• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Ditto Thread

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Let's get a marth ditto thread going.

I have found that I learn this matchup best by mostly just watching videos

But if anyone else has stuff to say that they realized at one point or another really helped them in the matchup, post here.

In this first post, however, I would like to post links to good matches. The Marth video thread is extremely outdated imo so i think something like this could help with this specific mathup immensely.

sooo, post some good marth dittos ;)

Just Sexed

Smash Ace
I usually marth ditto G$ and Niko.

All I gotta say is grab,grab, fsmash and ledge guard. One of the easiest MU for me.

Ill take that MM anyday Jesiah lol upstate NY.

DJMirror

Smash Master
why there is a thread like this? O___o if someone making this, might as well make a sheik ditto thread, fox ditto etc

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Its..not that big of a deal >_<.

Marth dittos needs you to be very good at CC grabs.

Don't go in the air a lot because thats where marth is the most vulnerable in this match up. Ground = good =3.

Theres a ton of edgeguard tricks you can do too. I definitely do a lot more than just fsmash the edge in this match up.

If you wanna see vids I have a few vids of my marth. I mean.. its not amazing but I guess its something?

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
why there is a thread like this? O___o if someone making this, might as well make a sheik ditto thread, fox ditto etc
This is the marth boards and there is no updated marth video archive or specific thread for this, so i thought it would be appropriate? -_-":urg:

MasterShake

Smash Lord
If you know a Marth will try to fthrow, just DI away...he can't tipper and he can't regrab. However if he uthrows and you DI it, I think you're screwed to be hit by an uptilt. Grabs control this matchup imo.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
If you know a Marth will try to fthrow, just DI away...he can't tipper and he can't regrab. However if he uthrows and you DI it, I think you're screwed to be hit by an uptilt. Grabs control this matchup imo.
can someone confirm this DI away u tilt confirmed thing? No one has ever told me this

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Within reasonable percent of course, like 0 to 15, maybe even 20 tops. Maybe my reaction just sucks but every time I played with KFC he would uptilt the eff out of me if I DI'd the uthrow. Either way you get a free uptilt or upair out of a uthrow.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
There are a lot of DI traps like that.

The DI away for the fthrow is right. It seems that you get an auto regrab at 0% but it could be that its just very hard to react to.

I believe however if at low percents you upthrow marth he is able to jump out of it.

I've been able to jump out of upthrow uptilt when I DI it fully away so I don't think thats a guaranteed combo.

I think you can get a fair out of it automatically but not sure.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
There are a lot of DI traps like that.

The DI away for the fthrow is right. It seems that you get an auto regrab at 0% but it could be that its just very hard to react to.

I believe however if at low percents you upthrow marth he is able to jump out of it.

I've been able to jump out of upthrow uptilt when I DI it fully away so I don't think thats a guaranteed combo.

I think you can get a fair out of it automatically but not sure.
yeah thats pretty much what I already thought. I mean, cuz then you could just read DI and have autocombos from every throw

Love Buzz

Smash Rookie

From what I know, the regrab is guaranteed.

Can't say I enjoy this matchup... Marth ledgeguards himself waaaaay too easily.

Niko45

Smash Master
I usually marth ditto G$ and Niko.

All I gotta say is grab,grab, fsmash and ledge guard. One of the easiest MU for me.

Ill take that MM anyday Jesiah lol upstate NY.
Jesiah's marth looks pretty nasty imo.

Also I need to get better at these. It's such a bizarre matchup where two evenly matched players can just take turns 3 stocking each other. You clearly need to be very alert from neutral position to either camp grab or aggressively dtilt -> grab or dash attack or something. I seem to get caught in between sometimes and just get ***** for it.

Just Sexed

Smash Ace
Dash attack = nice set up iirc
D tilt to dash attack is very effective imo.

Its also very easy from a standing position to pressure them into a jump which lets you combo them to death. Niko I think you need to just play a bit more grab happy when we marth ditto.

And I know Jesiah is pretty good im just trollinz lol.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i don't feel like dtilt to dash attack combos..surely they can shield.

anyways, my question:

fthrow to tipper fair on no DI, at what points is it safe to do this.

I seem to have a problem where at low percent if the opponent DIs properly (im guessing it's down and away or just down), you can't pull back to tip your 2nd fair because the forward momentum is too great (you have to run pretty early to get the tipped fair, of course if they DI in it's different and you can easily tip 5000 times)

i'm wondering if tipped fair to dair will combo in this situation. I've been thinking that would probably be the best option for me to learn.

However, I'm also curious what happens if you miss the tipped fair, i think they can DI away and down and escape relatively easily, if you go in for a second hit you get grabbed or CC something (i think they can even get a shield up), but i'm wondering if you can just jump away when you see the first hit didn't tip before they can land and try to punish you.

Anyways, been wanting someone to test this because no one wants to do exhaustive testing of things with me.

Dr. PP recommended that i just not try for this below 10% because it probably doesn't combo at low percents.

Regardless, i think it's important to punish missed DI with better things than a fsmash when a fsmash won't send them off stage.

However, I understand that i could just upthrow them and combo them, but there are times when your opponent just flubbed tech skill or you know you surprised them with a grab, so it seems beneficial to make use of the high probability that they will miss their DI at times to get a solid combo off your fthrow.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i wish mew2king would just pour his heart into a marth ditto guide

marth dittos would become a 99/1 matchup

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Lolol. Ya I know evting about Marth and most of his MUs, even if my Marth isn't nearly as good as it used to be. :laugh:

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
seriously. get grabs. space properly. run around like a gay...

what's to understand? :p

lol jk. it's much more complex than that.

hey did you know marth's fsmash will eat through marths fair, but that both marths will take damage?

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
Honestly, this mm is all about mind games. Whoever slips up first, or leaves themselves vulnerable for a second is dead.

Then again, when isn't a match about mg's?

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
lol ppl claim this mu is simple yet such varied advice is being contributed

silly marth mains. if this mu is so easy, then go beat m2k in it plz...or even get close

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
after playing a decent amount of marth dittos with KFC, basically you come to the realization that whoever gets grabbed first is going to get heavily combo'd and at high enough percents knocked far enough offstage that a good player will keep you off.

this is all assuming the players are of at very least decent to high skill level.

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
Qfe above. It comes down to the player themselves: Who has better movement control, spacing, DI, timing....

and of course, mind games.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
im not great at this matchup but when i was trying to learn it the big thing i picked up from watching a lot of M2K vids is don't jump. generally whichever marth jumps first gets punished. you want to stay grounded, use your shield intelligently, and go for dtilts and grabs. as soon as the other marth jumps, you get close enough to punish their whiffed aerial (or shield it). if you're in range you can even just fair after they throw whatever aerial and combo off that.
that simple idea improved my ditto game a lot, so i think it's a pretty good thing to keep in mind. im not good enough to say much about very high level play though.

painlord k11

Smash Journeyman
i used to hate marth dittos all i do is get *****............ now my new strategy since i kinda like marth dittos now is just f smash alot hope it hits and i win marth dittos alot more now lol

Top Bottom