• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Discussion: Diddy Kong

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
It's even or VERY slightly in our favor.

z00ted

I have alot of experience in this matchup and I also mess around with Diddy alot in friendlies.

Trying to kil him can sort of be an issue sometimes, I'll do a write up later athough I hate them.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
A Diddy that's attatched to his bananas is going to feel pain from Peach. She can out do his Banana work with her own.

What some people don't understand about Diddy, is that he doesn't NEED his bananas to be a good character. Adding them just made him slightly broken.

Except for that infinite he has... That's pretty broken..

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
diddy has an infinite? does it use bananas, because im thinking i might be mindblown right now D:

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
yes, a match-up discussion should just be ill dictating his absolutely correct opinions on the boards.

it shouldn't be about everyone that doesn't play gnes being able to share their ideas or think things through on their own.

everyone will get better purely by listening to what ill has to say.

input from lesser players should always be discouraged.

always.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
diddy has an infinite? does it use bananas, because im thinking i might be mindblown right now D:
Yeah, but it's a little hard for him to set it up. It's not impossible though.

yes, a match-up discussion should just be ill dictating his absolutely correct opinions on the boards.

it shouldn't be about everyone that doesn't play gnes being able to share their ideas or think things through on their own.

always.
Ohh, I see what you did thar. :p

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I very rarely play vs Diddy - I completely wing this match up. So yea, I'm all ears for any handy tips for it

All I know is that reverse Dairs (with you back facing Diddy) seem to work better than frontal Dairs and that Fair is good provided Diddy isn't either up and close to hit you out with his Fair (which is a really silly move imo) or firing a Peanut at you to mess up Floating shenanigans

Am I right in thinking that if you hit Diddy's shield whilst he's holding a banana, the best thing to do is to get another Dair in or a grab because Jabbing his shield risks getting OoS Banana'ed? Its not like he can use any of his aerials either since he's holding the banana so from what I've seen his best option is to roll or to hope to OoS punish whatever Peach is doing next...or does he have other stuff he can do?

z00ted

always.
Thank you for understanding, I barely play Gnes though.
Am I ****ting yet?

Player-1

Smash Legend
lol...you can do aerials with a banana just by z dropping it and then recatching it with the aerial, not hard at all.

and @rickerdy: IDK why you would do reverse dairs as opposed to forward dairs and also if you're talking about hitting diddy's shield with dair when he has a banana then I have no idea why you would think a side-b would be good.

z00ted

Side B's are rarely EVER good in this matchup.
The only time I would try to use a Peach Bomber is predicting a Diddy's banana pull and hitting him before he gets it out, or predicting his roll.

As for Diddy's it can hurt us because it can knock us out of the air. I don't know if our ftilt beats it, but I wouldnt risk it - if you know it's coming just stop it with a quick short hopped nair.

That's basically why I don't think this matchup is strongly in our favor - Diddy has alot of options of hitting us out of the air. Full hop dairs work well for me sometimes, it forces Diddy to chase you down and limits use of his bananas (he has to full hop throw to hit us or throw them up).

As far as the backwards dair thing, eh I sorta feel that it is always safer than approaching forwards but it tends to take too much time to actually think about and I would much rather have that pocket fair against a Diddy than a pocket bair.

z00ted

Eh everyone keeps on telling me that: but I particularly love the move.
It's very risky but it can deem alot of rewards if it connects.

I'll argue all day about it, but this is a matchup thread haha.

Gnes

Smash Master
What some people don't understand about Diddy, is that he doesn't NEED his bananas to be a good character. Adding them just made him slightly broken.
Lmao i hope ur joking

Side-B should only be used as a recovery option.
Eh everyone keeps on telling me that: but I particularly love the move.
It's very risky but it can deem alot of rewards if it connects.

I'll argue all day about it, but this is a matchup thread haha.
Your stubborness in accepting reality wont change anything. U might catch people who have no knowledge of peach with that move, but when u can simply shield the move on reaction(considering the gross start up animation)and punish/potentially kill oos, its obvious that the cons heavily outweigh the pros. In this one match I killed u twice for u using that move. That's all i've got to say regarding that.

How the hell did i get here anyways....

hiROI

Smash Lord
For the Diddy aerials annoying Peach, if you see him coming, just shutter step forward smash. And try to get Diddy above you and use uair, turnips, etc to get most damage since being on the ground won't get you anywhere in this match

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Did you know?

Banana glidetoss -> trip -> Peach Bomber is only guaranteed with bstick?

:bee:

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Lmao i hope ur joking
No, I'm not.

Diddy already has amazing combo potential. He has good speed. He has awesome arials, grabs, smashes, ect.

So, no. I'm not joking. Diddy is good without bananas. At least better off not using 2 against certain characters. Peach can take major advantage of Diddy if she gets a hold of one.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I'd say this match-up is 55-45... 60-40 Peach.

The best Diddy I have played was Dekar's, and it was only one friendly set at Devastation. I wish I could tell you guys what to do, but honestly I can't describe the thoughts that go on in my head when I'm fighting sometimes...

If you are playing smart, Diddy will have a VERY hard time killing Peach. Seriously, float is awesome in this matchup, but you have to use it wisely. Diddy has a few tricks up his sleeves to knock us out of the air, so be careful of peanut gun, bananas, and other aerials of Diddy's, notably fair and bair.

Bananas are probably the most annoying thing to deal with, but honestly Peach can make quick use of them with her awesome glidetosses and item capabilities. Make Diddy pay!! Don't forget to auto cancel aerials to pick up bananas too... but dash attack works ok too I guess. Be super careful where you land from a float if you see Diddy has both his bananas out, the banana setups can be really nasty sometimes.

Our goal should be to juggle this f***er in the air as much as we can. Not only that, but we want him to have a fresh supply of our veggies in the match. If you feel you are being pressured too much, try to get away as fast as possible and reset the situation with a reverse glidetoss.

We can be a mean girl when Diddy is trying to recover. Use turnips to mess up his recovery and use your float to hog the edge. Lately, I've been trying to go off stage more for edgeguards, so if you do that, be careful of his side B, it's annoying lol.

Get comfortable fighting on neutrals against Diddy and try to get Battlefield if you can with the striking system... if not SV is alright too. FD should definitely be the first you strike/ban. If Pictochat is legal, it's up to you whether you'd rather fight on Picto or FD. Counterpicking shouldn't be a problem for Peach against Diddy. Brinstar can work, but be wary of bananas, they can bounce on the log thingies lol. Rainbow Cruise is an obvious choice... YI might work... Lylat could be annoying too. It's really wherever you're comfortable. Now that I think of it... Frigate might be a good choice too.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
9 out of 10 he will do something with the banana.the only other thing I think he could do that's ok is side b. I don't see it often at all though.
and @rickerdy: IDK why you would do reverse dairs as opposed to forward dairs and also if you're talking about hitting diddy's shield with dair when he has a banana then I have no idea why you would think a side-b would be good.
I...didn't mention Side B at all :confused:

How on earth did we get onto a discussion of Side B?
I prefer reverse Dairs because there's more of a disjoint at the back of her legs than at the front. You know how Peach angles her legs when she does a Dair? You can tell by the way her shoulders and chest in this picture are angling down and to the right. Draw a (sort of) straight line diagonally down using the back part of her shoulders as a guideline for where her legs are (you need to curve the line out a bit for where her hips are) and you'll see what I mean

If you imagine where Peach's legs are when she's doing the Dair (difficult I know cause of the blotches but look to the right where the little bottom part of her dress is sticking out to help) you can see that the hitbox is much furthur away from her body (aka her hurtbox) in comparison to the front part of Dair
Using reverse Dairs basically helps you connect with moves like Diddy's Fair whilst making sure such moves don't get chance to actually connect with Peach's hurtbox. So you can space the Dairs more effectivly to beat out Peanuts, Fair etc.
...Am I making sense? :x

Did you know?

Banana glidetoss -> trip -> Peach Bomber is only guaranteed with bstick?

:bee:
Really? Can't you simply buffer a Side at the end of the Glide Toss? Lol why only with the B Stick?

As far as the backwards dair thing, eh I sorta feel that it is always safer than approaching forwards but it tends to take too much time to actually think about and I would much rather have that pocket fair against a Diddy than a pocket bair.
Eh thinking about it isn't an issue, it kind of gets locked into your muscle memory after you use it enough
Tbh, its a matter of preference. You can either choose to outspace Diddy's aerials with Fair or use Bair to smack Diddy after a whiffed aerial if neither his aerial or your Dair connect (since Peach's Bair shifts her so much in the direction of the Bair). You can use either method, or both if you fancy a mix up

If you're going to use front Dairs to beat out Diddy in the air, try using the tip of Dair so you avoid the risk of Diddy hitting you in the face where no part of Dair is covering you

Gnes

Smash Master
No, I'm not.

Diddy already has amazing combo potential. He has good speed. He has awesome arials, grabs, smashes, ect.

So, no. I'm not joking. Diddy is good without bananas. At least better off not using 2 against certain characters. Peach can take major advantage of Diddy if she gets a hold of one.
Uh no...he doesn't have AMAZING combo potential, he has average combo potential and thats only at low percents aka 0-40%. His smashes dont kill till 130/140+ with good DI on lighter members of the cast and no he is not good without naners. He does not benefit from any matchup(looking from it as a whole) by not using them and is severely limited without them. His main methods of approach and defense are centered around them u know. Also any character can take advantage of diddy having a naner, Even D3 has dangerous things and he doesnt even have a glide toss. ITS ESSENTIAL that diddy use two naners against peach because he needs 1 item to bring her out of the sky and another to hit her upon landing. And peanuts do not do this because of their abysmal priority.

I'm surprised this notion of diddy being good without his primary items is still alive.

Remember that your Jab is awesome in this matchup.

Top Bottom