• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth vs Falco

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
i believe falco has a slight advantage because he stops marth from using his air game to his full potential with lasers, grabs, shield to arials. Both have a decent ground game, up close it can be pretty even except for the fact that no matter what marth does falco will be farther from marth wherther he is hit or not, unless its off the stage its not a good thing for marth. marth's lack of projectiles is his vital weakness in this match and a defensive falco will spam lasers and phantasm all day. An offense falco will laser and grab marth most of the time.

Also i would like to state that chain grabs aren't as nessacery in this match, which can at nair instead, run and hold shield for the obvious fair from marth (don't have to sometimes) in which he will be stun in the air and falco can nair him again. marth should never use his second jump in this situation because a good falco can space himself for a double laser up smash or tilt.

falco can still hurt marth in the start of the game with the dash attack up smash. it's one of falcos little "combos" where he can dash upsmash>u tilt>u tilt>nair>nair>double laser>nair/up smash/grab/dair/maybe something else to and it works pretty well on marth and anyone else and to mention it can also start with the d throw. Falco can stop marth's ground game in its track with the AAA combo but don't always hav to shine. And to mention my favorite kill action for marth, since he is sorta like a floaty in the air and he is falling down slow falco can f smash because it beats his fair and any of his air moves (unless he counters).

now marth can gimp him but not as easily horizontaly since there have been times the phantasm has went through the fair or you can't simply time it write. marth can side b to grab which can be good to gimping falco, tech chase, or the famous f smash. even chasing falco off the stage, there still be a chance that falco will make it before you. marth's f smash ***** falco wen the poor bird is either trying to get on the ground or on a platform (vise versa with falco's nair). marths up moves beats falcos dair (marth is most vunurable when falco is under him). only marths throws can really get falco verticaly off stage fair sends them horizontal and slightly upwards same with his nair but a bit more up. D tilt and shield breaker great with marth vs falcos, use it to shield pressure along with fairs, and don't use fairs constantly.

there I'm done =)
i hope i am resonable.
The reason you go through fair is because the fair was used at a poor time. uhhhh n e ways
Marth has the advantage.......
Marth can f-throw falco twice in a row no fail, at low percentages (0-7%) . Whats so good about this is that during these percentages. Marth can F-smash him for a guaranteed tipper. Oh the lotion! The F-smash won't kill him though all you got to do is gimp that trash recovery with a fair which Marth has a 50/50 chance (edge or stage) and there you have it. free stock. Falco has his up-b But it just wont take a well timed hug. Other than that DB is a superior move thatgives him a great ground game by itself. His tilts are great and have more range then falcos. Overal his ground game is better. And aerial game is in Marths favor. So I have to say that this is in Marths aerea.

laki

Smash Apprentice
7-3 Marth
Marth is much stronger than falco at close range once he gets inside of the lasers utility. I haven't played brawl in a while and can't test anything but I'm sure that the only things falco has that can outrange marth are reflector and forward smash

Esca

Smash Champion
Fine. 65-35 >_>.

And Roy_R is just too sexy XD.
I would still have to disagree. I say 60-40 Just because Falco has very quick movement speed.

Edit: This thread is stupid. Please close it. Emblem Lord just wants to see people argue. If he's so confident that Marth already has the better match-up, then why does it matter?

Close this.

ixdnL

Smash Journeyman
It's for a thread that gathers information from all the boards. Marth obviously has the upper hand but we're looking for how large that advantage really is. If you haven't noticed, Marth has quicker movement speed.

null55

Smash Master
Lol, Emblem Lord, I don't know why you love Marth match-up threads so much... (God, just leave Brawl and go play SC4) (jk)

I have one word for this match up: Gay.

But Falco is waaaayyyyyy cooler than Marth, so it really doesn't matter.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
I would still have to disagree. I say 60-40 Just because Falco has very quick movement speed.

Edit: This thread is stupid. Please close it. Emblem Lord just wants to see people argue. If he's so confident that Marth already has the better match-up, then why does it matter?

Close this.
I second on closing this thread not the matchup, there is no point of discussing when EL is just gonna disagree.

save it for another time.

Would anything change really if Falcos Reflector could always trip marth? I think if you time it right a fast fall on a short hop than using reflector before hitting the ground always or at least has a high chance to trip marth.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Beetle Juice: Do you have a problem?

Man up and pm me about it then. Cut the passive aggressive bull****.

