• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Discussion Thread

Okysho

Smash Ace
I read that somewhere too... somewhere on the smash boards before things got out of hand... weird people... At any rate I'm gonna try and lay off smash related stuff for a while since hype is really starting to get to me. I could barely concentrate at work today cuz I was too busy thinking about trying out the newcomers and awesome revamped vets (especially my main)

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I read that somewhere too... somewhere on the smash boards before things got out of hand... weird people... At any rate I'm gonna try and lay off smash related stuff for a while since hype is really starting to get to me. I could barely concentrate at work today cuz I was too busy thinking about trying out the newcomers and awesome revamped vets (especially my main)
Whos your main? >_> <_<

___

It is too early to start tiers, Its better not to start them at all.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Having a black berry USED TO be nerdy but then Roy got one. Roy is quite the trend starter!

I'm not like that at all. I rarely get to see Roy anymore since he's always busy going to interviews, winning awards, donating money to charity and acting in movies. He's even a personal trainer now! I'm used to not seeing him. Besides I email him alot, we're good friends. I'm going to see him at the oscars tonight. He's nomintated for best director, best actor, best supporting actor and much more.
Ok, now *that* wasn't funny. Just lame. Please shut up.

-Ran

Smash Master
Good analysis. However, I've been thinking about that Counter too (since it's my favorite move ever aside from the Shoulder Bash), and I've noticed that since it lasts for quite long, Marth will be more vulnerable to a grabbing counterattack if the player misses its timing.

Just some idle musings of my own. :p
Marth has always been vulnerable, however due to the options he has, and the range that he is going to maintain against his foes due to his range [sword and grabs] the risk is lower. Most opponents aren't going to make him pay with a throw due to this. Furthermore, the Counter gives Marth another option in the air that few have. He doesn't need to air dodge to avoid an attack, while almost -everyone- else must. Since it seems that the moves are less combo-able overall, Marth might be able to break the few that are being made.

Regardless, Marth won't have to pay as much in regards to an air counter vs an air dodge. Since the Counter is now going to be a move that's worth it, people are going to have to respect it, considerably. This game isn't going to be a wild mashing of sequences like Melee was, and so I believe more and more, that the tournament circle is going to have more Marths than ever.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Why are people confounding "effeminate" with "gay"? Besides, Ike is the real gay one. Seriously, look it up.

Now:
"the Counter gives Marth another option in the air that few have."

Yeaaah, now let's see which characters can counter the Counter in the air, that is, which characters have an air grab. I've got one on top of my head...

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
More proof of Marth not being gay!

Thanks to Serenes Forest and Zevox for leading me there!

completely quoted for truth!!

Source here
<_< >_>

Shes hawt.

Why are people confounding "effeminate" with "gay"? Besides, Ike is the real gay one. Seriously, look it up.

Now:
"the Counter gives Marth another option in the air that few have."

Yeaaah, now let's see which characters can counter the Counter in the air, that is, which characters have an air grab. I've got one on top of my head...

Every move cant be good in every situation. Unless its Falcon's Knee.

Irow

Smash Ace
I would hope not.

A lot of people have a distaste of Marth from what I've experienced.

Just like in Melee, people will try to pick characters that they like in the beginning.

Eventually, they'll try to find counter characters.

Marth will still be used a lot though.

EDIT: And air grabs aren't as good as a counter. They don't come out quick enough, and you can be hit before you start. And the grab is dependent on range.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I would hope not.

A lot of people have a distaste of Marth from what I've experienced.

Just like in Melee, people will try to pick characters that they like in the beginning.

Eventually, they'll try to find counter characters.

Marth will still be used a lot though.

EDIT: And air grabs aren't as good as a counter. They don't come out quick enough, and you can be hit before you start. And the grab is dependent on range.
And Marth's counter is really long. which can be a downside too.

-Ran

Smash Master
The counter is shorter than it was in Melee, if I recall correctly. In the air, it's rather easy to guess what move is going to come towards you, it's just a matter of timing at that point. Every character only has a few air attacks that are worth using, or cover enough of a range to be a threat.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
And Marth's counter is really long. which can be a downside too.
That's what I've been saying.

And of course no move is good in every situation. Lawl at Falcon's knee. :laugh:

---

"A lot of people have a distaste of Marth from what I've experienced."

Nah, a lot of people just like balance, that's all... which from what we've seen so far wasn't the devs' prime concern. No sir! Let's implement stickers and tripping, the kids'll love it! Oh, and it doesn't matter if Ganon's still a clone. *Sigh*

Now that my "sadness" has passed, I think you should all listen to this awesome song (no it's not that old song I posted a while ago):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NOGknoo6GLs

---

The counter is shorter than it was in Melee, if I recall correctly. In the air, it's rather easy to guess what move is going to come towards you, it's just a matter of timing at that point. Every character only has a few air attacks that are worth using, or cover enough of a range to be a threat.
I'd have a hard time believing that the old Counter lasted longer than the new one. I mean, a Melee Counter longer than the Brawl one would be ridiculous. Unless you're talking about that shorter lag *after* the new Counter?

And of course, it's a matter of timing, but it's only mindgames at that point. Suppose that one player expects one particular attack and counters, but the other player expected the counter and air-grabs instead?

Now I'll stop or I'm a start talking about yomi layers and stuff I half-read a while ago, that I don't even understand fully anyways. :chuckle:

-Ran

Smash Master
I think the frames of actual usability are shorter. This is a trade off for the damage/knockback ratio is gains. I won't be able to test until I get Brawl, unfortunately. From what I can observe from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ9oDhZkVgI [20 seconds in he does a counter, twice], and comparing it to Melee, a little over a second, while in Melee it was closer to two seconds. I'll have to break out a stop watch later. =p

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Oh, so what it means is that Marth's counter usability lasts less long than it did in Melee, but still lags long enough for him to be grabbed? Well, it *still* is the most awesome move after Wario's shoulder bash and Falcon's knee. XD

-Ran

Smash Master
I think the usability is about 75% of the counter's time, while in melee, it was more around 50-60%. It's shorter, but the time to get 'pwned' from it is shorter as well. It's more akin to the timing for Roy's counter now.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Thanks, that's what I was wondering... it still gives a chance to do some grabs to not get "pwned", unless (surprise! surprise!) it counters grabs too... XD

-Ran

Smash Master
Timing as in the actual duration of the counter's 'active portion' [not the total length]. If I recall, Roy had a smaller window than Marth.

Irow

Smash Ace
Okay. Marth's counter lasts overall shorter than it did in Melee. Because of that, the actual frames where counter reverses a move is less.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Okay. Marth's counter lasts overall shorter than it did in Melee. Because of that, the actual frames where counter reverses a move is less.
Ok, so that's what you were saying, about the "window of opportunity"... thanks.

-Ran

Smash Master
I don't see Snake as a threat once in the air... His recovery is a purely vertical, it's just waiting to meet a down spike of Marth's caliber.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Im thinking about maining marth,hes still pretty homo but alot more fun now.
Okysho. you can take this one.

Wait. Okysho isnt around.

MARTH ISNT GAY. IKE IS.

Marth gets Maried. Ike runs off into the desert with some guy.

Look at Okysho's posts for more details.

__
And glad to hear your maining Marth!

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
I don't see Snake as a threat once in the air... His recovery is a purely vertical, it's just waiting to meet a down spike of Marth's caliber.
Yeah I know. But hey, the trick here is distance! :chuckle:

Lol. you said "no?"

Like all french people XD
So what? Got a problem with that, cookie-ninja that's made of bread? (*long face*)

Edit:

I wish I could use Marth for the tournament coming up, but Gamestop only allows the starter characters only. How saddening...
I'm afraid of one thing only, and it's that all of these tourneys videos become just "Marth vs Marth" or "Toon Link vs Marth" without any other characters to add variety to them. I want the videos I'll watch on youtube to be entertaining ****it. :psycho:

Irow

Smash Ace
Im thinking about maining marth,hes still pretty homo but alot more fun now.
Ah, switching over from Ganondorf, eh?

Don't do it. You we're like, way too good with Ganondorf.

Haha, it's your choice; but be warned, they're gonna be a lot of Marth's if people keep on switching there mains.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I wish I could use Marth for the tournament coming up, but Gamestop only allows the starter characters only. How saddening...
Yeah..

Thinking about the tourny, w/o Marth, I might not do it. I'd seriously like to beable to take brawl, go home, turn on my wii, and watch the opening cinimatic. go in, and play a newcomer with my crew.

Best feeling in my life yet? Prolly.

I'd hate to ruin that.

__
Then again, I get the thrill of beating my competition to a pulp, and in the final round, face my own crewmate. Also an amazing feeling, I imagine. (ofcourse, 1:00 matches.. prolly Items. we'd agree on a stage, if we're aloud to decide..)

Okysho

Smash Ace
If there's no Marth don't do it! Yes I did make an appearance! 12 days until brawl!! Still working my *** off with other stuff so nothing for the community yet I apologize. I'm also writing a crossover between LoZ and Fire Emblem 3 (after book 2) in my spare time. ^_^ I hope you all look forward to that too! PEACE!!!

Okysho out!

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
dammit guys i got my gcse (SATs but much harder) exams when brawl comes to europe :( i got to wait so long for it and even wen i get it, my *** will be flat of sitting and studying every day without bein able to enjoy marth in brawl
yeah and i wish marth was not too overpowered like he is cuz now everyone will main him which is sad.

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
yea, thanks for the sig :) (Sniper! woot!)

I wanna do some kind of smashing at this tournament, even without Marth (just for a little while). I've been wanting to try out Ike anyway, though I think his recovery sucks. Guess I can go to my old standby of Fox and Link...

Top Bottom