• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Matchups! Updated May 15, 2007! Only missing Zelda!

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Neutral Stages:Yoshi's Story
Yoshi's isn't that bad, even vs Fox and other top-kill characters. . If you're good enough at evasion, comboing, and spacing, then you can kill Fox just as easily as he can kill you due to his low weight. Marth is **** sauce here though. You can also (in very rare circumstances) use the Up-B walljump glitch to save yourself here.

Samus can destroy Mario here because of her higher KO power. The only factor that is taken out of her live-long abilities here is her recovery, and she is still an extremely heavy and hard to combo kill-you machine.

+ Up-B walljump glitch
+ No glaring disadvantages
- Small blastline
- No glaring advantages
I just have something to add to that....Due to the fact that the blastline is so small Mario's ability to KO is much easier, so small blastline in my opinion is a blessing and a curse...but thats just me don't flame the hell out of me because i'm an idiot

boss8

Smash Hero
That doesn't change the fact that a matchup will be impossible. I'm pretty sure me losing to a much worse Shiek than me wouldn't make it "depend on the player".

That hasn't happened btw. XD

But yeah. Matchups are important.
eggz mario is simply the best depending on how you weld him,but the thing is how can you get beat by a shiek that is bad rather then good,i can go out and beat captain jacks shiek and still lose to my friend down the street and he sux with shiek,are there any good mind games with mario?????

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Is it just me or is Fountain of Dreams a rather bad stage for Mario? My main problem with it is that when the platforms ar lowered they disrupt shffl'd combos a lot; meaning you have to play much more carefully. Thus, less combo **** occurs... which mario needs.

Go ahead and tell me so if I'm just being a picky poo-face.

Twig

Smash Journeyman
Is it just me or is Fountain of Dreams a rather bad stage for Mario? My main problem with it is that when the platforms ar lowered they disrupt shffl'd combos a lot; meaning you have to play much more carefully. Thus, less combo **** occurs... which mario needs.

Go ahead and tell me so if I'm just being a picky poo-face.
It all depends on the matchup, versus a marth its a terrible stage because of camping under platforms, however versus a captain falcon , he can't move around alot. Its overall a decent level for mario, limits peach/samus recovery (however peach + falling platforms = gay). So i'd say its about average for mario, not amazing like FD ^_^.

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
Crap...all the character who pros love can kill mario easily....thats not good...

my greatest opponent is a Marth :/ its difficult...really difficult...

I wish i can get some tipps on how to beat up a Marth ^^

But i still win against him because Mario still is the Best!!!!!!

Still man its kind of unfair...look at all those char...lots of pros use them so....

Mario still pawns tho :p

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
It all depends on the matchup, versus a marth its a terrible stage because of camping under platforms, however versus a captain falcon , he can't move around alot. Its overall a decent level for mario, limits peach/samus recovery (however peach + falling platforms = gay). So i'd say its about average for mario, not amazing like FD ^_^.
Thanks for the input; and yeah, after thinking and playing on FoD a bit more I would have to agree that it is an average stage for Mario. Combos are still quite possible due to the decent-sized area in the middle, and there are plenty of opprotunities to combo through platforms when they aren't too lowered. Also, the blastlines as far as I can tell are medium; which is neither very advantagous or disadvantagous. Yay for averageness!
Thanks especially though for that bit about C.F.; I'll have to test that out next time I play against a decent Falcon.

This does make me wonder though... what is the worst stage for Mario?

Twig

Smash Journeyman
once you get marth in the air it;s pretty simple,and twig i want a rematch against your doc.
Sure man, some mario dittos dittos too. I don't think im going to any tournaments until Pound 2 tho *shruggs*

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Out of all the neutral stages, DL64. Nobody ever dies on that stage if you're using Mario.
I actually like that stage unless I'm fighting a floaty. (which is sadly, most of the time) There's plenty of evasion space and combos are quite possible. Edgeguarding isn't too hard but the wind has messed up my placement for it occaisionally. I'd say this stage is very match-up reliant for Mario.

Twig

Smash Journeyman
As face said, DL64 does matter on the matchup.

Its probably mario's 2nd best stage vs fox, seeing as the majority of fox's killing power is taken away. Also, with good DI, a mario can survive annoyingly long against any non-floaty.

Mario's worst stage= FoD ...IMO (out of the neutrals)

Eggz

Smash Hero
FoD is one of my new counterpicks because of the comboing potential. Mario doesn't have a "worst stage"

It's all dependant on the matchup.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Hmm, if Mario's performance on any of the legal stages is completely dependant upon the matchup a spiffy idea would be a list of characters that he does well against and badly against for each stage. Just the extremes of each I suppose.

FD could be left out because that stage multiplies his awesome mustache power by at least three times.

Eggz

Smash Hero
If someone I know fairly well (KevinM?) would like to clean this up for me, I'd be very appreciative. PM me and I'll tell you if I'll let you do it, and give you my password.

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
its not true Marth isnt easy to SHFFL uairs he recoveres quick in the air and uses one of his annoying arial with a very long reach

I bet some of you think its easy but havent even played with a Marth pro...

its difficult with Mario it even says in the Matchups that Marth is one of the char. who have more matchups against Mario...
Im tellin you its not as easy as it sounds ''Once you have him in the air its pretty simple...''

NO! its NOT! i want to know if its me whoose aking SHFFL mistakes or if it depends on Marth!

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Sweet job organizing it KevinM, it looks even spiffier than before.

One note about battlefield; I actually find that to be a good stage to counterpick luigi with as it really worsens his recovery (no flat surface to >B into). Also the platforms can really help when comboing him, as he can't Nair you in the face if you knock him onto one; and they cover most of the stage, thus increasing the chance of that.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
I just realized that this thing is missing Ness and Zelda. I'm not sure exactly where they'd place though, as I've only played against one decent Ness; and just a few matches. As for Zelda... the last time I fought a zelda was about 2 months ago, and I hadn't been playing as mario for very long then.

I wonder if ANY Mario player has extensive experience against these characters XD

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Well as I live in FL players tend to lead towards floaty characters (Samus mostly) and from my experience Mario has a slight advantage against Ness...
PK Fire and every other projectile can be caped, Ness' weight is within decent combo range, perfect Fireball aim eats PK thunder when recovering, I have found if you cape Ness when he's in the air doing PK thunder it sends him up just out of range of hitting himself. However, Ness' PK thunder recovery next to impossible to cape and will usually lead to you getting blasted away if tried, and there is the Yo-Yo Glitch (Slim but still possible)

I helped a little lol

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
thats cool...hey I would like to add something on ice climbers... if you do grab Popo...back throw quick that way you can hit Nana away...

Edit: also for Zelda watch out for Fair/Bair...thats all I can really come up with other then Zelda is floaty...

Also Eggz or anyone else really I could use some advice on my Mario videos are here it would be much appreciated

Eggz

Smash Hero
Errr why do you ask? LoL

Pokefloats is a ******** level that shouldn't be played. The best you can do with it is use it against people who make alot of mistakes as space animals and hope they kill themselves.

Pat/Pro

Smash Ace
You told people to go with FD when fighting Ice Climbers but thats the worst stage to pick in reality. IC's tear it up on FD everyone knows that.

Pat/Pro

Smash Ace
Uhhh not against IC's. IC's destory mario on FD. Mario is usually only good against characters on FD because of his grab game which the ICs virtually eliminate. Also due to the fact that he can juggle really well on this stage which is also lessened by the fact that there are two ice climbers. The IC's on the other hand can use their grab game quite effectively on this level moreso than any other and can spam extremely well on it. Many of their desynchs are further emphasized by the fact that this stage is completely flat. Trust me you dont want to pick FD against IC's with mario. I counterpick mario with IC's all the time and I love taking it to FD.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I'm going to agree with Pat/Pro on this...last time I played against ICs Final Destination was a bad choice on my part...I don't know what level would be good seeing how ICs good levels are basically Mario's good levels...In desperate cases like this I pick Rainbow Cruise or Poke' floats

mario-man

Smash Lord
I guess I really haven't played the ICs on FD. I wasn't trying to say that IC's were worse than Mario on FD, I was just saying that Mario is also good for FD.

-PM-

Smash Ace
i think zelda just doesnt have a place cause she can recover really well but its pretty easy to combo her hmm this takes more thought lol maybe you should just put a other for her eggz lol

psicicle

Smash Ace
As ICs I don't think you can CG mario, or even combo him if the mario DIs correctly (which all my opponents do). All I can do out of a grab is a smash. What chaingrabs excactly are mario prone to?

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
wtf was boss8 sayin there???

''once you get marth in the air its pretty simple''

YOU SHOW MEE HOW TO DEFEAT A MARTH PRO !!!!! IT ISNT SIMPLE AARGH!!!

man...

Top Bottom