• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marvel gets bought by Disney for $4 billion.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Trufax, bro.

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Pool Room, but since it's more entertainment-related, I figured it'd go here. I just hope Disney doesn't try and interfere with the writing process of any of Marvel's comics to try and make them more kid-friendly.

Also, first person to bring up Kingdom Hearts gets slapped.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Um... this won't really change much for Marvel. Disney owns a lot of other things, and I don't see them interfering with their [Marvel's] creative process.

G U R U

Smash Lord
Disney hasn't made anything good since their early cartoon movies like Aladdin, Lion King, etc.

I still need to watch Ponyo but it's probably just standard Ghibli with Disney name stamped on it so it won't even count AND I heard it wasn't that great compared to his other movies to begin with.

/end flame disney rant

CRASHiC

Smash Hero

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, this has got to be the craziest news of the year. :eek:

Then again, the Buena Vista branch has been fixated on releasing the 90s X-Men cartoon on DVD lately.

On the bright side, this hopefully means that the missing Tick episodes (involving mole men and a Galactus parody) will actually get released on DVD now.

Hmmm the x-men and sora fighting colosuss..... seems pretty awesome to me :chuckle: XD
Nah, how about the X-Men and Sora vs. Juggernaut? :cool:

Scott!

Smash Lord
Disney hasn't made anything good since their early cartoon movies like Aladdin, Lion King, etc.

I still need to watch Ponyo but it's probably just standard Ghibli with Disney name stamped on it so it won't even count AND I heard it wasn't that great compared to his other movies to begin with.

/end flame disney rant
O_o Aladdin and The Lion King are early Disney? Uh... According to Wikipedia, Disney has officially released 48 animated films so far, with a few more in production. This does not count ones made by Pixar, or others, just Disney ones. Aladdin and The Lion King are #31 and #32 respectively, so 2/3 of the other films Disney has made came before them. Aladdin came out less than 17 years ago, while their first, Snow White, is about 72 years old. Early Disney is the true classics like Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, etc. The ones you named are from the peak of the Disney Renaissance, which started with the Little Mermaid. (Though the Great Mouse Detective and Oliver & Company were warm-ups to get Disney back in the groove.)

Also, @Crashic: I haven't seen that movie that you say is ripped off by The Lion King. But either way, Lion King is one heck of a great movie. Its originality, or possible lack thereof, does not make it a worse film in terms of storytelling.

Anyway, I would be pretty surprised if Disney's ownership shows through in the content itself at all. It's not like Disney's going to turn it all into High School Musical meets Spiderman or something idiotic like that. That's just silly to even think.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Also, @Crashic: I haven't seen that movie that you say is ripped off by The Lion King. But either way, Lion King is one heck of a great movie. Its originality, or possible lack thereof, does not make it a worse film in terms of storytelling.
Thank you for saying this. I've seen Kimba and I'd rather watch the Lion King anyday. It's better in pretty much every possibly way.

And I'm almost positive that Disney owns Kimba so at worst they are ripping off themselves.

Regarding the story, Disney owns a lot of companies (it was even rumored they were going to buy EA) it won't change a thing.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Well, maybe the two could collaborate instead of Disney buying Capcom...

But anyway, to every1 who posted so far, your ideas of Disney destroying Marvel are hilarious :laugh:! Sora and the X-men vs Juggernaut/Colossus, a Hannah Montanna comic, and Spiderman meets HSM would be...mostly horrible ideas- but I can't help but laugh at these creative nightmares :laugh:.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Hanna Montana is the daughter of Mystique.
The Johnas Brothers is really one Xman with the power of self dublication.
Raven will also make scheduled appreances on comics, and they are planning a trip into magnetos mind, which features many homages to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, where magnetos separate personality traits will be represented by the seven dwarfs, as voiced by the the Cyrus family.

Thank you for saying this. I've seen Kimba and I'd rather watch the Lion King anyday. It's better in pretty much every possibly way.

And I'm almost positive that Disney owns Kimba so at worst they are ripping off themselves.
Regarding the story, Disney owns a lot of companies (it was even rumored they were going to buy EA) it won't change a thing.

But the level to which they ripped off is just horrible.
I mean. . several scenes are exactly alike in script and direction, the only thing they are missing is Elton John music.
You can just excuse laziness and plagiarism since, "they did it better" especially since it only resulted in cheesy Elton John songs, horrible puns, and some sad attempts at life lessons that everything Disney touches must have.
Disney. Is. Not. Good.
Never was, never will be.
And you can't use the excuse, 'its a kid movie' because Kiki's Delivery Service is my favorite movie of all time, and both it an Ratatoule are far better movies than anything Disney has ever put out.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lmao so Disney's strategy is to buy the rights to Pixar Ghibli and Marvel

producers of great art that Disney can hide behind...

sigh, they need to go back to their roots. the disney princess classics were some good stuff for young girls. the lion king and aladdin were definitely good.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
If this merger brings back X-Men: Evolution, I will be pleased. If it doesn't, BURN THE WITCH.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Hanna Montana is the daughter of Mystique.
The Johnas Brothers is really one Xman with the power of self dublication.
Raven will also make scheduled appreances on comics, and they are planning a trip into magnetos mind, which features many homages to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, where magnetos separate personality traits will be represented by the seven dwarfs, as voiced by the the Cyrus family.

I mean. . several scenes are exactly alike in script and direction, the only thing they are missing is Elton John music.
You can just excuse laziness and plagiarism since, "they did it better" especially since it only resulted in cheesy Elton John songs, horrible puns, and some sad attempts at life lessons that everything Disney touches must have.
Disney. Is. Not. Good.
And you can't use the excuse, 'its a kid movie' because Kiki's Delivery Service is my favorite movie of all time, and both it an Ratatoule are far better movies than anything Disney has ever put out.

Now you're just trolling.

To say that Disney was never good spits in the face of some of the animation industrys most talented artist, musicians and storytellers. It doesn't matter if you like them but to say that aren't good is just silly. I would never call any of Disney's best "kids movies" anyways. Disney rarely releases kids movies. Most of their films are family films.

These are just our opinions but at least my opinion has the accolades of milions of people and a best picture nomination to back it up. :p

Mewter

Smash Master
THE Great Mickey VS Symbiote Venom

Somehwere up on the rooftops, Spiderman (Voiced by Zack Effron) is riding Simba/whatever fighting Venom (Zack Effron again) riding on Scar, and then Spiderman is knocked out until...
Mickey Mouse VS VENOM
Mickey flies out from behind a helicopter and tackles Venom head-on. He is knocked off and can't curse so he mutters something to the effect of "Goshdarnit!" and shoves Mickey off. Goofy then declares that he can't do that to his friend, and flies at him!
Venom laughs evilly and spends eons talking and then runs off, but Wolverine blocks him! Venom looks back to see that he's surrounded, but it's not the end yet! Venom lunges at Mickey and envelops him, but...

Mickey wins due to the power of friendship, and is immune to Venom's symbiotic powers! The defeation scene simply shows Venom fading away, going "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"
And in the end, all the Marvel characters Disney characters are dancing around in a cafeteria, singing about the moral of the story and asking "What time is it?"
"Summertime!"

Note:
This is purely for laughs. No insults meant. :)
Surprising news, though.

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
Disney owns a lot of other properties already, I doubt they are gonna change much. Maybe a cameo here and there in some disney cartoon but don't see them going all out trying to change Marvel comics. Probably try to release more kid friendly comics which I see that as a positive thing.

Disney. Is. Not. Good.
Disney did blatantly ripped off a lot of aspects out of Kimba but saying Disney was never good is just absurd. Along with the Lion King a lot of their animations have been beautiful and for a long time they were the best. Disney was so good that Osamu Tezuka, the guy who made kimba and often refer to as the "father of manga/anime" was inspired by Disney itself.

I dunno, if the guy was around I don't think he would agree that disney was never good.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Now you're just trolling.

To say that Disney was never good spits in the face of some of the animation industrys most talented artist, musicians and storytellers. It doesn't matter if you like them but to say that aren't good is just silly. I would never call any of Disney's best "kids movies" anyways. Disney rarely releases kids movies. Most of their films are family films.

These are just our opinions but at least my opinion has the accolades of milions of people and a best picture nomination to back it up. :p

1. Not trolling
2. Elton John is cheesy
3. The stories were full of stupid humor, and pretty cookie cutter story lines
4. pretty pictures are pretty but that doesn't make a great movie.
5. Awards are biased towards Disney. Case and point, Ratatoule winning best animated film over Persepolis.
6. Popular does not equal good. The Beatles and Disney themselves prove that pretty throughly.
7. A lot of people hate disney as well. Jamie Hewlet, most known for Tank Girl and Gorillaz, has expressed his intense hatred of what Disney turned the American animation industry into. This is just one example of someone in the industry claiming that Disney is not good, which clearly they aren't.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Wait, CRASH. Are you arguing that Disney isn't an entertaining franchise or that it's an unhealthy franchise?

If it's the latter, I would appreciate an explanation. If it's the former, then quite simply, it's only an opinion. :D

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I don't think that something being popular automatically makes it good. I said the because your arguments basically equate to the sentiments of your typically console fanboy. Wether it be "Halo sux, or Mario is for n00bs", there is a reason that that these products are so widely regarded. Because they are good. And as a by product of them being good they become popular.

You refuse to acknowledge the difference between personal preference and quality. You didn't simply say "I prefer Miyazaki or Pixar films", you said "Disney is not good and never has been". When you're so incredibly biased it becomes evident that it's not worth the time spent responding to you.

You aren't even paying attention to you own arguments anymore. You said that Ratatoule was better than anything that Disney put out and just now said that awards are biased to Disney becausae Ratatoule won.

You's trollin.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I don't think that something being popular automatically makes it good. I said the because your arguments basically equate to the sentiments of your typically console fanboy. Wether it be "Halo sux, or Mario is for n00bs", there is a reason that that these products are so widely regarded. Because they are good. And as a by product of them being good they become popular.

You refuse to acknowledge the difference between personal preference and quality. You didn't simply say "I prefer Miyazaki or Pixar films", you said "Disney is not good and never has been". When you're so incredibly biased it becomes evident that it's not worth the time spent responding to you.

You aren't even paying attention to you own arguments anymore. You said that Ratatoule was better than anything that Disney put out and just now said that awards are biased to Disney becausae Ratatoule won.

You's trollin.
Yes, because its owned by Disney. That's the only reason it won. Persepolis, quality wise and of artistic value and merit, deserved that award hands down.

Also, again, anyone who uses popularity as an argument is a fool, and I could give you a huge rant about why FPS (halo included) are a stagnant, an horrid genre for the most part, devoid of any game design improvments in the past 5 years.
Also, are you sure its me who can't tell the difference? First off, you made the assumption that I must have been trolling by saying Disney is always bad. "He thinks Disney movies were bad? No, no one can think that! They are great, he must be a troll!" You claim faulty logic when you ignore your own.

The lack artistic merit animation aside, the horrid bland writing, the prevalent use of racial stereotypes masked as cute talking animals, the constant 'influence' of stories long been told, among many other things show a sheer lack outstanding achievements in Disney's life span.

As for the reason Disney is big, they got rich off the baby boom generation, Disney saw a market for a huge population of children, and he went after it. He provided stories and characters that were in no way outstanding or original, but were friendly and familiar enough to keep kids quite, and make parents contempt. Popularity is in no way a sign of quality, and certainly not a sign of artistic merit. Disney, along side Dreamworks animation, who is constantly trying to bank in on the market of reusing old material (Shrek) and talking animals (countless horrible animation movies by Dreamworks) has, as one critic put it while reviewing the Japanese film Paparika, kept 'American animation industry in the stone age, while Japanese animators shoot for the stars." As we see from other animated movies around the world, not only are they able to capture a broader range of audiences, but their animation styles are constantly growing and evolving, while Disney's new movie still sits in its ways of old, a talking frog, a princess, an obvious story arc, and of course, blatant racial stereotypes. (not just talking about Japan. France, UK, even Arabic countries express more progress in their animation than anything Disney or Dreamworks has put out in the past 30 years.)

an update for everyone
http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22747

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I dunno why you people think Disney will try to make Marvel kid friendly. Disney also owns ABC and ESPN.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
That's why they're keeping drug use out of sports because DisneySPN doens't like it >:c

Top Bottom