• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Matchups! Updated May 15, 2007! Only missing Zelda!

Scrubs

Smash Lord
I think peach is by far marios worst matchup. Sheik can be chainthrown and is fairly susceptable to uair into fsmash or dmsmash combos. Peach on the other hand can't be combo'd by mario and is all over mario in the air and off the edge.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Eggz- Shiek outranges Mario more though. It is easier to actually hit peach. Combos dont really make or break the matchup, as the game is based mainly on spacing and mindgames.

Shiek's spacing can **** Mario. In the rump... or anywhere else for that matter D=

Peach is just hard to kill, and outranges Mario only a little bit.

MARIO WATCH OUT SON.

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
I agree with Ka, Peach just kinda floats there and can get owned by Mario's fast kill moves and uairs. Plus Mario's cape helps for turnip spam and messing with Peach's recovery, which isn't necessarily hard to take out anyways, especially with Mario's bair. Lastly, it's hard for Peach to deal with the fireball spam because it bounces around Peach's whole general range of movement.

Annnnddd... Sheik is a cheap *******.

Lucky_Sharmz19

Smash Ace
Mediocre Man said:
Mario Pichu is definitly in Mario's favor. It's like fighting a lighter version of pikachu that cant kill you.

Pichu
+Good grab game
+Good combo game
+Pichu is EXTREMELY light
+Pichu can be chainthrown
+Pichu has a predictable recovery
+Pichu is garbage
+Pichu is more KO ******** than Mario
+Pichu has no edges whatsoever on Mario.
+Dthrow fsmash ftautokill
Silent Wolf said:
you can easily DI out of pichus fsmash so you dont even get hit by the strong part.
does pichu's fsmash reach ppl on the ledge like pikachus?
Gea said:
If you do it while Mario up+b's, I'm pretty sure it hits his head and that will kill you. On stage though Fsmash isn't as reliable and in my opinion JC usmashes are the way to go. (For pichu to get kills) or just nair off and edgeguard...

Oh yeah and mario, like most of the cast, is good uair bait.

Duh Mario wins, but you know, Pichu doesn't have a TOTAL lack of things to utilize.
Silent Wolf said:
Keep in mind that you can smash DI the fsmash towards the stcge and tech.

Gea said:
Yeah, but then you can either go for another sweetspot, or up+b onto the stage and either way he can just fsmash again. On the same note, can't pichu DI the throw so the fsmash doesn't hit/doesn't sweetspot? I mean, while the Mario could keep teching...that doesn't mean its not a good/effective way to edgeguard.

Honestly my biggest point was PIchu's recovery > Mario's. That's it. There's not much to dispute. If the pichu lands correctly, there is a 1 frame lag. Pichu can recover from further away and has more options of escaping edgeguarding (in terms of HOW he recovers) than Mario. If anyone is predictable its Mario (easy to hog once you hit him out enough)

Does this really swing the matchup at all? Nah, not really. Pichu will most likely get blastline KO'd is all. But it annoys me when people say a character has NO edge whatso ever. Even matches where Sheik can grab and take a stock off, the character has SOME advantage in some way, it just doesn't counter the chainthrows advantage at all.

I think that is all of it.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Thanks for the input, I took that thread into consideration when I revised the list. I made alot of changes, such as replacing most of my random slang abuse with intelligent speech. Massive-ish updates on the first post.

Lucky_Sharmz19

Smash Ace
Eggz said:
KirbySIZE]
+Kirby is really light, thus easy to KO
+A character as terrible as Kirby makes inability to combo not matter so much for Mario
+Easy to approach
-decent recovery

Eggz said:
Pichu
+Mario has a very good
+Edgeguarded easily due to slow up B and laggy stuff
+Very easy to KO due to extremely light weight and comboability
+Pichu is the worst character in the game
-Pichu can't KO worth jack

You should fix that.

Lucky_Sharmz19

Smash Ace
Eggz said:
Pikachu
+Good grab game
+Good combo game
+Chu is light
+Chu can be throw-chained
+Chu has a semi-predictable recovery
-Usmash kills Mario good

Kirby

Young Link
+Combo Game
+Light, thus easy to KO
+A straightforward recovery makes edgeguarding easier
+YL is garbage
-Projectiles are ****ing annoying, but owell. lol

The word Kirby is between those two sections as well.

Eggz

Smash Hero
You should give input on things that arn't discussed yet. There are a few matchups that arn't mentioned I think. Zelda is one of them.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Sheik I think is Down 0-75 or somewhere close to that. I have one thing I would like to say about the list personally I have more trouble against Samus then I do Sheik, I'm not saying Sheik is an easy opponent but I don't think it's Mario's worst...thats just my opinion though

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm, peach in the red eh? now that i think about it, that seems right. good insight, good thread.

<3 lurking every single character specific lol

Eggz

Smash Hero
Ganon's range and what not are too good vs Mario. Comboing only goes so far when 120% for ganon = 70% for mario, good DI expected.

I think Falcon may be orange, but fox seems pretty even to me. I think you're just really amazing at the game Otto.

Not like suck your **** amazing.

Like your fox is too fast for me to grab and good at reading me amazing.

Otto, can you sticky this?

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Imo Marth and Peach are marios only serve disadvantage matchups. I think mario vs falcon and samus is even. Sheik is only a slight advantage too imo (btw captain jack used to think mario had the advantage on sheik). I think fox has a slight advantage on mario. And i think mario has a slight advantage on gannon and doc.

What i really am curious to hear is what good players think are marios best stages vs each of the characters.

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
SH-Cape-Uairl-Grab
SH-Cape-ShieldGrab

These work best when they are fastfalled or with Mario's Cape that doesn't float as much.

(If you use cape then land during the duration of an aerial next time you use cape it won't float as much)

Useful against Peach and Samus because Cape has slightly more aerial range than Mario's D-smash and Cape has enough priority to block some attacks.

SH-Cape-Nair
SH-Cape-Fairl-Usmash
These also work best when it is fastfalled or with Mario's Cape that doesn't float as much.

Useful against Marth because Cape has slightly more aerial range than Mario's D-smash and marth's arm can be caped when he does his disjointed sword moves.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Look at the ridiculous combos that I listed!
All of those combos are almost completely useless in real, competitive play. The reason people don't use SH cape is because the lag afterwards is completely horrendous. Unless your opponent has the reaction time of Aunt Jemima's molasses, they'll react and punish you before you can pull out your next attack.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Imo Marth and Peach are marios only serve disadvantage matchups. I think mario vs falcon and samus is even. Sheik is only a slight advantage too imo (btw captain jack used to think mario had the advantage on sheik). I think fox has a slight advantage on mario. And i think mario has a slight advantage on gannon and doc.

What i really am curious to hear is what good players think are marios best stages vs each of the characters.
Why do you think that? Just asking for some reasoning before I start arguing.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Marth and mario are even

Peach owns mario

fox owns mario

sheik owns mario

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
The match-ups are pretty decent. Knowing that even I can't even go combo crazy on a Samus as much as this thread says it's easy to do. Aren't you missing some stages, though? If you're still working on this thread, then nevermind. :laugh:

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
Mario's SH-CAPE can be either the normal floaty for recovery style or slighty floating like Dr. Mario's Cape. The slightly foating cape can be done by doing Cape in the air and following it up by landing on the ground with an aerial. Your next Cape will not float very much. However using Cape this way is much more difficult than normal Cape.

Scince this could be confusing I will call the falling Cape SH-D-CAPE.

Using SH-D-CAPE

SH-D-CAPE-Shieldgrab
Using the falling Cape IS THE ONLY WAY you could preform a SH-CAPE Shieldgrab because otherwise it would waste too much time.

SH-D-CAPE-UAIRL-GRAB
This is the most dificult to pull of as a D-CAPE. If done correctly thr U-air should have to preformed instantly once the Cape Duration ends otherwise Mario may just land on his head during the U-air with no damage.

SH-CAPE-FAIRL-USMASH
This is also dificult to pull of as a D-CAPE however this one may not need to be D-CAPED because even without it Fastfalling may be fast enough. This combo can lead into other D-Cape combos.

SH-CAPE-NAIR
This is very fast and easy to preform and can lead into D-Cape combos.

SH-CAPE-DAIR
This also can lead into grabs when it is fastfalled or D-Caped. It can lead into other D-Cape combos.

The Matchups are OK except cape has enough range and priority to not be utterly outclassed

Eggz

Smash Hero
Yeah, I just resurrected this thread, and I'm just now getting stages down as I find time. I'm starting out with neutral onry.

Eggz

Smash Hero
That doesn't change the fact that a matchup will be impossible. I'm pretty sure me losing to a much worse Shiek than me wouldn't make it "depend on the player".

That hasn't happened btw. XD

But yeah. Matchups are important.

Smash Journeyman
Marth and mario are even

Peach owns mario

fox owns mario

sheik owns mario
i believe mario is even with all the characters except peach while its clear fox does have an advantage and sheik. i feel mario goes even with them.

i havent seen one mario and fox matchup where it was even or down stock to stock.
falco puts up a better fight to me than fox.

since mario can combo fox very well and edge guard him thoroughly. while fox can
spam shl and upthrow upsmashes.

Top Bottom