• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Matchups! Updated May 15, 2007! Only missing Zelda!

Mr.C

Smash Master
As ICs I don't think you can CG mario, or even combo him if the mario DIs correctly (which all my opponents do). All I can do out of a grab is a smash. What chaingrabs excactly are mario prone to?
its called the wobble =)

psicicle

Smash Ace
d throw d air does not work. I have tried it and it's easy as hell for mario to DI out of it. It's actually like any direction away works.

Also, I don't play with wobbles not because I thik it's honorable or something, but because I want to spend my time learning other techs to flesh out my ICs.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
everytime I see this topic, it makes me want to battle Zelda....

Although I don't have any good information on it myself. PacStrife made a good post on the matchup in the "All-Characters Match-Up Chart" thread. If you don't know, Pac plays a very ultra spiffy Mario (don't base him on that really really really old combo vid) and also knows how to control several other characters... including Zelda, so I think his view is probably quite reliable.

PacStrife said:
So, I was just wondering about the Mario vs. zelda matchup. You have it as a 6 in Mario's favor. I really don't see this. I have been going over it in my mind and I'm really not sure of any advantages Mario has in that matchup. Every aerial he has can be easily punished with a toe. He can't really combo zelda at all, therefore makes it even harder for him to kill her. Mario's only kill move is really the forward smash, so he can't even get a verticle KO against her. So basically we are left with a battle where Mario cannot approach zelda at all really. Short hoped approaches ;lead to toes and fireballs, although mostly ineffective as a projectile are even more usless as zelda has a reflector too. As long as the zelda can just space toes correctly, this match is pretty easy for her. idk maybe it's just me, but I would rather fight sheik with mario then zelda. At least you can combo sheik pretty well with him. Even though I know it still is a very undesiriable matchup.

So yeah, if someone could just help me out understanding why the mario vs. zelda matchup is set the way it is. IMO it should probably be at least 7 in zelda's favor. Great thread as always btw.
So, hopefully that helps this out some.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I don't mean to be a pest but....

Samus
+Cape projectiles
+Good comboing
+Decent comboing

+Fsmash easily outprioritizes almost all of Samus' moves if spaced properly
-Samus lives long
-Semi-decent combo breaking
-Kills you easily
...Good comboing AND Decent comboing on Samus?
Ok glad I just got that out of the way

mario-man

Smash Lord
Isn't Marth hard to combo?? I MAY have gotten my sister to play again. She was using Luigi and I suggested she would like the game better if she changed characters. I said to try MARTH OF ALL PEOPLE!!! MARTH!!!!!! I'm such a genious sometimes...*open mouth, insert foot* At least I got her playin again. Hopefully.

boss8

Smash Hero
Isn't Marth hard to combo?? I MAY have gotten my sister to play again. She was using Luigi and I suggested she would like the game better if she changed characters. I said to try MARTH OF ALL PEOPLE!!! MARTH!!!!!! I'm such a genious sometimes...*open mouth, insert foot* At least I got her playin again. Hopefully.
marth is easy to combo,once u get him in a cycle ddon't stop until otherwise.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's the trick. "Once you get him in the cycle" you've got to get to him first.

Zackular

Smash Cadet
I just went over the Zelda vs. Mario matchup that PacStrife posted, and although he does have several good points, if the Mario has a good side-step game and bait game against the Zelda, wouldn't that turn the matchup more in Mario's favor?

-PM-

Smash Ace
i side step and fireball alot against zelda and it works out very well in all honesty you only have to watch out for that lightning kick

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
In a sense though, that is saying "As long as you avoid 90% of their attacks, you'll be fine." since the Toe = Zelda's game.

I can see how forcing them to whiff the move could work though, perhaps setting them up for a wavetilt or Uair/Nair.

This thread still makes me want to fight Zelda, dagnabbit.

boss8

Smash Hero
zelda/shiek is so fun to combo,once she's in the air. plus what would be stronger even with DI, shieks dthrow to fair, or mario's dthrow to Fsmash,specially on a small stage,never take shiek/zelda to dreamland.cause you will have a really hard time to kill her.

Zackular

Smash Cadet
zelda/shiek is so fun to combo,once she's in the air. plus what would be stronger even with DI, shieks dthrow to fair, or mario's dthrow to Fsmash,specially on a small stage,
I have enough trouble getting the Sheik into the air. I need more pointers before I even hope to beat one of my friends it seems. The closest I come is one-stock, while he has one suicide. I'm going to read that whole paragraph thing about fighting her.

never take shiek/zelda to dreamland.cause you will have a really hard time to kill her.
Amen. But, if the Sheik has good DI, it's hard to kill her virtually anywhere. I have a fun time at Yoshi's and Fountain, but it's just as easy for her to kill me as it is vice versa.

All in all, I hate Sheik.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Look a few posts before.^^^ We discussed Marth matchups previously. I don't know about Link.

Miss Confetti

Smash Rookie
OoO, I see.. so, dgrab to start off the comboing and keep going.
Still a little stuck with Link.
Better to grab the bombs right? If you try caping it just explodes and still hits you if timed wrongly.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
Zackular, first I must thank you for being an overall intelligent poster; and having a nifty name.

Now, getting sheik into the air can be done with Uthrow at low percentages if you want to follow with juggles from U-tilts and Usmashes instead of chainthrowing, which would be done with Dthrows. Once you get to mid-low percents Uthrow isn't advisable and you should stick with Dthrow to set up your U-tilt and Uair juggles.

Yes, this all depends on grabbing her first... which is no fun. Also keep in mind I rarely fight sheik so this could be false information.

EDIT: Miss Confetti, just reverse-cape the bombs by caping in the opposite direction... they no explode in your face then. Yay I got to type the word face.

Miss Confetti

Smash Rookie
Hm, well.
I tried beating my friend's Link, but he spams projectiles and then attacks.
It's hard to avoid, any pointers on how to beat him?

Eggz

Smash Hero
Just roll around or jump around the projectiles. Cape them, grab them, fireball them.

You can outdo Link in projectiles, because yours are pretty much faster, and you have more angles to throw them from. So just jump and fireball until hes bored enough to attack, or just bum rush him by shield dashing, or running up and shielding.

boss8

Smash Hero
Just roll around or jump around the projectiles. Cape them, grab them, fireball them.

You can outdo Link in projectiles, because yours are pretty much faster, and you have more angles to throw them from. So just jump and fireball until hes bored enough to attack, or just bum rush him by shield dashing, or running up and shielding.
like vs deva link,lol it's mario sexy time.

Taktikz

Smash Cadet
with the in mario's favor column, i dunno pichu is a monster if u can play as him (i can and i beast on ppl with him) and Samus really should be in there in place of Pichu because from my personal experience, Samus gets owned by a talented mario/dr. mario player. most of samus' moves can be caped and Samus is and easy target for his meteor. (could go deeper but looking for mario videos)

Eggz

Smash Hero
with the in mario's favor column, i dunno pichu is a monster if u can play as him (i can and i beast on ppl with him) and Samus really should be in there in place of Pichu because from my personal experience, Samus gets owned by a talented mario/dr. mario player. most of samus' moves can be caped and Samus is and easy target for his meteor. (could go deeper but looking for mario videos)
Maybe you should play Aftermath. xD (I would say HugS, but Aftermath is the best i've played.)

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Eggz, shouldn't we update the Zelda match-up? It's been 3 months, a week, and 2 days since you updated your match-up list.

Top Bottom