• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Up Export: Wolf

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Overview:
The strongest Spacies steps up to bat when Wolf enters the fray. Be prepared for blasters to annoy you and the disjointed hitboxes to mess with your game. All in all, be prepared for an uphill battle.

Kirby’s Pros and Cons:

+ Good Kill options
+ Excellent off-stage game
+ Good grab game @ early percents

- Lightweight
- Lacks projectile

Wolf's Pros and Cons:

+ Strong kill moves
+ Excellent projectile
+ Superior onstage game
+Heavyweight

- ***** offstage

Watch out for:
Blaster – It's a strong projectile with decent speed. More important is while it can't 'spam' it can be used effectively to force an approach. Small damage taken from Blasters over time lead to early kills.

BAir and other aerials – Bair trade hits, Fair beats inhale and Uair is bloody fast. Spacing well and aircamping to punish is a good way to handle Wolf in the air.

DThrow – Don't tech or you'll eat a followup.

How to win:
Get Wolf Offstage – Use your grabs> Bair strings to get him offstage. Attempt to gimp or edgegaurd at every instant to gain an early stock lead.

Aircamp – W/ a percent or stock lead aircamp and punish Wolf's approach.

Keep Fsmash fresh – Wolf is a heavy character so kills are going to be harder to come by. A smart strategy would be to keep Fsmash fresh to get Wolf offstage (or dead) faster/ @ earlier percents.

Spit out or Swallow?

If Kirby copies Wolf's ability he'll have an awesome blaster at his disposal that can wreck Wolf's recovery. I mean wreck. If Wolf gets hit, his momentum stops and he starts dropping, forcing either a Side-B or UpB, which can be easily telegraphed and Dair'd.

Kirby should NOT TRY TO SWALLOCIDE. For the love of all that's Kirby, do NOT attempt it. Fair beats inhale. FAIR BEATS INAHALE!

It's just...ugh. It's bad. So, please, be wary of using Inhale off-stage. Wolf's Fair will cut through it every time..

Stages (in order of priority):
PS1 – The go-to Kirby stage. Obstacles, platforms, gimpy edge and several transformations to work with.
RC – A Kirby staple as far as Cping. Bank on the movement of the stage gimping Wolf's recovery and aircamp a lot harder.
Pictochat – A mix of different 'backgrounds' and stage gimmicks that come in handy to get around Wolf's blaster and help Kirby live longer.

FD – Aircamping with a stock/% lead is harder without obstacles or platforms. Approaching is the same principle.
SV – Same as FD

Neutrals: Ranked and Explained

Key:
Good, Bad.

PS1 –Explained above.
FD – Same as above.
SV – Same as above.

Synopsis:
Pew pew. Om nom nom. Gimp. GAME!
Wolf has an advantage in this match-up so Kirby will definitely have to fight harder (or smarter) in this matchup to take away a win. Getting the blaster is a decisive change for the match-up and will make it easier for Kirby to force an approach that can be punished but don't get killed trying to obtain the power. Work the level in Kirby's advantage when dealing with Wolf.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I'm pretty confident that this matchup is in Wolf's favor.

Wolf can usmash OoS (or something else, usmash is the most universal) next to everything that Kirby does on shield, fair outprioritizes any aerial approach, blaster forces Kirby to approach, well-spaced SHFF bairs keep Kirby outside of grab range barring a PS, shine beats out a lot of stuff (well... that goes for a lot of matchups lol), and Kirby doesn't have any good way of killing Wolf if the Wolf stays defensive and doesn't have a hideous reaction time, aside from maybe fsmashing a bair if that works, idk.

All Kirby has is low% grab combos (I'd reccomend dthrow > utilt > regrab, it's possible to get out of the fthrow uair regrab with proper SDI and a shine, but your call) and gimps with dair (emphasis on this, really. Maybe swallowcide gimps and whatnot as well, but dair is the worst). If you absorb our blaster, that's really annoying too imo, but Wolf is fully capable of avoiding these things with proper DI/campiness, and only the dair gimp is really game-changing.

Number-wise, I'd have to say 60:40 Wolf =/ It might seem a bit out there, but... yeah. Idk any Kirby that really knows the Wolf matchup though, so it's really only half of the story.

