• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
lol, conspiracy theories on logo placement and player support? I don't see the logic that dictates only Skullgirls players may donate to Skullgirls, and as far as I know people who are actually planning on attending EVO have every right to a say on what the eight game is, just as much as us (of which, how many of you are even planning on attending EVO if Smash didn't make it?).

Just donate and support the game you want.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I doubt he'll be the only plug SG gets. There might already be more we don't know about. The point is this seems more like FGC vs Smash than SGs vs Melee.

Leaving tags at the end of my posts makes me feel cool.

Smooth Criminal
The big, bad internet kid hurt our feelings, yes? I say one simple little thing and fops like yourself gotta blow it out of proportion. I think...I think I'm going to cry now. WOE! WOE IS I! CAST YOUR ASPERSIONS UNTO ME!

(as if this isn't the first time someone wants to talk **** about my signing all of my posts)

The **** outta here, bro. Dim your prospects all you want, but I'm sure as hell not going to give a ****. Just shut up, donate, hope for the best, and make some hype and fun out of this.

Also, what Ankoku and Krisp said.

Smooth Criminal

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
I'm beginning to suspect that's where a good chunk of the SG donations are coming from, not necessarily fans of SGs but the FGC by large.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think an enormous chunk of donations coming in are from the fans of the voice actresses (who are admittedly, pretty hot imo) who shot in $50.00 for a personalized message. And then like you mentioned, they have a lot of famous names starting to gather around them and offer similar deals.

That aside, let's look to our strength- the sheer amount of numbers that Skullgirls doesn't have (maybe in the future? But definitely not now). Someone mentioned way before that if everybody puts in something like $5.00, this tournament is in the bag. I agree with that whole-heartedly.

FreedomFighter

Smash Cadet
You guys need to stop pretending you understand a community you're not a part of.

:phone:
What community?

They hosted a tournament recently and got 2 entrants lmao. What a joke.
VAs supporting the game on the first stream that couldn't care less about the game itself, seriously just listen to their commentary or watch them play. On the second stream some Marvel player who didn't even have the game and never played it before was promoting it.

All this points to the fact that barely anyone cares about the game itself. Skullgirls is basically the 2D version of DOA. It's main draw is sex appeal. And just like DOA it shouldn't be taken too seriously when there are clealry superior games in the genre.

That's just the straight up truth you all know deep down. I already said it as respectfully as possible without sugar coating it.

That being said it's for a good cause so I guess that's what matters in the end. But it definitely doesn't show squat about which community is stronger or more deserving becasue that's 100X Smash

El Duderino

Smash Ace
I mean they've got popular Marvel players supporting the game now that have literally never played SG before now.
Does it really matter why these Marvel players are supporting it? The big takeaway here is as outsiders, they are not going to have the same kind of investment in the outcome. Neither will their fans. That's where we have the upper hand if we play our cards right.

zmx

Smash Lord
The big, bad internet kid hurt our feelings, yes? I say one simple little thing and fops like yourself gotta blow it out of proportion. I think...I think I'm going to cry now. WOE! WOE IS I! CAST YOUR ASPERSIONS UNTO ME!

(as if this isn't the first time someone wants to talk **** about my signing all of my posts)

The **** outta here, bro. Dim your prospects all you want, but I'm sure as hell not going to give a ****. Just shut up, donate, hope for the best, and make some hype and fun out of this.

Also, what Ankoku and Krisp said.

Smooth Criminal
You typed all of this out because I made a small joke about your posting habits. I don't think you can tell anyone else they get butthurt too easily.

Gea

Smash Master
Oh lawsy the anger from all these paranoid people. You know what? If you read their thread on SRK you have players thinking a few people with deep pockets is dropping all that money for Melee. Both sides are jumping to conclusions for things they don't understand.

It's all good. Show your support by donating, not whining

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
What community?

They hosted a tournament recently and got 2 entrants lmao. What a joke.
VAs supporting the game on the first stream that couldn't care less about the game itself, seriously just listen to their commentary or watch them play. On the second stream some Marvel player who didn't even have the game and never played it before was promoting it.

All this points to the fact that barely anyone cares about the game itself. Skullgirls is basically the 2D version of DOA. It's main draw is sex appeal. And just like DOA it shouldn't be taken too seriously when there are clealry superior games in the genre.

That's just the straight up truth you all know deep down. I already said it as respectfully as possible without sugar coating it.

That being said it's for a good cause so I guess that's what matters in the end. But it definitely doesn't show squat about which community is stronger or more deserving becasue that's 100X Smash
Dude, follow Krisp's advice. Fanatiq was playing and promoting the game before it was even released. He and many others are proponents of the game because of the design philosophies it shares with MvC2, a polarizing but widely beloved classic. Nothing you stated is a fact and none of it "points" to anything.

Further, shut the **** up about what Smash "deserves". The story of Skullgirls' development team could be pitched as just as much of a feel-good story as the Smash community's, but I don't suspect you have a clue about that.

I love Melee and it's my top choice for the eighth game at Evo, but I'mma donate $2 to Skullgirls for every ignorant-*** post like this I see from here on out.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Dude, follow Krisp's advice. Fanatiq was playing and promoting the game before it was even released. He and many others are proponents of the game because of the design philosophies it shares with MvC2, a polarizing but widely beloved classic. Nothing you stated is a fact and none of it "points" to anything.

Further, shut the **** up about what Smash "deserves". The story of Skullgirls' development team could be pitched as just as much of a feel-good story as the Smash community's, but I don't suspect you have a clue about that.

I love Melee and it's my top choice for the eighth game at Evo, but I'mma donate $2 to Skullgirls for every ignorant-*** post like this I see from here on out.
You're seriously gonna get upset over a few trolls? Just let them be man lol

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Further, shut the **** up about what Smash "deserves".
Yeah, I have to admit I've been cringing every time I read a statement on facebook or reddit and etc. when I see someone claiming we "deserve" this. I don't really see how you can be so entitled... especially considering the way to get in is to donate the most money to breast cancer research.

FreedomFighter

Smash Cadet
Did you watch the stream?

-did not have the game had to download it
-clearly never played it before seriously and was just learning everything the whole time even admitted this

And this to you proves he cared about the game before...what a joke.
2 man tourny is also a fact I saw the dude who hosted it confirm it. SGs has no real support by people who play it. It has sex appeal and FGC backers mostly.

Those are all facts. Sorry if you get mad over facts.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Did you watch the stream?

-did not have the game had to download it
-clearly never played it before and was just learning everything the whole time even admitted this

And this to you proves he cared about the game before...what a joke.
2 man tourny is also a fact I saw the dude who hosted it confirm it. SGs has no real support by people who play it. It has sex appeal and FGC backers mostly.

Those are all facts. Sorry if you get mad over facts.
fanatiq can't play dev builds? lol ok. reading comprehension pls

2 man tourney sux but as a devil's advocate kind of thing SG has a lot of 2d FGs to compete w. meanwhile smash is a very unique game. also the FGC is typically terrible w grassroots efforts and actually supporting them. LA Akira tried to grow the LA VF scene w a TON of incentives but it didn't end up working out

FreedomFighter

Smash Cadet
I meant he never played it seriously. HE WAS LEARNING THE GAME THE WHOLE TIME.
Delusional people smh
He does NOT care about the game. Much like most of the FGC.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
fanatiq can't play dev builds? lol ok. reading comprehension pls

2 man tourney sux but as a devil's advocate kind of thing SG has a lot of 2d FGs to compete w. meanwhile smash is a very unique game
uh...i think smash being unique is supposed to be a bonus, so that was a terrible devil's advocate

clowsui

Smash Legend
whether or not the FGC cares about it now doesn't have anything to do w whether or not it deserves a place at evo. the FGC at large usually doesn't care about non-capcom games yet MK/KoF are two of the arguably most successful games to have been hosted at EVO

smash being unique is a bonus , i'm arguing that smash doesn't have to compete w anyone while SG has to compete w 1903840013948931084 other games so that might explain exactly why SG has 2 entrants

FreedomFighter

Smash Cadet
If your game cannot get support from anyone it is a bad game. Just the cold hard truth.

SG always had actual devs backing it up. What did Melee have with Nintendo basically shunning the competitive community...you talk about home grown it does not get any purer than Smash Bros. SG was force fed and still failed.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
If your game cannot get support from anyone it is a bad game. Just the cold hard truth.

SG always had actual devs backing it up. What did Melee have with Nintendo basically shunning the competitive community...you talk about home grown it does not get any purer than Smash Bros. SG was force fed and still failed.
#letthebanksgamefail
what

SSBM_or_GTFO

Smash Apprentice
I really want to donate to this but my bank accounts dry. If I purchase a pre-paid visa card will that work with Wepay?

If it does I'm down to donate 50 come time for the Final Spirit Bomb.

clowsui

Smash Legend
that'll work ssbmorgtfo

despite SG having almost everything a fighting game fan could ask for in terms of features it's been shunned. part of this has to do w how long it took to patch or w/e but aside from that from what i've read it's just another sad case of lack of effective community mobilization and also oversaturation. MikeZ and the ppl involved in SG are trying to use EVO as a catalyst, especially since the patch is projected to work on 360 before EVO

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Yeah, I have to admit I've been cringing every time I read a statement on facebook or reddit and etc. when I see someone claiming we "deserve" this. I don't really see how you can be so entitled... especially considering the way to get in is to donate the most money to breast cancer research.
I completely agree.

Revven

FrankerZ
it'd be nice to have another rich dude come out of no where and drop like 10k on melee. That will seal the deal for sure.
Yes, it'd be nice, but we cannot rely on something so unlikely or random. It'd be like relying on a trip in a Brawl match to get you the win. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom