community can we just be a SMASH community? A gaming community being divide because of which game gets the Main stage at EVO is silly.

I don't like pointing fingers but a lot of hatred towards new SSB titles are from Melee players. Yes I think Melee was better than Brawl but, does mean Melee will always be better than future installments? No. Should we bash and dismiss fellow Smashers who prefer Brawl over Melee? Absolutely not.

The arguments I hear from Melee players on why Melee > Sm4sh should be at EVO are just downright ignorant.

1. Why are people with SmashBoards join dates from a month to a year are voicing their opinions about who takes the Main stage at EVO?

This is the most ignorant statement and proves why the community is split. For instance I just made a new Smashboards account about a month because I left the Smash scene from the hate that Brawl received from the community also, my old email had got hack. Besides the point even if I were new to Smashboards you don't know my history of the game I could just being use SmashBoards as a platform to get Tourney info, tips on a character, view current tier list, and etc. Let's not exempt our fellow Smashers.

2. We the Melee Community worked so hard get Melee on the Main stage at EVO?

Yet another statement dividing the Smash community. Why can't it be we helped a Smash title get back at EVO? We the Smash Community help get it back on the Main stage. Even as I was absent from the scene I still donated to have a Melee at EVO I didn't care what game it was I was going to donate for Smash. SSB has been getting heckled for years for not being a competitive fighting game from fans of Tekken, Street Fighter, MVC, DOA, MK, and etc. Now tell me why we as fellow SMASHERS are repeating history and mocking Brawl/Sm4sh as not being "competitive". I'm a fan of the series. Melee had more steam going forward because Top Players bashed Brawl to oblivion. It needs to end

3. 6 months is not enough time for the meta game to unfold?

Seriously? If that's the only reason why you want to keep Smash 4 out of EVO I'm ashamed. You really think Veteran Smashers are just going to lay an egg at EVO already having 6 months with the game. It seems like Melee Smashers want every AT figured out before Smash 4 takes the floor at EVO. If people are still upset about 2008 get over it because items won't happen again. They added 1v1 For Glory for crying out loud making an attempt to appeal to the competitive scene. The Smash Community has smart TOs that can figure out a rule set in 6 months C'mon.

4. Nintendo is trying a PR move and Capitalize on everything we worked hard for Melee.

Wow. First people were upset with the lack of Nintendo's involvement now when Nintendo wants to get involved its a problem. -_-

5. Smash 4 is not competitive and it's just Brawl 2.0

It's rather silly as the game hasn't even hit the Wii U yet. We don't know how DACUS will play out or C-Stick will play out. Besides that Sakurai is a freelance Director meaning every Smash was develop at different a studio making every game different. Adapt, Learn, and Conquer.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I'd prefer Project M if it were possible, the game brawl should've been imo. I'd be cool with having both games, but I would prefer Melee if I could only have 1. I suck at Melee and play better in Sm4sh, but i can't deny that it's still VERY fun to watch in comparison,

IFC Jigglypuff

Smash Cadet
it doesn't really matter to me, i just like seeing smash represented at a huge fighting game tournament like evo. really would like to see both though. :love:

IFC Jigglypuff

Smash Cadet
Just read all 5 pages and see why I left smashboards 5years ago. I mean can we just have both? Why do we have to be a Melee Community, Brawl Community, or Smash 4 Community can we just be a SMASH community? A gaming community being divide because of which game gets the Main stage at EVO is silly.

I don't like pointing fingers but a lot of hatred towards new SSB titles are from Melee players. Yes I think Melee was better than Brawl but, does mean Melee will always be better than future installments? No. Should we bash and dismiss fellow Smashers who prefer Brawl over Melee? Absolutely not.

The arguments I hear from Melee players on why Melee > Sm4sh should be at EVO are just downright ignorant.

1. Why are people with SmashBoards join dates from a month to a year are voicing their opinions about who takes the Main stage at EVO?

This is the most ignorant statement and proves why the community is split. For instance I just made a new Smashboards account about a month because I left the Smash scene from the hate that Brawl received from the community also, my old email had got hack. Besides the point even if I were new to Smashboards you don't know my history of the game I could just being use SmashBoards as a platform to get Tourney info, tips on a character, view current tier list, and etc. Let's not exempt our fellow Smashers.

2. We the Melee Community worked so hard get Melee on the Main stage at EVO?

Yet another statement dividing the Smash community. Why can't it be we helped a Smash title get back at EVO? We the Smash Community help get it back on the Main stage. Even as I was absent from the scene I still donated to have a Melee at EVO I didn't care what game it was I was going to donate for Smash. SSB has been getting heckled for years for not being a competitive fighting game from fans of Tekken, Street Fighter, MVC, DOA, MK, and etc. Now tell me why we as fellow SMASHERS are repeating history and mocking Brawl/Sm4sh as not being "competitive". I'm a fan of the series. Melee had more steam going forward because Top Players bashed Brawl to oblivion. It needs to end

3. 6 months is not enough time for the meta game to unfold?

Seriously? If that's the only reason why you want to keep Smash 4 out of EVO I'm ashamed. You really think Veteran Smashers are just going to lay an egg at EVO already having 6 months with the game. It seems like Melee Smashers want every AT figured out before Smash 4 takes the floor at EVO. If people are still upset about 2008 get over it because items won't happen again. They added 1v1 For Glory for crying out loud making an attempt to appeal to the competitive scene. The Smash Community has smart TOs that can figure out a rule set in 6 months C'mon.

4. Nintendo is trying a PR move and Capitalize on everything we worked hard for Melee.

Wow. First people were upset with the lack of Nintendo's involvement now when Nintendo wants to get involved its a problem. -_-

5. Smash 4 is not competitive and it's just Brawl 2.0

It's rather silly as the game hasn't even hit the Wii U yet. We don't know how DACUS will play out or C-Stick will play out. Besides that Sakurai is a freelance Director meaning every Smash was develop at different a studio making every game different. Adapt, Learn, and Conquer.
I read your comment & it made me read every single other comment & just wow.. I don't understand why their is so much hate towards a game you don't like/don't play. melee is my main game & my favorite. but I can totally understand why people may not like it or have another game as their preferred game. why all the hate ? why can't people respect that others would like to see smash 4 at evo ? just totally blows my mind how people can't respect other peoples opinions.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
This Melee vs. Smash 4 vs. both argument is just getting silly, they're not convincing anyone as it's all just opinions...

Son Rolo

Smash Rookie
I don't understand why their is so much hate towards a game you don't like/don't play.
I could explain it to you, but it would be a long post.

Short version:
We like a game and they like another. If their game gets enough support ours is taken away (there's no such thing as "both"). [/end of short version]

Long version:
Let's take "we" above as people who prefer Melee and "they" as people who prefer Smash4.
Their only proven reasons for wanting Smash4 in are that it is new, has nice graphics, more official Nintendo support, and is overall more "hype" right now.
None of those reasons have to do with its quality as a competitive game, instead they're the same superficial reasons that got Brawl in before, causing a disaster that got smash as a whole kicked out of EVO for 4 years or so.

So not only would they take our game away from its biggest tournament, for the wrong reasons, but they would also gladly risk having all of Smash kicked again... and I think that justifies getting moderately pissed off about. [/end of long version]

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
Smash 4!

I'd prefer Smash 4, maybe just because I'm of the newer generation of Smashers and I started with Brawl, but I do prefer Project M.

I myself would just like to see Smash 4, just for the sake of experimentation, but I'm 100% okay with Melee too, so that's why I voted both :D

marco-polo

Smash Rookie
Can we all just stick together and support the smash game that get chosen and not argue with each other.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Project M won't be there, heck don't you even get banned for mentioning "PM" on Miiverse? It would be cool if it was at EVO, but with Nintendo involved it isn't happening.

Anyway, I'd rather have Melee and 4, and the odds of getting both don't look impossible because of the strong support of Melee plus Smash 4 being new as well as the series overall being popular so perhaps they'll allow it. I don't know.

Batousai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davis1228
3DS FC
0533-5267-7408
Can we all just stick together and support the smash game that get chosen and not argue with each other.
I can answer that for you, based on mere observation: No.

