• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Melee is going to need a big push or Skull girls are just going to snipe the competition at the end. THey have a big donor.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Let's be real guys the money we raise for breast cancer is nothing compared to what they already have.
Agreed... actually, someone in the SG forum actually made a pretty long statement that I could agree with- it pretty much boiled down to this drive being more about winning a spot at EVO than actually donating to cancer research... and I think as dirtbaggy as that makes everybody involved sound, I have to admit it's true. Not saying that donating is a bad thing by any stretch, but it's definitely taken a backseat in our minds. I definitely don't want to lie to myself and say "it's all for cancer research" when I realize how much I want to see melee at EVO.

Of course I'm still proud of how much the community together has donated to it.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
If I have donated 10$ in the last week and I donate 30$ tonight, does that make me eligible for those kick *** Pokemon sketches?

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
You're just now realizing that this is more about pay your way into evo than saving ****?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Not at all, it's just that up until recently there have been so many voices saying "THINK OF THE CANCER NOT EVO". Sure we shouldn't diminish the importance of it, but that's about all it amounts to.

V-K

Smash Ace
Where did the money for ST even come from? Was it one guy or was there a big event/donation drive?

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Where did the money for ST even come from? Was it one guy or was there a big event/donation drive?
Only one rumor so far, and that it was one or maybe a few Japanese guys that were willing to donate 50K to ST, then stopped once they tied us, to let the rest of the FGC win it for them.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
This might all come down to snipe timing

:phone:
I have a feeling we're going to see every single snipe come into play at 2-3 hours before the deadline... nobody wants to risk their snipe being unused because of some possible "technical issues" or delays or etc. after all.

V-K

Smash Ace
could this really be all they got?, i have baaaaaaad feeling about this
I don't think so. A person or a group of people (I don't believe it was a large mass because then there would have been some information about it somewhere) that is able to suddenly donate over 30k just like that probably has got much more than that. They probably stopped here to make it look like it's a close battle or something.

This thing got pretty tense. Now we don't only have to watch out for Skullgirls but also this new threat that looks much more dangerous imo. The victory now doesn't seem as close anymore but we can still win.

Life

Smash Hero
We still have a shot guys. If ST was able to curbstomp us last night why didn't they? That would be like intentionally dropping an ICs chaingrab so you could edgeguard somebody. I mean, it could work, but why do it when you could just usmash?

Who's up for breaking 50k?

Revven

FrankerZ
Some dude is throwing around that we are commiting CC fraud. What do you guys think?
https://twitter.com/Chindogg21
Uhm, that was a photoshopped image and the guy who posted it was just trolling people in the facebook group/event the other day.

If people actually looked at the image, they'd see the 7,000.50 is not aligned. Plus the service fee is ridiculously low. The service fee goes up depending on how much you donate in total.

The image was posted by someone on NeoGAF this morning (originally it was only in the facebook group/event as said before) so I'm guessing that's where this Chindogg guy saw it and decided to tweet about it. It's not a legit screenshot.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Uhm, that was a photoshopped image and the guy who posted it was just trolling people in the facebook group/event the other day.

If people actually looked at the image, they'd see the 7,000.50 is not aligned. Plus the service fee is ridiculously low. The service fee goes up depending on how much you donate in total.

The image was posted by someone on NeoGAF this morning (originally it was only in the facebook group/event as said before) so I'm guessing that's where this Chindogg guy saw it and decided to tweet about it. It's not a legit screenshot.
That makes sense. Now, if someone can explain this to the SG community without sounding like a **** (as tempting as it might be), that would be nice.

If it were real, I'd probably hate that guy too.

Revven

FrankerZ
Twitter is so incoherent I can't understand what he's trying to say. What's his original accusation?
That the image is real and we're fraudulent because we're gonna have a random guy take first at Evo in order to keep the $7000.

The truth is, the image isn't real and no one is backing down to let one guy take first just to keep $7000. The guy was TROLLING and the person on twitter is a ******* for not reading the comments section in full where the image was posted.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Lol that's not even what wepay looks like. FGC get trolled, unless he himself is trolling, then mr wizard don't get trolled.

Not to mention he's been bashing melee hard since before st made the jump, probably only chipped in 10$ himself. Guys, lets win this so he doesn't get his money's worth and contemplates getting it back :troll:

I wonder if that was salsa's final form? Salsa for best troll. FGC monsters going down the troll tier list, gotta think up new jokes calling us kids after 12 years have passed.

Smiles

Smash Journeyman
WTH even if so, the guy could get in massive trouble. And c'mon he couldnt have been that serious telling everyone, making it public to let him take the title no money and not get caught. If its real, it's a bluff by him. I call BS.

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
Actually, the context looks as if he's saying after we're announced the winner of the spot, he'd report Cc fraud and get his money back.

I honestly don't see how this one person has anything to do with the community as a whole anyway. I see barely anyone associated with him on FB and this actually is a big problem for HIM financially if it is true. I don't see anyone in our community supporting bullcrap like that just to win. Especially not after all the work everyone put in to get this far.

At least that's the effect I perceived from the huge "DEBATE DONATION" button or w/e.

Life

Smash Hero
Honestly, if I were the cynical conspiracy theorist, I would assume that post was a false flag. But I think troll is more likely, nobody's that malicious. (Are they?)

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, if I were the cynical conspiracy theorist, I would assume that post was a false flag. But I think troll is more likely, nobody's that malicious. (Are they?)
They say MOBA gamers can be bad, but even though I love fighting games I have to admit that there can be some huge *******s here... I wouldn't put it past someone to do something like that.

Luckily I'd say a majority of the melee/sg/fgc communites are pretty reasonable and cool people.

Revven

FrankerZ
Here is where the image was originally posted. Just read all the comments. Then notice Scar & some others pointed out it's fake.

Just for your convenience and no more confusion.

Atlus8

Smash Master
I have some homework for anyone staying at home today!

Take a screenshot on anything that is worth taking notice! If it's a comment on a rumor! SCREENSHOT! Suspicious post! SCREENSHOT! A spike in doantions! SCREENSHOT! I won't be home for most of the day so I'm counting on you guys!

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Much as I'm all for giving to charitable causes, there's truth to this. They might have done better going with, say, something from the top of GiveWell's list, or some such.
Or some transhumanist organization or anti-aging research to please me personally, but it was not to be.

But whatevs. Good cause is still good.
Oh my god I'm not the only transhumanist on these forums?
praise IKE SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom