• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Tutoring

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Marth Tutoring:

This is a thread dedicated to advancing the skill level of Marth users, with help of tutors.

How to become a tutor:
-When typing a post write TUTOR on the top (caps lock on)
- Region
US: type Southwest, Pacific West, East Coast, etc (Outside US: Type country and give general area or region, whatever applies.)
- username
-Brawl code
- City
-Skill level(s) you are interested in tutoring (Starters, Beginners, Intermediate, Advanced, Expert, Professional, Master, or any)

How to become a student:
- Same as tutor, except at the top of the post put STUDENT, and skip the last step
- If you wish to apply as both, at the top of the post type BOTH, still do last step for who you wish to teach.

Example of “both”:

BOTH
Pacific West
TKD+ITA+Mar=
0001-3017-9599
San Diego
Starter-Beginner

How to get a tutor:
- PM a tutor who is open (explained later) and is tutoring your ability
- Once you get accepted as a student, set up a time with your tutor
- It is recommended you exchange phone numbers, it makes tutoring much more helpful (please do not abuse those numbers though)

How to get a student:
- Change your status to open (default) by PMing me
- To change your status to closed PM me also. (When you close your status it means you are not taking any tutoring requests.)
- Wait for someone to PM you

What a tutor can do during a match:
- Whatever he or she feels like drills or matches it doesn’t matter, whatever he or she feel is the best training for his or her student.

Post-match critiques:
- After tutoring if you wish you may PM your student and comment how they did what they did well, what they need to work on. (Please keep these civilized and constructive. It is really important to tell them what they did well as much as what they could improve on.)

Tutor Ratings*:
- After you are tutored by someone send me their username and on a scale of 1-10 of how good of a tutor they were. (Remember six means good/above average, not sub-par)
* This is experimental and may be subject to change if it does not work well.

Miscellaneous:
-If as a tutor you are having trouble with a student please PM me
- The thread is open to normal Marth discussion as well; share tutoring techniques or whatever you feel is appropriate.
- If as a tutor/student you are having trouble getting a student/tutor, PM me and I will try to work something out.
I will try to update this everyday, but if I am a little behind please forgive me. If anyone has any ideas how to make this better, don’t be afraid to speak up.
- You don't need to main Marth in order to tutor one.

Defining Rankings: (New Feature)
It has come to my attention the issue of the student being better than the tutor (it just happened to me), and although this problem may diminish as we receive more applicants, I would like to implement a system to reduce the probability of it occurring.

So as you know, the tutors put what ability they would like to teach in their application, but it is very unclear of what these terms really mean. So now I would like to implement a system to define these rankings. This system would merely be thread discussion, feel free to express what you believe constitutes each rankings, and debate it with others. Once we reach a general consensus I will post it on the first page. If we don't reach a consensus I will use popular vote. Keep in mind it can be either abstract terms, such as, "knows moveset but doesn't know how to implement it effectively," or more concrete ideas, such as, "can four stock a level 9 cpu while having a 20% handicap."

Seeing that so far that feardragon64 is the only one to post ideas for the definitions of rankings, and no one has disputed it I am going to post his list right here:

Starter: How do you spell Marth? I just flipped a coin and decided to main Marth. Who was Marth again?

Beginner: I went into practice mode and learned Marth's moveset. So what do I do with it?

Intermediate: So I've started looking up information about marth and I understand generally what he's good at and what he's not good at. How do I implement that knowledge to get better?

Advanced: I've done my research on marth. I understand his game. I'm currently in the process of utilizing him to the fullest capacity.

Expert: I am placing well in tournaments(top 8 or so). I am constantly incorporating the newly discovered techs and AT's for Marth and possibly even discovering new tricks for him myself. I know how to play Marth properly.

Professional: *Points at collection of first place trophies* and threads dedicated to my awesomeness. Oh, and here's my amazing combo video(hint hint Danimals and Drago)

Master: Anything greater than stated above (feardragon64 did not create a definition for this term)

If you would like to modify or dispute any of these rankings just bring it up in the thread.

--Tutors:

-Pacific West:

TKD+ITA+Mar=
0001-3017-9599
San Diego
Starter-Beginner
OPEN

--Students:

-Pacific West:

TKD+ITA+Mar=
0001-3017-9599
San Diego

864today
3737-9322-5737
Vancouver (Canada)
(aprx. beginner level)

-North East:

Steel2nd (Steel)
3952-7028-0736
Southern New Jersey

- Central:

Worldkaos
3523-1699-7962
Houston, Texas
(aprx int-adv)

kingofwaddles

Smash Apprentice
waste of forum space.
so simple for a student to be better than a tutor.
this is basically the same as going to "with anyone" mode, except everyones using marth.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
The only reason I don't see this working, is because a lot of Marth's game relies on perfect spacing. WiFi is laggy, and screws up spacing pretty badly. I don't think you can teach something that can't be taught, if you see what I'm saying.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
I see both of your points and they are very valid. I tried to cut down on lag by making regions and cities listed, and I tried to prevent the student being better than the tutor by requesting the tutor to tell who he or she would like to teach (which should be a good deal lower than them due to ambiguities of levels). Oh well....

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I don't think bashing this thread does much good. However, even if a wifi match is laggy, you still can learn something. Maybe not as much as a clear match (which TKD addressed with the posting of location) but still something. I won't lie tho, if the match slows to a crawl its impossible to train someone with marth. Going to "with anyone" kinda is asking to fight 1) not a marth since other characters are more common and 2) a laggy free for all match where noob tactics prevail (ike fsmash, pit arrow spam, etc.)

Btw, if someone needs a tutor and you live on the west coast, i'm the person to ask. I don't know if expert is the right word but I'll go with it anyway. (i'm more like between expert and advanced)

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I'm always looking to get better and I'm pretty nubish. I'm willing to try it out, same as Jastravious. I live in California so it should work out if you want to give it a trial run. I def. have a lot to work on and I think I'm "barely" in the intermediate level. (I figure starter would be as though you were just starting Marth, beginner would be knowing his moveset, and intermediate would be understanding his game generally but not having truly applied it to yourself?)

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I don't think it should be a big problem TKD

@feardragon it is jartravious lol i couldnt use my name that i use in brawl
Haha very sorry about that. I was incredibly tired when I made that post =\

But anyways, I'll post my feedback about the lesson and my thoughts on how it will work out here for anyone else interested in teaching, etc. I suggest anyone else who participates do the same =]

Torn

Smash Cadet
Ken

I'm just going to go ahead and say what everyone was thinking when they first saw this thread.

Not advertising or anything obviously, but it's pretty well-known (and ridiculed) that the great, (late?) SephirothKen was at some point right near the release of Brawl offering "lessons" over WiFi for the princely sum of $25.00 USD an hour.

Yeah, I think people didn't like the fact that that's a ton of money coupled with the fact that Marth's quick, technically-demanding game does not translate as well as others' over the delay-ridden WiFi format.

Also, learning over WiFi might mean you would automatically begin to compensate for the lag and begin to perform poorly in clear matches, which is obviously a disadvantage.

On the other hand, a chance to train with and be an equal with the great SephirothKen (KEN COMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) was a pretty tantalizing offer, despite the cost, and I believe he experienced some success with his program.

I think setting up experienced Marths with ones that could use some hands-on help though is a great, albeit somewhat romantic idea considering the WiFi/time restraint situation.

Also, TDK, kingofwaddle's point is poorly-reasoned and ANYTHING BUT valid and he seriously needs to rethink his entire scope of Brawl if he thinks the main defect with this plan is a "student surpassing the teacher" type-situation.

This is NOT a waste of forum space - it introduces a noble idea into the community that one day many could utilize to improve their spacing and SHFFing.

We need to all stop being so apologetic to this kingofwaddles character; he posted some unhelpful, rude, nonsensical, standoffish comment in my thread too today (I think you were there, TDK!) and his posting style seriously alienates a bunch of people; he needs to change it to be less so or face alienation.

Also, might I inquire what exactly your name means, TDK? I tried to figure it out (briefly) but I couldn't quite put it together.

Again, great idea, so much so that I think it deserves some attention. I definitely wouldn't mind Marthing it up with people who are willing to learn, but, alas, time restraints unfortunately render me utterly unable.

Torn

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
^ Oh my name means Tae Kwon Do + Italy + Marth is equal to, well me I suppose. I take Tae Kwon Do competitively, I take an (unhealthy?) pride in my Italian heritage, and I main Marth. Yeah, I am not really sure how this would be like a "vs. anyone" match where everyone would be Marth When I first read Waddleking's comment I was thinking "nooooo my thread is a EPIC FAILURE," but the more messages I read from him the less I thought that. I don't believe I have read one kind comment by waddleking.

Torn

Smash Cadet
waddleking

I take Tae Kwon Do competitively, I take an (unhealthy?) pride in my Italian heritage, and I main Marth.

Excellent, haha, I like everything about that sentence. I main Marth too, I bench 210, and I'm of the opinion that Italian is an utterly beautiful language. Nothing compared to the Eastern European languages of course (I speak Mandarin, which everyone can agree sucks *sad*) which are achingly, profoundly beauteous in their powerful, deep, rich, guttural way, but Italian (spoken by a native) is definitely up there.

And, yeah, I saw waddleking in the Ike forum as well, and of course, made "fight for my friends" reference in a post about Ike strategies (I recommended SHFFing RARs to approach, as Ike's bair is often touted as truly excellent.) I really don't understand this guy.

Torn

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Yeah luckily though, we haven't seen him lately so maybe he has left, he believes this forum is a waste of space so he'll probably never come here, so were safe to say whatever we want.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Yeah luckily though, we haven't seen him lately so maybe he has left, he believes this forum is a waste of space so he'll probably never come here, so were safe to say whatever we want.
Lol, anyways, be done with it or we begin to move dangerously close to flaming >>

On an off note, that's awesome about the tkd. I've actually been doing tkd for almost 9 to 10 years now(though it's been on and off so more like 7 or 8). Funnily enough, the problems that I have in actual sparring matches are REALLY similar to the ones I have when I play brawl with marth. LOL.

Martial arts is a metaphor for life....and apparently so is brawl xD

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Haha, it was an interesting session. But it turned out we were more or less on equal par(though it seemed he was just having an off day anyways xD). Anyways, def. learned some things and got some really nice practice. If nothing else, you can find some practice buddies. Marth ditto battles really help your game because it has to be so fast paced

Oh, and there was like....0 lag. I mean I would go into the practice room for 3/4 of a second and the brawl would start. =]

Anywho, worth a shot

I'll upload a vid of it later since I saved a replay of two of the matches >>

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Yeah the lag was practically non-existent, what city do you live in? It was definitely a good learning experience for me. I was really angry because I kept SDing. lol

I just added a new feature for anyone who is wondering, just check the first page.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I'm always looking to get better and I'm pretty nubish. I'm willing to try it out, same as Jastravious. I live in California so it should work out if you want to give it a trial run. I def. have a lot to work on and I think I'm "barely" in the intermediate level. (I figure starter would be as though you were just starting Marth, beginner would be knowing his moveset, and intermediate would be understanding his game generally but not having truly applied it to yourself?)
Haha I live near san jose =b

Anyways, for the new feature I would refer to my post for what I assumed they meant. Basically this:

Starter: How do you spell Marth? I just flipped a coin and decided to main Marth. Who was Marth again?

Beginner: I went into practice mode and learned Marth's moveset. So what do I do with it?

Intermediate: So I've started looking up information about marth and I understand generally what he's good at and what he's not good at. How do I implement that knowledge to get better?

Advanced: I've done my research on marth. I understand his game. I'm currently in the process of utilizing him to the fullest capacity.

Expert: I am placing well in tournaments(top 8 or so). I am constantly incorporating the newly discovered techs and AT's for Marth and possibly even discovering new tricks for him myself. I know how to play Marth properly.

Professional: *Points at collection of first place trophies* and threads dedicated to my awesomeness. Oh, and here's my amazing combo video(hint hint Danimals and Drago)

Anyways, it's a framework based on my interpertation. =O

P.S. I wouldn't involve being able to beat computers at all in the ranking since they play nothing like normal players >> (Unless you're talking about beginner level or something =b)

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
I find this idea great, I'm always up to learning and practicing new things. So is the tutoring Idea going to fully pan out?

Playing Lvl 9s is always good practice for conditioning mind. I mean just to see reaction time and such--though I agree computers do not play as people do--and do not react as people do--and you can't practice mind games with the computer haha...

I'm only about "advanced" and ever will be, I play in a casual circle of friends... and I don't have many friends on brawl just because I haven't branched into the Wifi world of competitive brawl... haha JK... but for real, I haven't really played online at all... (since I don't really collect friend codes or such like some people do)

anyway this is a great Idea, i'm ready to learn or teach what I know... (maybe) haha

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
^^ That interpretation seems pretty good, I am not going to contribute a list though, because I might have to be a semi-moderator for this.

^ Well I really hope it does, I think we need more people to apply though. We can function now without front-page list because there are only a few people, but as more people join organization is going to be critical, also it might create a snowball/bandwagon effect.

xMiMix

Smash Apprentice
Canada, Ontario. I have a really good connection,
I really want to participate in this. I live in Canada, and mainly I want to learn from BacklashMarth. I just seem to have so much respect for you yet I only know you though text. I am not very good, at all. I just do general double fairs, rarely do I actually meteor smash someone, although I try a lot. My general tactic is to just fair spam people and then land a tipped fsmash and kill people. The only character I can successfully gimp would be Ike. I also have trouble implementing bairs, nairs and all general tilts into my game.

I don't have time to post my fc, and somehow I don't think people will be interested in teaching me too.

Oh, feardragon64 and TKD+ITA+Mar=, don't take this the wrong way, I would love for anyone to be a teacher, its just that I think that my game is so pathetic that you would rather not play with me. Not to place such a burden on BacklashMarth too.

P.S. All my games are lag free. I've actually never experienced horrid lag online.
Maybe someone can test me on my skill and give me a grade or some tips of some sort? That would be great.

Waddaya know, my FC is in my profile. :
4339-2198-1153
Vaughan, Canada

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I really want to participate in this. I live in Canada, and mainly I want to learn from BacklashMarth. I just seem to have so much respect for you yet I only know you though text. I am not very good, at all. I just do general double fairs, rarely do I actually meteor smash someone, although I try a lot. My general tactic is to just fair spam people and then land a tipped fsmash and kill people. The only character I can successfully gimp would be Ike. I also have trouble implementing bairs, nairs and all general tilts into my game.

I don't have time to post my fc, and somehow I don't think people will be interested in teaching me too.

Oh, feardragon64 and TKD+ITA+Mar=, don't take this the wrong way, I would love for anyone to be a teacher, its just that I think that my game is so pathetic that you would rather not play with me. Not to place such a burden on BacklashMarth too.

P.S. All my games are lag free. I've actually never experienced horrid lag online.
Maybe someone can test me on my skill and give me a grade or some tips of some sort? That would be great.

4339-2198-1153
Vaughan, Canada
Actually the truth is the worse the student the better. I'm never mean to anyone (even if they are to me, *cough* king of waddles) so feel free to ask me whatever. I like being able to help people in any way i can. I will add you on my friend list since you requested me directly as a teacher. Since your lag is nonexistant, it should be easier for me to teach you. I will probably just fight you then send you a message with some tips to help your game. I'm online on friday (5:30- 10:00pm), saturday (2:00-10:00pm), and sunday (3:00-8:00pm). The time zones might change things but I'm sure you can figure it out. Just let me know what times will be good for you. I live in California just so you know. I look forward to teaching you.:)

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
- Both
I'd probably consider myself between the advanced and expert areas... but wouldn't recommend myself for advice on super technical stuff. I placed equal 7th at my last tourney, but I guess it wasn't that much of an accomplishment as there were only 16 people competing (although all were at a good playing level).

Apart from that, I mainly read up on a lot of Marth stuff and practice randomness against level 3's; not to find out what works and what doesn't, but just to work on my thinking and different approaches.

I'm in Perth, Australia, so if any beginner Aus/N.Z Marths need a tip or two just give us a yell. Or if there are any advanced Marths from Aus around, I'd like to know that, too. :grin:

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
-STUDENT

North East
Brawl user name: Steel
3952-7028-0736
Southern New Jersey

Judging from the above definition of the rankings I guess I would consider myself intermediate-advanced, I know what Marth can and can't do and know what attacks do what.
I'd like someone who is willing to work with me and can help advance my game.

So if there are any Marth tutors from central>east (though anyone is fine) respond to this and I'll shoot you a PM with my aim/msn, whichever you use.

Thanks ^_^

Also if anyone just wants to play I'm always up for that.

feardragon64

Smash Champion

4339-2198-1153
Vaughan, Canada
Lol no worries. I've seen a vid of backslash marth. He could whoop my *** around final d any day =b. That and I never signed up to be a teacher xD I don't think I'm skilled enough to truly help with that yet =b

P.S. Backslash, I'd love to vs you someday though. Not so much for tutoring, but just friendly to see how I fair(no pun intended) against you ^^

864today

Smash Rookie
STUDENT

- Umm Canada
-Canada (Pacific west)
- Jon
- 3737-9322-5737
- Vancouver

I'm beginner I guess, I know what Math's moves are, and I can beat lvl 9's about 70% of the time. I'd like BacklashMarth to teach me as we are in the same time zone, but anyone would be fine.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I will try to get arount to adding you (864today and feardragon64) soon. I just got done fighting against TKD and he isn't all that bad. Being a sensei is really a good way for me to test my marth and help others. This thread was a good idea.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
^ Luckily there wasn't that much lag, I was pretty surprised on how smooth it was. Although we did have a tad in the beginning, but that was because someone else was using my wireless internet, after that though there wasn't much (at least on my end). I seriously think I have a SD problem though.

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
Lol no worries. I've seen a vid of backslash marth. He could whoop my *** around final d any day =b. That and I never signed up to be a teacher xD I don't think I'm skilled enough to truly help with that yet =b

P.S. Backslash, I'd love to vs you someday though. Not so much for tutoring, but just friendly to see how I fair(no pun intended) against you ^^
where are these videos of which you speak?

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Videos? Actually its more like "a video". I posted this video a while back and it gives you a rough idea of how i play (its not all that accurate tho since the lag was bad, couldn't use all my techniques). Anyway here it is. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165345

P.S. Btw TKD, SD are nothing to be ashamed of. I did a few while we fought also since i wasn't paying attention so don't feel bad. You will SD a lot less once you master reversing marths up+b.

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
I'd friendly you guys =)... never played much online... I don't have friends. period. sorta. nah. I don't.

It'll be fun.

P.S. Btw TKD, SD are nothing to be ashamed of. I did a few while we fought also since i wasn't paying attention so don't feel bad. You will SD a lot less once you master reversing marths up+b.
I usually just... Sidespecial to the direction of ledge... and then Uspecial... I don't think it really matters. But it makes sure you're face the right way and you can just straight up Uspecial instead of angling it weird so you mess up... that's just me... and i'm no expert at these things...

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Oh yea, that works too. I totally forgot that i used to do that back in melee (back when dancing blade made marth's recovery unmatched). If the technique i described earlier is too hard or doesn't work for you, use DarkRunner00's. I just do it the way i do because it's faster if you know what you're doing.

Top Bottom