• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I mean, they could just do what they did with Robin and Lucina and just livestream their reveals in I guess October because that's a month being thrown around? I'm still going hard in that there'll be a THICC Smash Direct on November 7th where they blow all their load on the game similar to the 50-facts whatever that they did for Smash Wii U.

cybersai

Smash Ace
You know if Skull Kid wasn't going to be playable, the Assist trophy simply should have been Skull Kid appearing and summoning down the Moon to explode on everyone. I have no idea why Sakurai removed Skull Kid as an Assist and then had the Moon as its own seperate thing, even if Skull Kid is later shown as a boss...it feels like that got our hopes up for nothing.

Ah well. Maybe now that Skull Kid's on everyones minds, he could have a shot at DLC.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I am extremely surprised that Skull Kid was not revealed in this direct.

I still think the chairs, pillows, and missing AT are hints to his inclusion personally.

Maybe he will be revealed later.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Bar a miracle, I'm off the Skull Kid train, despite still wanting him. loz18 also disappeared off of social media, probably to save face.

A new Pokemon is a guarantee and after that we only have 1-2 more newcomers at the most. Skull Kid can't be an echo so if he's not a newcomer, he's not playable.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
after that we only have 1-2 more newcomers at the most.
There's no reason to assume that. We're still short of the number of newcomers Melee and Brawl added let alone ****ing Smash4. We don't really know what Sakurai meant exactly when he said "Don't expect as many newcomers this time.", he could simply be referring to the fact that smash4 had so many.

I'm not giving up on him till the end of DLC, and still think he has some solid things going for him. The Moon assist trophy alone is pretty big.

SamDunk

Smash Cadet
Isabelle was going to have to get a reveal at some point anyway. The fact remains that Skull Kid is almost certainly in the game (considering the random replacement of his Assist Trophy with the Moon Assist Trophy), meaning he's got to be either playable or a boss. Now, of all the potential bosses to use from the Legend of Zelda franchise, why would you pick one that was never even a boss fight in the actual Zelda games?

I'm not even a stanch Skull Kid supporter, but aside from the characters leaked by Vergeben, I'm probably most confident about Skull Kid being playable. Today's reveal really didn't do anything to affect his chances.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
We are getting at least 2 more smash directs. Or smash Bros videos in general, I mean. Taking the smash 4 marketing as an example.
Well if thats the case then things should be looking up. And the more i think about it, the more i think this was a move to specifically lower the hype, so when the big reveals happen we'll crap our pants

For those disappointed in Isabelle, at least Tom Nook was the only deconfirmed character.
is he deconfirmed? I hope he is. I dont need more animal crossing.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
It was probably always going to be on Halloween.
I agree with this. If we get Skull Kid, I can see him being revealed around Halloween or in October. Him wearing a "mask" and all. I always thought they'd reveal Simon around Halloween, but Skull Kid would fit too. Isabelle not being an Echo is definitely shocking.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I agree with this. If we get Skull Kid, I can see him being revealed around Halloween or in October. Him wearing a "mask" and all. I always thought they'd reveal Simon around Halloween, but Skull Kid would fit too. Isabelle not being an Echo is definitely shocking.
Yep I agree. Skull kid's chances are just as high or even higher after isabelle. It just proves once more that mii costumes and missing ATs are getting made playable. Can't wait to see who's next really.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I don't really understand where all the disappointment comes from, personally. Were people really expecting 3-4 newcomers in a GENERAL Direct?! That is insanity, lol.

I was actually thinking during the Direct, how underwhelming it'd be if Skull Kid were shown. They were obviously pressed for time as it was, and I'd honestly rather see him shine during an actual Smash loadout Direct personally.

His chances remain the same, and we are still lined up for a potential late-October/early-November loadout (assuming they're going that route since they said we're going to know every fighter), which is an exciting time of year for Skull Kid.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Assuming there isn't a Smash direct for the rest of September, all we have is two months, October/November for the final reveals.

I really think Incineroar will be revealed next to get the Pokemon hype ready, they wouldn't save that for the end. Now I think Dixie may be a semi-clone similar to Isabelle. Aside from that? Who knows. There's still a Square rep rumored (possibly Geno), and then it's either Skull Kid or Isaac...or possibly a new third party rep.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
No one was deconfirmed! That was probably the best thing out of this. (Also grats to Isabelle) I really hope this doesn't kill any of your belief that Skull Kid is not in. All we can do is support our boy and wait for the Smash Direct when it comes.

Smash Apprentice
Wow it was literally ****ing nothing huh. At least he wasn't deconfirmed, but I'm really sort of pissed off that Isabelle isn't a full Echo.

Edit: The good news is that I still think this still doesn't preclude Skull Kid from being hinted at by the furniture because there was no Smash Logo before the trailer, and it wasn't a prerendered cutscene.

Edit 2: Rewatching there was the Smash logo at the beginning. But it wasn't prerendered. Dunno what this means for his chances. Vergeben is looking really accurate right now, though, and he's said nothing about Skull Kid either way...
I just want to bring people's attention back to this comment I made.

Actually, there was NO Smash logo at the beginning of the trailer during the Direct as I originally said (which would've given it away) but on the Ultimate website's version of Isabelle's reveal trailer (NOT the 30 sec fighter clip) there IS a Smash Logo at the beginning. So that bodes well for the furniture still hinting at Skull Kid.

I had rewatched her intro trailer for analysis on the Smash site and not the Direct on Youtube which is why I thought there was a Smash logo at the start of the trailer.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
I just want to bring people's attention back to this comment I made.

Actually, there was NO Smash logo at the beginning of the trailer during the Direct as I originally said (which would've given it away) but on the Ultimate website's version of Isabelle's reveal trailer (NOT the 30 sec fighter clip) there IS a Smash Logo at the beginning. So that bodes well for the furniture still hinting at Skull Kid.

I had rewatched her intro trailer for analysis on the Smash site and not the Direct on Youtube which is why I thought there was a Smash logo at the start of the trailer.
nice find

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'll be honest, there was only one character I probably would consider more likely than Skull Kid.

That character just got confirmed. The reason being I could see as echo OR unique

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Just wanted to pop in, and offer my support. Stay strong, skullbros, we'll make it to october together!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Isabelle's inclusion as a unique character is nothing but a bonus for Skull Kid.

She shows you don't need strong ballot support to get in, she was essentially in the same situation as Skull Kid in relation to Smash.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Isabelle's inclusion as a unique character is nothing but a bonus for Skull Kid.

She shows you don't need strong ballot support to get in, she was essentially in the same situation as Skull Kid in relation to Smash.
Also she was in the boat with Skull Kid in the sense of the assist trophy replacement theory with Isabelle, shadow, and skull kid.
She only helps, and the amount of people who think other wise need to temper their expectations, it wasn't do or die if he wasn't in this direct.

Last edited:

Kensho

Smash Apprentice
Smash Direct on October and November seems unrealistic. Really all they have left to speak on are online and Story.
Why would you think about it this way? Do you remember the absurd amount of smash brothers videos we got before smash 4? And they didn't even have a story mode really. I say 2 more smash specific directs and one or two possible characters in other stuff or independently. If previous marketing is anything to go by.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
lol "Isabelle brings a terrible fate!"

...sums up the reactions to her inclusion pretty well.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Isabelle was going to have to get a reveal at some point anyway. The fact remains that Skull Kid is almost certainly in the game (considering the random replacement of his Assist Trophy with the Moon Assist Trophy), meaning he's got to be either playable or a boss. Now, of all the potential bosses to use from the Legend of Zelda franchise, why would you pick one that was never even a boss fight in the actual Zelda games?

I'm not even a stanch Skull Kid supporter, but aside from the characters leaked by Vergeben, I'm probably most confident about Skull Kid being playable. Today's reveal really didn't do anything to affect his chances.
Personally the fact that she's a newcomer bodes poorly for Skull Kid, considering that IMO he's lower on the priority list for Nintendo. Characters like Banjo, Geno, a new Pokemon rep are all bigger concerns for Nintendo than Skull Kid, whether people want to admit it or not. Newcomers are at a premium if we take Sakurai's word, and it seems like to get in you either need to have a GIGANTIC fanbase or be important to your series in some way. Hell even the echoes were big names in the community, except for maybe Dark Samus (which we don't know how well she did on the ballot, same with SK).

People mention the fact that Isabelle wasn't popular on the ballot as more support for Skull Kid sure, but what you neglect to mention is that SHE IS THE FACE OF HER SERIES. I'd argue her inclusion actually makes characters like Skull Kid, Isaac and even something like Karate Joe less likely, because it gives further insight into how characters are being chosen this Smash game. And Isaac's fanbase dwarfs ours.

I don't want to be that guy and kill the hype too soon because I could be completely wrong (and I'd love it) but tone down your expectations everyone. I'm definitely not saying he's over and that we should just get ready for dlc, but boss status is looking like a possibility at the moment.

I have no doubt our next chance will be October, but if he doesn't show up then I think alarm bells should be going off.

KingMinjo91

Smash Apprentice
Also she was in the boat with Skull Kid in the sense of the assist trophy replacement theory with Isabelle, shadow, and skull kid.
She only helps, and the amount of people who think other wise need to temper their expectations, it wasn't do or die if he wasn't in this direct.
I can't help but see Isabelle as a good sign for Skull Kiddo. She is another assist trophy/mii costume character being added. He's in the same boat, let's hope he gets the same treatment.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Personally the fact that she's a newcomer bodes poorly for Skull Kid, considering that IMO he's lower on the priority list for Nintendo. Characters like Banjo, Geno, a new Pokemon rep are all bigger concerns for Nintendo than Skull Kid, whether people want to admit it or not.
Geno is a nobody, Sakurai may like him but he's not recognizable in the gaming community as a whole. And as much as I love Banjo he hasn't been around lately (last game came out 10 years ago). The only exception to your statement is Pokemon of course, the ever popular franchise. So I think it's funny that you seem so sure about what Nintendo considers a priority.

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
Has Sakurai made any comments about Zelda's representation in Smash Bros since WiiU or Brawl? I keep hearing about statements he's made acknowledging fan demand for Zelda newcomers or how the series has been a little neglected, although I haven't been able to locate it just yet. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Geno is a nobody, Sakurai may like him but he's not recognizable in the gaming community as a whole. And as much as I love Banjo he hasn't been around lately (last game came out 10 years ago). The only exception to your statement is Pokemon of course, the ever popular franchise. So I think it's funny that you seem so sure about what Nintendo considers a priority.
Well, no offense but couldn't you make the same case for Skull Kid? He was only prominently featured in one game, 18 years ago, and wasn't even in the base roster of the Musou game.

I'm not saying this to drag you guys down or anything. The same goes for Isaac who's my most wanted newcomer. I'm just saying I agree with the person you quoted that people need to keep their expectations in check. Nobody is guaranteed, and nobody is a lock. I would looooooooove for Skull Kid to be playable but in the grand scheme of things he's nowhere in the same realm of popularity as Isabelle, and he doesn't even have ballot results to point to like Isaac, Geno, and Banjo (again, all three of whom are far from guaranteed). Let's hype responsibly, friends. I've been supporting Isaac since Brawl and I can tell you guys that convincing yourselves your favorite character is definitely going to be in the game is a road that only leads to tears.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Well, no offense but couldn't you make the same case for Skull Kid? He was only prominently featured in one game, 18 years ago, and wasn't even in the base roster of the Musou game.

I'm not saying this to drag you guys down or anything. The same goes for Isaac who's my most wanted newcomer. I'm just saying I agree with the person you quoted that people need to keep their expectations in check. Nobody is guaranteed, and nobody is a lock. I would looooooooove for Skull Kid to be playable but in the grand scheme of things he's nowhere in the same realm of popularity as Isabelle, and he doesn't even have ballot results to point to like Isaac, Geno, and Banjo (again, all three of whom are far from guaranteed). Let's hype responsibly, friends. I've been supporting Isaac since Brawl and I can tell you guys that convincing yourselves your favorite character is definitely going to be in the game is a road that only leads to tears.
Well I didn't say Skull Kid is a lock. I've been down this road before I know how it is. And I agree you can make the same case for him, although he has had several cameos in different games- there's also the remake in the 3DS and Hyrule Warriors.

I just think it's funny how the guy I quoted talked as if he were a Nintendo spokesperson LOL

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Skull kid might be a "nobody" but the mask on his face sure isn't. If you can walk into any Hot-Topic and see it for sale on a T-shirt or a wallet it's safe to say the general public know about them.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Majora's mask is probably one of the top marketed icons of the whole Zelda series, no joke.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I'm starting to think that the Smash Direct furniture really was a tease for Skull Kid, but they decided to reveal Isabelle first so she wouldn't be fighter #69.
Honestly, that number is a better fit for Skull Kid anyway.

Smash Apprentice
At this point, I feel Skull Kid's most likely path to playable is the fact that he's by far the most popular potential Zelda newcomer, and Zelda hasn't had a new character in 10 or 17 years, depending on how you slice it. However, with Isabelle being added as a non-echo semi-clone/unique fighter (to what extent remains to be seen), I think that the common refrain of "Impa=Sheik Echo no ifs ands or buts about it" is worryingly unfounded. Do we really know that Sakurai would make Impa an Echo? Isabelle was a far more likely Echo than Impa was, when you consider that in Hyrule Warriors at least, she plays nothing like Sheik, and in Skyward Sword the only prominent attack she uses is magic based...

I do think fan demand is lower for Impa than Skull Kid (whatever little support he got on the ballot, she almost certainly got less) but she definitely might be the Zelda newcomer. What do you think?

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Majora's mask is probably one of the top marketed icons of the whole Zelda series, no joke.
Honestly that’s been my biggest reason why I see Skull Kid as having a chance for Smash. He may not always be the most requested character for Smash, but Majora’s Mask is just so iconic to Nintendo at this point and also really important to a lot of people. I could see as the representative of the game as a whole that occupies a rather unique place in Nintendo history. Which also coincides remake wise with the selection of the roster.

Plus today further gives credence that we might not be seeing other stages. It’s still possible, but took a hit today. Skull Kid is one of the few like a Pokémon that can still get in because of the breadth of existing Zelda stages. We even have the Great Temple Bay stage (Though I’d prefer we got a real Clocktown stage). And with Isabelle we now have two assist trophies getting the upgrade from Smash 4 that have been missing. He could just be a boss I suppose, but he’s one of the few left standing in all regards which I do think helps his chances overall for the game. I mean there are only a couple of possible other assists that could be upgraded, like Shadow and Dillion so we might be seeing him making it in on that.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Skull kid might be a "nobody" but the mask on his face sure isn't. If you can walk into any Hot-Topic and see it for sale on a T-shirt or a wallet it's safe to say the general public know about them.
So true.

Honestly, this is the big trump card that Skull Kid holds other characters don't, the Mask.

It's the big thing that gave me hope before the April direct. Nothing Geno, Isaac or Banjo hold are remotely comparable to just how iconic and recognised the Majora's Mask is.

And now we have a missing assist trophy seemingly replaced. Something Ashley fans could only wish for.

Skull Kid is just as likely as he was before Isabelle, if not more so.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Just coming in here to say that I fully expected Skull Kid and Bandanna Dee to not show up today. Why? Because their franchises already have songs on the website.

https://twitter.com/Dapuffster/status/1040086962508623873

Instead, we got a newcomer from a franchise that DOESN'T have music on the website, just like I predicted. In the three months that this website has been up, there has NOT been a single repeating franchise when it comes to Website music. This was also true in Brawl's Dojo.

Now we just wait to see if Animal Crossing gets music next week (which it probably last week's scheduled music since it was skipped over). If that's the case, I don't think things are looking good for Skull Kid. He's gonna have to break that pattern of either having a repeating franchise song on the website or not come with music as a newcomer. Sure, you could say the same thing for Ridley and Inkling, but both of them were revealed before the website even went up. This applies to K.Rool, Simon, and most likely Isabelle next week.

I think out of the two, he's more likely than Bandanna Dee but... I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

EDIT: Additionally, while I think Skull Kid will probably not make it into the base game, I think you guys easily have one of the strongest fanbases currently, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets added on as DLC.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Just coming in here to say that I fully expected Skull Kid and Bandanna Dee to not show up today. Why? Because their franchises already have songs on the website.

https://twitter.com/Dapuffster/status/1040086962508623873

Instead, we got a newcomer from a franchise that DOESN'T have music on the website, just like I predicted. In the three months that this website has been up, there has NOT been a single repeating franchise when it comes to Website music. This was also true in Brawl's Dojo.

Now we just wait to see if Animal Crossing gets music next week (which it probably last week's scheduled music since it was skipped over). If that's the case, I don't think things are looking good for Skull Kid. He's gonna have to break that pattern of either having a repeating franchise song on the website or not come with music as a newcomer. Sure, you could say the same thing for Ridley and Inkling, but both of them were revealed before the website even went up. This applies to K.Rool, Simon, and most likely Isabelle next week.

I think out of the two, he's more likely than Bandanna Dee but... I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

EDIT: Additionally, while I think Skull Kid will probably not make it into the base game, I think you guys easily have one of the strongest fanbases currently, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets added on as DLC.
Honestly I don't think music should be a good indication on what franchises still have newcomers left.

And I could see Skull Kid and maybe even Bandana Dee just using music rips from their games, and Isabelle's trailer didn't even use a new remix so I'm surprised they skipped a song for it anyway.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
But why not? I mean, sure. If next week isn't an Animal Crossing song, then you'll have more of a point. But if it is, then what?

I don't think the Music Theory deconfirms them. But I was confident enough to make a bold enough prediction that two of the most anticipated characters would not show up today, and they didn't. Not to mention, now that Vergeben is even more right than before, it's safe to say that we're getting a slot for a new pokemon, and a slot for the 2nd Square rep. There's not really many spots open. Not enough for people to get both Skull Kid AND Bandanna Dee.

We can be generous as all heck and say that there will be 2 more directs both with 2 newcomers. That's not going to be much to work with.

Pokemon, Sonic, and Xenoblade are all series that are very likely to get new characters that don't have songs on the website as well. I think that right there is something to be worried about.

I also think they skipped the Animal Crossing song because it probably would have spoiled something. People DID check the website code and all to find out the entry numbers for the blogs, and people would have noticed it for sure. Again, we'll just have to wait and see if there really is an Animal Crossing song next week.

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I really wish people would stop obsessing over leaks. Anyone can make them and of all the "leaks" on the internet, some are bound to have lucky guesses. The only leaks I remember being accurate are Roy and Ryu being found months before their announcement and the pre smash 3DS pictures that showed Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt. One was a data mine and the other was legit insider info by an employee who took a bunch of pictures of the game.

Not to mention that some of the more accurate leaks could actually be made by Nintendo. So a leak might be accurate about a bunch of characters who are confirmed and get obscure characters no one expected right, only for later to have characters not in the leak be in the game and some of the "leaked" characters turn out not to be in the game. It generates discussion and it purposely misleads people by playing with their expectations.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I really wish people would stop obsessing over leaks. Anyone can make them and of all the "leaks" on the internet, some are bound to have lucky guesses. The only leaks I remember being accurate are Roy and Ryu being found months before their announcement and the pre smash 3DS pictures that showed Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt. One was a data mine and the other was legit insider info by an employee who took a bunch of pictures of the game.

Not to mention that some of the more accurate leaks could actually be made by Nintendo. So a leak might be accurate about a bunch of characters who are confirmed and get obscure characters no one expected right, only for later to have characters not in the leak be in the game and some of the "leaked" characters turn out not to be in the game. It generates discussion and it purposely misleads people by playing with their expectations.
Kind of ironic when a big portion of Skull Kid's fanbase came from Loz's leak

Choose to not believe the leaks if you want to, some people are like that. Doesn't matter how many times a leaker get things right, they'll never believe it. Ridley, No Cuts, Ice Climbers, Snake, Simon, Isabelle....

I laughed at the idea of Ridley/Simon when the rumors first came out, thought nothing of it. But you can win me over with correct predictions. He's done enough for me to believe him.

"Not to mention that some of the more accurate leaks could actually be made by Nintendo. So a leak might be accurate about a bunch of characters who are confirmed and get obscure characters no one expected right, only for later to have characters not in the leak be in the game and some of the "leaked" characters turn out not to be in the game. It generates discussion and it purposely misleads people by playing with their expectations. "

Again, it sort of feels like you're talking about your own character here. What with a certain somebody having to lay low because Skull Kid was apparently made as a trap to catch leakers.

EDIT: Vergeben's Pokemon prediction also lines up with the fact that we haven't gotten a Pokemon song yet on the website. I mean sure, you can ignore the Vergeben stuff if you want, but there's also the music to consider.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Pokemon, Sonic, and Xenoblade are all series that are very likely to get new characters that don't have songs on the website as well. I think that right there is something to be worried about.
The only one of those I think is getting a unique character is Pokemon.

I'd find it weird to get another Xenoblade character and have Gaur Plains as the only stage.

And I don't see a third party franchise getting a unique second character, the most Sonic would get is Shadow as an echo. And music has tied into echo reveals at all. We got Dark Samus after Metroid music was on the website.

Top Bottom