• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
Don't mean to be overly negative but their stream is all about the voice actresses... the reward for donating is to feel good about following the directions of those few girls. That's the primary motivation for quite a few of these people.

edit
I guess I don't really know that to be true. The tone of the stream is just strange to me.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Ok I'm not a big Melee player or supporter but Melee players please do everything in your power to beat out Skullgirls. You cannot lose to a fanbase that primarily consists of a bunch of weeaboo future 40 Year Old Virgins!

and on that note I'm out....

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
The only reason people acted supportive of Skullgirls here was because of pity. They assumed there was no way they could catch up.
Truth right here. Mike Z is offering voice actor voicemails for donations of $50+, can you imagine if Melee offered fanservice completely unrelated to the scene (or on SG's case, lack thereof) and quality of the game like that?

Skullgirls is pretty good for an indie game but it failed me as the true MvC2 sequel and gets blown out of the water by SSBM and GG.

Can't wait to crush all of the SGC's hopes and dreams with this next donation drive :smirk:

Ok I'm not a big Melee player or supporter but Melee players please do everything in your power to beat out Skullgirls. You cannot lose to a fanbase that primarily consists of a bunch of weeaboo future 40 Year Old Virgins!

and on that note I'm out....
You kept me motivated until the last half of your statement.

BOO! HISS! DISLIKE! GET OFF THE STAGE!

zmx

Smash Lord
SO on the scar's stream http://www.twitch.tv/bobby_scar they are offering possibly a detailed critique/session for a certain amount of money donated. Decidedly NOT some random voice actress leaving a message...

It was just mentioned briefly in passing, discussing incentives right now
While I agree it's a dumb reason to support a competitive fighting game let's be honest here.

If Nintendo tomorrow did the same thing with original Melee VAs and devs. even more people that know nothing about competitive Smash would donate for that reason alone. The official devs. promoting a game means a lot to people and on the grand scale of Nintendo as opposed to some indie devs.....yeah.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Will the donation drive end on Wednesday period or something like Wednesday at 8:00 P.M? I can't donate right now because some jackhole apprently used my credit card so I had to cancel it and order a new one.

Afraid I may not get it till Wednesday.

zmx

Smash Lord
Have people considered telling other forums about the drive? Some such as gamefaqs are extremly active.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/516492-super-smash-bros-melee
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/928518-super-smash-bros-brawl
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u

The last one (the board for Smash 4) is obviously the most active but posting about it on all 3 should help a ton. I'm too lazy to do it even though I have accounts there but someone else feel free to do it.

Edit: Oh and be sure to keep the topics bumped. The Smash 4 board moves extremely fast.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Have people considered telling other forums about the drive? Some such as gamefaqs are extremly active.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/516492-super-smash-bros-melee
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/928518-super-smash-bros-brawl
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u

The last one (the board for Smash 4) is obviously the most active but posting about it on all 3 should help a ton. I'm too lazy to do it even though I have accounts there but someone else feel free to do it.

Edit: Oh and be sure to keep the topics bumped. The Smash 4 board moves extremely fast.
Well to anyone who does post, make sure to share my spirit bomb pic.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Will the donation drive end on Wednesday period or something like Wednesday at 8:00 P.M? I can't donate right now because some jackhole apprently used my credit card so I had to cancel it and order a new one.

Afraid I may not get it till Wednesday.
"donation drive is officially over January 31, 2013 at 11:59 pm pst"

zmx

Smash Lord
Oh and if someone goes through with this BE SURE TO STATE SMASH NOT MELEE IN THE TITLE FOR THE BRAWL AND SMASH 4 BOARDS.

Otherwise there's a good chance mods will remove it for being off topic.

Also to further help safeguard this in the topic add something extra like "Also, what's your favourite Smash character ever?".

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
While I agree it's a dumb reason to support a competitive fighting game let's be honest here.

If Nintendo tomorrow did the same thing with original Melee VAs and devs. even more people that know nothing about competitive Smash would donate for that reason alone. The official devs. promoting a game means a lot to people and on the grand scale of Nintendo as opposed to some indie devs.....yeah.
Wildly impossible what-ifs are irrelevant. Fact is that we're a 12 year old competitive community who was never supposed to exist still pulling through with massive tournaments today and Skullgirls is an almost scene-less indie game who's somehow in the lead tonight because of personalized fanservice. That's dropping down to the level of MLP:FiM and after a stunt like this to try and gain interest for Skullgirls I won't feel so bad if the proposed SG support from the Smash community is dropped.

Apparently, Strongbad said on that podcast chat of Scar's that if someone donates 300 dollars, he'll go on a date with them.

axe09: If anyone donates $500, I'll take them out to Olive Garden

And axe too apparently?

BrandX

Smash Ace
Wildly impossible what-ifs are irrelevant. Fact is that we're a 12 year old competitive community who was never supposed to exist still pulling through with massive tournaments today and Skullgirls is an almost scene-less indie game who's somehow in the lead tonight because of personalized fanservice. That's dropping down to the level of MLP:FiM and after a stunt like this to try and gain interest for Skullgirls I won't feel so bad if the proposed SG support from the Smash community is dropped.
Dude I can't god damn believe you. Now your post has seriously pissed me off.

You are seriously going to get butthurt over the fact that we got support from the voice actors, they wanted to help us? I do not really see an issue with that.

Your series HEAVILY revolves around fan service.

You guys could totally catch up WITHOUT the help of voice actors, you already proved it.

zmx

Smash Lord

Smash became popular because of fanservice not because of the amazing mechanics behind it. Let's not kid ourselves.
Melee has sold 7 million. Brawl has sold 11 million. Amazing numbers but how many bought them initially because of the fundamental mechanics as opposed to so they could fight Pikachu as Link?

Sure the competitive community loves it for the mechanics but what ultimately allowed the draw in the first place were the popular Nintendo characters.
Can't really throw stones when one lives in a glass house.

Again I also find donating because a female VA leaves you a personalized message to be dumb but Smash can't really accuse any other game of getting support because of fanservice. Smash is literally fanservice personified.

iLink

Smash Champion
You don't need to sound super bitter about it. To be fair, if you look at it from their perspective, having melee's donations matched for x4 of their actual donation majorly set everyone back. You can't do drives yourself and then get mad when someone else tries it.

And about the skullgirls scene, it got set back by industry circumstances (the dev team was let off) so they weren't able to support the game while everyone was waiting for a certain update that was supposed to have been released, which caused the interest to whittle down.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Olive Garden? I'm a manager at Olive Garden.

If someone donates $500 dollars, you and a guest eat for free.

(in Rhode Island)

Edit: To clarify this wasn't legit. I wouldn't expect people to pay $500 dollars for a $100 dollar meal for two.

zmx

Smash Lord
If no one posts about it on gamefaqs by tomorrow I might just do it myself.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Dude I can't god damn believe you. Now your post has seriously pissed me off.

You are seriously going to get butthurt over the fact that we got support from the voice actors, they wanted to help us? I do not really see an issue with that.

Your series HEAVILY revolves around fan service.

You guys could totally catch up WITHOUT the help of voice actors, you already proved it.
Smash became popular because of fanservice not because of the amazing mechanics behind it. Let's not kid ourselves.
Melee has sold 7 million. Brawl has sold 11 million. Amazing numbers but how many bought them initially because of the fundamental mechanics as opposed to so they could fight Pikachu as Link?

Sure the competitive community loves it for the mechanics but what ultimately allowed the draw in the first place were the popular Nintendo characters.
Can't really throw stones when one lives in a glass house.

Again I also find donating because a female VA leaves you a personalized message to be dumb but Smash can't really accuse any other game of getting support because of fanservice. Smash is literally fanservice personified.
You don't need to sound super bitter about it. To be fair, if you look at it from their perspective, having melee's donations matched for x4 of their actual donation majorly set everyone back. You can't do drives yourself and then get mad when someone else tries it.

And about the skullgirls scene, it got set back by industry circumstances (the dev team was let off) so they weren't able to support the game while everyone was waiting for a certain update that was supposed to have been released, which caused the interest to whittle down.
My apologies for panicked jealous ranting, I'd just like to be a bit more convinced that's there's a solid competitive scene before the possibility of losing occurs :\

Kinda wish the Melee voice actors were behind us too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom