• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth totally has awesome hair.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP

I wonder why no one else was like "OH ITS OLD WHO CARES".

Because of fthrow to dair not NORMALLY being guaranteed, perhaps?

Characters like Snake, DK, Dedede, Bowser; etc are all suspectable to fthrow to spike, but can escape just by jumping. You'd have to be frame perfect to even get CLOSE to spiking them, but you won't, jump will always win.

What do my wise words theorise?
Spike Snake?
Ultimate Victory.
Smashboards should be for adults.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
11% on those certain heavies!

you know how much damage you can knock onto a snake that's been spiked? Hell it's practically a free kill from the ease of continual spikes you can get on him afterwards.

DK is also easily screwed.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

I wonder why no one else was like "OH ITS OLD WHO CARES".

Because of fthrow to dair not NORMALLY being guaranteed, perhaps?

Characters like Snake, DK, Dedede, Bowser; etc are all suspectable to fthrow to spike, but can escape just by jumping. You'd have to be frame perfect to even get CLOSE to spiking them, but you won't, jump will always win.

What do my wise words theorise?
Spike Snake?
Ultimate Victory.
Smashboards should be for adults.
I'm 22 years old. I still stand on my point before.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You're 22 and (supposedly) go to college, yet you can't make it to tournaments and have no friends people to test stuff with? I feel for you, man. From the bottom of my heart, Mr. Effinawesomepants.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
You're 22 and (supposedly) go to college, yet you can't make it to tournaments and have no friends people to test stuff with? I feel for you, man. From the bottom of my heart, Mr. Effinawesomepants.
I don't live on campus this semester. I have don't know anyone from where I'm from since I just moved. I can't get to tournaments because I don't have a car and my mom is constantly *****ing about her car. Considering the distance from the last tourney I went to + the cost it's pretty hard. But I'll be at Apex since it's closer.

Also I don't supposedly go to college I am in college. Also I don't like the way you're coming at me right now so you should just fall back.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
But...but...but....
New Jersey.....
How can you complain about not finding people in range in Jersey?

I know it's off topic but....
It's god **** Jersey.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I expect it's somewhat like the people in Virginia who complain about lack of competition.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
But...but...but....
New Jersey.....
How can you complain about not finding people in range in Jersey?

I know it's off topic but....
It's god **** Jersey.
Because I live in south jersey I don't know my way around there the last tourney I went to the drive was a hour and 20 minutes. Public transportation....there is no public transportation.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
He's not talking about tourneys, he's talking about finding people to play with.

You live in New Jersey, don't ****ing complain or anything.
You act as if Jersey is this small as state where everything is 10 minutes away from each other.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I'm saying that you'll be able to find someone in your area that plays smash and is decent if you live in a state with as big of a relative population as NJ.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
Shaya, is there anything that can be done with 'hairing' other than spiking? I'm wondering if this could let Marth have many more options off-stage, maybe something like F-throw-> F-throw-> Cross-up B-air or something like that.

Do you know for certain the frame difference between the mid-air jump and the stage jump?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I'm saying that you'll be able to find someone in your area that plays smash and is decent if you live in a state with as big of a relative population as NJ.
Ah I got you. I guess that's possible but every time I post in the NJ thread I get ignored.....

MikeSanti

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5242-9800
Solid I love how your new avatar is basically your old one except bigger.

lol
Just noticed the shades have solid imprinted in em.
Also just noticed the drama with almostlegendary in this topic. EVERY TOPIC I INVADE I SEE THE SAME THING!

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
pierce lives too far away.
I'm sure you can find some others, just keep looking ^_^

they dont have to be marths either. smash players are everywhere, and NJ is far from an exception

I've found plenty by accident lol

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I'm sure you can find some others, just keep looking ^_^

they dont have to be marths either. smash players are everywhere, and NJ is far from an exception

I've found plenty by accident lol
I guess you're right but wouldn't my marth get better by getting tips from one of the top marths? anyways hopefully at apex I can bump into pierce again and maybe kadaj and neo and xisin

MikeSanti

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5242-9800
I guess you're right but wouldn't my marth get better by getting tips from one of the top marths? anyways hopefully at apex I can bump into pierce again and maybe kadaj and neo and xisin
No, tips help, but it won't get your Marth really up there. Match-up practice and overall experience makes you better (smarts too, of course). Try to play with ANYONE. If they're **** good with their main then fight them so you have an idea of the match-up.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Playing against anyone lets you get better, because if you're of reasonably even skill or WORSE, you keep EXPLORING WAYS to beat them. This is against anyone in any match up, etc etc etc.

Anyway Inle

Marth's stage jump has 5 frames of start up.
Mid air jump has zero. And as you are doing a ledge cancelled jump you can still do a FULL HOP whilst retaining your second jump.

I'm not sure about ledge cancelling a rar. But I'd say at certain distances from where you fthrow, your aerial mobility will allow you to cover the distance to hit them with the bair hitbox.

Also guys, please stop with the almostlegendary bashing/offtopicness. Thank you.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
I'm still a little unclear, does a ledge canceled jump have 5 frames of lag, (as in it counts as being on the stage), or does it count as a midair jump? I would suspect it's the prior of the two, but I'm just trying to clarify.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It's actually the latter.

Whilst having horizontal movement not from your own attack/special, when moving extremely close to the ledge, you're given a boost above the ground, allowing you to do any aerial. To top it off you can then JUMP, and this JUMP can be a full hop (the normal full hop/short hop jump rules apply here, even though the jump has 0 start up), it counts as a mid air jump (no start up lag), but you still retain your NORMAL/SECOND mid air jump afterwards.

THIS IS WHY:
1. Have you ever done a dancing blade really close to the ledge from a run/dash that has you pop up in the air, like when you do a db on the rising of a normal jump? This is why.
2. Why this allows you to dair Meta Knight due to the NO LAG of the jump, and then able to simply just jump back onto the stage.
3. If you are shielding near the edge and are hit with a move that pushes you closer to the edge, you drop your shield but end up landing back on the stage (on your bottom).
4. Similar to point 3, when a move on someone elses shield/your own that pushes you towards the ledge and you instantly have an AERIAL COME OUT.
5. Whilst on the stage you can somehow FAST FALL through the stage to do a ledge grab (i.e. hugging/speed hugging)

Any questions?

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
Sure. Where I was confused was where you mentioned that if you still have your 2nd jump for the Grab Release > (Marth has awesome hair) on MK, you said that you're doing it wrong, yet you say that this jump has no lag, so there might be a discrepancy in your explanation of the move that this thread initially discussed.

My question is simply which is right?

That you can't have you're second jump for the above combo?

Or that if you use the ledge cancelled jump you can retain your second jump for the combo?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I was wrong when I said if you retained your jump you were doing it wrong.

The retaining of your second jump whilst using ledge cancelled jumping was something I didn't test, and I assumed you didn't keep the jump. And as if you jump too early you still have your second jump I thought it was correct as well.

It makes it hard to see whether or not you're executing it even remotely right.

1. If you see the halo forming at Marth's feet while doing it, you're jumping too late (even though it may still be possible to dair MK, you won't have your second jump)
2. If you jump too early... Well you just won't be able to do it.
3. The same point of which you can jump is the same point at which you'd fast fall to speed hug, db1 to get the faux rising without using a jump, etc.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
Wow. In that case, how far away can you be from the ledge when you use the grab release combo? (I ask that because in your video you said that there was a maximum distance you could be from the edge)

The biggest problem I had with the frame perfect combo was NOT retaining your second jump. If ledge canceling does what I think it does, I'm dying of anticipation for your answer.

EDIT: Thanks Shaya

Top Bottom