EDIT: I'm too lazy to make a new post lol, but I agree with the post below me, lots of good information :3

:059:

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Time to write this up while I wait for Nintendo's E3 conference! XD

Blaster forces an approach, like Ishieymoro said. But Kirby shouldn't have that much of a problem approaching blaster-wise. When he gets in close to Wolf, that's where it becomes a challenge.

Bair is Wolf's best friend, here. Seriously. Perfectly spaced Bairs will wreck Kirby attempting to poke in an aerial of his own. Shield-dashing will help Kirby land a grab if he wants one.

If Kirby gets a Utilt when Wolf is under 10%, expect three or four to follow with a Bair finish. The problem is after ~50%, Wolf can Shine, which completely shuts down Kirby's juggling game.

DThrow -> Utiltx3 -> Bair also works on Wolf. I've never done the Dthrow -> Utilt -> regrab. Sounds like something I'll have to try! :D

Delving a little into human players, here. Wolf can shine through a Kirby after DThrow if he fails to buffer Utilt correctly. Since we're assuming both players are at their very best, this probably won't happen, but I think it's interesting to note.

FThrow -> Uair is guaranteed. Anything else can be SDI'd or Shine'd.

Once Kirby has the % or stock lead, it's Wolf's turn to have trouble approaching. He does have Fair and Bair, but since he's approaching, Kirby will have an easier time landing a grab or Bair of his own.

I should note that Kirby's and Wolf's Bair trade hits.

If Kirby copies Wolf's ability he'll have an awesome blaster at his disposal that can wreck Wolf's recovery. I mean wreck. If Wolf gets hit, his momentum stops and he starts dropping, forcing either a Side-B or UpB, which can be easily telegraphed and Dair'd.

Wolf should not follow Kirby off-stage. That's spelling doom for Wolf. Kirby should always be following Wolf off-stage thanks to his mediocre recovery. Side-B is good, but again, Dair cuts right through it, and if Kirby gets so much as one hit off on Dair, Wolf's stock is gone.

Wolf can punish a Kirby using FC with Dsmash at the edge. It's very effective, and will kill Kirby if you've been keeping it fresh. Fair is very good for a recovery Kirby thanks to its disjointed hitbox.

Kirby should NOT TRY TO SWALLOCIDE. For the love of all that's Kirby, do NOT attempt it. Fair beats inhale. FAIR BEATS INAHALE! I'm quite notorious for swallociding, but I have only swallowcided Kain once, and it was because he used Dsmash instead of Fair.

It's just...ugh. It's bad. So, please, be wary of using Inhale off-stage. Wolf's Fair will cut through it every time..

Killing wise. Fsmash, Usmash, and Dsmash are all good choices for Wolf. Fair is good if there's a stage with platforms. I'd go against Bair because it'll be so stale. Kirby has Fsmash, which cuts through everything Wolf has if properly used (or at least it'll trade hits). Usmash is a nice surprise option, and Dsmash works, too. Bair and Dair are great gimping tools against Wolf.

By the way, I have no idea whether or not Wolf can Usmash against anything Kirby has OoS. Kain's never done it, and it doesn't seem like he can against Kirby. I'll have to test it.

Oh, and don't tech Wolf's Dthrow. It gives him a free Dsmash or follow-up grab if you roll.

All in all, I'd say it's closer to a small disadvantage (55-45) in Wolf's favor.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Even-ish matchup. From my limited experience versing ChuDat multiple times we go even now. He usually comes out on top though.

D

Deleted member

I agree with Ishiey on the 60:40. At least in my experience, Wolf's moves have a lot of priority against Kirby. Kirby's up-tilt combo is effective, though.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
One thing I want to mention: As awesome as Wolf's shine is, if read, it means a free grab for Kirby. Also Kirby has some really good OoS options vs Wolf too.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm going to agree with the above statements. Odd as it sounds this is at least 45:55 against Kirby and I wouldn't be surprised if it's more like 40:60.

Combos on Wolf are fun and all, but they're only effective at lower percents. Since Wolf is heavy that damage doesn't go nearly as far as it should. Sure you can get a good KO with F-smash, but Wolf is usually hitting you well before your F-smash lands. Wolf's attacks all seem to come out much faster than Kirby's in any given situation and with more range and power. This doesn't bode well for Kirby since he's slow and light.