All of the intelligent and knowledgeable posters agree with me and your arguments flat out sucked.

End of story.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
Beetle Juice: Do you have a problem?

Man up and pm me about it then. Cut the passive aggressive bull****.

All of the intelligent and knowledgeable posters agree with me and your arguments flat out sucked.

End of story.
I just feel like its too early to really judge this match up so quit beeing a baby.

plus my netgear router is broken like marths sword (cheap john) so i'll play you tomorow.

this is you----->:mad:
this is me----->:laugh:

and i already mentioned I'm not getting involved in this match up even though i did (lost interest) and pointless even when i try to see it from both sides.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Why would I be mad about one dude being upset that I crushed his weak argument?

Too early to judge the match-up?

Open your eyes.

The Brawl metagame has stagnated. There really isn't anything new being discovered that is greatly affecting gameplay. Now is the time when match-ups are to be discussed since that is the final frontier and the last thing left to develop in the metagame.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
i read this thread like 2 days ago but i already forgot what i read LOL so ill just share what i think

imo marth wins barely like 60-40 or 55-45 or something

falco's lasers are good but marth is really fast and his reach helps him bypass it as well and run into shield is too good plus lol old school counter

marth can do nice little combos at low percents like fthrow to fsmash (i think it tips at around 30 or something) or dthrow/fthrow into 4 hit dancing blade which goes from 0 to like 15 or 20 or something.

can falco even chaingrab marth even if he couldnt upb out of it? idk but the whole threat of up b makes it pretty risky to punish and on stages like battlefield it can be hard to punish it.

falcos jab is good at close range it has decieiving range and it's really fast plus the rapid hits push marth away but he can probably up b out of it >_<

marth can be hard/risky to edgeguard because of his invincible up b plus the risk of stage spike AND the fact that falco's up b is a terrible move.

marth is one of the better characters to edgeguard falco where alot of characters seem to have trouble beating his illusion marth has an easy time swiping at it with his aerials and tipped bair is BEASTLY!!! powerful

falco will have trouble landing solid fsmashes imo his usmash or bair may be his better killing moves or if marth flubs his spacing on a fair or something and lands next to him he can dsmash oos or something

falco has really good reach on some of his moves but the problem is marth has similar/better reach AND it's way disjointed marth also kills REALLY well in this game, like almost all his moves kill.

i think falco would want a big stage in this match to maximize running space and reduce the amount of control marth can have, so basically no battlefield/lylat for falco lol fd is probably good and yoshi's gives him a bit of protection if marth tries to come from above for whatever reason plus the platform can save him from gimps sometimes but that's not a solid reason to pick it lol >_>

thats just my take on it though >_< lol don't tear me apart too much el

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
*walks into the other room, comes back with a chair, sits on it with his hands on his laps with a paper saying "not on the topic anymore," stares at EL so that he can end the match up discussion and then lets out a big yawn*

60-40 marths favor but i still haven't lost to one or had a problem.
counterpick lylat and mess both of us up.
now finish the match up discussion.

laki

Smash Apprentice
Hey Beetle Juice if your so upset then just gtfo its not that hard. You have your right to your opinion and EL has the right to tell you your opinion is balls get over.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
Hey Beetle Juice if your so upset then just gtfo its not that hard. You have your right to your opinion and EL has the right to tell you your opinion is balls get over.
so then i guess its okay to that my opionion right now is to not listen to some scrubs opinion i already stated i'm not involved in the match up i jus wanted it to be over already and i was not upset.

PhantomBrawler

Smash Apprentice
I've played my friend more and more and more and more....and his Marth pisses me off more and more each time i play it.Even though matches between two players does not dictate a match-up of characters, it still leads me to believe that Marth does have the advantage in this match-up. Not a huge advantage like Hylian did us in for 70-30 hylian?!?! come on. 60-40 is what I say, the debate that RoyR's Marth 3 stocked Sethlon does not mean that they matchup is hugely in Marths favor.That is one match, and means nothing in the scheme of things. I agree with most of what is being said here, and agree that Beetle Juice is kinda acting like a spoiled kid. All in all I believe EL made this thread to prove his point, and he has done that. Marth 60-40.

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
I honestly believe the matchup to be slightly in Marth's favor. 55-45 seems about correct on a theoretical basis.

