• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mass Madness 16: MANGO MADNESS - Framingham, MA - June 13-14 - Melee and Brawl

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Yo matt do u know if any brawlers are comming to ur fest? besides me lol
People who will be at the fest:
Variola
Foy + His crew
Questor
Irish Mafia
Peach Kid
Riot
Relax + His buddy
Watkins
Dazwa
Darc
Boxman
Jimi
Fatal
Pnut might
th0rn knows about it so maybeeee him
Roman knows too
KevinM might show
Nuro also knows
Zoso knows

Those are the people going. Yeah, Brawlers will be there.

So Fatal

Smash Master
People who will be at the fest:
Variola
Foy + His crew
Questor
Irish Mafia
Peach Kid
Riot
Relax + His buddy
Watkins
Dazwa
Darc
Boxman
Jimi
Fatal
Pnut might
th0rn knows about it so maybeeee him
Roman knows too
KevinM might show
Nuro also knows
Zoso knows

Those are the people going. Yeah, Brawlers will be there.
sickkkkk, what time is everyone getting there?

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
sickkkkk, what time is everyone getting there?
2PM is when people can start arriving, so they'll be showing up whenever after that.

Also my buddy is bringing his 360 and idk what games but if anybody wants to bring controllers + games for the 360 then go for it and we can setup that.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I like FoD more too, sorry swift :(

but when I messed around with the music on my barlw, Onett's songs were moved onto Smashville :D

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Onett should not be seriously considered ever wtf is wrong with you people
so something like green greens should be right?

in short: if green greens can be made legal why not onett?

*commence serious business post*

I think that there is a valid argument as to why onett can be made legal if something like green greens or corneria(moreso an argument against green greens).

think about it. green greens is more random and its random elements effect the match way more than other random elements on other janky stages like jungle japes and corneria. Onetts cars are on a timer and occur consistently unlike the random dropping of bombs and apples and flippy coming to get mew2king on corneria. I think when it comes to random factors in stages onett can be considered.

its structure as a level is weird i'll give it that, but look at the comparable stages. green greens has just as many walls and pits to fall in. To add, characters who already have a big disadvantage cuz of the short sides and small ceiling(shiek falcon ganon) cannot even recover through the bricks.

my thoughts will eventually turn into a petition to replace green greens with onett on the standard list. Theres no way that I can be convinced that green greens is a more balanced and shall I say "fair" stage than onett.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
an expert's guide on playing onett

1. pick fawks
2. hit your opponent with 1 laser
3. hide behind a building
4. ????
5. profit

to be clear, onett is really stupid, somehow even more so than green greens.
oops i almost mistaken this a guide on how to play on corneria . this backs up why considering onett isnt sooooo crazy

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
it's stupider on Onett than Corneria or Green Greens because 4 has the added option of waveshine your opponent off the side. The options for approaching someone on the side of Onett compared to approaching someone fin camping corneria are a lot more limited due to the lack of a ledge (for invincibility frames on dropping) and the edge of the stage being so close that trying to distance yourself from the wall can mean "lol you got naired/shined out of the air, u r ded" not to mention that the fact that it being of both sides means that putting distance between yourself and the camper can just let them retreat to the same thing on the other side where at least on corneria, you force them to get past you on an FD like area to get back to fin camping.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Don't forget that also teaches you how to play on green greens.

I'm going to stay out of the argument though >.>

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Again, green greens isn't as bad. The "building" between you and fox in that case is destructible and lets you create a straight forward angle of approach rather than forcing you to approach from above (lol usmash, uair, bair, glhf approaching from above)

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
All I'm going to put in on this is that you realize not every plays fox/a character that can be waveshined.
Even if you CAN waveshine with fox its not that it means you can instantly beat somebody else on Onett.

Not to mention the cars stop you from waveshining after a point. o.o It's like pokemon stadium in that sense.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
it's stupider on Onett than Corneria or Green Greens because 4 has the added option of waveshine your opponent off the side. The options for approaching someone on the side of Onett compared to approaching someone fin camping corneria are a lot more limited due to the lack of a ledge (for invincibility frames on dropping) and the edge of the stage being so close that trying to distance yourself from the wall can mean "lol you got naired/shined out of the air, u r ded" not to mention that the fact that it being of both sides means that putting distance between yourself and the camper can just let them retreat to the same thing on the other side where at least on corneria, you force them to get past you on an FD like area to get back to fin camping.
dun think you are giving the stage enough credit. of all the matches ive seen on onett(singles / teams) ive never seen a team camp a side. I can find MANY vids of ppl camping corneria.

All I'm going to put in on this is that you realize not every plays fox/a character that can be waveshined.
Even if you CAN waveshine with fox its not that it means you can instantly beat somebody else on Onett.

Not to mention the cars stop you from waveshining after a point. o.o It's like pokemon stadium in that sense.
QFT

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
the angle of approach argument is much more relevant, but doesn't detract from the fact that it's stupid that shine = instant inescapable death on the sides vs. a non-trivial subset of characters.
edit: to add, chars who get waveshined in the manner you speak of already are at a huge disadvantge regardless. these same chars who can get waveshined also die earlier on corneria upwards and sideways the same goes for green greens. also waveshine, is not inescapable. Skler and Cort are the best ive seen in escaping waveshine i guess ask them. I think small ceiling and short sides are higher on the priority list than waveshining........unless you are eddie and you are facing zelgadis on YS Pipes

Ive seen skler get out of a waveshine and I've also seen cort get out of it MUTLIPLE times in tourney. also ive been grabbed out of shine by the following marths b4: HBK, lordknight, M2K.

It seemed that back in 05-06 Onett was still legal, then out of the blue everybody was like lol****thatstage
yea its not like its never been in tourney b4. I believe it got wiped along with peach castle(i am NOT advocating peaches castle)

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
so something like green greens should be right?

in short: if green greens can be made legal why not onett?

*commence serious business post*

I think that there is a valid argument as to why onett can be made legal if something like green greens or corneria(moreso an argument against green greens).

think about it. green greens is more random and its random elements effect the match way more than other random elements on other janky stages like jungle japes and corneria. Onetts cars are on a timer and occur consistently unlike the random dropping of bombs and apples and flippy coming to get mew2king on corneria. I think when it comes to random factors in stages onett can be considered.

its structure as a level is weird i'll give it that, but look at the comparable stages. green greens has just as many walls and pits to fall in. To add, characters who already have a big disadvantage cuz of the short sides and small ceiling(shiek falcon ganon) cannot even recover through the bricks.

my thoughts will eventually turn into a petition to replace green greens with onett on the standard list. Theres no way that I can be convinced that green greens is a more balanced and shall I say "fair" stage than onett.
walk off sides, what mogwai is saying

regardless I think both should be banned

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
ok, so let's ignore waveshine KOs, my argument doesn't hinge on that aspect and the approach argument is still is being completely ignored by you and M.Z.
im addressing things 1 by 1.

plz elaborate on this approach argument from what I've read you've just more than muttered it. If the approaches are similar which I believe they are amongst the janky stages mentioned then whats the point? If they are similar in approach then why can't onett receive similar consideration?

i rather not tackle everything in 1 post that way theres no wall of text or confusion

walk off sides, what mogwai is saying

regardless I think both should be banned
at least we halfway agree, im fine with that

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
its not about me having a stage that i feel that I can always win on. Its about me wanting to hear mother2 while playing super smash brothers melee for the gamecube nintendo

Top Bottom