Knowing that Kirby's B-air trades blows with Wolf's isn't very assuring; Wolf's B-air is stronger and is more likely to KO Kirby than vice versa. Kirby's B-air is his main tool in this match up (along side grabs) and will likely stale out quickly. In general it's safer to go for off-stage KOs than to land stronger attacks.

Wolf's U-smash is pretty ridiculous, as is his D-smash. They both KO Kirby easily and hit quickly. Wolf's F-smash is much easier to punish, which makes things easier when playing against scrubby Wolf players who spam it.

In general you just have to outplay the Wolf every step of the game since he has it much easier in this match-up (at least as long as he's still on the stage).

Goombadude3

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2809-8329-5911
Ermm,this match up is pretty even in my book, yeah wolf can KO Kirby pretty easily but so can Kirby. My friend has played as Wolf multiple times and he always falls for a trick i always do with Kirby, cause of his speed, and your flick speed, just dodge roll twice, run away,backflip over him,Up B, kick kick,hammer. Thats one of my combos i do alot. The back flip is what gets him. It throws him off and sometimes he will shoot which makes him unable to move a just enough time for me to land my hammer on him.

Yeah my playing style is a little unorthodox but its affective. Wolf does have power over kirby, which pts it more in kirbys favor but its very easy to counter and win. So im saying its in kirbys favor,but very slightly

Goombadude3

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2809-8329-5911
As a response to swallowcide,lol that sounds like fun. But im known by my friends to swordicide, i mean the sword pushes the enemy down,but only use this is you have an extra stock to spare like if you have 4 and the enemy has 2,thats a perfect time to die!

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
^^ It's called FC Spike. FC= Final Cutter (UpB). If you do it near the stage edge you can grab the ledge and they'll be spiked.

Goombadude3

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2809-8329-5911
Ah thanks for the offcial name there JoWiiCIDE, ill still use the term swordicide on my friends though,they find it pretty funny

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'll say Wolf is the hardest space animal to play against. Though this match up should be even, since Wolf's recovery options are limited, but his ground game is pretty good, this match up can go both ways. His B-Air is his only threat move when he's in the air, his other air moves don't reach far so no real danger. U-tilt strings and grabs are best used against Wolf.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Dude... his Uair *****, and his Fair is a **** good kill move that ACs. I would not say Bair is his only good aerial.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Odds of Kirby getting hit with his U-Air is very slim unless Wolf combos into it, (which can still be dodged), his F-Air may be a good kill move, but the range is nothing too impressive. Wolf would have to find an attack that can lead to using U-Air or F-Air.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
All moves can be dodged... that's not a good arguement.

By this logic, his Bair outranges ours, and he has a projectile = We never land a hit.
Uair is a solid move any time we are above him, and there are a couple ways to land a Fair, which will kill us ridiculously early, and a whiffed Fair ACs if done right, so it's not too dangerous to use when we're in kill %s.

Triple R

Smash Lord
wolf's fair is insanely fast though, i was "comboing" kain in a tourney match once and he sneaked a fair in for the kill between my hits.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
All moves can be dodged... that's not a good arguement.

By this logic, his Bair outranges ours, and he has a projectile = We never land a hit.
Uair is a solid move any time we are above him, and there are a couple ways to land a Fair, which will kill us ridiculously early, and a whiffed Fair ACs if done right, so it's not too dangerous to use when we're in kill %s.
I was saying comboing into his U-Air can be dodged unless you mindgame someone into dodging too soon. ._.

Anyways, his projectile won't stop you for long since it isn't too fast. His B-Air may be a problem to deal with though. I can't say much about his F-Air since I haven't seen a good use of it vs Kirby.

wolf's fair is insanely fast though, i was "comboing" kain in a tourney match once and he sneaked a fair in for the kill between my hits.
Which string were you using? I'm going to guess and say grab strings. ._.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I think his projectile serves kind of like Mario's fireballs: Sure it's great when they hit and do damage (and are a decent projectile), but mainly serve to force a reaction, then punish that reaction.

That's how I tend to use his lasers anyway. For that and forcing approaches.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Double post for a bump, but apparently we get SideB'd from an air release. So yeah, watch out for that. Try to force ground releases.