Completely irrelevant, but I love doing this. Grab Marth, dthrow and walk forward slightly, then 9/10 times they will UpB almost instinctively. Shield it prior then punish his craptastic lag. Always funny.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Falco i think. But that's probably because i like Falco more.
My sentiments exactly

And i havent read anything after the first page really but i believe the advantage was going ot marth because once he gets close enough (tipper range) he can outrange falco all day, but eventually he will make a mistake and falco will get in range, so while marth does have the advantage in this area it's not like the end-all advantage, cuz we're talking real matchups not a perfect control video i believe.

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but Falco can grab marth Dthrow and guess what marth's gunna do, so shield the Upb and Fsmash when he falls, once the marth sees this happen once he probly wont try it the next time so go for continuing the CG basically it's a 50-50 chance of Falco getting in a good hit in place of his normal CG.
If Marth's Nair also stops the CG then you can disregard the above, it seems fast but I've never seen it happen.

I'm not gunna give it a number since I'm not too well informed on this matchup, just thought I'd add something.

EDIT- lawl just read the post right above mine, way to completely copy somebody else J4pu

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Just like you have the right to kiss Emblem Lord's ***? This is not the place for your foolishness(This particular comment). Take it back to your Marth boards.

I think it's 60-40. Sethlon use to be too aggressive and probably got punished against Roy_R. I didn't see the actual matches, but I know how Sethlon plays from other videos I've seen. Marth is all about prediction, using lasers to make him aggressive, and punishing him when he rushes in instead of trying to overwhelm him with anything you can.

Crazy Hobo

Smash Cadet
I'd say it's even, or slightly tilted in Falco's favor. I've only versed two good Marths, and the matches were pretty much the same. I lasered spammed, while he tried to run in with aerials. So Falco has range on his side. Off the stage Marth has a clear advantage. I had difficulties killing Marth. I had to sidestep a lot to get close enough to hit him with Usmash, tilts etc. So evenly skilled Falco vs. Marth, it would depend on mindgames.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I think this match-up is 55/45 in Marth's favor.

Used to think 60/40 but when I extreme laser camp it gives Marth a good amount of damage before he eventually gets in your face, which won't take long.

A Marth that spaces well and knows how to quickly approach will go through Falco's lasers forcing him to fight up close. Even if the Falco Forward B's and runs away, a good Marth will see it coming and be right in his face again. Falco doesn't run that fast either.

Marth's aerials are pretty rediculous on Falco's recovery. If you plan on F-bing on stage with Falco it better be very far from Marth or he'll be up in your face no problem.

Marth can f-throw tipper @ low percents easily. Falco can't cg Marth. Falco's jab attack can be up-bed.

I really don't like this match up but when I play it I tend to go a little above even with Marths that are pretty good but not great.

I tried this match up against Emblem Lord many times and usually lose.

Even tried it vs Inui and lost. Then I cped Picto and he went Falco while I went Marth and I 2 stocked him. Then he went to Orpheon and I went Falco and lost to his Marth.

Someone who simply says "just space" or "Falco can laser spam Marth to death" clearly hasn't fought a good Marth.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Richard come to my house sometime.

I need a blue bird punching bag.

<3

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Seems like that bread thing is like a plague to you guys.

I suggest all of you stamp that ASAP.

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
Seems like that bread thing is like a plague to you guys.

I suggest all of you stamp that ASAP.
All your bread are belong to us! Make your time Marf :laugh: Anyway it's 60:40 in Falco's favor.

I've played over 100 matches over at game battles and once was a Marth mainer converted to Falco. Marth's lack of a projectile, chain grab, and a decent spike makes the match up in Falco's favor.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sooooo what's the concensus on the matchup? (imo it's 55-45 Marth)

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
The knowledgeable marth's and falco's that actually gave proof behind their reasoning deem it about 60:40 marth.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
marth ***** falco. I haven't lost to a falco in tournament yet, and I've played good ones (not SK92 good, but still good). its too easy to get falco off stage and gimp him.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Falco's CG means little in the match since Marth has one too. His projectile has limited usage as does his spike.

Did you even read the thread?

Serious question.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Emblem Lord, you do realize every Marth mainer is going to want to believe Marth has the upper end of the match and every Falco mainer wants Falco to be number one. Marth has good speed and good priority not to mention his mix-ups too. Falco on the other hand can set Marth into combos with lasers and phantasms as long as they're not predictable. Falco can Boost Pivot Chain grab Marth and not get hit with the Up-B if he decides to do so. Falco won't get the second grab, but he gets to punish Marth falling from the Up-B with another grab to do it again or a side smash. As a Falco main I want to believe this match up is for Falco, but honestly I believe it's pretty even. 50/50 It depends on how smart the players are and their style.

BTW that thread is way too long for me to read. I'm not going to go read something some scrub said about a match up that I know isn't true.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Do you know what a scrub is?

Anyway, who cares what every Marth mainer or Falco mainer wants to believe.

I don't give two flying f*cks about that.

What I care about...the only thing I care about...is knowledge.

I want the truth to be known about match-ups.

If I see another character board saying that Marth ***** their character or w/e and I know that isn't true then I will correct them and I have done so in the past.

This match can't be even honestly when you look at the match-up objectively it's in Marth's favor.

Don't wanna read the thread?

Fine.

But don't post garbage when you don't know wtf is going on and don't presume to know wtf I'm about.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Do you know what a scrub is?

Anyway, who cares what every Marth mainer or Falco mainer wants to believe.

I don't give two flying f*cks about that.

What I care about...the only thing I care about...is knowledge.

I want the truth to be known about match-ups.

If I see another character board saying that Marth ***** their character or w/e and I know that isn't true then I will correct them and I have done so in the past.

This match can't be even honestly when you look at the match-up objectively it's in Marth's favor.

Don't wanna read the thread?

Fine.

But don't post garbage when you don't know wtf is going on and don't presume to know wtf I'm about.
I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the scrub that said Falco can own the hell out of Marth. I know that isn't true and you know it isn't true. There are always going to be scrubs complaining about match ups for both sides just like there are going to be people who say certain characters are cheap when they're really not(Ike). Throughout this whole thread, the Marth mains say Marth 60-40 and Falcos say Falco 60-40. The best people that know Marth's match-ups are Marth mains and same for Falco. If the majority of it is in one direction(except for the predictable noob) then that's probably what it is. The majority of the Ganondorf boards aren't going to tell Marths than Ganon is better than Marth(unless for some stupid meme or something). I play against a good Marth. I know this match up pretty well. They both give each other a hard time.

Edit: The thread you posted for us to read is 29 pages. No one is going to read 29 pages of Smashboards comments unless they're directly about their hometown players or their own character.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Incorrect.

The Marth mains all pretty much say 60/40 Marth.

The Falco mains however are pretty undecided for the most part.

And honestly this is how communities grow. Through discussion and sharing thoughts. The act of sharing ideas and data is as old as our species. Nothing gets done if people don't discuss anything and share with one another.

So you might scoff at it, but it plays pretty much the biggest role in any community.

You say it's even, but you don't want to give evidence. Fine. Then why are you posting here? No one is making you and you are not contributing anything.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Incorrect.

The Marth mains all pretty much say 60/40 Marth.

The Falco mains however are pretty undecided for the most part.

And honestly this is how communities grow. Through discussion and sharing thoughts. The act of sharing ideas and data is as old as our species. Nothing gets done if people don't discuss anything and share with one another.

So you might scoff at it, but it plays pretty much the biggest role in any community.

You say it's even, but you don't want to give evidence. Fine. Then why are you posting here? No one is making you and you are not contributing anything.
Marth has good speed and good priority not to mention his mix-ups too. Falco on the other hand can set Marth into combos with lasers and phantasms as long as they're not predictable. Falco can Boost Pivot Chain grab Marth and not get hit with the Up-B if he decides to do so. Falco won't get the second grab, but he gets to punish Marth falling from the Up-B with another grab to do it again or a side smash. As a Falco main I want to believe this match up is for Falco, but honestly I believe it's pretty even. 50/50 It depends on how smart the players are and their style.
I do post. I'm not going to believe everyone's opinions on every single matter, like that person you mentioned that said Falco owned Marth. If you believe Marth is that much better than Falco, then tell me something Marth does that Falco can't adapt to and counter pretty quickly.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth isn't better then Falco.

Also read through the thread completely then post your thoughts.

The thoughts of the Marth community are within this thread and it's only 8 pages.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Are you saying 60:Falco/40:Marth? I've been reading it as 60/40 advantage Marth.

The link I was talking about was the one you posted on your first post for this thread, not this thread.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Just because someone has advantage in the fight doesn't mean they are the better character overall.

As characters I think Falco and Marth are roughly equal.

In the match-up all evidence points to Marth having a slight advantage. 60/40 Marth's favor.

Top Bottom