• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MATCH UPS....throw anything you got.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Wario's bike on stage + Smart Mario + Fsmash = Wario not having his bike to help recovery
Much as that is true, the odds of a halfway decent Wario actually allowing that is slim to none.

Wario is aware of the fact that thge Bike is important to survivability.

Thus, they will not use the Bike, or immediately eat it, or ride it off the stage.

boss8

Smash Hero
wait what???

in conclusion wario can give u trouble u have combo advantage and aerial advantage.....u can cape bike.....and his b-up doesnt auto sweetspot so u can easly cape/gimp.....

moving on the zelda.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Zelda

CONS- Difficult matchup if you're fighting a good Zelda. Outranges you severely, and can KO you with the Usmash around 110%. Neutral B is gay to fireballs, so that approach is mostly shot in this matchup. Grabrange is a problem. Dsmash can kill at low percentages because of the angle you're pushed away. Also very hard to punish because of the speed and surprising range.

PROS- Not easy but not hard to edgeguard. Nair goes thru Dins. Easy to combo and KOs around 100%. Good DI against the Fsmash can help you survive up to 140%. 7-3 Zelda's favor.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Cape also nulilifies din's fire from hurting u. Cape is prety useful against it since Din's fire still can't hit Mario with it even at the last frames of the cape animation.

Ranjiz

Smash Apprentice
avoid zelda's up air at all cost it's one of her big kill move and it can kill you at low %. At the start of the game, zelda will approach with her din's fire so use cape and when zelda's close to you must avoid her down A or down tilt because it is to start a combo.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Zelda's Aerials out prioritize Mario's(Nair breaks Uair chains)
She can reflect fireballs
Fsmash Sheild pokes
Zelda kills Mario very easily

Uair isn't that big a deal it's so easy to read

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
This matchup looks like a staring contest to me. At a distance neither of you can really do anything at all, but the person who approaches will be at a disadvantage.

What I would suggest is charging the FLUDD and since Zelda is naturally going to want to camp from near a ledge, FLUDD her so she's forced to grab the ledge, predict what she is going to do, and rack on your damage that way. And do your best to gimp her since her recovery is very bad.

The other thing to do of course is hovering in the range where she can't hit you with any melee attacks, but can't safely use Din's fire of course.

And don't get into spotdodge wars with her. She'll win them. And if she wins with a D-smash, you're probably dead.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
This matchup looks like a staring contest to me. At a distance neither of you can really do anything at all, but the person who approaches will be at a disadvantage.

What I would suggest is charging the FLUDD and since Zelda is naturally going to want to camp from near a ledge, FLUDD her so she's forced to grab the ledge, predict what she is going to do, and rack on your damage that way. And do your best to gimp her since her recovery is very bad.

The other thing to do of course is hovering in the range where she can't hit you with any melee attacks, but can't safely use Din's fire of course.

And don't get into spotdodge wars with her. She'll win them. And if she wins with a D-smash, you're probably dead.
This is prolly the best advice here. Nothing to add.

NEEEEEXT character!!!

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
There is a Character Match-up debate thread on AiB which a couple weeks ago covered Peach. and the Mario vs Peach match-up was brought up a few times but I think this is pretty accurate right here

Edrees said:
Mario - I think Mario and Peach is pretty even personally. I've lost to a Mario in tournament and it was super super close, but it felt really hard. Mario can really rush Peach. But Peach can do a lot to him, especially with some edgeguarding tricks that Taldarin just pointed out. Also, Mario's FLUDD can actually KILL Peach if she's trying to float back onto the stage, it'll just woosh her away. It seems even though as Mario has a pretty good ability to combo Peach as she is a a good floatiness level for him. I don't feel incredibly strongly though, do while I feel it's even I don't mind deferring to 60-40 from the above post.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Lol Mario has to fight his girlfriend to show his pimpness eh?

I think this is a 5-5 neutral matchup.

