• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Q&A: Ask Specific Character Matchup Questions Here

Striker X

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm trying to learn what to do against Oli and I saw ICs had a good MU vs him. I want to know how the MU should be played. Any help?

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Desynced Blizzard Wall shuts down 90% of his options, IIRC. Try to force the Olimar into approaching. If you get grabbed/pivot grabbed then have Nana do something ASAP like an F-Smash, if Nana gets grabbed you should do the same. Don't let him get you into the air. Not sure how safe his aerials are on shield, but if the Olimar tends to throw Fairs at your shield for some stupid reason, pretend he's Marth and just powershield > grab him.

Although Icies aren't really a character to pick up for one matchup, lol. You'll have more trouble just learning how to play them in general than you would if you used Marth or Falco, who also give Olimar trouble. Marth is probably the easier one to learn but he requires amazing spacing.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
SDI Everything (Not even kidding)

Like moves you'd benefit from having quality SDI variations:

Jab - Through
Rapid Jab - Through
Angel Ring - Through
Nair - Opposite Direction Pit is moving
Uair - Usually Up
Fsmash - Up and through
Utilt - Away and Down
Dsmash * ISSDI
Ftilt * ISSDI
Dtilt * ISSDI
Fair * ISSDI
Bair * ISSDI

Moves it doesn't really matter:
Retreating Dair

I'm willing to bet front side Dsmash and Ftilt are punishable on shield with dash grab, so the ISSDI on those might not matter as much as the other one's. Fyre more or less proved to me that Dtilt is broken as ****, but if they misspace it you can grab it which is where ISSDI would help.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
My region is on the verge of unbanning MK, and since my R.O.B. has such a lolbad matchup I'm gonna have to go Icies for one more character.
Can someone give like a general description of the MU, or a "flowchart" sort of thing? Or maybe point me to some videos?
I know obviously I have to get the CG down (which I've basically already done), and random tidbits like pivot grab beats Nado, but what other stuff? What stage should I go to, assuming they ban FD? Things like that.

B0NK

Smash Lord
lol @ "pivot grab beats nado"

Nothing is flow chart-like for the MK match-up. It's anything but simple xD;

Good luck, MK is easily IC's worst match-up =P But you're right about one thing, it's not nearly as bad as ROB vs MK LOL!!!!

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I'm in luck, the tourney is MK Banned.

Although I still need help with the Falco matchup, since like 5 people on my PR play him. Any general tips?

DrPepper

Smash Rookie
Any advice on the Diddy matchup? I dont even know where to begin with fighting him

| Big D |

Smash Master
^ When Diddy has nanas, try and bait the throw and shield them. If you can play keep away with the nanas, you should be at an advantage. Don't let diddy get a grab, throw out some sort of hitbox like nair because Diddy likes to separate the climbers with their side bs as well. A lot of ICs like to use throw nana > ice block for a grab setup but from my experience, once they catch on it's better just to keep the nanas away. However you can use nanas to catch landings and get grabs of reads or just in a ruckus.

Nair works to pick up nanas of the ground.

Anyways, how do I deal with a Yoshi that double jump nairs me all the time? It's annoying because he just lands on the platform, if I throw out a hitbox he just super armours it and if I try and shield and punish I'm at a huge risk of getting baired or just eating another nair. I'll have a vid up tomorrow.

DeLux

Ice Shot as a spacing tool destroys Lucas if you know how to use it

Most Lucas players hate YIB and Lylat, which is good since it means you can now tripless CG them via hobble.

DrPepper

Smash Rookie
How do you fight against pikachu? And are there any good videos of this matchup and the Diddy matchup that i should watch?

D

Deleted member

Congrats on our icies and plus 3 on the tier list but uhm... Ive got a 2 questions

Is having a TL and Kirby as your other mains helpful for the Ice climber matchups? and am I weird for using F throw rather than D throw in my infinites?

Sieguest

Smash Master
Congrats on our icies and plus 3 on the tier list but uhm... Ive got a 2 questions

Is having a TL and Kirby as your other mains helpful for the Ice climber matchups? and am I weird for using F throw rather than D throw in my infinites?
I also use TL with my ICs and it works out pretty well for me. Similar enough that you can transfer over a similar playstyle but different enough that you can appreciate what one does that the other can't. TL seems to have a easier time of dealing with projectile happy characters than ICs IMO so I tend to enjoy that.

DeLux

Ice Shot as a spacing tool destroys Ike if you know how to use it

Anyways, how do I deal with a Yoshi that double jump nairs me all the time? It's annoying because he just lands on the platform, if I throw out a hitbox he just super armours it and if I try and shield and punish I'm at a huge risk of getting baired or just eating another nair. I'll have a vid up tomorrow.
Ice Shot as a spacing tool destroys Yoshi if you know how to use it

*updated OP. Please stop asking Marth questions until you read the discussion on him lol

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Hey, umm I'm asking this for my friend since he never checks to place but my and my friend have a offline team of using our secondaries Lucas(Me) and Ic's (Him)

The main reason is because of IC's down B taking Lucas's damage down.

My question is what should he do to make sure our team is a powerhouse?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
ICs are bad in teams and you won't get many opportunities to absorb Blizzard since it takes so long to do.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Juggle him like there's no tomorrow and don't get D-Smashed. If R.O.B. spotdodges, shield immediately. There's like a 90% chance they'll D-Smash afterwards.

Also, don't even bother doing anything with the Gyro, just avoid it or PS it. I've gotten so much free damage with people just running into a grounded gyro, getting hit then being stuck between a gyro and my D-Tilt.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
There isn't much discussion about Wario here. What can we do about a Wario who camps heavily when he gets a lead and refuses to do anything but wafts?

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I was playing a ZSS earlier today, and tried doing the P Fthrow > N Bthrow, but Nana's B-Throw sent her at a really awkward angle, like 85 degrees or something, which caused me to miss the regrab. Was this just their DI or is there something about ZSS that makes her get sent at that angle?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It's spacing. You need to find out where you should be. For some characters it's right next to Popo and for some it's a bit farther away. I know the angle thing you are talking about, so you should try to keep the climbers as close to each other as possible.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
That's a pretty bad question, you should be more specific, but do not rush in against Snake. Be patient, try to get him in air and juggle him to death or something.

DeLux

What specific problems do you have with snake?

Y.B.O.

Smash Rookie
I have Problems with the Nades .I dont know how i can Approach. I dont know how i get the Grab.When i use desynched Blizzard a nade hits me . I can Upload a old Set .

Sry my english sucks.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
When I blizzard against MK they like to come and glideattack me out of it. How do I deal with this?

DeLux

Yes. I don't know of any ICs other than myself that know how to do it, and I admittedly can barely do it 1/4th of the time for more than 1 or 2 cycles.

Top Bottom