Staz

Smash Lord
this thread is total garbz.

kirby wolf is 100-0 kirby.

just eat that ****er and jump off stage he has 0 options against kirbycide that dont lead to death.... he is either gonna get footstooled or be too far to recovery for wolfs ****ty recovery.

any kirby that needs help in this mu should just quit brawl and take up fapping or something.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
just eat that ****er and jump off stage he has 0 options against kirbycide that dont lead to death.... he is either gonna get footstooled or be too far to recovery for wolfs ****ty recovery.
This is true, but that's also true for Falco. Is he also 100-0? No? Why? Because Falco has enough disjoints to make landing an inhale tough. Therefore, you don't get a whole lot on Falco, despite the fact it makes a HUGE difference when you land it.

The same is true with Wolf. In fact, Wolf has more tools to avoid the inhale. A good Wolf shouldn't be dying to that more than twice a set at the absolute worst (and that's with ridiculous prediction and mindgames). ****, even a 'meh' Wolf shouldn't get hit with many of those.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I've been playing two wolfs lately so...

Inhale is easssssyyy to land. Force Wolf offstage and stand about...half a roll distance away and inhale on reaction. Inhale beats er'thing. And the best thing is, if Wolf has already used his second jump, spit him out if you land the inhale and re-inhale. (Completely situational but worth it if Kirby has been getting reads.)

WATCH THE **** OUT FOR grounded wolf. Srsly, it's like...walk up to you and dsmash or grab and repeat. Lol.

Staz

Smash Lord
This is true, but that's also true for Falco. Is he also 100-0? No? Why? Because Falco has enough disjoints to make landing an inhale tough. Therefore, you don't get a whole lot on Falco, despite the fact it makes a HUGE difference when you land it.

The same is true with Wolf. In fact, Wolf has more tools to avoid the inhale. A good Wolf shouldn't be dying to that more than twice a set at the absolute worst (and that's with ridiculous prediction and mindgames). ****, even a 'meh' Wolf shouldn't get hit with many of those.
because most kirby mains suck. thats why.

fthrow>inhale is garunteed on wolf.

EVERYTHING that is bad about the kirby vs spacie mu for a space wolf has like times ten

he is heavy/ff/w.e

kirbys amazing with his copy.

he is easy as **** to eat.

his recovery is garbz/super-predictable

cant escape kirbycide without dying.

he is heavy as **** and has no recovery the solution is obvious.
I've been playing two wolfs lately so...

Inhale is easssssyyy to land. Force Wolf offstage and stand about...half a roll distance away and inhale on reaction. Inhale beats er'thing. And the best thing is, if Wolf has already used his second jump, spit him out if you land the inhale and re-inhale. (Completely situational but worth it if Kirby has been getting reads.)

WATCH THE **** OUT FOR grounded wolf. Srsly, it's like...walk up to you and dsmash or grab and repeat. Lol.
or you could just fthrow him into inhale and walk offstage.

im sorry but this mu is so in kirbys favor its ridiculous.

kirby mains just are dumb and cant brawl.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Troll? How does a wolf get inhaled? He could sit just back and laser our face. Even if he gets inhaled onstage, he even has time to break out before we can jump off with him in our belly.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
GRrr oh mah gurd this MU is nottt that lololol easy anmd....

Wait a minute.

Oh he's from Utah. Now it makes sense why bad stuff seems good for him. Carry on.

Staz

Smash Lord
Troll? How does a wolf get inhaled? He could sit just back and laser our face. Even if he gets inhaled onstage, he even has time to break out before we can jump off with him in our belly.
fthrow to inhale works on wolf and is easy as **** to pull off and all you need to do is jump offstage and wolf is dead. even if you are even or just barely above the ledge kirby is going to footstool you, drill you, or you will be too far to do anything but die.

kirby combos the **** outta wolf cuz he is a spacie. in fact this is the gayest kirby vs spacie matchup.

you can just shield grab him all day cuz his attacks all have so much lag and are like all single hitboxes then do like 50+ percent out of a single fthrow

plus his up b provides NO protection at all. even if kirby is inside it. sdi out and then aerial.
GRrr oh mah gurd this MU is nottt that lololol easy anmd....

Wait a minute.

Oh he's from Utah. Now it makes sense why bad stuff seems good for him. Carry on.
...utah is actually one of the best smash states.

we even have __X__ one of the best smashers in the WORLD.

and people still be mad.

also this mu is the easiest mu in the game.

even easier than mk vs sandbag.

I could fap with both hands and beat the best wolf player out there at the same time.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Lawl, he said Utah is one of the best smash state. Now I know he's trolling. I'm not reading any of his posts from now til the end of time! (Unless he stops trolling in the future)

Staz

Smash Lord
it really is one of the best, how do you think x got so good? wifi? lolnowifisuxfatdick.

let me know when someone from MO is taking m2k to game 5 of GF with a low tier. kthx.

wolf/kirby is 100-0 in kirbys favor. if you cant see it then you must be playing melee or something.

EDIT: who even plays smash in missouri??? how the **** can someone host tourneys on a river in some random the hills have eyes state?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Lawl, he said Utah is one of the best smash state. Now I know he's trolling. I'm not reading any of his posts from now til the end of time! (Unless he stops trolling in the future)
U from Missouri? Never even heard of anyone good from Missouri. We have a Sonic here who would beat your whole state in crews by himself. You don't know anything about our state so stfu.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
EDIT: who even plays smash in missouri??? how the **** can someone host tourneys on a river in some random the hills have eyes state?
Bwahahahahahahah Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer best TO's evah!!!!!!!

Staz

Smash Lord
U from Missouri? Never even heard of anyone good from Missouri. We have a Sonic here who would beat your whole state in crews by himself. You don't know anything about our state so stfu.
^THIS.

lmao, you shouldnt expect people who think kirby loses to wolf to know anything about smash at all period though bro. that kinda logic comes from when your moms also your sister. which i dont doubt at all. cuz missouri river and stuffs.

how you managed to turn on the wii , use the tv and internet is a mystery the world may never know

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Btw, anyone who is reading this for knowledge on the Wolf/Kirby MU:

IMO, Kirbz beats Wolf but discount what ONE opinion of a MAJORITY that considers inhale from a FThrow as the greatest thing ever please. Read the MU summary and watch Y.b.M. take on Kain if you can find the vids and learn this MU.

ONCE AGAIN: One opinion, without reasonable evidence, should not sway opinion so feel free to browse summary and other posts.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
this mu: shield grab everything wolf has...combo him out of that, bair and up air him a lot, edgeguard...rinse and repeat

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Wait Fthrow to inhale is seriously guaranteed on Wolf?

That being said, there aren't many good Wolf players. While it's kinda gay for Wolf, it's doable IMO. Wolf has the tools to keep Kirby at bay and unless you hit him with something that sends him horizontally, a wolf shouldn't really have too much trouble recovering.

D

Deleted member

What kind of pan-scraped leftover meatloaf Wolves are you Kirby's fighting?

Zync

Smash Journeyman
This thread is full of win, seriously wolf should just quit playing kirby, 100:0 matchup.We might have the tools, but kirbys swallow is ABsolutely broken and we cant evade getting hit by it, which means instant death. Even if we camp blaster kirby can just force an inhale and beat wolf so darn easy.

Also it seems kirby just grabs wolf and wins, theres nothing we can do.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
wolf runs away with his superior air speed and range

he blasters kirby into approaching then runs away some more (he's really good at running)

should the kirby get too close wolf bairs him (bair beats all of kirby's moves save bair which trades hits and fsmash which will get shielded provided the wolf spaced well)

kirby decides to inhale, wolf uses autocancel fair and knocks kirby upside the head and beats inhale

gg kirby :3

/trolling.

wolf has the tools to just run away and pepper you with dmg until you make a mistake and then he punishes hard.
kirby does have great options against wolf, especially his low percent grab chains but good luck landing that grab, its pounded into every wolf's head to be wary of grabs.
fthrow can combo into inhale but only at lower percents where wolf would be able to mash his way out pretty easily, then you have to actually be by an edge.
i'd encourage any kirby to try that though, its obviously broken in this MU

wolfs recovery is booty for sure but keep underestimating it like most people do and you'll regret it when you find it really hard to gimp him.

i'd give this MU 60:40 wolf just cause of kirby's (apparent) inability to get in close if the wolf is careful and wolfs relative ease in killing kirby due to his low weight and wolfs strong finishers.

Top Bottom