• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mechanics & Techniques Discussion

Was your discovery something new or real?

• Total voters

ericge102

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ericge102
So just getting this straight you need to hold shield for 3 frames then you can stand grab oos.
If thats the case then i think it could be usefull in some scenarios as the difference between the end lag of stand and dash grab is usually 7-8 frames. So it could shave off 4 on most of the cast and in the case of villager it could cut 11 frames of endlag.
Link of frame differences (without accounting for shield time) of standing and dash grab
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...K1dMYq24mmAitdL3jqkxMR8/edit?usp=docslist_api
Frame data from kuroganehammer.com
What do you guys think

TableSaIt

Smash Rookie
Message me on Facebook. AlimDaly. I don't have a profile picture. And it says I work at the krusy krab. I have original video so I can send it to you

Mister M

Smash Apprentice
Hi. So I've been trying to make use of A-landing, or what ever the character wide term for 'hup cancelling' is and I heard that at low percents, it doesn't work. You receive full lag. Is that true? And if it What's the threshold. I don't have great testing conditions for these sort of things, so i'm asking for help. Thanks.

Fanttum

Smash Cadet
Hi. So I've been trying to make use of A-landing, or what ever the character wide term for 'hup cancelling' is and I heard that at low percents, it doesn't work. You receive full lag. Is that true? And if it What's the threshold. I don't have great testing conditions for these sort of things, so i'm asking for help. Thanks.
I don't see any reason why it would be any different at lower %'s.
Unless you mean full lag as normal lag. Auto canceling an aerial (A- Landing, Hup Canceling, etc.) just gives you the same landing lag as if you weren't doing an attack.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
It doesn't work with all aerials. Which character are you trying to do it with?

Mister M

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't work with all aerials. Which character are you trying to do it with?
Ness. Dair is best for him

I'm aware that you have to target the super early auto cancel windows which is easier for some characters than others. I think the best explanation for getting landing lag when attempting to 'a land' is that I simply missed the window.

I'm over it. Thanks though.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah ok now that I can see it a bit better, it's definitely what @SSBU | Jams mentioned earlier http://smashboards.com/threads/mechanics-techniques-discussion.368206/page-63#post-20706859

And as for your reply that you think you only inputted left, that can't be so because right before you land you can see the flash from the fast fall, meaning you were holding down at that point, so then if you went to move left, you probably just hit diagonally down-left then let go of the joystick, resulting in the slide. I was able to replicate the video exactly.

Huron

Smash Rookie
Yeah ok now that I can see it a bit better, it's definitely what @SSBU | Jams mentioned earlier http://smashboards.com/threads/mechanics-techniques-discussion.368206/page-63#post-20706859

And as for your reply that you think you only inputted left, that can't be so because right before you land you can see the flash from the fast fall, meaning you were holding down at that point, so then if you went to move left, you probably just hit diagonally down-left then let go of the joystick, resulting in the slide. I was able to replicate the video exactly.
Thanks for your patience. Tbh I'm glad sheik doesn't have a wavedash lol, that would've been downright hellish. Hopefully this can be done with other characters...
I'm kinda sad now tho cause then other characters might have had one too..

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I know what you're talking about. If a character has exited hitstun recently before landing, A-landings are not possible. We don't know what this time window is, likely no longer than a full second. Let me provide an example. If I jab Kirby as Bowser with the farthest hitbox, Kirby will be airborne at the point when hitstun ends, just a few frames from landing on the ground. If Kirby attempted a Dair (or most of his aerials), you would think he can hup cancel. But in practice, he doesn't. He enters the Dair landing lag state.

This mechanic helps various moves with low knockback. Using Bowser's jab again as an example, if an opponent is mashing A after being jabbed, and they're airborne at the point hitstun ends, they'll enter a landing lag state from their aerial, even if they landed during an autocancel frame at the start of the move. The added landing lag they suffer significantly increases the potential for a followup. Projectiles and moves with low, weight based knockback also benefit greatly from this possibility when their knockback angle sends the opponent upward.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Is there a mathematical equation for Rage? In other words, if I want to test Mewtwo Uthrow KO Percents, can I find out that it kills Mario at X number, and then divide it by Y (rage number) to find out when it will kill with rage?

Sonicninja115

How does one get tilted forward attacks from t-sticking?
I don't think you can. I looked into that and you can't tilt it by using both the c-stick and the circle pad. So unless there is some AT or minor tech I am pretty sure it isn't possible...

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Well I'm swapping to tilt stick but sometimes it does angle forward tilts for me, I just can't figure out what triggers it.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Well I'm swapping to tilt stick but sometimes it does angle forward tilts for me, I just can't figure out what triggers it.
I am able to do it consistently if the c-stick ftilt is buffered and I angle with the control stick.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
What do you mean buffered?

Not in front of a game rn so I'm trying to picture this in my head.
Ex, you spot dodge, input c-stick forward during the buffering window and hold up. You'll ftilt upwards.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Oh, that's less useful then. I'm looking for being able to just ftilt recoveries and characters like Wario and Jiggs on reaction

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Oh, that's less useful then. I'm looking for being able to just ftilt recoveries and characters like Wario and Jiggs on reaction
Why don't you just angle your control stick and press A when they come close? It's just as doable on reaction as it is with tilt sticking.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
Is is really better to use the c-stick for aerials? Since I've been learning Melee, I've completely switched over to the C-stick but is there ever really case where you would just use the control stick (other than things like fading F-airs)?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Is is really better to use the c-stick for aerials? Since I've been learning Melee, I've completely switched over to the C-stick but is there ever really case where you would just use the control stick (other than things like fading F-airs)?
Robin's bronze sword aerials, namely. Even if you're holding forwards and then hit forwards on a tilt stick it'll come out as a Levin aerial.

Ryu definitely should use a C-stick for aerials, though. Tatsuing away from the opponent when you ment to Bair is dumb to say the least.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

I personally prefer C-stick aerials for the extra control it gives, and it works great with Shulk. I also set R to jump, so I can use it easier.

Frido19

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4914-4153-7940
Switch FC
SW-4000-0450-7654
I have been trying to figure out how to understand the knockback values of some attacks, and I've done two tests using this formula:

( ( ( ( ( p/10 + p*d/20 ) * 200/w+100 * 1.4) +18) *s) +b) *r)

p = percent of target
d= damage dealt before the attack hit
w = weight of target
s = knockback growth
b = attack's base knockback
r = ratio of rage, smash charge, crouch cancel, etc...

My 1st test was using Ryu's L.U-tilt against Mario at 0 percent with r set to 1, since I didn't feel the need to test those variables.
My result was 1711

My 2nd test was using Ryu's H.U-tilt against Mario at 0 percent with r set to 1.
This result was 1330

What I want to know is, why is the result higher for the L.U-tilt when it obviously gives off less knockback than the H.U-tilt? Am I reading the values wrong, or am I performing the equation wrong? It would be awesome if someone can provide step by step reasons as to what I did wrong.

P.S. I didn't know what other sub-forum to post this in.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I have been trying to figure out how to understand the knockback values of some attacks, and I've done two tests using this formula:

( ( ( ( ( p/10 + p*d/20 ) * 200/w+100 * 1.4) +18) *s) +b) *r)

p = percent of target
d= damage dealt before the attack hit
w = weight of target
s = knockback growth
b = attack's base knockback
r = ratio of rage, smash charge, crouch cancel, etc...

My 1st test was using Ryu's L.U-tilt against Mario at 0 percent with r set to 1, since I didn't feel the need to test those variables.
My result was 1711

My 2nd test was using Ryu's H.U-tilt against Mario at 0 percent with r set to 1.
This result was 1330

What I want to know is, why is the result higher for the L.U-tilt when it obviously gives off less knockback than the H.U-tilt? Am I reading the values wrong, or am I performing the equation wrong? It would be awesome if someone can provide step by step reasons as to what I did wrong.

P.S. I didn't know what other sub-forum to post this in.
I got 36.4464 for light utilt and 90.8320 for heavy utilt.

200/w+100, I suggest 200 / (w+100) to be safe.

Also, my s was actually g/100 where g was the knockback growth.

Frido19

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4914-4153-7940
Switch FC
SW-4000-0450-7654
I got 36.4464 for light utilt and 90.8320 for heavy utilt.

200/w+100, I suggest 200 / (w+100) to be safe.

Also, my s was actually g/100 where g was the knockback growth.
I must be doing the equation wrong then. what were the steps you took?

Edit: Just realized that i forgot to divide s by 100. thanks for shining light on that.
It seems as if i am still doing something wrong, I get 35.92 for L.U-tilt and 82.6 for H.U-tilt.

Last edited:

WilliamK

Smash Rookie
Are there any advanced techs in SSB4 besides:

-Edge Sliding
-Wave Bouncing
-Extended Dash Dancing
-Perfect Pivoting

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
So something weird happened with Ike. Under what circumstances does Ike's Quick Draw put him in free fall AFTER hitting someone with it in the air? I was certain that if Ike hits someone with QD he can always act out of it after some lag.

Well I witnessed Ike go into freefall shortly after hitting me with QD so can anyone explain?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
He has a window after hitting with it where he can act. If he doesn't act within that timeframe, he'll end up in helpless anyway.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
He has a window after hitting with it where he can act. If he doesn't act within that timeframe, he'll end up in helpless anyway.
Oh wow. Thanks.

Question: Could Ike act with another QD or just everything but that?

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Are there any advanced techs in SSB4 besides:

-Edge Sliding
-Wave Bouncing
-Extended Dash Dancing
-Perfect Pivoting
Yes! A lot of them are character specific, but yes!

Frame canceling is the most popular one I can think of, Shiek has her fancy needles cancel she can do into any aerial, Cloud has his instant limit break cancel (and a real dash dance), there are more I know im forgetting, like theres a instant getup you can do from the ledge that lets marth and other characters counter immediately as a getup option

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Ness's dtilt has a big enough hitbox behind him to hit characters behind him and is very quick.

the pushback mechanic that pushes you away after land multiple hits (most notable with jabs and flamebreath) gets tricked into pushing Ness towards the opponent and even helps ness continue landing dtilts

the only utility of this catching neutral get-up (since you can position this where they get up instead ness's back) and because you link much more dtilts there's a very good chance of getting a trip. not too mention refreshing moves in general.

most characters have to even be walking into ness's back for dtilt to even connect from the back.

I was just wondering if there are other characters that can abuse this mechanic for combos (like Ness's reverse dtilt) instead of just creating space (charizards or bowsers flame breath attacks)

basically quick attacks with a hitbox behind the character that can suck opponents into itself.

Top Bottom