• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MATCH UPS....throw anything you got.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Box...I'm gunna have to disagree...I look at squirtle and see a tiny crawling Mario with 2 Bairs...which makes the match even...Ivy on the other hand...Ivy is just silly...what am I going to have to do to prove to you this match is the easiest of the three...go to PT only tournament and secretly play Mario?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I also agree that Squirtle is the hardest of the three but as an even match? o_O He's quick but he's not deadly.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Don't compare squirtle to Mario please. His smashes are laggier, he's weaker, range is just as bad, and top of that, he's light. You guys keep saying he's fast. But guess who else is fast. Sonic.

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
I agree with monk,squirtle is a really little target,great aerials(two bairs) ect.
I fought kanzaki's PT granted he said he rarely touches PT but when I fought him squirtle was the biggest problem,I ammusing what he has doin during the match was shell shifting,whatever it was,it was effective
Ivy,held his(her???) own against mario and I actually only ended up edge quarding the up-b only once,scince he would throw out a razor leaf before I would get on the ledge(or maybe that was just bad edgeguarding on my part)his range is good,and bullet seed can stop SOME aerial approaches but is'nt too bad(unless you dont DI correctly)
charizard,Im guessing he is the easiest of all,although kanzaki did'nt prefer charizard im just assuming charizard was'nt his best pokemon,still easy comboing in general ussualy means an easy matchup

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I mained Pokemon Trainer for like a week before I went back to Mario.. Mostly Squirtle, a little Ivysaur, didn't touch Charizard much, unless I was forced to. Anywho, I liked Squirtle a lot, plays a lot like Mario, except Squirtle has no kill moves :[

If I were to make a comparison, Squirtle = Melee Mario as to Brawl Mario = Doctor Mario.

Here's a match of A2ZOMG(Mario) vs myself(PT) over wifi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE4kAO2v2pI

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I've played egale PT so many times. I've memorized most of it. Pretty much Ivy will start things off.

Ivy: IMO 50:50
squirtle 70-30 marios favor
charizard 60-40 in zards favor

lazy to explain
I wanna hear this. Charizard's never given me problems.

The whole Fire > Ivy thing isn't too good for him either.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
You guys keep saying he's fast. But guess who else is fast. Sonic.
Attack speed =/= Dash speed.

Orly, go ask Teh_Spammerer. He's a pro, and he's played my Mario online quite a few times with the PT. Maybe you can play him too. :laugh:
What specific qualifications make him a pro?

Anyway, it seems we're getting really caught-up here on wether or not Mario can outcamp Ivysaur with the fireballs. I don't think anyone's mentioned yet anything about Ivysaur's disjoints canceling out the fireballs? Razor Leaf, Bair, Ftilt, and Dtilt will all cancel it out. Bair's the best one for it since Bair will cancel with the first hit, then still execute the second hit.

ZeroMystic said:
Charizard fairs better but I don't see how anything is in his favor.
Charizard has crazy, crazy grab range.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
You go tell'em Retro! ;D Also do you know how effin annoying it is to punish a Rock Smash? It can be used for offensive and retreating purposes. If your caught in a flamethrower, you can DI towards them and break it with a upb that's if you want to take the whole hits.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
You could because of the invincibility frames, sure, but in my opinion I'd just GTFO of it before you take like an unnecesary extra ten-fifteen percent.

Here are Charizard's disadvantages versus Mario:

• From about 0-30%, he gets juggled pretty easily by Utilt, Uair, and I think Nair or Dair as the finisher. After that, though, I feel way more comfortable using him. Same can be said for Ivysaur, just to a lesser degree.
  • Charizard's recovery is pretty easy to nail with the cape.

I think those are Charizard's major problems versus Mario that I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm probably forgetting something.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
What specific qualifications make him a pro?
Cause he's awesome. XD

Off topic, but example of why he's awesome:

Teh_Spammerer said:
I beat Chu's Snake on Battlefield with Snake and JV 2 stocked it on Smashville with an SD using Sheik and also beat Azen's Snake on Delfino with Sheik. At least one of the kills vs Chu was with Sheik's up B and I killed another Snake in tournament with Sheik's up b. You want to know who I stole the strategy from? KDJ. There's a certain height where if Snake tries to do [insert aeriel here] or he airdodges at that height if Sheik does up b below him she'll be invincible when he's going for an aeriel or hit him after the airdodge if he did it at that height. Sheik is a good character. Ftilt combos ending in uptilt or upsmash, good edgeguarding, needles are gay, grab release upsmash, and using her in conjunction with Zelda is very good.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Your missing that hes getting outcamped by fireballs? Or does moves like Rock smash outprioritize it? o.O Personally I think Mario has a tougher time killing cause Zard is heavyweight and kills pretty darn early unless you can get a good fludd/cape offstage

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
mario can juggle charazard to about 60% Uair binding him is very easy. But If i was to do that i'd have to follo my oponent's DI

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
You'd have to follow Charizard's jumps, too. I don't get hit much farther than like 30-40%.

He's awesome because he uses Sheik?

Charizard can cancel out Fireballs with Flamethrower too, but Mario can probably get around that. So yes, Fireballs are a bit of a nuissance.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
He's awesome because he uses Sheik?
You are telling me you don't know who Azen, KDJ, and Chu are? Some of the best Melee players (and brawl players).

Teh_Spammerer is on the level of those top professional players in case you haven't realized.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Teh_Spammerer is on the level of those top professional players in case you haven't realized.
...with Sheik.

Of course I know who all of those players are. But I don't really understand what this has to do with Pokemon Trainer. Unless you're trying to tell me that skill with one character will transfer to another character.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Of course I know who all of those players are. But I don't really understand what this has to do with Pokemon Trainer. Unless you're trying to tell me that skill with one character will transfer to another character.
It does in Brawl, where most of the roster requires no warmup to function properly.

He is good with the entire cast in Brawl from what I've seen. The point I've been making is that I have played him when he used the Pokemon Trainer (and he beats me consistently with anyone cause of course he's a much better player than me).

However, I can confidently note that his Ivysaur was in fact the easiest of the three Pokemon to deal with. Ivysaur's pros like range and projectiles were not particularly difficult to work around, while things like its grab range were more problematic.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I mained PT before I went to Mario. Squirtle plays a lot like Mario, except that his only kill move is predictable and laggy (Usmash). Squirtle should be fairly easy to handle. His light weight makes him easy to KO, and his recovery is easily caped. I would put this match up 70-30, Mario's favor.

Ivysaur is also fairly easy. Easier to uair, but he has much better kill moves. His bullet seed can be a bit of a nuiscance if you're trying to come down from the top and Dair him. Fireballs work well here, and he also has an easily gimped recovery. However, he has better range and razor leaf can be trouble in the hands of somebody who can actually use it. I'd put this around 55-45, Mario's favor.

Charizard is easy to juggle, and easily hit with fireballs. However, his grabbing range, power, and tilts can be a problem to Mario. His weight makes him hard to K.O., but his recovery is definately easily caped. I'd say that this match-up is neutral, and that the better player should win. 50-50.

Genos

Smash Apprentice
Individual pokemon matchup ratios are good, but we need an overall one as well. Keep in mind that PTs will maximize their time with their best pokemon. What are everyone's final thoughts on the matchup?

Famous

Smash Champion
Pro's
Easy to ledgehuard
Easy to combo in general
Easy to camp

Con's
He can KO you around 60% with a well placed FSmash
He outranges you
Can easily shield grab you

This matchup in general is cakewalk for Mario =/

Most DK's tend to spam Bairs these days...Just wait for an opening and follow up with whatever you think works. I usually PShield towards DK after the 1st or 2nd Bair and shield grab them. Another thing to look out for is Bair into Foward B (headbutt) His Foward B really eats away at your shield and if your shield is small enough you might get plowed into the ground.

His tilts outrange mostly all of Mario moves...I would use the fireball approach for a DK just to stay out of range of his tilts.

The only other real thing you should look out for is his stage spike throw...and this is avoidable if your fast at grabbreaks and are good at teching..

Sorry for the lazy matchup post...

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
u-tilt ****
u-air ****
cape ****

on the other hand....

tilts destroy us
3 spikes,1 of which is'nt very hard to land
neutral B has super armor and can kill at early %'s
up-b eats right through fludd
smashes are better
great grab range
dair,uair and nair can be bad
is'nt very slow...
strong
can bury us in the ground
hes a gorilla

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I say disadvantage Mario due to his insane range and KO power. Easy to combo, approach (unless they space well), and edgeguard, but DK can be really problematic if played to his strengths. 6:4 DK.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
DK Matchup Discussion

http://www.allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=1085

Bigfoot said:
mario - a good mario can combo you to hell, he racks up damage fairly easily, and he's heavier than most of the other combo characters, so you can't kill him at 60% to even it up. however, he does not kill dk easily, to top that off dk's bair works very well against mario. i've had pretty even matches with most of the marios i've played, so i put it at 50-50, and the other dk mains i've talked to seem to agree
I agree

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
DK's pretty fast for being a powerful heavyweight. His range helps him out big time. He'll get with you if you give him the oppurtunity. All the DK matches i've been in as Mario, it's pretty much back an forth. Could go either way at any time. Especially if he connects with a smash on you, or if you get lucky and gimp his recovery.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Definitely one of Mario's better matchups. Not sure who has advantage though, so I guess it could be even lol.

Basically Mario can camp and combo to control the matchup. DK has range so wins in spacing games and doing stuff from the shield. Both characters however are pretty lousy at killing though, for Mario it's because he's weaker and DK is heavier, and for DK it's because most of his kill moves suck or are difficult to set up.

And off topic, I'm just going to say, I disagree with a number of things on Bigfoot's chart. Specifically I'm pretty **** sure DK doesn't have the advantage on MK and G&W. Especially not MK.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
No he doesn't. You go to their matchup thread and more of them are coming to the consensus that DK definitely doesn't have the advantage on MK.

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
from what I've experienced 6:4 adv DK seems accurate
DK's range beats ours,alot
caping his 2nd jump=not hard due to his size
caping his up-b=next to impossible
he's fast for a heavy
he's also strong.stronger than us
the only thing we have on him is combo's and fireballz,but he has more going for him than we do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom