• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MATCH UPS....throw anything you got.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I'm not going to list any big pro/con lists because I haven't really played Mario extensively, I'm just looking around to get some info on him because he has an interesting potential.
Annnnywayys...
Mario's Dair is amazingly effective on ICs and seeing as how Mario is great in aerial combat, you can safely attack and prevent yourself from being grabbed. The other aerials work well, but the Dairs priority, range, and power will VERY easily seperate Popo and Nana, thus leading to that oh so sweet Fair/gimp for an easy K.O.
Overall, I'd say Mario actually has an advantage against ICs.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I'm not going to list any big pro/con lists because I haven't really played Mario extensively, I'm just looking around to get some info on him because he has an interesting potential.
Annnnywayys...
Mario's Dair is amazingly effective on ICs and seeing as how Mario is great in aerial combat, you can safely attack and prevent yourself from being grabbed. The other aerials work well, but the Dairs priority, range, and power will VERY easily seperate Popo and Nana, thus leading to that oh so sweet Fair/gimp for an easy K.O.
Overall, I'd say Mario actually has an advantage against ICs.
4got to add Dair yeah it seperates pretty well

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Ice climbers...

+Nana is ********
+because of that seperating them prevents their chaingrabs
+qite easy to combo and aren't better than mario in the air
+ Fire ball approach is good
-chain grabs are one the gayest things in the game. 0 death kills
-Dyncing makes appraching them a little diffcult sometims
-Popo is small but don't underestimate his strength.
-watch out for Up B when u have high percent
allow me to build on this

Nana is ******** however I have actually lost a match because Nana can still **** you over

you would think separating them would stop the chaingrabbing however Popo can chaingrab Mario to a certain %
----
Mario does not have the advantage in this match-up...the fact that there are usually two Ice Climbers out destroys Mario's Grab game

Dair can separate them however a Desynched Fsmash train can still hit through just about anything

I'll add more a little later I just woke up

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
How's Mario better in the air? They have a disjointed hitbox, and there's 2 of em. I'd say ol' Mario has the disadvantage in this matchup because he has no grab game, no safe approach because fireballs don't separate them, and Mario's one of the harder characters to play "don't get grabbed" with to avoid the infinite.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
From what I learned from playing ÜberIce at a tournament a while back is basically....Ice Climbers....GAY!

This match up takes about everything you learned with Mario...and just immediately says "No that doesn't work here". You can't get any grabs off(In melee you could get a grab and Bthrow to keep the other IC away in Brawl that doesn't work). Fireball camping is limited due to the fact that Ice Climbers have Ice Blocks which when Desynched are much quicker and more annoying than fireballs.

Ice Climbers have a plethora of chaingrabs including one where Nana doesn't even need to be involved(something ÜberIce and I found out during our tourny set...from like 0-60 or so Popo can chaingrab Mario without Nana). However, there is still hope for Mario because as long as the IC are above you(Platform, Air, Ect...) you can separate them easier and get a few hits in but same goes for the Ice Climbers...if you are above them they can pretty much do the same to you.

Desynched Fsmash is probably one of the gayest things I have ever encountered due to the fact that it's just this big as disjointed hitbox that you can't hit through at all and if you get behind it you can easily get downsmashed

the last thing I'm going to talk about in this post is their recovery. Their side B isn't that great...well...I'm lying really...it's pretty good, it's hard to edge guard and can get them some pretty nice height when both are around. Their Up b is annoying it auto sweet spots the edge from like a zillion miles away and if you are hogging it they just shoot over you. Another thing I would like to note is even if you knock Nana way below the level some times the IC player can Up B and Nana just teleports back to above the stage

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
How's Mario better in the air? They have a disjointed hitbox, and there's 2 of em. I'd say ol' Mario has the disadvantage in this matchup because he has no grab game, no safe approach because fireballs don't separate them, and Mario's one of the harder characters to play "don't get grabbed" with to avoid the infinite.
i face IC qiet a lot. but im listing what i have expierenced in my matches with them. when they get grab happy they become very predictable and camping fireballs stop their dashgrabs. Dair seperates them pretty well.

you would think separating them would stop the chaingrabbing however Popo can chaingrab Mario to a certain %
it ain't that devastating, really. after the chain grab he can't do much after that. When Nana is gone, Popo becomes rediculously easy to edgeguard. He's shouldn't be underestimated but he isn't much without nana.

but yeah there a pain. U can't be over them in midair, you'll get *****, but when ur below them they get separated.

a few times when i hogged the ledge Nana didn't make and only popo did.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
it ain't that devastating, really. after the chain grab he can't do much after that. When Nana is gone, Popo becomes rediculously easy to edgeguard. He's shouldn't be underestimated but he isn't much without nana.
There are certain moves that just manage to tick people off. In my case it's moves that keep me in them for a period of time(MK tornado, Pika Dsmash, D3 Chaingrab, Falco chaingrab, IC chaingrab, and Popo chaingrab). I keep stating the Popo chaingrab because of the fact that it annoys me...I was in the final match of the set and ÜI did that chaingrab on me and time ran out and it went into sudden death(Because that tournament allowed sudden death to be played through). Point I'm trying to make is little things that don't seem to make a big impact can be the difference between 5th place and taking home the prize

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
There are certain moves that just manage to tick people off. In my case it's moves that keep me in them for a period of time(MK tornado, Pika Dsmash, D3 Chaingrab, Falco chaingrab, IC chaingrab, and Popo chaingrab). I keep stating the Popo chaingrab because of the fact that it annoys me...I was in the final match of the set and ÜI did that chaingrab on me and time ran out and it went into sudden death(Because that tournament allowed sudden death to be played through). Point I'm trying to make is little things that don't seem to make a big impact can be the difference between 5th place and taking home the prize
hmmm, i understand

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
*Hopes that next week is Luigi*

I just played VEC awhile ago and I didn't do so hot.

The Trump Card

Smash Cadet
I got owned like every match against ICs until I started figuring out how to separate them. Still, I lose a lot against good ICs. CGs suck, but at least IC's have a weakness unlike our friend
D3.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Dedede has a lot of moves that flat-out beat Mario's. I would go so far as to say Dedede's one of Mario's counter characters.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Falco's fun to kill as hell espically when you cape him. I usually cape him when hes about to use that illusion trick or his firefox upb. Just gota watch out for that CG into a spike near the edge. Other then that hes pretty much cake from there.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
His phantasm can be caped but it's not so easy anymore. Especially when doing it into the ledge. Fire bird is more easily caped though, so you may want to go for that. Cape is your best friend against a falco. Fireballs are not. I can't really give that much more help since I don't play against a lot of marios, sorry.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
His phantasm can be caped but it's not so easy anymore. Especially when doing it into the ledge. Fire bird is more easily caped though, so you may want to go for that. Cape is your best friend against a falco. Fireballs are not. I can't really give that much more help since I don't play against a lot of marios, sorry.
Both are easily caped, but his phantasm requires you to use the fludd on him first. It prevents him from sweetspotting and keeps him in the air long enough to cape him to his death.

My take on Mario vs Falco

+Very easy to gimp
+Low % KOs
+Cape screws up laser approaches
+Easy to rack up damage
+Fsmash outranges and outprioritizes many of Falco's attacks. An overall reliable KO attack against Falco
+Fireballs and highpriority upB during recovery to protect against Falco's edgeguarding

-Reflector screws up fireball approaches
-Nair spacing further screws up approach
-Falco racks up damage VERY quickly with CGs and good combo game

Even imo. Lasers are an integral part of Falco's game. Take that away, and the matchup becomes MUCH simpler. Add that to the fact that Mario can easily gimp his recovery, and you've just cut the difficulty of this matchup in half.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Whenever I'm far enough away to be laser spammed, I use side b over and over until I'm A: Close enough to start an attack, or B: being approached. FLUDD also works well to screw up his attack so you can get a smash attack in. FLUDD can also make them misjudge the distance they can make it back with their side b, so if you use FLUDD, they might not make it back.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Falco is tough, but not nearly as bad as some of Mario's other top tier matchups.

Falco at the very least can be easily gimped by Mario. A well placed FLUDD screws up his Forward B big time, which few other characters can reliably handle in the first place. His Up-B is almost a joke when it comes to recovery, and is easily intercepted if he needs to use it.

The problems: Falco has you beat in terms of camping. Lasers can get really lame. If he SH lasers, and you try to cape them, he's capable of sending them right back at you, which you don't want to happen. It is possible to crouch to avoid lasers if I recall. Not all the time though. Mario has this animation where he looks around, making him taller. If I recall, ground lasers can hit you then.

Also a problem, but to a lesser degree, Falco has you beat in terms of range and priority. His F-tilt in particular seems to have as much range as Marth's. His B-air and D-air are quite dangerous attacks too, and his D-smash can be fairly nasty for Mario's recovery if he doesn't DI up against it. Fortunately, you have an answer to his range by pivoting your F-smash.

