• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Matchups! Updated May 15, 2007! Only missing Zelda!

Lucky_Sharmz19

Smash Ace
How can Mario edgeguard Marth? Marth could probably foil every attempt that Mario makes to edgeguard him. Marth could just knock away Mario with his U air or F air.

you can do that lightshiled trick. or stay on the edge and when he comes, nair him (reverse) while your invincible. its works wonders.

Gea

Smash Master
Or bair him in between his dancing blade (or whatever its called). Its harder but can be done. Or hog and roll...the thing about Marth is you gotta be quick to start your edgeguard or his up + B just whacks you away.

Eggz

Smash Hero
The lightshield trick doesnt work unless you are fox or falco Otto.

Against Marth, the best way to edgeguard is to just get out there and bair him. Anything else is pretty pointless and probably inferior. A ledgedropped or ledgehopped bair will basically guarentee a successful ledgeguard.

I found that if you can do your shff uairs as fast as possible, then it is actually really easy to uair luigi into an fsmash. Easier than even ganon or something. You can chain like 3-5 together and still fsmash.Its pretty cool.

I dont have time to go through the other pages, so if someone can sum up the DK Vs Mario matchup in the proper format, then ill put it on the first page. (Laziness prevails)

mr. wrong said:
The lightshield trick doesnt work unless you are fox or falco Otto.
youre wrong.
anyone can do it.
why didnt you and your crew go to toris house on friday, afro justin wouldnt stop making me laugh. or anyone alse stop lol.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Me and ammon tried it, Marth grabs the edge before Mario can. Do you have to fastfall the edgehog or something?

We couldnt make it because we can almost never drive anywhere. I could've gotten a ride to SEA ****ING TAC, but that would've resulted in me not getting new clothes next week.

Gea

Smash Master
Mario should win after he gets a grab in. He's a smidge too light to get uaired too terribly much, and assuming both characters know the matchup it goes to Mario has long as he is very careful of "preset DK stuff" like cargo -> uairs and throw -> donkey punch, or jumping out and up + B edgeguarding.

And...interestingly enough, you can kinda "noob" DKs over with your dair. This isn't like zomg end of all things ever but you can sometimes get a few consecutive dthrows but slowly drifting backwards a dair after it so that all the hits hit DK but they can't DI behind you. Or you know, you can do just about anything out of a grab. Just get past his dtilt and you have a grab. Or wait for a fair, dodge, and you have a grab.

The main think DK has over you is range. Which makes standing in front of him dangerous, because he can mindgame fsmash on you. Just play more defensively and its your match. He just gets combo'd too easily, besides bair he doesn't have much on you aerially (besides minor stuff anyways, or out of throws) his cone-head pokes out of his shield often, and you can spam fireballs because DK doesn't handle projectiles the best.

However if the Mario didn't know the matchup and underestimated DK the DK has it in the bag. Its not easy for Mario to edgeguard DK well beyond hogging. But luckily, that works alot of the time.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Im pretty sure its actually only space animals.

How was homecoming Reggie?

I was fighting DK with my Roy yesterday...that was annoying. But thats because Roy is so fat...</meaningless post>

Ive seen samus do it, and she sure as hell aint no fast faller, lol. im positive kirby can do it, is he a fastfaller? i dont think so, lol. ill try it with mario then. maybe you guys arent lightshielding good enough haha

Eggz

Smash Hero
We should all go to Otto's homecoming instead of gameclucks this month. Lawl.

Why would I fight DK with Mario? LoL Ka's tertiary he never uses...= my tertiary I just picked up.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
the light shield trick is a combination of factors

it depends on shield size, because the earlier marth hits your shield, the earlier you edgehog him, and falling speed because then you fall before him. Sometimes certain characters like roy can get away with doing that edgehog if the marth doesn't sweetspot 100% correctly, but if marth sweetspots right, by the time it hits roy's shield marth has the edge.

It works for kirby because his short statur allows him to put his shield under the edge a decent distance and he doesnt have to fall as much a distance to grab the edge, even if marth correctly sweetspots, but I've never heard of samus doing it, but maybe she can get away with it if marth doesnt correctly sweetspot, or maybe im wrong.

So while anyone can do it, there are a few characters who cant grab the edge before marth.

the light shield trick is a combination of factors

it depends on shield size, because the earlier marth hits your shield, the earlier you edgehog him, and falling speed because then you fall before him. Sometimes certain characters like roy can get away with doing that edgehog if the marth doesn't sweetspot 100% correctly, but if marth sweetspots right, by the time it hits roy's shield marth has the edge.

It works for kirby because his short statur allows him to put his shield under the edge a decent distance and he doesnt have to fall as much a distance to grab the edge, even if marth correctly sweetspots, but I've never heard of samus doing it, but maybe she can get away with it if marth doesnt correctly sweetspot, or maybe im wrong.

So while anyone can do it, there are a few characters who cant grab the edge before marth.
its not that kirby has to fall less distance, its cause marth hits his shield earlier cause of his height. i though if samus DIs her shield down and towards the ledge she could do it.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
That might be the case, or maybe she has to fastfall, I'm not sure.

Shrug the height thing was just a little theory of mine guess that has no effect on it just the shield size.

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
my therie iz 2 ply gud n use lots of mindgams. gotta ply gud, gotta use da mingames son. dat tehcniqual **** is 4 nubz

XLR8

Smash Journeyman
NOOB! Heh, but seriously, with Mario I think the right stage is always the one your opponent is bad on. It's hard to find a Mario stage he constently ***** all characters on.

The Cape

Smash Master
MM, you have to IM me some day and ask me questions about these matchups. Otherwise I wont do anything on this (too lazy).

Top Bottom