• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

marth's biggest disad. atm

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
everyone knows his metagame. basically, when you've played one marth(who is advanced) you've played them all.

other characters, especially the newcomers, are still "experimental" so no one knows how one is going to play.

but this disadvantage will be eliminated in a few months- a year when the metagame has evolved and most playing strategies are well known.

hang in there marthers, it'll get better =)

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Disregarding the above poster, I don't think all Marths play the same. I've seen a lot of Marths who just abuse Dancing Blade and Dolphin Blading out of shield. I don't do either, really. Tap jump is off so I can't do the second one, and for some reason I almost never use Dancing Blade. Maybe once or twice every ten battles or so. I stick to his aerial game and known combos. Yes, Marth does have -some- combos from what I can see. I spam f-airs which is funny because I'm not planning to hit with any of them. I use them to keep my distance from the opponent and pull out a completely different move that throws them off, as well as double b-air if I miss the first. I'll occasionally mix it up and actually plan to hit with the f-airs, tip them both, sending them off the stage, then following up with b-airs to edgeguard, d-airs to spike, or if I can pull it off a stage-spiked Dolphin Blade.

Does everyone use that strategy?

Neodaft_boy

Smash Cadet
I never played Melee marth much, I did for a while but found my playstyle worked best with Peach -- Brawl, still working on it. Who knows, I may pick up Marth someday. I've seen him used differently for the better online with friends... not like I've seen in Melee.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Most Marth's think they know how to play Marth, but they don't.

In Melee you could get away with having bad spacing, because as soon as you land and l-cancel you had no punishable lag and you could just use your speed to run, or buffer a roll, or spot dodge. And once you got a hit in it was combo city.

Marth in Brawl can still stay safe, but it's slightly harder. You really have to know your spacing now since the game is slower and Marth's SH is floatier. You also have to have a firm grip on all of his options and response to different situations. Most Marth's in Melee never used anything, but grabs, fairs, dairs, and f-smash. They never even bothered with his other moves even though all his moves in Melee are good, other then his jab.

So now you have Marth players, spamming fairs and trying to chain them together, and spamming his f-smash, and whoring his Nair as an approach which they shouldn't be doing at all and it's offensive to my eyes.

They ignore the fact that he is no longer a combo oriented character and that he is more about control and setting the pace of the match and limiting his opponents options through the use of his speed, range and overall good moveset. They STILL ignore his ground moves and they don't use his other smashes at all.

It's just a mess.

Yukiteru

Smash Rookie
Most Marth's think they know how to play Marth, but they don't.

In Melee you could get away with having bad spacing, because as soon as you land and l-cancel you had no punishable lag and you could just use your speed to run, or buffer a roll, or spot dodge. And once you got a hit in it was combo city.

Marth in Brawl can still stay safe, but it's slightly harder. You really have to know your spacing now since the game is slower and Marth's SH is floatier. You also have to have a firm grip on all of his options and response to different situations. Most Marth's in Melee never used anything, but grabs, fairs, dairs, and f-smash. They never even bothered with his other moves even though all his moves in Melee are good, other then his jab.

So now you have Marth players, spamming fairs and trying to chain them together, and spamming his f-smash, and whoring his Nair as an approach which they shouldn't be doing at all and it's offensive to my eyes.

They ignore the fact that he is no longer a combo oriented character and that he is more about control and setting the pace of the match and limiting his opponents options through the use of his speed, range and overall good moveset. They STILL ignore his ground moves and they don't use his other smashes at all.

It's just a mess.
you obviously haven't played any good marth users

uremog

Smash Ace
what are you talking about? you say that like marth is the same as melee. it just doesn't look like his strategies have changed because everyone still uses him the same way.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Honestly, I could care less if you doubt my credibilty.

Wasn't I the same guy that posted in your thread about Pit and how Marth has advantage. At first you were unbelieveing, but then about myabe a 1 week later you posted that my strats worked and how you no longer ahd trouble with Pit?

I have proven time and again, that I know what I'm talking about, and I will inevitably end up proving it again since questioning me seems to be the favorite past time of the Marth boards.

I didn't used to be like this you know? Talking like this...being an ******* and talking down to people.

You think I don't notice?

It just gets really frustrating when you try to help a new person and they get nasty or disrespectful for no reason and say you don't know what you are talking about even though they have no basis with hwich to back up thier claim.

W/e. I'm just rambling.

Also Linguini's Marth is solid. Watch him. Best Marth I have seen, no lie.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I'm sorry but not all marths play the same. My marth in melee was probably the wierdest one you would ever see. I didn't abuse the fair, refused to wavedash, juggled with nair like there was no tomorrow, threw out dancing blade and actually tried to spike with it at random times. I was good at marth but refused to abuse the programming to my advantage. Anyway, I used all of marths moves. In brawl, I do the same thing (dancing blade and counter are my favorite tho). I go for spikes like my life depended on it. That all being said, i am not worried whether or not people know how i use marth and i actually make an effor to tell people so i can improve myself. Sometimes you can know something but cant do a thing about it. For example, i can tell you in the middle of a match that i will counter, spike, or grab you and 30 seconds later i can do it. If you play marth right you shouldn't need to worry whether or not your strategy is out there. I agree with most of the things that Emblem Lord said.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I think Emblem Lord's analysis is quite good and I've explained many of the same ideas in the Mario forums. Basically, combos and juggling are toned in Brawl, and being mindlessly (Sorry for lack of better words, I don't mean for this to be offensive) aggressive does not work like it did it Melee (Not saying anything specifically about players or playstyles, just the fact that you could get away with more in Melee in terms of aggression and abusing range). In Brawl, you must use good spacing, read your opponent, and use a balanced air and ground game (This holds especially true for combo-orientated characters).

*Balance, patience, and spacing are essential in Brawl*

*You don’t have to take everything that I said to heart but I’d advice to keep an open mind*

*I apologize if anything that I’ve said is seen as offensive*

CY

Smash Ace
omg lyke dey no he gonna use side-d and lyke fair all the time lolol **** he no what im gonna do! where the meta game :(

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
why do you think a #1 tip in this board is :: mux it up. I use all of marth's moves atleast twice(Dsmash is my friend.)

MarTh-

Smash Apprentice
Dash attack & down air should rarely be used. Almost everything else you can combo with.

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
I said something like this a while and i thing i was worng about it.

ATM Marth is not widely used i think more player know Meta's-Metagame more then Marth.

sadly alot of his move's look the same but are used in different ways.

Even tho take said this like moths ago.....,

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
i remember people used (and some still do) to play marth by fair spamming and thought they were awesome
Marth changed and is better played in a different way than the melee marth even though he can be played in melee style
this has been said 5000000000 times
why dont u try to play melee marth in brawl way? cuz u will badly lose because using him in melee style has more advantages in melee
Rukkiko: if u focus on using all of marths moves at least twice in a match then u will totaly lose
marths moves are used when u think a specific move is best for this situation not just because u want to use all of his moves and look good
eg dont use counter because u never used it in that match
ofc dont start spamming fair because you think it is good for every situation u are in lol

cman

Smash Ace
Forcing yourself to use every move twice a match is actually a great way to become familiar with different situations in which they can be used effectively. It's actually probably one of the best way to learn the basics of a character. With that said, it should only be done while learning a character.

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
Since when was fair-spamming frowned upon? (jk)

Seriously, a lot of the inferior Marth players make pathetic attempts at emulating us who know what we're doing by using copy-paste tactics.

But, alas, it is to no avail. They suck, and they comprise the majority of the Marth community. It's no use trying to convert them to our perfect world order.

Too bad we can't rid ourselves of their embarrassing presence.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
So alright, maybe this will help.

Emblem Lord, you said Linguini is the best Marth you have seen. Do you have any links? I'm having a very difficult time finding him on youtube, or elsewhere.

Top Bottom