If only Sm4sh got in the majority of the Melee community would never let the internet, as a whole, hear the end of it.

If only Melee got in, high level Sm4sh players (the pioneers of the metagame) would be bored watching it, and there would probably be people playing Sm4sh 3ds in the very audience or, like I'm my case, playing Sm4sh Wii U at home instead of even watching.

Don't get me wrong, I love every Smash game and I'd be glad if any got into EVO again. But every time I try to watch competitive Melee I get bored. I'm tired of seeing the same 5-ish characters in the top 8. Whereas, in Sm4sh, the tiers are always shifting. You never know who is gonna make top 8, and the character balance helps make that possible. Not to mention, custom specials would mix the tiers up even more.

In short: If only one gets in, the other side will be unhappy and arguments will happen. But, if the past is any indication, the Melee side would make a big uproar about not getting in and even get mad at the person who created their crown jewel. The Sm4sh side, not so much since the game is new and will have more opportunity, courtesy of Nintendo pushing for their newest iteration, as any company would.

Last edited:

palkia19

Smash Rookie
NNID
KingArc92
Smash 4. Melee got like five characters that are constantly used. Let it die already.

Batousai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davis1228
3DS FC
0533-5267-7408
Character balance/variance =/= worth as a competitive game
Instead of just stating this, please try to give irrefutable supporting evidence, like I'm about to do. Logic really aids the credibility of your words.

No, balance doesn't automatically make a game competitive, but balance IS one of the most important aspects of a competitive game. Without balance, centralization occurs and it becomes necessary to use a particular set of techniques or characters to win. That's a poor state for a competitive game or sport. A game without balance doesn't deserve to be called competitive.

If you look at ANY competitive sport, all teams play by the same rules, but they don't all have to use the exact same playbook, much less the exact same team roster (although that second one is impossible IRL). As long as it stays within the parameters of the rules, a measure of variety is NECESSARY to keep a competitive sport/game viable, interesting, alive, and most importantly fair.

The fact is, Sm4sh has more character variety and balance than any Smash before it. This is an area that contributes to it's competitive potential. Sm4sh can be a great competitive game, in its own right. The players just have to make it happen.

Logic. It's what makes the world go 'round.

p.s. Melee is still a good competitive game, but it's pointless to compare ANY two Smash games. This post is ONLY about Sm4sh, so let's please not go there.

Last edited:

Son Rolo

Smash Rookie
No, balance doesn't automatically make a game competitive, but balance IS one of the most important aspects of a competitive game. Without balance, centralization occurs and it becomes necessary to use a particular set of techniques or characters to win. That's a poor state for a competitive game or sport. A game without balance doesn't deserve to be called competitive.
1) How can we have the slightest idea of how balanced such a complex game is after less than a year out?
2) If balance is so important why did Brawl kick Melee out of EVO when it came out? Unless you're suggesting Brawl's balance isn't terrible compared to any smash...?
Could it be that the deciding factor then and now is not balance but mostly hype? Do you think that's the best reason to pick a game and kick out another?

p.s. Melee is still a good competitive game, but it's pointless to compare ANY two Smash games. This post is ONLY about Sm4sh, so let's please not go there.
Not only it's not pointless... in cases like this it's necessary. The poll is about which game should be in next year's EVO: Melee or Smash4 (that there is even a debate about this is terrifying).
P.S.: Those who think there's a chance of having both are deluding themselves...

Last edited:

ezm1100

Smash Rookie
NNID
ezm1100
3DS FC
4313-2554-8581
I'm seriously just done with this argument. We aren't getting anywhere just fighting like this

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
Having Melee at EVO 2015 would be hype, but having Smash 4 at EVO will help it's metagame develop. Having BOTH Melee and Smash 4 will be amazing and brilliant, as we will see Pros preforming stellar matches for Melee but will turn tables when we see those players in Smash 4. All that I ask for is no items for Smash 4's Competitive Scene, and probably no Equipment attached to characters (Remember Brawl EVO 2008?).
Evo 2008 had items? why? how?

Top Bottom