• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MD/VA Melee Tournaments

chinesahh

Smash Lord
As all of you know, Pound 4 is approaching. Players from Canada, Cali, and Europe are confirmed to come. MD/VA used to be the best in the nation, but today I can't say that. What do we need? Tournaments.

Recently in MD/VA there are no actual melee tournaments. Sure, there are Chu's biweeklies, but attendance lacks because he hosts them on Friday @ 6:30 (chu is addicted to that brawl game). There are also Sypher's biweeklies, but the atmosphere is more smashfest oriented. Sypher's can get 20+ people, as well as Chu's, and these are BIWEEKLIES. Think if we promoted and ran an actual tournament?

If anyone can find a venue I can help hype and run it, so guys give me some feedback.

Jove

Smash Journeyman
hey ive been thinking about hosting a tourney at my place fora long time. it can hold 10-15 people and i agree that smashfests get boring after a while, i like tournaments alot better as well.

so just tell me if youd all be willing to drive over to chantilly, because if you are then i will be happy to host some **** at my house

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
im looking for a venue in frederick but its tough, though ill ALWAYS travel to good melee tournies ^^;;

let's look at our attendence just from md/va for a melee tourney if we ACTUALLY planned ahead.

plank
g-reg
chu
chillin
azen
chinesah
chred
thumbs
shinku
ee
wife
jove
krn red
sypher
redd
CK
boss
ZM
bizy
doll
llod
cyrain
tope
kirbstir
smashgod
hat
skyheart
btree
woj
omni
nelo
vist
rei
twig

who am i forgetting?

why doesnt anyone host melee tournies then? all these people have been seen at tournies recently, so we arent even inactive, just always spread out.

That's just a 35 person core not to count randoms/people who havent been showing up to melee. NJ/PA people im sure would come too.

oh i forgot about yo okin and isra also. maybe if the scene was decent other old players would come back too like fonz/aho/KM???

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I might start entering Melee tourneys again too. Not gonna go too far out of my way for Melee but if I'm already there for Brawl+ or something, I'll enter.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
My place can hold alot of heads. probably 50+ All of my outlets are doubled

I got a deck in the backyard with 2 plugs, so you can double up on surge suppresor extention with.
Basement has 6 plugs in the entertainment room
My Basement Dining room has 5 plugs, (But has furniture for my mom in it)
My Library has 4 but (But this is more of a spot to chill fairly small due to furniture in the way.
A spare room in the basement (resonable size But I don't know what lurks back there now...o_o)
4 plugs in the (smaller) entertainment room (Also downstairs, faily large space)
I have a flat screen upstairs. and two open bedrooms for over flow

I can also get folding chairs from my church I'm sure.
I dunno should I post pics ?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
That's straight, i feel like we should find an actual VENUE though. All these house/apartment tournies we are losing the actual tourney feel which attracts people so well!

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
That's straight, i feel like we should find an actual VENUE though. All these house/apartment tournies we are losing the actual tourney feel which attracts people so well!
Yeah, I see what your saying. We need like a convention center or something. Something official

rhan

Smash Hero
Me and a friend plan on reviving the "SoVA Baby" tourneys. Strictly Melee (With maybe a Brawl side setup in the corner). But I couldn't really think of a date for it. Either before or after Pound 4. So if I could possibly get some feedback on wheather people from NoVA/MD or where ever are interested, I'll start getting things straight now. :)

g-regulate

Smash Hero
theres a poolhouse by my house (Leesburg, VA), the going rate is $30 every 4 hours, so i can see about maybe getting a noon til midnight session for $90, charge a $5 venue fee, and 20 people would easily pay it off. all i would need is televisions and gamecubes. (possibly chairs)

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
yeah that'd be tight as long as ppl could get there which they should be able to... i should be able to provide a cockton of tvs

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
On a side note lol master is coming to play at CP today, come play him, he's awesome. I by awesome i mean the best troll ever besides EE.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Dude i totally forgot doh is here, and isra and tant and jcaes and tons of just random *** people. im gonna try to figure something out, we need tournies. weve got sooo many ppl.

chinesahh

Smash Lord
seriously even tournaments in houses is fine by me. if ANYONE is willing to host a tournament, i say go for it. Just pm me with the details and i'll get on that ****

btw thanks for the input guys

JFox

Smash Hero
tri-state would absolutely support MD/VA tourneys if they were decent sized and we were given notice. We're always lookin for competition. Our area kinda took over as the best area in melee ever since brawl came out, so you guys have plenty of catchin up to do.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Well MD/VA is ALWAYS invited to saffron you guys should def come up to my tournaments :(

Eggm

Smash Hero
I will bring cars of tristaters to your guys tournaments as long as its in MD. Virgina's cops and traffic blows and I vowed to never go lower than MD for tournaments ever again. xD Plus 2 of tristates drivers like the ones who bring everyone to everything are currently banned from driving by the police in VA (scar, g$). In short Virgina blows so if you guys want Tristate support find venues in MD (its a lot closer to tristate anyway).

Edit : Oh yeah, and good luck guys I hope you get back into melee. Md/va back in the day was my favorite place by far to play melee.

Scar

#HarveyDent
i will go to any and all md tournies that offer 25+ man singles brackets

i am banned from virginia (thx eggm) so md is the farthest i can go without like getting picked up LOLZ

but yeah for now i hope to see md/va at smashpocalypse in philly 10/17

g-regulate

Smash Hero
I will bring cars of tristaters to your guys tournaments as long as its in MD. Virgina's cops and traffic blows and I vowed to never go lower than MD for tournaments ever again. xD Plus 2 of tristates drivers like the ones who bring everyone to everything are currently banned from driving by the police in VA (scar, g$). In short Virgina blows so if you guys want Tristate support find venues in MD (its a lot closer to tristate anyway).

Edit : Oh yeah, and good luck guys I hope you get back into melee. Md/va back in the day was my favorite place by far to play melee.
why is scar banned from driving in virginia? will you seriously not drive the extra 20-30 minutes into virginia because of a grudge vs Virginia cops? it's my understanding that G$ was driving like well over 100 MPH when he got thrown in jail (correct me if im wrong), would that not happen in any other state? sorry i gotta stand up for my state, the home of H2YL and TA and tons of melee talent; boycotting VA tourneys because of the cops is sorta dumb

ill agree with you, virginia's legal system is messed up and they are arseholes, but id be disappointed when i host a tourney and no one from OOS comes simply because of the state i live in. a better thought would be to learn to be a better driver

Scar

#HarveyDent
i was going 85 in a 55.. traffic was moving at at least 80 but i got boned, suspension for 90 days.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i sympathize with you scar, i really do because i love you

scar and G$'s blatent speeding problems just HAPPENED to be in virginia

Scar

#HarveyDent
lol it wasn't that bad, i thought it was a 65 so like 80 in a 65 is not that bad, and then the ******* must have gotten me going downhill or something

i could swear to god i never hit 80 the whole trip but he was like yeah radar got you at 85

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Can we get some tournaments up and running soon? I need money to like...eat and stuff.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
It's just really hard to find a venue at a decent price/in a good location.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
When would be a good time to hold another Shell Shocked? Name a date and I'll nab it. I don't know all the tristate tourneys and such, only that spoc is on the 17th and RoM2 is sometime in november, maybe october 10th? I can guarentee we'll hit 25+, considering we already have half that number living on campus who would attend XD.

I expect that whatever date I hold it on we should nab a bunch of the people on plank's list lol

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
10th would be cool, a nice warm up for SPOC, plus we could all organize rideshares and stuff

Top Bottom