• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MD/VA Melee Tournaments

rhan

Smash Hero
boycotting VA tourneys because of the cops is sorta dumb

ill agree with you, virginia's legal system is messed up and they are arseholes, but id be disappointed when i host a tourney and no one from OOS comes simply because of the state i live in. a better thought would be to learn to be a better driver
QFT/E

i was going 85 in a 55.. traffic was moving at at least 80 but i got boned, suspension for 90 days.
What's funny, ever since I got my license, I haven't went less than 65 MPH. I live on route 17 and basically speed up and down the strip the entire time. Haven't been caught or pulled over yet. Even passed by a cop on the back roads going 60ish in a 45. He apparently didn't care to turn around and stop me. :/

Moral of story: Drive through Gloucester. We got lazy red neck cops.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
they get enough money off domestic disputes, they dont need to collect speeding tickets

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Speed in cities, not in small towns. Small town cops need their money, they stop everyone they can.

Also, alright, I'll look into the 10th, should know today or tomorrow.

edit: the 10th it is. Thread's up.

also, Azen posting in a melee topic? lolwut?

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I am holding one on October 4th at the club. Last time I tried Melee only G-reg entered and the several people that said they would come for Melee didn't even show up. Then on the survey that I ask people to fill out several people wanted to see Melee at an event. So I decided to add it again.

Hopefully this time there will be more participation. So yeah if anyone can help out with the hype that would be great. I really don't want to have to cancel Melee again.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=247518

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
hagerstown is SO far away for a lot of people (not me) but yeah..thats why

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
hagerstown is SO far away for a lot of people (not me) but yeah..thats why
It is like an hour to 2 hours away for most people it seems. It is far away but I think the "SO" was a bit much. We are like right on the border of PA so I try encourage those players to come.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Yeah i hear ya, it's only like 25 mins for me it's just that most of our community doesnt have a car, though i wish they did. ill try to get peoplez to come

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Those that drive need to setup a carpool system. It is really beneficial to both parties. The drivers get gas money so they can go to more tournaments and the passengers get a ride to tournaments.

I wish I had lots of spare time, then I could start all these cool projects that I would like to do and that I feel would be very beneficial to our region.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I am not boycotting VA tournaments for the whole tristate, just for me. I don't like going further south than MD cause the cops/traffic BLOW in VA and it goes from like 2 - 2.5 hours to 3 and 3.5 and thats just a lot for me personally especially when it can turn to 4 with traffic there will most likely be at ANY time of day in VA. Your more than welcome to do tournies in VA as oppose to MD but I think MD is a much better middle ground for our two regions to meetup and play melee. Not to mention tristate only has like 3 or 4 consistent drivers and 3 of them are banned or unwilling to drive that far (me) so I was just suggesting MD over VA cause it would be better/easier for everyone. But if va starts pumping out 80 person monthlies in VA their bans will lift eventually and I'll give in cause I remember those old c3's and they were worth the drive even tho it was really far.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
offer drugs and booze at a tournament and you will get ALL of MD/VA XD
Not for free but there is a bar at the venue lol. Even funnier is the fact that I don't think I have seen anyone get Alcohol at either of the last two tournaments, yet everyone seems to love the food.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
see what happens when weed is invovled

im straight edge and I noticed like at a tournament ALL of MD/VA smoked up. IT was like WTF.

If MD/VA hung out with Lain the world would end.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I am not boycotting VA tournaments for the whole tristate, just for me. I don't like going further south than MD cause the cops/traffic BLOW in VA and it goes from like 2 - 2.5 hours to 3 and 3.5 and thats just a lot for me personally especially when it can turn to 4 with traffic there will most likely be at ANY time of day in VA. Your more than welcome to do tournies in VA as oppose to MD but I think MD is a much better middle ground for our two regions to meetup and play melee. Not to mention tristate only has like 3 or 4 consistent drivers and 3 of them are banned or unwilling to drive that far (me) so I was just suggesting MD over VA cause it would be better/easier for everyone. But if va starts pumping out 80 person monthlies in VA their bans will lift eventually and I'll give in cause I remember those old c3's and they were worth the drive even tho it was really far.
Come to SSIV! We're MD, got a decent amount of people already interested, including HBK, DJN, etc.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Whatever you can round up would be great Plank. Chinesahh doesn't want to be the only one there for Melee. I know a few local players who play melee so I might try to get them to come. Dunno how well that will work out since most of them know they will get *****. Herf and I will probably enter. I am not sure if Greg or Jove are interested in coming or not.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
bump

This is an important topic. MDVA needs to get ****ing centralized and we shouldn't stop talking about it :(

If things are planned well in advance I'm willing to promote attendance.

D20

Smash Lord
When C3 hosted Melee, there were times when western PA and Ohio would even show up. If you guys could get 40-50 players for these events again, I guarantee 2-3 cars from Pittsburgh and Ohio would make the trip.

Jove

Smash Journeyman
honestly, im up for hosting a melee tournament, and my house can hold 10-15 people. just people have to tell me whether or not theyre willing to come all the way out to chantilly for a tourney and i would need someone to help me host it (chinesah said he would help though)

so just tell me whether chantilly is a yes or no and ill start getting my house ready

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
yeah it would have to be announced like, ahead of time. and c3 is kinda a lame area. i could prob get a decent one going in frederick since its further west for ohio/pa heads

g-regulate

Smash Hero
thumbs and rico and all them said that C3 cost too much money and that they just wanted to smashfest somewhere instead.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
just spoc in NJ, around here i think not. i had to work z.z

maybe i can go to chus on halloween....

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Chinesahh wants to try and have a big Melee tournament before pound 4. Hopefully more information on that will be revealed soon.

Top Bottom