• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MD/VA needs to host a new national and regional series @ Haggerstown

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
The idea of this is entirely new to me, but after visiting the Haggerstown venue this weekend it shouldn't be ignored. I might even end up co-hosting the **** myself with Metal if need be, but it definitely needs to happen.

The venue is huge, there is a stage setup with a solid sound system and microphone that allows for announcements and attention diverting, and it didn't seem to be expensive AT ALL.

Over the next month or so I'll be coming up w/ ideas to make a solid *** regional/national

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Me and Tant said that over a year ago but people ***** about it being too out of the way, which doesn't really make sense to me.

Lets make some moves!

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I had a semi regional event there and we had 40ish people there when i hyped it

I don't really know why people complained. Venue fee was only 5 too

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
LMAO.

Haggerstown is like 1 hour and 40 minutes away from me. And I'm one of the closer people to it probably.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
No, you're one of the furthest away. The va guys can take 270 to get there. It's not as bad as bolts for most people, which got as many as 40 for regular events.

:phone:

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
I don't know what's funny or what's to complain about? Havok/other smashers in cali travel 10+ hours TO the venues on the weekend, and those aren't even nationals.

If you want to go to a regional in pretty much any other area you are going to be doing some traveling. Annnnnnnd, this is why MD/VA sucks. Fortunately though, my AIM is to reach out far beyond MD/VA.

Going over details with metal atm.

B0NK

Smash Lord
No, you're one of the furthest away. The va guys can take 270 to get there. It's not as bad as bolts for most people, which got as many as 40 for regular events.

^^^this

It's about 1 hour 30 mins away for most of NoVA (Reston, Centreville, Chantilly, Falls Church, Arlington, Fairfax).

But for Reston, Centreville, Chantilly part of NoVA it's better to take US-15N.

at max it can be about 2-hours if for w/e reason traffic is bad.... (which shouldn't happen on a Saturday morning >.>)

I'll make it out when I can (especially if Zant can provide a ride :D), didn't go last time because I knew Ktar was going to cut into attendance + having plans with friends (not smash related lol).

I should also start looking into hosting around the beltway and finding venues again (like the Greenbelt area tourneys Brandon and I ran).

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
MD/VA Regionals aka Xanadu, Pound, Critical Hit, etc. have always been in pretty well-centered areas.

And lol @ traveling 10+ hours for tournaments. **** cost mad money, I'm sure. Gas on a 10+ hr drive = being $200 negative into the pot before even arriving at the venue. No comparison, son.

It's different when you have a ride for everything as opposed to when you're the one doing the actual driving.

But if you get one up and running then I'll definitely support it 100%.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Neo have you ever run a tourney before

I will support you 100% if you want to work it out, ill provide all the needed equipment (tio, livestream, tvs, wiis) and I'm sure vg would help as well

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
The venue can hold numbers well into the thousands. We had over 100 people there in total and the place still felt and looked empty. It is like 48000 square feet. I would certainly like to hold more events there.

**Havok**

Smash Lord
Omni, the only way I figured to get good at this game was to seek out where the majority of the competition is -the better players location.

I drive a carpool about 3 hrs every or every other weekend to attend the socal locals, we just split up costs for gas on every trip. On the larger ones same thing goes on, eat minimally, crash with other smashers and voila you got a cheap weekend.

And keep in mind I am (was) a struggling student, have a woman who sucks my money and still have gas to pay. If I can do it, so can md/va.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I couldn't make it unless i got rides, needs to be metro accessible if it's a regional, yo.

But still, it sounds like a shame if it's such a good venue. I wish i was closer cause they hold tournaments for several other games i play/would like to play competitively.

B0NK

Smash Lord
^^^ Regional doesn't really need to be metro accessible (since the whole point of a regional is people from all of atlantic north are driving out of there way to the tourney)

For locals though, I can understand that, but remember that a good part of MD/VA lives out of metro access anyway. (Basically anyone that doesn't live right next to the beltway >.<)

also metal is doing everything right, right price, right venue, etc.

Just needs some assistance in hyping the tourney, and probably making the bracket.

Main problem with the last one for brawl though was it being the same weekend as Ktar, otherwise he shouldn't have a problem bringing in numbers.

The location isn't perfect, but finding venues for the right price (for both the TOs and attendees) is difficult in the beltway area (the ideal location).

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
If Melee happens I will go.

Complaining about traveling through VA/MD when you live in VA/MD is pretty dumb for a major imo...

KageMurphy

Smash Master
I'll help you host a huge one day event, I've actually got some pretty damn neat ideas I hope to talk to Kenny about for the next WoodBridge, I'm innovative. PM anytime Metal.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
Neo. You don't even have a consistent mode of transportation.

Go for it. No one's stopping you.
what does that have to do with this thread specifically you salty *** *****?

NOID - your talking is ALSO not ANY help

keep pointing the finger, it isn't doing ****

D

Deleted member

And keep in mind I am (was) a struggling student, have a woman who sucks my money and still have gas to pay. If I can do it, so can md/va.
it's not a matter of ability, it's a matter of desire. they just don't want it as bad as you do/did. it's definitely one of the major sources of the MD/VA identity crisis with smash. That and being unable to pick one game over the other.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
what does that have to do with this thread specifically you salty *** *****?

NOID - your talking is ALSO not ANY help

keep pointing the finger, it isn't doing ****
Get your womanly, over-sensitive *** in order. You're making me sick.

Driving has a lot to do with anything smash-related. People don't go to tournaments because they can't drive, or it's too far/expensive to warrant the experience. Because it happens to be me that points it out that obvious fact you get salty? Word.

Furthermore, how are you going to help organize and run a tournament when you can't even help people physically? This isn't finger-pointing blaming bull****, or salty *** spam because clearly it seems you're the only one offended.

Sit down, cool your head and get real. It takes more than just securing a date, venue and equipment. There's a lot of physical work involved, often involving a player to totally ignore competing in the events themselves in order to run them. There's advertising which would involve a lot of active, continual participation on the boards, physically being there to contract with the venue, making sure the financials are in order (look at what happened to Pound and what's happening to CoT. Unforeseen mishaps may occur. You not being readily available to answer to them can be catastrophic.)

Honestly? It looks like this thread was your way of saying "HEY GUYS! LET'S DO SOMETHING!" with no real substance to back it up. Have you ever looked at what VGBC does? While I do have complaints from time to time about their TOing, I acknowledge the hard work, usually without compensation or profit of any sort, that they do. The TIME and MONEY they spend securing equipment for a venue alone is absurd.

"No one's stopping you."

No one has ever stopped anyone from running a tournament. The hard work from running a tournament deters people enough. If you're trying to "inspire" people to run a tournament by making a thread about it, then again, "go for it." People need action though, not words. And you saying "I'm gonna discuss with metal about this" could have DEFINITELY been done without telling the world about it. Or are you just trying to make face like other fakes in this community? Because what I hate is when threads like this open up, die a couple weeks later and EVERYONE forgets about it. Are you really committed to this?

This ain't insulting. This isn't flaming or attacking. I would like to think I'm your friend and I know you personally. This is me telling you to check yourself.

inb4 ******** comeback followed by "afk" or "anyway back on topic" when this is on topic

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
EDIT - I just remembered NOID really enjoys debating over nonsense (via my random AIM convos with him), and I'm being equally as ******** lol.

More ideas/updates coming soon.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Should call it "Wow, people came"

Nah but yeah I'd def make it if you did something there.
Though i also said that for the past 2 events at this venue and failed to do so... this time i mean it!

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I am going to look into dates. Right now I am looking at December and May. I was always planning on "Gamer Paradise" to be an annual event. It went well considering no vendors, seminars, or bands (besides the chip music). Hopefully next year we will be able to have these things and have a much larger event.

So as of now I guess I have three venues
Gun Club
pros:
A lot of space
3 TVs come with the venue
Plenty of chairs
Food at the venue
Open
Mic system
Cons
Far away
no internet

Student Center
Pros:
A lot of space
Several TVs and projectors come with the venue
Plenty of chairs
Internet
Cons:
Far away
No food at venue (not a huge deal)
Mic system isn't readily available
Back room gets stuffy and cramped with thirty people
Bigger room doesn't have as many outlets
Can be troublesome to reserve a date due to a staff member having to supervise

ARCC
Pros:
Huge, much larger than the other venues
Plenty of chairs
Internet
Mic system
possible food on site
Open
With enough planning we pretty much can get whatever we need within reason.
Cons
Very Difficult to reserve as we are last on the list to get a date and faculty needs to supervise
Food staff are whiney and a pain to get
Looks empty with even 100 people which isn't appealing to the media (not a huge deal to you guys)
Far away

I certainly would like to see a national occur at the venue. If you guys would hype it up that would be great.

Takeover1806

Smash Champion
MD/VA Regionals aka Xanadu, Pound, Critical Hit, etc. have always been in pretty well-centered areas.

And lol @ traveling 10+ hours for tournaments. **** cost mad money, I'm sure. Gas on a 10+ hr drive = being $200 negative into the pot before even arriving at the venue. No comparison, son.

It's different when you have a ride for everything as opposed to when you're the one doing the actual driving.

But if you get one up and running then I'll definitely support it 100%.
Omni ugghh you make me sick.

First you want md/va to get better and *****ing about people being so lazy to get better to travel to your HTC. Now your complaining how out the way it is for not only you, but other smashers. smh :mad:

We're suppose to stay on the positive note. :)

TBH I said the same thing the first time I came here. I even suggested to Tant how great of an idea it would be if we hosted a regional or a national here. This venue is mad ****. Has food and space in the venue and is a very chill spot for smashers to hang out at.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Metal, why don't we get a local going at the gun club. You are certainly blessed with locals. Anything I've hyped in the past has been successful there. That would be great to get people warmed up, then they can get a taste of what to expect from a regional.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
NOID: I think what Neo is trying to say is that the venue is huge and awesome but the event turned out to be small and could easily be overlooked and forgotten. Neo wants to make sure that doesn't happen. Maybe he could have gone about planning everything through PMs, but I won't complain about the positive word of mouth.

I find it funny how different people are talking about different venues. Tant and kage were talking about the student center, Takeover seems to be talking about the gun club, and Neo is talking about the ARCC.

I like Tant's idea, run small events at the other two venues throughout the year to build people up and get them excited about the big one.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Do what you can. But don't raise expectations and then let people down. In other words, don't say you're going to do something and then not do it if those actions would have affected people and those people were expecting it? (Now I'm just sounding like legal jargon.)

Anyway, there are obviously smashers here who haven't learned that lesson of etiquette.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
You are sounding like legal jargon, and I don't know why you think it's your place to state everything, it isn't. I have gone over some small details/ideas with metal but I don't have anything concrete yet because I'm going to do a little more research before everything is solid.

From what we've discussed, my main concern is making sure whichever way we decide to run the event, ZERO money/equipment is lost.

I also like Tant's idea.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Wenbo, that could easily be done and I can easily multi TO with help.

Im glad you all like my idea. I have a big thought for all this actually NEO, Metal, EE, etc.

Let me think about it and get it written down and i'll talk to you all about it

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Just wondering about the gun club, is that the same place we had Aftershock 2 at? I liked that venue ... even if it's a little far it's well within the range of what I'd be willing to travel to for a local

Also if you guys host something for Melee consider talking to Sypher about making it count for power rankings
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=300912

Aposl

Smash Ace
VGBC would be down to partner in this event, we have decided to run about 10 locals a year at this point, all with hype, trying to make big attendance, more during summer, less during the rest of the year. So pm me with the details and we can get started organizing this event, I would be very pleased to work with NE, EE, and tant with promoting this event. If we all pull our favors, and get oos to come, I am sure it could be ridiculous!

...and when I say local, I mean in md/va, not just a local event, sorry for any confusion

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
i dont even know if i want this to be a VGBC event because all your streams are whack, tbh

Aposl

Smash Ace
we are working on some tight stuff for our stream, a program to add alot of overlays, better quality etc... An we are going to have more organized commentators, but our steams aren't "whack."

I am going to end this before there is an argument, if you want to help us become better, please create a constructive critique in list format, of improvements you would like to see. Also if I already addressed them in the above list, be very detailed in response since we are working on thoses specifics atm.

Thank you for your input, and we hope to rid ourselves of all "whack" from our future streams.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Never thought VG had weak streams, at least not when they have some good internet to work with, don't know where that shot game from.

Top Bottom