• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

thechunkylover

Smash Apprentice
Why would you close the other thread but leave the one that was created afterwards open? The reason no one posted in here was because everyone expected this one to be locked immediately cause there was already the same damn thread up.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
Nobody else posted receipts, nobody needs to post them. Some random guy asked for them, all people need to do is donate.

:phone:

Gliffie

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1906-3068
Nobody else posted receipts, nobody needs to post them. Some random guy asked for them, all people need to do is donate.

Lol, I didn't ask for ****. Don't care about the totals, but if anyone does, that would be the best way to keep track of it.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Then respond to that one or quote both it's misleading. Since you're on mobile you can only really quote 1 in which case pick the original dude. Also it's his own prerogative to post a receipt, don't think it's fair to call him wrong for doing so

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Lol jiv, just stop. Like seriously though lol you're worse right now than the people you complain about. As far as I'm concerned he donated, move on.

JacopeX

Smash Apprentice
I get paid tomorrow. I'm reserving two rooms for two events and gotta pay for my phone bill. I hope I have money left over to make a donation for Melee.

I voted for ponies

[collapse="My screencap"]
[/collapse]

Imagine if news of EVO gets on a big brony site and some bronies from everywhere on the internet watch the big stream. Fighting games could get a lot of exposure to the world. At least to nuts who like this show

If you dislike my stupid opinion, go ahead and donate for Melee's name. Do well

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Wait, I thought the developers of the pony game said NOT to donate because they won't have a build ready? Sounds like you wasted your donation mang.

edit: Corrected.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Wait, I thought the developers of the pony game said NOT to donate because they won't have a build ready? Sounds like you wasted your donation mang.
They said that you shouldnt donate only because the game had ponies, ou should donate only if you supported the game.

EDIT: Also, people donating for FiM should gets their facts straight, FiM WILL be at Apex either way, they will be in the Indie Games Corner, like in EVO2k12. Melee doesnt have that chance. I dont mind seeing either game at Apex (Heck, if fim gets in the lineup i would consider start working and saving money to go, i am the best player of SA), but really, Melee deserves it the most.

J.D

Smash Rookie
Well that's was a long read...
I've been keeping up with this thread and the other one for a couple of days now, and after reading every post I thought it was a good time to reply.

I'm a member of SRK. I lurked for 2 years before finally joining in 2003. I also joined this site a year later because I was learning Melee, but I only got to a below-average level (barely 2 reps of shine inf :( ) and started focusing on other games, so I can't consider myself part of this community.

Some of the comments I've read in this site have made me rethink about the relationship between our communities, and the many ways on which the relationship between us could have been better. Before I address many of the concerns you've brought up, I'd like to first talk a little bit about the history of our community, more specifically how the first years weren't actually that bad at all. I remember back in the 2004-2007 period, Meele was called "Marvel JR." by a lot of people, and we know that SRK loves that Marvel, so that is a big title.

We all know what happened the year when Brawl was at EVO, so I'm not going to comment on that, however, it's important to note that after that year, we could say that each community went its own way. A lot of people think the relationship was bitter, but the truth is that the problem at EVO was a very simple misunderstanding that was solved very easily (Wizard's tweet).

The real reason behind the hostility between our communities is because of misconceptions and nothing more. I can only speak for the SRK side, and I can tell you that we had a lot of misconceptions about your community, but it's still worth mentioning that the personalities of both communities were very different.

The reason behind the misconceptions (at least on our side) lies on that old pointless discussion "Is it a fighting game or not". I'm not here to start that conversation, but let me point something out. Absolutely nobody on our side takes this discussion seriously.....
The reason why many of us (myself included, just recently actually) got into this discussion many many times is because of the fun we had from the reactions of those who went all the way to SRK to discuss that.

These people are the root of our misconceptions. A lot of us thought that these people represented the whole smash community. This is of course a mistake, however, we saw them as easy targets who were easily flame-baited, and we enjoyed the hilarious responses we got from them. I personally have a collection of quotes from these people laying around somewhere. I really don't think anyone can blame us for finding them funny. Let me share one with you.

smash is the most innovative fighting game to date as it add to the genre things that have never been seen before.
heres a list of things that make smash stand out.

-Tier lists
Ok I don't remember the full list, but that alone had me laughing for sometime :laugh:

On the other hand, I have to admit that SRK at the time was unwelcoming to new members, but you have to remember that it was also a time where the majority of SRK came from the arcades where respect was mostly earned through winning games instead of posting an introduction thread. That's why the place seemed unwelcoming at first, but I can tell you this community changed my life in a positive way. The truth is that offline we've always been accessible and friendly, but I can understand the bad image you might have gotten based on our online image only. Most of us agree that this hardcore era of SRK is now gone, as we started a new one after 2009 with SF4, and yet another one last year with Esports.

Actually, it's not really gone, all of us who were part of the hardcore SRK are still there, the only difference is that we are a LOT now, so I can gladly say that we're now a minority in the community because we've grown so much.

Now, back on topic. I believe that this project is an amazing way for us to forget about the past and try to work together again. I'd like to first remind you all that this project is part of a big continuous effort done by our community leaders to improve the image of our community to the world. That is because we need it. You see, most of us acted carelessly on SRK on previous years because we were really an underground group. Nowadays, fighting games are really getting mainstream attention, not as much a LOL and FPS, but it's growing. Now we actually need to be careful about what the world thinks about us.

The community leaders realized this a long time ago, and since then we now have a lot of things we can use as reference when we we are targeted by yellow journalism. This year we are getting together to fight Cancer.

This brings me to my next point, and that is the transparency issues.
First, about hiding the donations.
Remember that the goal of this project is to donate as much as possible to charity, so I think you can understand how revealing the numbers would decrease that donation number significantly. Second, we have no way of knowing that these numbers will always remain hidden, but we can know for sure that if the EVO staff were to say that they would be revealed at a later date, then that would also decrease the amount of donations.
It really does make the most sense to keep them hidden if your goal is to donate as much as you can.

Now, about the other conspiracy theories going around. I'd like you to please reconsider who you're talking about. Yes, shady business practices are no strangers to the FGC, but that's why we have a list of venues and tournament promoters to avoid. The EVO founders are highly respected by the community, and have proven their love and passion for the community many many times. We trust them just as much as you trust your community leaders.

EVO staff understands they are requiring you to trust them, but I have no problems doing that, and I think so should you.

The last problem I want to address is regarding a big company coming in buying themselves in. This is a real possibility, but the truth is that it's really hard to police (Sony can simply ask John Doe to donate under his name), and it also goes against your goal if that is to donate as much as you can.

It seems I overextended myself, I apologize for that. I just want to encourage you all to support the game you love and donate. Even if you don't win, you're more than welcome to come and hold a side tourney. EVO is a great experience, I wish you could all feel it at least once.

Remember that among many things, yet another goal of this project is to unite communities, and it certainly has the potential to. Look at me and posting in a Smash forum. My 2008-self would have slapped me, but here I am anyway and I'm glad.

Thank you EVO.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Please stop...just no. We've heard that, no more rehashing. We've heard that and more I'm pretty sure you told that to jiv specifically before.

Thanks JD. Obviously, regardless of the outcome we've already gotten some exposure thanks to this little competition. So donate...or don't. Just please stop saying pointless things.

Also, after apex more people will be here, a big chunk might not even know about this yet and hey...if the ponies win maybe we can reach out to GG and VF communities to have our own tourney Kappa.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Remember that among many things, yet another goal of this project is to unite communities, and it certainly has the potential to. Look at me and posting in a Smash forum. My 2008-self would have slapped me, but here I am anyway and I'm glad.

Thank you EVO.
Thanks for doing this. I read the whole post, and definitely appreciate this part the most. I think it shows how important this game and the status of EVO that it has become such a polarizing topic. I've been on SRK as a lurker for years (played VF, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, dabbled in AE/MVC2 [shoutouts to my Philly crew including Doctor Chaos, Felax, and OmegaNitro]), and I think that this should serve as an impetus.

No community is perfect, and we should show the love that we have for the game by helping to get it to the biggest stage that exists. In addition, our community is far from perfect, but we can use this to try and get rid of some cobwebs. We certainly didn't show our best face at NEC, and with what occurred in terms of physicality and disrespect, I kind of wish we didn't show a face at all there. However, a lot of the community leaders are working to improve. Yes, this late in the game, we're still making steps to strive for perfection, and I think that's one of the redeeming qualities.

Anyway, again, thanks for coming by and if you want to discuss things further (this weekend aside) I'm pretty easy to track down.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
What if the forerunner is only $100 ahead at a given moment and could cause its competition to rally and donate even more?

That's the funny thing about hypotheticals.
My god you're obnoxious.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
@Kinklink We'd put up 110, they'd put up another 20, we'd throw down another 50 and someone else will come at the end and beat is both (though we'd have redact ;P) that us the funny thing about hypotheticals, there's no perfect way though I do admit what they have right now isn't perfect. Either way breast cancer loses.

And don't take the bait from jiv either, leave him be kink.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Can someone who knows alex strife contact him about this donation thing? There could be a donation booth at the venue, maybe a link to be put on the stream(maddddd viewers) with the sponsors. There might even already be plans in the works idk but lets just stop the e-peening.

inkblot

Smash Rookie
Sliraobe God said:
I've read every post in this thread, and I'm surprised nobody mentioned this possibility:

1. A reliable member / organization within our community sets up a PayPal account.
2. We donate to that account instead of this (which, as others pointed out, is a gamble).
3. Before the deadline passes in 21 days, the aforementioned reliable member/organization/whatever makes an informed decision. If a corporation like Sony or grassroots competition (like the MLP: FiM community!) donated more than the resources we gathered, then we can either:
a) return the funds back to our generous smashers.
b) or pool our assets for our own upcoming event.
4. If we somehow collected the most money, then we transfer our funds over to this charity drive, and we win.

Reposting this from the other thread. This is the best idea so far, imo.
You guys know this is the internet and we can read this stuff, right?

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Wow ****ing ******s, did they even learn what EVO was before they threw their obscene amounts of filthy money (from their parents no doubt) into an unfinished game that's not going to break 50 attendance?

How did they not get the ****ing hint when Mane6 explicitly told them that they weren't expecting or ready for their game at Evo and that the ****ing ones making their MLP game wanted to see Melee or Skullgirls?

I wouldn't even be so ****ing mad if the dangerous competitors to Melee were legit cool games like MvC2 or GG or something, but no, it's a ****ing unfinished BB/MvC3 parody with a huge fanbase that doesn't even ****ing play fighting games.

I recant my previous statement about losing resentment for the brony community, **** every single one of those manchildren and may their pony faping furry hooves stay forever away from the FGC. I'm throwing more money into this ****.

If I knew how to make one of those Hitler youtube parodies I'd totally do one right now.

zmx

Smash Lord
If I knew how to make one of those Hitler youtube parodies I'd totally do one right now.
It's not that hard to make actually. Just get the raw video and put it in Windows Movie Maker and add subtitles from there.

People keep saying MLP is in the lead but I have yet to see any concrete proof.

@Jackpot: err on the side of caution. You should think not EVERYONE or truly 100% of any group of people are all the same and have the same sentiments. To be honest, the game they are developing is a more daunting project than P:M (imo) and more true to a traditional fighter than smash ever was. Other than the choice of topic and theme for the game, I think its a pretty cool endeavor to completely come up with an entirely new fighter from nothing. Even more so when you think it doesn't have the more experience people you might find at a larger company producing games.

I only hope that community for smash will not be so split as to divert attention between both games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom