• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marvel gets bought by Disney for $4 billion.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I don't know what to feel.

I read Marvel a lot. I like a lot about Disney and hate a bit of Disney (read: Disney Channel live action). Marvel was already moving in a direction that as a whole I liked very much (main exception being Spider-Man comics). This could add more good or it could make things really bad.

The one thing I do not want to see come from Disney into Marvel are their Disney Channel television actors getting roles in the upcoming and future MARVEL movies.

I didn't think about the Universal aspect until just now, but you're right, MARVEL was a very big part of Islands of Adventure. I wonder if they will shut down that section of the park. Sucks. Hulk coaster, Spider-Man ride, Dr. Doom drop were very fun. Also, seeing the super-heroes walk around the park was very fun.

Obviously this is a very good move for Disney to attract one target demographic, which is young guys. But a hella lot of people read Marvel.

I don't really give two ****s about the Kingdom Hearts universe so I don't care about seeing Wolverine or Spider-man running around with Sora or Goofy. I do not want to see Sora beat the crap out of Magneto or Dr. Doom or the Green Goblin. I would vomit.

Honestly, I don't want to see too many effects of the merger. I do not. Both companies were doing great on their own. I want to see the great management and advertisement from Disney grace Marvel.

M@v

Subarashii!
Disney accomplished 2 major things by this:
A. They are going to make lots of money off of the marvel comics and movies.
B. They screwed their biggest rival in them parks, universal, out of their best theme.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
disney vs marvel vs capcom: match of the millenium 2009

my team is strider on point, donald duck on anti air, and deadpool on projectile.

but in all honesty im pessimistic about this, unless dvmvc becomes a reality.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
.......what?
Bad joke about trying to keep drugs out of sports so it's family friendly for Disney's ESPN.

Yeah, flat out crap joke actually.

EDIT: Chok, not sure, was on Kotaku.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
SPIDERMAN? Chapter 1.

The name's Parker, Peter Parker. I was supposed to have been bitten by a spider to gain incredible spider abilities. But instead my story got nerfed worse than Falcon in Brawl, and biting is too graphic for children.... Now, one day walking down the street, I looked at a spider, and it looked at me, and thus Spiderman was born. I won't question why no one else on the planet doesn't have such powers, even though logically speaking everyone should have such powers. God, this plot development is bad already. This makes about as much sense as google translator.

Head Exec: Peter, we are trying to make today's youth more intelligent. Therefore, you are no longer Spiderman, but Arachnid Humanoid Interface #1.

Peter: There are going to be more than one?

Head Exec: Yes, Venom is such a violent thing for kids to think of. Carnage? HA! Such a foul word and Doppelganger? He's twice as bad.

Peter: But, but, but-

Head Exec: Do not question our bad logic behind such decisions. We can easily have Charlotte replace you.

Peter: But Charlotte isn't even a hu-

Head Exec: You've been wasting the plot, you must save your uncle.

Peter: D: I'll go! Spider- er Arachnid Humanoid Interface#1 AWAY! *starts to shoot web*

Head Exec: No, no, no! Web slinging is too dangerous! You must walk!

Peter: Can't you loan me a car or some-

Head Exec: Chaaaaaaaaaaaarlotte!

Peter: Okay I'm walking darn it....

Peter somehow arrives at the scene of the crime in which people are confused about because this story makes no sense. Much like Disney buying our Marvel. EH?! Ever thought about the uprise, Disney?! DID YOU?! WE'RE GONNA WOMBO COMBO YOU INTO NEXT TUESDAY- errrrrrrrr, back to the point. Peter arrived to try to save his uncle Ben from the evil bad guy that can't be called by anything other than "The evil bad guy"

Peter: What are you doing?!

Evil bad guy: Your appearance was so.... conspicuous.... I would think you would at least sneak up on me or something.

Peter: Fool, this is Disney now, you cannot harm me, or my Uncle Ben.

Evil bad guy: I was not planning on it! >=D You see, I have this magical (gun) banana, which I can use to turn your Uncle Ben into anything!

Peter: *obligatory gasp* I shall stand here helplessly, rather than sling a web at you!

Evil bad guy: *turns Uncle Ben into rice*

Peter: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! UNCLE BEN'S RICE!!!!!!!!!!! *falls to knees* You will pay.

Evil bad guy: *throws five dollars on the floor* Since you are Disney owned you shall nto be able to stop me! Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! *leaves without punishment*

Shall I continue?

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Is Ponyo good? It has this 90's anime look to it lol

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Well Disney has been sucking lately, It USED to be good. It's really classics, in my opinion, was before the renaissance with the exception of Beauty and the beast. However, ever since Walt Disney himself died, it all went downhill. seriously. those Disney Channel Original Movies are all a bunch of crap, and they have to rely on Pixar to make a good movie. Even Pixar is starting to lose it. the last 4 movies. (Cars, ratatouiile, Wall-E Up) cant really compare to let's say, Finding nemo, or Monsters Inc.

M@v

Subarashii!
I was at disney world from aug 7th-14th, and I noticed some significant changes from when I was there 2 years ago:

Disney was becoming even more child like. Example, every toy gun that they sell is now green with a bright red barrel. Yes, green with a bright red barrel. Also, the two newest rides were kid themed; a kim possible scavenger hunt -_-, and a toy story ride, which is pretty much a 3D kid version of MIB in Orlando. It was still good though.

I'm hoping they bust out a Marvel-themed thrill ride. That would be sicckkk. The Spiderman ride in universal is fun.

Scott!

Smash Lord
The new Toy Story ride is ridiculously fun though. Just because it's kid-friendly doesn't mean it is inferior. But every gun is green? Even the Pirates of the Caribbean ones and such? Because last time I was there, just over a year ago, they were still your standard, semi-realistically-colored brown and black. I'd get why, in this day and age where parents freak out over anything remotely realistic coming into contact with their kids.

I wonder if they'll put any Marvel rides anywhere though. They'd go in MGM if anywhere in Disney World. (No, I don't care if MGM isn't the official name anymore. It's still MGM to me.) But it just seems to clash too much with the Disney image they've got going on. Though, they do have the Indiana Jones show and Star Tours, as well as the Tower of Terror and the Rock & Roller Coaster, all of which are based on things from a somewhat more adult, or at least less juvenile, perspective. So there is precedence, at least. But has Universal said anything about the future of their Marvel rides yet?

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
Well Disney has been sucking lately, It USED to be good. It's really classics, in my opinion, was before the renaissance with the exception of Beauty and the beast. However, ever since Walt Disney himself died, it all went downhill. seriously. those Disney Channel Original Movies are all a bunch of crap, and they have to rely on Pixar to make a good movie.
True dat.

Wall-E Up cant really compare to let's say, Finding nemo, or Monsters Inc.
You fail.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
The made for TV movies follow the exact same format that Disney himself set up.

Reuse a classic story, include musical numbers (weather by singing or silent moments with song ontop of it), use racial stereotypes for humor, the only thing they are missing is talking animals.

And in case you didn't notice, Pixar follows this format exceedingly close as well.

As for the takeover, what happens to the rides at Universal? Are they going to be shut down, re themed, or does Universal have to pay some licensing fees to Disney now?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Classic stories are what touch people. Pixar focuses on the delivery and the visuals as simply a huge enhancement. I still respect them for their creativity in those aspects.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
OH! I gots a good idea. What about the team of zack effron, hannah montana, Mr. Incredible and the dare devil in the next marvel ultimate alliance game? Seems like the perfect team to take down Gigi from wizards of waverly place XD

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
This is too funny.

I really don't know how to take this. So many possibilities have presented themselves.
And many of them sound AWFUL.

Oh, and Kimba > Lion King. The End.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Yes, because its owned by Disney. That's the only reason it won. Persepolis, quality wise and of artistic value and merit, deserved that award hands down.

Also, again, anyone who uses popularity as an argument is a fool, and I could give you a huge rant about why FPS (halo included) are a stagnant, an horrid genre for the most part, devoid of any game design improvments in the past 5 years.
Also, are you sure its me who can't tell the difference? First off, you made the assumption that I must have been trolling by saying Disney is always bad. "He thinks Disney movies were bad? No, no one can think that! They are great, he must be a troll!" You claim faulty logic when you ignore your own.
I specifically said that I don't think something is good just because it's popular. I said that something isn't bad just because it's popular. I also didn't say that your opinion was invalid just because you don't like Disney. It's invalid because you fail to recognize that even though you might not like it there are more than legitimate reasons to do so. Quit with the strawmen.

As for the reason Disney is big, they got rich off the baby boom generation, Disney saw a market for a huge population of children, and he went after it. He provided stories and characters that were in no way outstanding or original, but were friendly and familiar enough to keep kids quite, and make parents contempt. Popularity is in no way a sign of quality, and certainly not a sign of artistic merit. Disney, along side Dreamworks animation, who is constantly trying to bank in on the market of reusing old material (Shrek) and talking animals (countless horrible animation movies by Dreamworks) has, as one critic put it while reviewing the Japanese film Paparika, kept 'American animation industry in the stone age, while Japanese animators shoot for the stars." As we see from other animated movies around the world, not only are they able to capture a broader range of audiences, but their animation styles are constantly growing and evolving, while Disney's new movie still sits in its ways of old, a talking frog, a princess, an obvious story arc, and of course, blatant racial stereotypes. (not just talking about Japan. France, UK, even Arabic countries express more progress in their animation than anything Disney or Dreamworks has put out in the past 30 years)
This is such garbage, I don't even know where to begin. You accuse Disney of reusing old material and racial sterotypes. Have you watched your average anime? How many have the black person drawn like a clown? The middle eastern guy with the big nose and the turban? Reused ideas? Insert amnesic child, robot girl, gundam and/or superpower here and you have the majority of anime storylines.

Do all Japanese artist do this? Not at all, Studio Ghibli among others, set themselves apart with storytelling and animation. Same with Disney and your average western animated show.

The only thing you've done is remind why I don't usually bother with forums outside of the broom and why the DH is a shell of it's former self.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
SPIDERMAN? Chapter 1.

The name's Parker, Peter Parker. I was supposed to have been bitten by a spider to gain incredible spider abilities. But instead my story got nerfed worse than Falcon in Brawl, and biting is too graphic for children.... Now, one day walking down the street, I looked at a spider, and it looked at me, and thus Spiderman was born. I won't question why no one else on the planet doesn't have such powers, even though logically speaking everyone should have such powers. God, this plot development is bad already. This makes about as much sense as google translator.

Head Exec: Peter, we are trying to make today's youth more intelligent. Therefore, you are no longer Spiderman, but Arachnid Humanoid Interface #1.

Peter: There are going to be more than one?

Head Exec: Yes, Venom is such a violent thing for kids to think of. Carnage? HA! Such a foul word and Doppelganger? He's twice as bad.

Peter: But, but, but-

Head Exec: Do not question our bad logic behind such decisions. We can easily have Charlotte replace you.

Peter: But Charlotte isn't even a hu-

Head Exec: You've been wasting the plot, you must save your uncle.

Peter: D: I'll go! Spider- er Arachnid Humanoid Interface#1 AWAY! *starts to shoot web*

Head Exec: No, no, no! Web slinging is too dangerous! You must walk!

Peter: Can't you loan me a car or some-

Head Exec: Chaaaaaaaaaaaarlotte!

Peter: Okay I'm walking darn it....

Peter somehow arrives at the scene of the crime in which people are confused about because this story makes no sense. Much like Disney buying our Marvel. EH?! Ever thought about the uprise, Disney?! DID YOU?! WE'RE GONNA WOMBO COMBO YOU INTO NEXT TUESDAY- errrrrrrrr, back to the point. Peter arrived to try to save his uncle Ben from the evil bad guy that can't be called by anything other than "The evil bad guy"

Peter: What are you doing?!

Evil bad guy: Your appearance was so.... conspicuous.... I would think you would at least sneak up on me or something.

Peter: Fool, this is Disney now, you cannot harm me, or my Uncle Ben.

Evil bad guy: I was not planning on it! >=D You see, I have this magical (gun) banana, which I can use to turn your Uncle Ben into anything!

Peter: *obligatory gasp* I shall stand here helplessly, rather than sling a web at you!

Evil bad guy: *turns Uncle Ben into rice*

Peter: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! UNCLE BEN'S RICE!!!!!!!!!!! *falls to knees* You will pay.

Evil bad guy: *throws five dollars on the floor* Since you are Disney owned you shall nto be able to stop me! Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! *leaves without punishment*

Shall I continue?
:laugh: Uncle Ben's Rice?...wow...

Continue? Your choice.

POKE40

Smash Lord
I was at disney world from aug 7th-14th, and I noticed some significant changes from when I was there 2 years ago:

Disney was becoming even more child like. Example, every toy gun that they sell is now green with a bright red barrel. Yes, green with a bright red barrel. Also, the two newest rides were kid themed; a kim possible scavenger hunt -_-, and a toy story ride, which is pretty much a 3D kid version of MIB in Orlando. It was still good though.

I'm hoping they bust out a Marvel-themed thrill ride. That would be sicckkk. The Spiderman ride in universal is fun.

It got me wondering

Disney has marvel.

Islands of Adventure has a Marvel Super Hero Island.
Does Universal Studios have to get their marvel stock from Disney now?

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I know that, at least for a while, the stuff at Universal is staying there because they have the rights to it. I do not, however, know if that will change or was part of the deal with Disney

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Disney said that they are going to deal with videogame related contracts as they expire. So the same is probably true here.

I think (hope) we should see some improvement in the qaulity of film releases if they all stay in house from now on.

M@v

Subarashii!
The new Toy Story ride is ridiculously fun though. Just because it's kid-friendly doesn't mean it is inferior. But every gun is green? Even the Pirates of the Caribbean ones and such? Because last time I was there, just over a year ago, they were still your standard, semi-realistically-colored brown and black. I'd get why, in this day and age where parents freak out over anything remotely realistic coming into contact with their kids.

I wonder if they'll put any Marvel rides anywhere though. They'd go in MGM if anywhere in Disney World. (No, I don't care if MGM isn't the official name anymore. It's still MGM to me.) But it just seems to clash too much with the Disney image they've got going on. Though, they do have the Indiana Jones show and Star Tours, as well as the Tower of Terror and the Rock & Roller Coaster, all of which are based on things from a somewhat more adult, or at least less juvenile, perspective. So there is precedence, at least. But has Universal said anything about the future of their Marvel rides yet?
True. The line was really long, but it was fun. Its a shooting gallery, but notice how they didn't use "guns" but "cannons"? Whatever. I still got 149,000 as my score :p. Also, I remember what else made me disappointed. Disney quest has NO Fps games anymore. But they had Marvel vs Capcom 2, so I forgive them ;). <3 Disney.

Frank West

Smash Apprentice
Seems like a good business move for Disney. Not sure what to feel about Marvel though. I'm actually a little surprised they're still worth 4 billion. But yeah it goes without saying, we won't be seeing any major effects of this merger. Disney knows better than to **** with something like this, especially since they know it might lose them Marvel fans. So concerns about Zac Effron replacing Tobey McGuire in Spiderman 4, or Wolverine flying a gummi ship are probably unfounded.

And as far as Disney being a bunch of Rip-off artists; I can see how some would feel that way, but then again there aren't too many instances in hollywood today where movies haven't gotten influences from older more classic movies. Having an idea is one thing, executing it is a whole different skill in itself.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Kingdom Hearts on Wii.

I want Link to annihilate Marvel heroes left and right.

Top Bottom