• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread Export: Snake

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
i hate RC.
it's not that great imo. i always get randomly gayed there.

i try to mindgame a snake player into striking up to lylat usually.
and i go with delfino as a cp, i also like brinstar but it's not as good as delfino to me here.

lou4222

Smash Lord
Something to think about in this matchup.

I noticed that Zac said that he loves lylat against snake, and not so much FD and Smashville. I used to thinkt he same thing. I have been playing Nope and Infern Angelis a lot recently and am beginning to change my mind.

Nope is in my crew and we play all the time. Recently we have been playing a lot on FD. I used to hate it because of the stereotype that this level is great for Snake. I am beginning to LOVE this map against Snake. IMO levels with plats hinder this matchup. Usually plats are great for GW because of his nair and tech chase abilities. I have found that platforms against snake are no good. Usually they just camp under plats and throw grenades, or set explosives on them so you cant get to him. Also plats completely take away your Dair. The Dair is one of GW best moves. I HATE not being able to use it because of plats. Also plats enable snake an easy way out of geting juggled. On FD there is no where for snake to go when he is in the air. There are also a lot of mind games by baiting out the air dodge and punishing with a smash attack when they hit the ground. The final reason I am beginning to love FD vs Snake is GW lives forever. It seems like the only way I die is to U tilt. I rarely die from grenades, f tilt etc because the map is so big. GW has strong enough moves that Snake dies regardless of how large the level is.

I was just curious if anyone else liked FD, or have even tried it against Snake. It is good if you play it enough and learn some tricks. Let me know what you guys think.

Vinnie

Smash Master

How do you expect to get around his tech chases?

How do you expect to juggle him with no platforms?

How do you expect to not get hit by his grenade when you air dodge / dair back to the ground?

How do you expect to kill Snake with large boundaries?

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3

How do you expect to not get hit by his grenade when you air dodge / dair back to the ground?

seconded.

FD is just a no-can do vs snake for all those reasons listed above.

and PGN, LOL
amazing last kill on ally there. too good.

lou4222

Smash Lord

1) Up B right away. Up B gets you out of it with no harm.

2) Juggling is easy. Wait for the air dodge,jump up and Nair and then uair and repeat the same process. There are no plats to get in the way. And then you can go off this and bait it out and get free smashes on the ground.

3) ? This has never been a problem. I guess if it was slow fall the key, and immediately fast fall it before you get to the ground. It is a great mind game. More room helps you avoid grenades anyways.

4) GW never has problems killing no matter what the boundaries. A sweet spot down smash, U smash, or F smash will still kill at 110 easy. The only kill move affected is forward air. The large boundaries help you out by allowing GW to out live everything longer but U tilt.

Plats just get in the way. Yes you lose some ability to juggle, but plats also screw you against snake. If you are on a plat below snake you are screwed. C 4s and proxy mines on plats also make it tough to get around. I guess its just personal preference.

Im just trying to say after thinking it sucked forever, I realized it is actually really good.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
4) GW never has problems killing no matter what the boundaries. A sweet spot down smash, U smash, or F smash will still kill at 110 easy. The only kill move affected is forward air. The large boundaries help you out by allowing GW to out live everything longer but U tilt.
you wont hit someone with a smash usually at high levels of play.
especially on a snake.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
FD is terrible versus Snake.
That's really all that needs to be said; go Lylat/BF/YI instead, or at least SV.

edit: good job PGN!

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
landing a smash on FD seems impossible lol
all of his killing moves revolve around pressuring your opponent into them or driving them in a corner

snake has too much space to be safe on FD to camp,and he has no need to approach G&W
you'll find yourself chasing him around the stage most of the time,getting your % racked up

on the other hand, a stage like lylat is perfect because he can't camp easily and you can use the plats to approach him safely.

it's game and watch 101 people :smash:

edit:goo job PGN :D

Vinnie

Smash Master
woot :]. I wanted that last match so badly, it was on Halberd. It went down to my 2 stock 103% to his 1 stock 0%, but I messed up, I'll never forgive myself >_<.

lou4222

Smash Lord
I play on high levels of play, and landing smash attacks happens more often than you think. How else do you kill snake? Fair every single time?

But I just thought Id throw it out there. In friendlies sometime just give FD a shot. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Vinnie

Smash Master
I play on high levels of play, and landing smash attacks happens more often than you think. How else do you kill snake? Fair every single time?

But I just thought Id throw it out there. In friendlies sometime just give FD a shot. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Just trust me on this, it's really bad. Nothing good comes from it, nothing. :p

How exactly would you land the smash? A snake isnt going to jump into the air and air dodge into it, he's not going to get grabbed, and he's likely to not go offstage.

lou4222

Smash Lord
Just trust me on this, it's really bad. Nothing good comes from it, nothing. :p

How exactly would you land the smash? A snake isnt going to jump into the air and air dodge into it, he's not going to get grabbed, and he's likely to not go offstage.
I agree with you, they arent going to jump in the air, but certainly they go in the air after you hit them. He wont willingly jump off the stage, but you can knock him off the stage, and grabbing snakes isnt impossible. It happens all the time. Throw up all the time.

That is when the mind games begin. Since there are no plats you can up air them all day to juggle. When they air dodge, wait for it and right when its over go and nuetral air them. After this is done a few times wait for the air dodge and up smash them. It works ALL of the time. It makes sense. Try it. I promise.

Also, not every snake is like Ally, Razer, etc. They make mistakes. Predict their mortar slide and throw out the match. I agree landing smashs is hard, but its not impossible. Smashes are easiest to land when they air air dodge and land on smashes because there are no plats to save them

Like I said this might just be personal preference. I used to think like you Vinnie. Then I started playing a lot of friendlies vs a high level snake and I was able to do some nice things. But with that my "FD vs Snake" campaign is over

Vinnie

Smash Master
Also, not every snake is like Ally, Razer, etc. They make mistakes.
Then I started playing a lot of friendlies vs a high level snake and I was able to do some nice things.
Our goal is to try to defeat top level snakes as gnw, not randomsnakeuserX. No discredit to you, I just want to know exactly where you're coming from... I'm sorry I'm being annoying about this, but how exactly would you approach him?

lou4222

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S7NpWcR9ZI

This video was taken about two months ago.

This was game two after I stomped Infern game one. I play decent but make a ton of mistakes. I didnt know what I know now about punishing snakes in the air. Notice every time I back air it pops him up. This leaves for countless opportunities to mix it up, deal damage, and have them air dodge on to up smashes.

Infern is no scrub either. He has always been on Ohio's power rankings, finishes top 9 at circuits and top 4 in state events.

Nope is another Snake around the same level. He is in my crew. We play all the time and that is who I have been playing on FD and finding out all of the possibilities. IMO like I said plats get in the way vs Snake and allow him to build grenade C4 and Proxy walls.

Keep in mind I made a lot of mistakes and didnt know much about how to play Snake on this map during this match.

Vinnie

Smash Master
I guess it's personal preference. I'm still striking and banning this stage vs Snake, always.

Anyways guys, my matches vs Zucco, Lucario ranked top 5 in nj, are going to be up. I had no idea how to fight Lucario... x_x. First match he gave me the business. First stock he killed me in the matter of a minute, then piled on damage. After that, I wasn't really focusing on winning as much as I was focusing on how he'd react to some things I did, so it ended up in him like 2 stocking me at very low %, maybe even a jv 3 stock lmao.

Match 2 was Brinstar, it was last hit but I pulled out the win.

I banned Yoshi's because Lucario just ***** there in general, and he has many recovery options... he takes me to FD, and he's at 2 stock high % and I'm at 1 stock high %, I manage to bring him down to 1 stock 85% or whatever, but then I die at some absurd %.

Lucario's so ****ing annoying, lol.

sovietzero

Smash Rookie
I guess it's personal preference. I'm still striking and banning this stage vs Snake, always.

Anyways guys, my matches vs Zucco, Lucario ranked top 5 in nj, are going to be up. I had no idea how to fight Lucario... x_x. First match he gave me the business. First stock he killed me in the matter of a minute, then piled on damage. After that, I wasn't really focusing on winning as much as I was focusing on how he'd react to some things I did, so it ended up in him like 2 stocking me at very low %, maybe even a jv 3 stock lmao.

Match 2 was Brinstar, it was last hit but I pulled out the win.

I banned Yoshi's because Lucario just ***** there in general, and he has many recovery options... he takes me to FD, and he's at 2 stock high % and I'm at 1 stock high %, I manage to bring him down to 1 stock 85% or whatever, but then I die at some absurd %.

Lucario's so ****ing annoying, lol.
........................ johns :D

izzy24

Smash Ace
Idk if its being said but when they r falling u can charge a dsmash and wait for them to air dodge....or if they lyk to do the b-sticking granade pull, u can mindgame them into a usmash, just go the opposite direction they r facing :)

VaJaJ

Smash Cadet
^^^^^ not to be rude but that's been said and done.

Camping snake seems to work really well and I think we are only at a disadvantage when we approach snake too much and up-b is the best move u can do in most up close situations. Snakes up air is really good(gay) because there's invisible hitboxes on the sides of his bad during this attack... so don't get gayed by this!!!!

Lightning Tiger

Smash Apprentice
Up B OoS gets ride of Nades.
So Does Up Air.
Avoiding nades isn't that hard just stay in the air.

When off stage abuse your up b. invinc frames will go through snakes up smash. (0:37)

Never. Ever. EVER. Bair into his shield with he's got a grenade.
Just airdodge through or jump away. Its not worth it.
MOAR Grabs. Less Bair. Avoid his nades make him impatient.
Plank to make him impatient. You have to be super careful with snake. A single mistake will cost you a stock. DI Out of all his nair as fast as you can. (DI Up and away)

The correct DI for Snake's uptilt is behind him. BE PATIENT + PAY ATTENTION TO WHERE HIS EXPLOSIVES ARE. (nades, c4, mine, etc)
or else you'll just get *****. Sit around. Bacon some. with your back facing him, the second you see him DACUS bair/fair/FH Dair/d tilt/ upb.
Its your choice of punishment.

Noraa

Smash Lord
my theory in this MU is....if he aint in the air then you aint going to win. Also the whole charge a dsmash when there falling, most snakes will just bair you so yeah. You can also fair his gernades with out them blowing up.

D

Deleted member 189823

I thought this MU would be something like 45-55 because Snake is slow and gaw's B-Air outranges all his melee attacks.

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
I thought this MU would be something like 45-55 because Snake is slow and gaw's B-Air outranges all his melee attacks.
But as has been stated, grenades and the ridiculous amount of priority in almost all of snake's attacks can effectively negate our b-air.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
This matchup is like 55:45ish to 60:40ish in between there

This is outdated

We juggle, Punish bad landings, and Edgeguard hard

he Utilts.

D

Deleted member 189823

How do we edgeguard? As far as I know, you can use D-Tilt, D-Air, N-Air and bacon and eggs.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
This matchup is like 55:45ish to 60:40ish in between there

This is outdated

We juggle, Punish bad landings, and Edgeguard hard

he Utilts.
What? This feels more like a 40:60 matchup for me. =\ You really exaggerated his options and ours. It's a lot easier to do what you said on paper.

EDIT: When he's recovering you can use uair, bacon and eggs is lol. It doesn't hit hard enough to go through his super armor from cypher.
Use dair, fair and side b to punish him in cypher, watch for airdodges, grab him out of cypher if he's dumb enough to recover too close to the stage, and if you can guess which way he's going to DI C4 then you can stage spike him/get a free hit/footstool.

Top Bottom