I'd try to not take on Falco on the ground. Falco has an evil chaingrab, a D-smash that can gimp you, tilts with huge range, yeah. In the air, he still wins out in range and priority, but he's significantly more laggy than you there.

Eh, just my two cents.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Man I haven't been on the boards in a while, but here's my tip against falco..

RUSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A falco mainer is really liable for laser spamming. One way to take that game away from falco is to rush into his lasers with proper shield dashing. Mario is pretty good at that, and if you know how to exploit his shield dashing, you can eliminate that spam. Be quick with the cape, don't be afraid to use the cape at random times knowing that a falco can sh laser spam. Randomly duck under his lasers since mario can duck under his lasers, but don't stay in that animation for too long because mario will move his head which increases his hitbox. This factor alone makes me hate sakurai especially, because mario and luigi's crouching animation is exactly the same but mario still can't crawl while luigi can (which doesn't make sense since I've played mario games with mario crawling)

Falco can easily chain grab mario pretty good. I usually hop around to avoid that, or counter it with mario's dsmash or his side dodges. If caught in a chain grab, try jamming the jump button or using marios upb to push falco away...

Anticipate a falco to counter back when you hit him with moves such as mario's bair, if you do not anticipate a falco mainer to retailiate after landing a hit against him you might be in for a suprise. I don't know if its just me, but it seems as if falco's animation while he's hit is pretty short for certain moves...

Use fireballs above falco!!! PLEASE DO SO!!!!!! He'll reflect those fireballs pretty good if you do otherwise, and we all know about mario's fireball stun factor....

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Lucas can be difficult to approach at times but he isn't really hard

+easy gimp
+Cape projectiles
+Better combo potential
-Fsmash is fast and strong
-Dair is annoyng if used right

can't think of any more. I think Mario can choke grab him idk.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Lucas sucks. He doesn't really have anything amazingly special going for him, and he's easy to gimp.

Well, you can't exactly Fireball camp him, but that's it. Just don't get carelesss around his PK Fire, punish his U-smash and D-smash, juggle him to death, and FLUDD his recovery. Try to put him into a position where he's pressured to approach, because he sucks at doing that.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Lucas sucks. He doesn't really have anything amazingly special going for him, and he's easy to gimp.

Well, you can't exactly Fireball camp him, but that's it. Just don't get carelesss around his PK Fire, punish his U-smash and D-smash, juggle him to death, and FLUDD his recovery. Try to put him into a position where he's pressured to approach, because he sucks at doing that.
Mario definantly has the advantage

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Oh, and almost forgot, if for any dumb reason Lucas uses PK freeze, FLUDD him. It WILL kill him.

Mario doesn't have any grab release options on Lucas besides F-tilt, too bad, but doesn't really matter since Lucas just isn't very good.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
His approaches don't ultimately determine the match-ups, manofgames. That data must come from other sources. Not all characters are equal and Mario's not even that good considering he's average so he's going to have more match-ups that aren't in his favor for the most part. Anyways, after Monk's longer post of the Lucas, I say that we focus on Toon Link.

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
I think Mario definitely has the upper hand in this match up with Lucas. Mario can cape Lucas' projectiles and has the ability to combo Lucas very well. On top of all of that Lucas, along with Ness, is one of the easiest people to gimp. Cape and FLUDD are your best friends in this match up.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I don't see why people think this a win for Mario...the only things Mario has in this match-up are Low% combos and Fludding during his up-b... Lucas' has higher priority on most of his attacks, More range, and he has a much easier time killing...

Fireball camping doesn't work too well due to the fact that his Psymagnet absorbs them...Fireball rushing doesn't work due to the fact that he can Psymagnet your fireballs and then let the Psymagnet down and hit you...

He has quite a few edgegaurding options(if one of his ultra powerful attacks don't kill you)PKT2 can kill, Dair can spike, Bair can spike, Psymagnet has enough knock back to kill you(it has happened to me...if I still have the replay I'll try to upload it)

Usmash kills at like 100 or some **** and has just plain silly range, Fsmash comes out fast a kills quite easily, Dsmash kills easily and the hitbox goes behind Lucas(Not nearly as powerful), Nair last a while and autocancels and can go through some of Mario's attacks

However I believe the match is neutral because he can combo Lucas pretty well and kinda sorta kill pretty easily

Omis

my friends were skinny
I see this as a win for lucas as you can't use fire balls. Lucas can get you in an easy dair->fsmash for the kill. Both of them can easily gimp each other so you cant use that against Lucas. Also any smart Lucas knows never to pk freeze on the ground. Also shorthop nair is a combo machine.To add lucas has a slight advantage to mario in the matchup chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom