• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonas

Smash Champion
The reason why Brawl had items and dumb stages was because it was new and they didn't want to ban everything right away. In a way it was a sensible decision to test all items and stages in a tournament setting. Melee didn't have items on when it was featured at EVO 2007, by the way.

L14m

Smash Rookie
Evo doesn't respect Melee, doesn't respect Smash, I still remember evo 08 finals with items LoL (So Sad).
Why not with that money make a big tournament with amazing Pot bonus? (Like Genesis 3 ).

$94,603 Wasted if evo make Melee something like, 4 players, all stages, random stage & items ...
You are aware of what you're saying,right?

It's not like everybody donated solely for Melee,but for the noble cause associated with it...

isaypwnsj00

Smash Rookie
hey everyone, congratulations on getting melee into evo 2013!

i saw much backlash in the comments over at ign and joystiq because of the decision to put melee in instead of brawl.

clearly melee is still going strong and the metagame is in great shape. i'm really excited to see what will happen!!!!

good luck to all the participants!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
hey everyone, congratulations on getting melee into evo 2013!

i saw much backlash in the comments over at ign and joystiq because of the decision to put melee in instead of brawl.

clearly melee is still going strong and the metagame is in great shape. i'm really excited to see what will happen!!!!

good luck to all the participants!
The decision to put Melee over Brawl? I'm not sure if you chose your words correctly or if they chose them incorrectly but it wasn't a choice.. It was a community effort to make this happen.. every smashers united.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I'll switch with you :p

:phone:
Dude Ottawa? At least you have Toronto within driving distance, I know it's a ***** but Las Vegas is worse lol how many vegas smashers are there?
The decision to put Melee over Brawl? I'm not sure if you chose your words correctly or if they chose them incorrectly but it wasn't a choice.. It was a community effort to make this happen.. every smashers united.
Over at IGN casual players see smash in evo and thought it was a nostalgia choice by the Evo organizers. Why I went in and told some of them brawl helped us get there and old game =/= stale game SSB One Unit.

luzbwl

Smash Cadet
I read some of that as well. They don't understand why melee was chosen over brawl when the latest is the newest game in the series. Well, they will know when they watch melee at evo.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Dude Ottawa? At least you have Toronto within driving distance, I know it's a ***** but Las Vegas is worse lol how many vegas smashers are there?

Over at IGN casual players see smash in evo and thought it was a nostalgia choice by the Evo organizers. Why I went in and told some of them brawl helped us get there and old game =/= stale game SSB One Unit.
Wow really? Ugh.. Why can't they at least do minor research before posting whatever they have in mind as soon as something spectacular happens. Omg.. That's pretty bad.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
About 12 Melee players and about 20 Brawl players, on average.

Revven

FrankerZ
Wow really? Ugh.. Why can't they at least do minor research before posting whatever they have in mind as soon as something spectacular happens. Omg.. That's pretty bad.
Well, IGN article just gave the facts, they didn't go into any details about how any of it came about (how the Smash community came together to pull it off). So... the people outside of here can interpret it as just that: Melee vs Brawl. =\

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
A lot of people were saying **** yeah melee or glad to see smash made it. The people saying brawl stuff were a vocal minority and this exposure for those specific people is the best thing. I think one of our biggest issues is that most smash players don't know about competitive smash and when they find out about it they say...as my friend once put it "nah, I don't want to get beat by a bunch of asians using pikachu's downB" and they don't bother watching a video.

If those people decide to check out competitive smash videos now or even watch evo it could mean a very big thing for breaking down misconceptions and getting people to come out and give it a try. It's also reminding a lot of people about smash since casuals probably haven't played any since like...2009. Here's the page if you want to check it out http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/02/01/smash-bros-melee-is-final-game-for-evo-tournament I think more people have to see the "How fast is melee: video, considering that's basically just the general thing people share whenever someone says "Smash, competitive?"

I think it's a big thing that the comment sitting at the top with 353 up votes atm is "Smash is a tournament worthy game." While trolls and misinformation sits at the bottom.

PureYeti

Smash Cadet

The brawl donation thread got locked immediately. I wonder why :smirk:

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
The brawl donation thread got locked immediately. I wonder why :smirk:

It was obvious we had 13 times the amount brawl had when amounts were first shown and won the poll. Also, a lot of brawl players said we should focus on melee along with the mod who closed it (mod of the brawl section btw). Some brawlers were reluctant and sutck by their game, I respect them for that, they eventually ponied up to melee simply because we had so much momentum and I thank them for that.

Smash is smash to the FGC, if we really get behind this one unit thing we can turn over a new leaf now that people are watching. In the end we both get exposure and had we split the money and had brawl vote for brawl we'd be fighting against each other while SG took the lead.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I dont think its possible to completely eradicate jabs at other communities and also with music, tastes, videos, etc.. Anything really. It's like that everywhere, someone will always find a reason to express their opinions in a hateful manner. What can you do? It's really up to every individual to grow up a little and keep those kinds of opinions to himself. It serves no purpose to say it in the first place and I hope everybody will be able to do something simple as this.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
oh hey guys are we talking about opinions in here again
i really like opinions
just wanted to remind everyone that opinions can be wrong or right
and most things can be quantified, and anything that cant doesn't deserve to be spoken
jus' sayin'
carry on

BrandX

Smash Ace
oh hey guys are we talking about opinions in here again
i really like opinions
just wanted to remind everyone that opinions can be wrong or right
and most things can be quantified, and anything that cant doesn't deserve to be spoken
jus' sayin'
carry on
10/10 Post. I still remember when you said pretty much the same thing on SRK XD

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I say the same thing all the time lol. people seem to be under the impression that if they claim their belief or feeling is an opinion that it is above criticism, which is absolutely wrong. It's a product of this ****ty cultural tolerance idea that everyone's beliefs need to be respected. No, only the correct ones do. Fortunately, this tolerance revolution helped give birth to the scientific method, so no we can throw away idiotic beliefs (the scientific method isn't just a way of doing science, it's a way of coming to the truth), and no longer need tolerate ignorance. Unfortunately, society doesn't seem to be headed in that direction very fast...
#rant

BrandX

Smash Ace
I say the same thing all the time lol. people seem to be under the impression that if they claim their belief or feeling is an opinion that it is above criticism, which is absolutely wrong. It's a product of this ****ty cultural tolerance idea that everyone's beliefs need to be respected. No, only the correct ones do. Fortunately, this tolerance revolution helped give birth to the scientific method, so no we can throw away idiotic beliefs (the scientific method isn't just a way of doing science, it's a way of coming to the truth), and no longer need tolerate ignorance. Unfortunately, society doesn't seem to be headed in that direction very fast...
#rant
If you are so scientific, why does your name contradict itself? You cannot DRINK food, it's literally impossible unless you turn it into slush :troll:

Sorry I just really wanted to say that. My comment is of nothing of importance XD

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
@ Kage: Because you can deduce whether an opinion is bad or not through the scientific method, or at the very least through the rigors of simple, logical observation.

*shrugs.*

Smooth Criminal

Divinokage

Smash Legend
@ Kage: Because you can deduce whether an opinion is bad or not through the scientific method, or at the very least through the rigors of simple, logical observation.

*shrugs.*

Smooth Criminal
But that is not possible.. would it be wrong that I love chocolate but I hate vanilla? The only thing observable is that I prefer things a certain way. Can you really call that ignorance?

There can be opinions which contradict general reason/logic if you want to look at it that way. For example, saying melee is not a "fighter" might be one such area to apply a scientific method. Generate a hypothesis for what a fighter should be declared as and test various qualifications. You could figure out what is counted as a fighter or not.

That's just a quick example that came to mind. Without really testing any criteria, melee is a fighter, and it makes no sense when people claim it otherwise as an opinion.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
As Eryx pointed out, that's different. You can't really prove that chocolate is better than vanilla, insofar as individual preference goes. That's nebulous stuff that doesn't effect much of anything at all, really. Stuff like recipes and the overall nutritional content for chocolate and vanilla, on the other hand, can be measured and quantified with numerous examples, anecdotes, and hardline facts.

It's not really an earth-shattering concept. Lol.

Smooth Criminal

Laijin

Smash Hero
Why would any smasher do that? The T.Os that host those events don't like the Melee community, so they are not hosting Melee at their Road to Evo events to my knowledge. I have no idea how seeding will be done at EVO

Laijin

Smash Hero
Saying its not remotely true is a huge stretch, especially when Jebailey has confirmed he won't be hosting Melee at CEO.
Still, I wasn't aware of any other tournaments hosting it. I heard some things from another TO thats running a road to EVO tourney too and having similar complaints with the Melee community.

So I guess just a couple of them are hosting melee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom