• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's DownB Solved? The Wisdom of the Blue Shock Waves!

B.W.

Smash Champion
wait, on the website, didn't it say something about the tornado being a special move as in neutral B? then a fireball could be the forward+b. We've seen four b moves for him, up b is obvious, down b is comfirmed, so either tornado could be forward and b or B, and fireball could be forward and b or B
Doubt it cause we've seen the fireball and the cape too, so unless they decided to completely screw with his moveset the fireball and cape are gonna remain the side-B and B.

shanus

Smash Hero
Doubt it cause we've seen the fireball and the cape too, so unless they decided to completely screw with his moveset the fireball and cape are gonna remain the side-B and B.
when did we see the cape?

Eyemeralds

Smash Rookie
Well... I sorta thought it would replace Mario's UAir since it DOES move upwards, and his old one is just a backflip....but its a nice move like his DAir and has a larger hitbox and does some decent knock back. The world may never know...lol.

shanus

Smash Hero
I seriously think its a replacement for dair. It doesnt seem like sakurai to totally mesh two unrelated moves into a down+B ground vs air. I cant think of any past examples of down+bs not relating to their ground counterparts in melee, it seems like a poor control scheme then.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Anyone considered that once the F.L.U.D.D. is out of water Mario abandons it and re dons his Tornado?

tijmenzwaan

Smash Rookie
Anyone considered that once the F.L.U.D.D. is out of water Mario abandons it and re dons his Tornado?
I don't think so, it would be very stupid if you use an attack in a battle, and suddenly you can't use it anymore. if that would be the case, they have to make a water pool on every stage to refill your f.l.u.d.d., or something. I think it's going to be his down tilt/aerial or something.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's either a:

-nZair attack (like Link's hookshot): No one else remembers these, but if it was a nZair attack, it'd be neat=do FLUDD anytime.

-dB in air: Since I don't remember the abilitiy to use FLUDD in SMS [I beat it 6 times :grin:], the Mario Tornado COULD be the dB [most likely probabl][y. However...nah, I doubt you could use FLUDD as a dB for recovery...

-dAir: Yes, it's still likely since it looks somewat similar to the animation of Marios dAir in Melee. But the major diffrence is his armspan, and the hitboxes we've seen thus far. :)

So ya, those are the only 3 real possibilities. Which one...Sakurai is the king of the mindgame. More questions then answers, as always. XD

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I think it's funny how some of the people here refuse to believe that Mario Tornado is no longer a Special move.

"uh? What happened to the down special move he’s had up until now—the Mario Tornado?

He still seems to have this move, though.
Eh? Is it a normal attack?!"

So how many times has Sakurai asked a rhetorical question where the answer was "no"? This is like the Samus and Zero Suit Samus 'mystery' all over again. The trailer showed Samus use a super powerful move never before seen and then transform into Zamus as a result, yet people repressed it from their minds and pretended that Sakurai had left us clueless.

Bottom line. I predict a 95% chance that Mario tornado is now his d-air move. D-air isn't very popular when playing Mario in Melee, and there are no screenshots or videos showing the move being performed on the ground.

So please, don't be ignorant like the many in the Samus/Zamus case. It's not something he outright emphasized, so your first guess is probably your best.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I say that the Mario Tornado replaces his very poor Drill Kick (Dair) that he has had for the past 2 games.... Bye Drill Kick Hello Shffled Mario tornado! Wavedash to Shffl Mario Tornado will look like PURE OWNAGE!

Top Bottom