• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Rediscussion: Zelda vs Game and Watch

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Like we've established, his air-to-ground game wrecks us... I do better on stages where there are more platforms to act as sheilds against his falling aerials.
It depends on the platform, but Game & Watch can still hit your head with a Dair on some levels if you're beneath one.

AzNfinesse

Smash Journeyman
Any stages that he does badly on? Let's discuss them.
Luigi's Mansion is probably the most viable CP stage against Gdubs. It increases your survivability chance, and you can refresh your attacks on the pillars. Another good choice would be either Japes or Castle Seige. The main focus is to give yourself enough room to avoid being caught in the air and punishing his mistakes (which is difficult to do in the first place).

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Luigi's Mansion is probably the most viable CP stage against Gdubs. It increases your survivability chance, and you can refresh your attacks on the pillars. Another good choice would be either Japes or Castle Seige. The main focus is to give yourself enough room to avoid being caught in the air and punishing his mistakes (which is difficult to do in the first place).
mansion is normally banned, so we can't even count on that stage, i bet he can still screw with us by Bairing anyway, and theres no room to run under him and Usmash him out of it.

japes is a horrible place to pick against G@W. bucket braking means that unless your landing a LK of Fsmash, hes not dying for a very very long time due to that, also water is >>>>>>>>>Zelda.

idk about CS, never fought G@W there.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
on those stages, we can still hit him with Usmash or falling Uair through the platform

@Jiggly: Agreed. Never take him to japes.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
mansion is normally banned
And even if it wasn´t, G&W´s bucket braking pretty much prevents him from dying. For this MU I really think LM isn´t her best stage. Rather go to somewhere with lots of platforms like sonic said. Not Norfair, though. It´s too big and makes it too easy for him to abuse his aerials.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
norfair isn't even funny either. all he needs to do is get to the bottom of it and your sol. she can kinda do the same thing, but he can actually get in if she gets there first, and it doesn't work in the reverse. : /

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Battlefeild and lylat are examples of good stages with nice platform cover.

While I generally hate lylat, the tilting stage can also make his spacing upon landing with an aerial out more difficult for him.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Lylat could also let him get below Zelda easier. It all down to luck which player gets more out of the tilting stage.

Sadly his recovery doesn´t get gimped there.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
no to lylat? I would pick battlefield first, but I wouldn't coult lylat out.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I know this matchup is absolutely awful lol! But numbers anyways please! How does this matchup go?

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I don´t know... maybe 20:80. 30:70 just seems a bit optimistic to me since G&W is (arguably) her worst matchup.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Oh gosh, I'm not used to dealing with numbers this far apart. :urg:

25:75. I'll go in the middle. It really is an awful matchup.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I say 30:70 because, put into practice, he probably isn't worse than Snake... who I think is more deserving of a 20:80.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Oh gosh, I'm not used to dealing with numbers this far apart. :urg:
Not that problem with Pika I guess...

I say 30:70 because, put into practice, he probably isn't worse than Snake... who I think is more deserving of a 20:80.
Much of it depends on the player. Different people find different characters hard to fight against. At least in my experience.

smash_you

Smash Rookie
It's such a pain when I'm trying to beat G&W with Zelda. His F-smash is just so irritating. I know it's pretty impossible, but how could you avoid those tentacles of his???

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
It's such a pain when I'm trying to beat G&W with Zelda. His F-smash is just so irritating. I know it's pretty impossible, but how could you avoid those tentacles of his???
Are you referring to his Final Smash? x.o

Competitive play doesn't use items.

MrEh, don't do it!!! Let him be!!!

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Normally I try and defend Zelda (as I'm sure SoR and MrEh will tell you), but I have to admit that this is a terrible matchup for Zelda.

First off, there's his aerial game. Seriously, Nair and Bair are bloody annoying! :mad: You can try to SDI out of Bair, but don't think you can outprioritise it. Din's Fire is much less useful this matchup because Mr. Game and Watch can simply collect them in his bucket, and you must neevr make it a full bucket, unless of course you enjoy losing.

And then there's his recovery. You can't gimp it if he does it right, because he can do any move (except up B again) afterwards, whereas he can easily gimp your recovery with Fair or Bair. He also has a great throw game, since if he pulls off DThrow, he gets a guaranteed DTilt or DSmash on you afterwards.

As if all this wasn't bad enough, he also has great killing power. FSmash is deadly and the hitbox lingers slightly, USmash is fast and just as deadly, and DSmash sends you at a horrible angle and is also pretty powerful. Unfortunately, even though he's extremely light, killing him isn't as easy as you may first think, due to bucket braking. So basically he can kills us early, and if he knows what to do we can't kill him as early.

So yeah, this is basically an awful matchup for Zelda overall. Hell, I'd say it's her worst in the entire game in fact. I'd say around 20:80. Basically, if you don't counterpick this matchup, then I would recommend getting your head checked.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
One saving grace of this is she rolls far away. Can he catch her... is the question.

G&Ws I play just throw me elsewhere anyway because of Zelda's roll.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Dub's Dthrow chase doesn't work well against Zelda, since she rolls freakishly far for some reason.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Dub's Dthrow chase doesn't work well against Zelda, since she rolls freakishly far for some reason.
juest means he'll have to bash us with some other strategy... it's not like he's lacking ways to beat up Zelda.

Top Bottom