Peach and Mario have a hard time killing each other espically for Mario because he doesn't have alot of vertical kill moves for Peach. Peach has more anti air moves such as good amount of useful ones (U-tilt, F-tilt, Uair, U-Smash). Mario's approach's are abit safer, most likely the fireball approach. She has a hard time in dealing projectiles although she has a toad to protect her (lulz) but it isn't useful. She has a great horizontal recovery so gimping her will be hard. Usually if she isn't high enough, a cape dash to spike should do the trick. She has a autocancelled aerials espically her Fair which is hard to punish unless power shielded. Mario's stringing his ground attacks to air attacks isn't bad. Her Dair can eat your shield so can combo into a Nair or a upair.

That's all I can think of. Really, I don't mind changing the matchup into 6-4 in peach's favor. Personally it's 5-5 to me.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Lol Mario has to fight his girlfriend to show his pimpness eh?

I think this is a 5-5 neutral matchup.

Peach and Mario have a hard time killing each other espically for Mario because he doesn't have alot of vertical kill moves for Peach. Peach has more anti air moves such as good amount of useful ones (U-tilt, F-tilt, Uair, U-Smash). Mario's approach's are abit safer, most likely the fireball approach. She has a hard time in dealing projectiles although she has a toad to protect her (lulz) but it isn't useful. She has a great horizontal recovery so gimping her will be hard. Usually if she isn't high enough, a cape dash to spike should do the trick. She has a autocancelled aerials espically her Fair which is hard to punish unless power shielded. Mario's stringing his ground attacks to air attacks isn't bad. Her Dair can eat your shield so can combo into a Nair or a upair.

That's all I can think of. Really, I don't mind changing the matchup into 6-4 in peach's favor. Personally it's 5-5 to me.
i agree as well

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'd personally put Mario vs Peach slightly in Mario's favor.

Mario can camp almost all day against Peach. Neither is particularly easy to ledgeguard, although Peach does better in this category because Mario's recovery is more one-tracked. Mario overall KOs more efficiently than Peach in this matchup due to having less situational kill moves, especially vertically as long as he saves his U-smash until 100% or so. Mario's main problem is that it's hard to approach Peach due to her plethora of fairly safe, high priority attacks.

ALSO, if Peach uses Toad, all Mario needs to do to own her is Cape it. It activates the counter, which is considered a projectile, and that gets reflected in her face.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Her kill power isn't anything to brag about either. I constantly live up to 200% if I DI. The only thing I need to worry about is the Usmash

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Peach isn't going to kill with her U-smash unless you screw up. It's one of the most telegraphed things in the game, and it needs to be sweetspotted. Your U-smash is so much better than hers because it's less situational.

Her U-tilt is slightly more of a threat, because it outprioritizes G&W's D-air, and it's faster than her U-smash of course.

Oh yeah, and she lost sooooo much kill strength on throws. Mario didn't really lose any kill strength on his B-throw, but his is just hurt by diminishing returns and greater effect of DI, meaning you have to specifically wait til about 150% if you want to B-throw kill.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Peach isn't going to kill with her U-smash unless you screw up. It's one of the most telegraphed things in the game, and it needs to be sweetspotted. Your U-smash is so much better than hers because it's less situational.

Her U-tilt is slightly more of a threat, because it outprioritizes G&W's D-air, and it's faster than her U-smash of course.

Oh yeah, and she lost sooooo much kill strength on throws. Mario didn't really lose any kill strength on his B-throw, but his is just hurt by diminishing returns and greater effect of DI, meaning you have to specifically wait til about 150% if you want to B-throw kill.
Peach's throws got nerfed o_0

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Yeah, this matchup is more or less neutral.

I wish I had something to add that hasn't been said, but I don't. Ah well.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
i don't really have a game plan against peach, you guys pretty much took out the basics. As a mario mainer, peach has never been a problem, unless i was facing someone with a crazy metagame. Easy to combo, easy to gimp, learn how to DI/smash DI and your good to go.

boss8

Smash Hero
in conclusion......peach....

+you can combo
+cape is a breeze
+and approach is fairly easy

-she has zero landing lagg
-stichface
-fairly hard to kill
-turnip spam
-she can glide toss turnip....to get to you...

next character is diddkykong....

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
I don't have enough experience against the young Kong to know who has the advantage.

But I do know that Caping his Bananas is extremely fun and effective, and should be abused as much as possible.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Mario kinda scares me, that cape...

Other than that he's no different from captain falcon, you can just combo him with your nanerz like any other guy. Mario's not hard to spike, and diddy is probably hard for mario to edgeguard.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Mario kinda scares me, that cape...

Other than that he's no different from captain falcon, you can just combo him with your nanerz like any other guy. Mario's not hard to spike, and diddy is probably hard for mario to edgeguard.
lulz, indeed. The cape is epic.

Fighting Diddy is different from any other character. Basically, you're not fighting diddy, you're battling his bananas. Grab them first, and keep them away. If he has one, know that's as bad as a chaingrab; possibly worse. Camp him with fireballs, he's searching for an opportunity to start up a combo game with them. Try as hard as you can to keep that chance from him and rack up damage at the same time. Shift to the offensive ONLY when you've created an opening with one of your fireballs; moving too early gives Diddy the perfect opportunity to rack up easy %.

When you have created your opening and start up your combo, uair combos and utilt chains work well. End your combo or w/e with something to reset the current battle position to neutral, with you on the defensive. A Bthrow, Fthrow, Dsmash, Fsmash, or Nair does this nicely.

When he doesn't have any bananas, the fight is yours. You have priority, KO power, Combo game, and a good jab game to work with. Your aerial game is better as well. Bair and Dair are your best friend; Dair especially for grabbing nanerz.

Gimping Diddy is a little tricky as well. Caping his SideB is easy because cape has priority and range over it. His upB can be caped as well during the charge and as he's moving toward the edge. Your ideal edgeguard would be to Fludd his sideB instead of caping because it's much safer (SideB can gimp you VERY easily if you screw up your cape timing) and keeps him from really moving forward. Here, all he has left is his doublejump and his upB; a cape would screw both of these. If he does his upB, try and get in more than one cape to mess with his aim.

Diddy edgeguards you well too. Peanuts screw up your second jump, Mario's easy to spike, and he has his sideB. Don't underestimate his dair, especially. It's very quick and has excellent priority and range.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
F.L.U.D.D. protects you from his spike but that's about all I can add. I'd say more or less even, Diddy and Mario's fighting styles are virtually the same.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
F.L.U.D.D. protects you from his spike but that's about all I can add. I'd say more or less even, Diddy and Mario's fighting styles are virtually the same.
Yeah, you're right. Fast, WOP style aerials, a side B that's good at gimping, and well balanced in other areas.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Well, from what I've read, I've came to the conclusion that the match-up's 7-3 in Diddy Kong's advantage. Those bananas are such a pain.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Mario is pretty week in air. Properly used Diddy can edgeguard and edgehog Mario quite easily. The cape is scary >.< and sometimes even FLUDD.

Agreed with Takeshi 7-3 diddys advantage

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Well, from what I've read, I've came to the conclusion that the match-up's 7-3 in Diddy Kong's advantage. Those bananas are such a pain.
ummm no...

just not better than diddy but not weak. :ohwell:
How do you figure? Diddy really doesn't have anything on Mario that he wouldn't have on anyone else. He ***** everyone the same way with the bananas, the matchup is mostly dependent on how well the opponent can deal with them; and mario deals pretty well. Diddy can't even reliably KO Mario until about 140% unless he lands a Bthrow near the edge.

I don't see how he'd have a better air game. All laggy attacks with average knockback; nothing special.

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
Mario can play with diddy's barrels, try to gimp them everytime they're out of the edge. Diddy loves fireballs, Fludd and Cape when he's using his barrels, so....figure it out by yourself

ADHD

Smash Hero
How do you figure? Diddy really doesn't have anything on Mario that he wouldn't have on anyone else. He ***** everyone the same way with the bananas, the matchup is mostly dependent on how well the opponent can deal with them; and mario deals pretty well. Diddy can't even reliably KO Mario until about 140% unless he lands a Bthrow near the edge.

I don't see how he'd have a better air game. All laggy attacks with average knockback; nothing special.
Lol, laggy attacks, that makes me laugh. They all come out almost as fast as samus' aerials, except the dair, the fair and dair are really the only ones with landing lag, and its not that much. Diddy can just KO him with an Fsmash, Dsmash, fair, if he needs to. And nanerz can set that up easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom